Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Print grey on grey versions of all the shock lands, and have them tap for colorless mana. We'll have dull lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Print yellow-filtered versions of the duals, they tap for W plus one of their colours, we can have Dole lands.
(That will never happen, MaRo's hatred of bananas is RUINING MAGIC)

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Print versions of the fetches with explicit orgy scenes as their art. We'll have do-all lands

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Pack each new Shock with a bullet. They'll be duel lands.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Print fetches that only fetch snow covered basics, and then don't print any snow covered basics.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Where's "Mono-black control is BACK, BABY!" :colbert:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

put this in OP please

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Where's the Birds of Paradise have a combat ability and are basically a time walk box, you're ruining megathread bingo.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Print versions of the fetches with jokes as their flavor text. We can have droll lands.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Package new versions of snow covered duals in ice covered slobber. Drool Lands.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Have artists scribble out art for the new lands in the margins of other art. Doodle lands.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Lands that fall apart when you try to tap them. Fool's Lands.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Lands that run the Kessel spice mines. Moruth Doole lands.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

An entire 10-card cycle that's just variants on Taiga. Gruul lands.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I wonder when they're going to repeal the reserve list and reprint dual lands. They could make so much money.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

jassi007 posted:

I wonder when they're going to repeal the reserve list and reprint dual lands. They could make so much money.

As long as some people want to talk about the RL, I've never understood how it's in any way, legally binding. Wasn't it just a glorified 'we promise'?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Short version: It could be held as binding under the doctrine of promissory estoppel and more to the point WotC doesn't want to get involved in litigation with its own collectors, vendors, and players.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

ScarletBrother posted:

As long as some people want to talk about the RL, I've never understood how it's in any way, legally binding. Wasn't it just a glorified 'we promise'?

They're not going to remove it, at least officially, because they don't want to go back on their promise. The real reason is something that they're not allowed to discuss.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Thanks for the succinct replies. :)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Reprint Blacker Lotus in M15... as Mythic.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

jassi007 posted:

I've always assumed that they've been holding on to that plan until the day that everything else they've tried doesn't work and they just can't stop people from leaving the game in droves. They'll basically print Vintage Masters IRL as a last ditch effort to get just a few more sales out of a dying game.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MTGO is firm evidence that "...could make more money..." has basically zero bearing on any decision WOTC makes though. You can summarize any number of brilliant, fully conceptualized all encompassing arguments for or against then go download the beta client and feel the power of logic drain down your pants leg.

I think they just kinda do what they feel like and the game is pretty sweet atm so oh well?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Applebees posted:

News about Grand Prix byes: byes will be awarded based on yearly Planeswalker Points total, and three-round byes based on Planeswalker Points will no longer be offered.

I'm actually rather pleased with this. Things are probably better now that I moved, but there were just no events in Florida, and the closest out of state location was Atlanta...10 hours away. Unless MTG is ALL you do, or you live right at the north edge of the state, it's impossible to have a job, a life, and somehow drive to enough events to get points. As such, I always came up just shy each season, or at best scored a single bye, but if it was going by yearly I have my two byes locked up easily by the second season.

As an aside, and I know I asked before many moons ago, anyone here from the Grand Rapids area? Looking to find a store worth playing at regularly, and I'd also like to find enough players I don't hate to put together a regular Cube and/or Commander group.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Promoted Pawn posted:

I've always assumed that they've been holding on to that plan until the day that everything else they've tried doesn't work and they just can't stop people from leaving the game in droves. They'll basically print Vintage Masters IRL as a last ditch effort to get just a few more sales out of a dying game.

Maro has said many times that power creep boosts sales in the short term but hurts the game in the long run. So, if Magic starts dying, Wizards will start jacking up the power level of Standard higher and higher each year to goose that quarter's profit margin. They wouldn't have to print Vintage Masters; eventually some big fall set will have the functional equivalent of the Power Nine, maybe tweaked just enough to not violate the Reserve List. And then next year, a Lotus that sacs for 4, and so on until the game self-destructs.

Still, at this point the only thing bigger than Magic is it's player's waistlines, so I doubt we'll see this scenario soon.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Gynovore posted:

Maro has said many times that power creep boosts sales in the short term but hurts the game in the long run. So, if Magic starts dying, Wizards will start jacking up the power level of Standard higher and higher each year to goose that quarter's profit margin. They wouldn't have to print Vintage Masters; eventually some big fall set will have the functional equivalent of the Power Nine, maybe tweaked just enough to not violate the Reserve List. And then next year, a Lotus that sacs for 4, and so on until the game self-destructs.

Still, at this point the only thing bigger than Magic is it's player's waistlines, so I doubt we'll see this scenario soon.

Doesn't Yugioh TCG basically do this and they've been around how long?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Thor-Stryker posted:

Doesn't Yugioh TCG basically do this and they've been around how long?

Yugioh isn't really a good comparison for MtG for a couple reasons. The biggest one is Yugioh the game is just one part of Yugioh the franchise, as opposed to Magic where the game is the franchise, and the other one being a very different audience.

Also, Yugioh's a really loving bad game. It's awful. It's turn one poo poo my dudes onto the field say go oh you didn't poo poo your dudes out game over.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Short version: It could be held as binding under the doctrine of promissory estoppel and more to the point WotC doesn't want to get involved in litigation with its own collectors, vendors, and players.

I want to see the litigious wizard collectors make WOTC bankrupt over power tripping themselves cuz of their wizard fun bucks then cry because they now have no game. It will be pretty hilarious. There is literally no power they have - WOTC has magic held hostage.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Literally The Worst posted:

Also, Yugioh's a really loving bad game. It's awful. It's turn one poo poo my dudes onto the field say go oh you didn't poo poo your dudes out game over.

The cards are also really loving ugly, I want this said every time it comes up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

Yugioh isn't really a good comparison for MtG for a couple reasons. The biggest one is Yugioh the game is just one part of Yugioh the franchise, as opposed to Magic where the game is the franchise, and the other one being a very different audience.

If anything, the success of yugioh in spite of what a fundamentally flawed, lovely game it speaks volumes about how powerful a commercial impact having a product tie-in like a tv show is for the game, and how much Wizards dropped the ball by not setting up something similar for Magic (ignoring Duel Masters).

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Where's "stupid EDH arguments" on this bingo board?!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

Where's "stupid EDH arguments" on this bingo board?!

3rd down on the far left.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:catstare:

Are you loving serious?

I even googled it because I thought you were bullshitting me, that's a real card.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I used to love Yu Gi Oh, it's terrible but in a fun way (if you're playing bad decks with friends). I haven't played it for what, 10 years now though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I wonder what cubing Yugioh would be like...

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
All I remember about Yu-Gi-Oh is that first year it was out, and every game was essentially "play your entire hand in turn one" with no really interesting interactions aside from free board wipes I guess. Even Pokemon had a more interesting first year, since every game was "draw your entire deck with Professor Oaks/Computer Search/Item Finder and hope you beat your opponent before you deck yourself".

It was a race with all the different win conditions made possible. :allears:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheKingofSprings posted:

If anything, the success of yugioh in spite of what a fundamentally flawed, lovely game it speaks volumes about how powerful a commercial impact having a product tie-in like a tv show is for the game, and how much Wizards dropped the ball by not setting up something similar for Magic (ignoring Duel Masters).

You've got your orders reversed, though. THe game is a tie-in for the TV show, which started as a tie-in for the manga.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Count Bleck posted:

:catstare:

Are you loving serious?

I even googled it because I thought you were bullshitting me, that's a real card.

At least this one actually operates. It doesn't cause an infinite unbreakable loop or simply doesn't work as written or is a card you can only get by having won a specific tournament that is itself tournament legal or anything!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Prism posted:

At least this one actually operates. It doesn't cause an infinite unbreakable loop or simply doesn't work as written or is a card you can only get by having won a specific tournament that is itself tournament legal or anything!

I was going to link to the Weird Card Game Rules thread, but I can't find it in my bookmarks. Did it get deleted or archived?

VV: Humility/Opalescence was mentioned, but it was mostly a thread about odd interactions, or singular cards which didn't quite work. In Magic, I remember a great post by Orange Fluffy Sheep about how a lot of spells which featured souls (Remove Soul etc) would affect Soulless One, for instance.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Serperoth posted:

I was going to link to the Weird Card Game Rules thread, but I can't find it in my bookmarks. Did it get deleted or archived?

I hope it was a thread full of :supaburn:eugh idgi layers:supaburn:

• Locked thread