Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Dr Cheeto posted:

You're rocking a mATX board but you're putting it into an ATX case. Try replacing the Fractal Design Arc Midi with the Fractal Design Arc Mini.

Fractal Design Arc Mini R2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Is this important? I'm not sure if the one I ordered was the R2 or not :ohdear:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If anyone is interested in a video card, I'm selling a Radeon R9 290 for the price of a super cheap R9 280X or expensive GeForce 760: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638357

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 28, 2014

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

How does a Radeon 280X compare to a Geforce 770 for 1080p gaming, and possibly 1440 in a few years?

The 770 seems more expensive across the board, but I haven't heard whether is preforms better.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Caddrel posted:

How does a Radeon 280X compare to a Geforce 770 for 1080p gaming, and possibly 1440 in a few years?

The 770 seems more expensive across the board, but I haven't heard whether is preforms better.

Directly comparable cards. The 280x seems to fall a tiny bit behind overall on paper. It's commonly said the 280x is better at 1440p, but that depends at what benchmarks you look at. Between the two I'd pick one based on whether or not you like AMD or nvidia if they were the same price honestly, or if there is a specific game or group of games one does better than the other. Some benchmarks show that it is almost always a little behind a 770, some show that its on par with or a tiny bit ahead in some games (1080p and 1440p) but then some are using reference, some are using aftermarket, then both of those are comparing numbers to cards that are or are not reference 770's...

With the game releases this month you'll probably hear "more vram more bandwidth get that one", and really you can't go wrong with that. However based on benchmarks it seems to be bottlenecked in plain raw processing power before that happens. Otherwise you'd expect to see it to pull away at 1440p, like you can see with 290's and 780's where it is much more obvious.

Anyways pick one its all good

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Caddrel posted:

280X has more VRAM for the same price, which turns out is something that is mattering sooner than we thought (see Watch_Dogs).

General performance is basically the same.

BigJimSlade
Sep 18, 2004

In the event of zombie apocalypse, this thread comes equipped with BIG JIM SLADE!
I've decided on this build and ordered the parts-

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For £159.67)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For £66.78)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For £63.61)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £39.50)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card (Purchased For £233.99)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For £75.98)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For £67.14)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For £11.79)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For £69.72)
Total: £788.18
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-28 22:30 BST+0100)

Not listed is the SSD (840 EVO 250GB) which I already have. The PSU is overkill but for some reason the Seasonic 550W Gold is stupidly expensive in the UK and there aren't that many other choices from what I can see on PCPartPicker.

My SSD didn't come with any cables, are they usually supplied with the motherboard or do I have to order them separately? Any other cables or bits I need to get?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

BigJimSlade posted:

I've decided on this build and ordered the parts-

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For £159.67)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For £66.78)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For £63.61)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £39.50)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card (Purchased For £233.99)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For £75.98)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For £67.14)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For £11.79)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For £69.72)
Total: £788.18
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-28 22:30 BST+0100)

Not listed is the SSD (840 EVO 250GB) which I already have. The PSU is overkill but for some reason the Seasonic 550W Gold is stupidly expensive in the UK and there aren't that many other choices from what I can see on PCPartPicker.

My SSD didn't come with any cables, are they usually supplied with the motherboard or do I have to order them separately? Any other cables or bits I need to get?

Usually supplied SATA cables.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Is this important? I'm not sure if the one I ordered was the R2 or not :ohdear:

The non-R2 is fairly rare, in fact newegg decided that they "discontinued" the R2 and it's selling it as the plain "Fractal Design Arc Mini", the R2 is iterative but much better thought out than the non R2.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

deimos posted:

The non-R2 is fairly rare, in fact newegg decided that they "discontinued" the R2 and it's selling it as the plain "Fractal Design Arc Mini", the R2 is iterative but much better thought out than the non R2.

I checked and it does indeed seem like I bought the non-R2. Is it going to be awful?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hey, I saved up some money and I think I'm ready to build my rear end a gaming desktop that'll last a decent while before really demanding an upgrade. Any thoughts on this build?

PCPartPicker List

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooling: Silverstone NT07-1156 40.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z97 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive AND Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card
Case: Silverstone SG02B-F-USB3.0 (Black) MicroATX Desktop Case
Power Supply: FSP Group 450W 80+ Silver Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer
Wireless Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Keyboard: Rosewill RK-700M Wired Standard Keyboard

This comes out to $1240, and I'm loathe to spend more than $1300, especially since I'm not buying windows or a monitor. Mostly going to be doing gaming (I'd like to get consistent 60FPS at 1080p and toy with going to 1200p) and gaming/other fields of computer science-related work on this.
Other questions:
I've been using my TV as a second screen to my laptop via HDMI - since my GPU has an HDMI port, there shouldn't be any problem making it the main monitor for my desktop, should it?
Can I assume that all of this will fit together and be functional if the PCPartsPicker compatability filter isn't raising any warnings?
Are there any overtly stupid purchases on there? Either where I'm paying too much or buying from a bad manufacturer or some such?

Any feedback'll be appreciated. This'll be my first build and I really don't want to cock it up.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 29, 2014

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
If you are getting both a CPU and motherboard capable of overclocking it would be a real shame not to spend $30 on a decent CPU cooler! I mean you can get by with the stock cooler but it's pretty noisy and you have no hope of ever overclocking, might as well buy the cheaper non-overclocking cpu/motherboadr instead.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

fletcher posted:

If you are getting both a CPU and motherboard capable of overclocking it would be a real shame not to spend $30 on a decent CPU cooler! I mean you can get by with the stock cooler but it's pretty noisy and you have no hope of ever overclocking, might as well buy the cheaper non-overclocking cpu/motherboadr instead.

Okay, I didn't know how thoroughly I needed a CPU cooler...though if I'd been smart and bothered to see how much they run for, I probably would have grabbed one just for giggles. Added a $25 one to the build in my previous post.

Everything else check out, then? Is there any way to tell/reason to think that I won't have enough slots or space in my case or motherboard to make this work?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 29, 2014

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Spiritus Nox posted:

(1) I've been using my TV as a second screen to my laptop via HDMI - since my GPU has an HDMI port, there shouldn't be any problem making it the main monitor for my desktop, should it?
(2) Can I assume that all of this will fit together and be functional if the PCPartsPicker compatability filter isn't raising any warnings?
(3) Are there any overtly stupid purchases on there? Either where I'm paying too much or buying from a bad manufacturer or some such?

(1) Nope shouldn't be any problem with making your TV the primary monitor for your desktop
(2) Yup that should all fit
(3) The SSD isn't as highly regarded as a Samsung EVO, but it's not a terrible one either. The 750GB Hitachi seems a little odd since I don't think they've made that drive for awhile, I'd go with a 1TB WD Blue or Red.

I would also switch that power supply out for a modular one from a manufacturer recommended in the OP, it won't be that much more expensive and it's definitely worth it.

That Silverstone CPU cooler is crap, you want the Cooler Master 212 EVO or if you can spend a little more, a Noctua (I found the noctua is a little easier to mount)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

fletcher posted:

That Silverstone CPU cooler is crap, you want the Cooler Master 212 EVO or if you can spend a little more, a Noctua (I found the noctua is a little easier to mount)

The compatibility filter on PCParts doesn't like the 212 EVO, what about the Cooler Master GeminII M4? Roughly the same price point, doesn't piss off the compatibility filter, reviews well on PCParts. Or is the filter wrong on this one?

Switched out my HDD for the 1TB WD blue.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 29, 2014

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Spiritus Nox posted:

The compatibility filter on PCParts doesn't like the 212 EVO, what about the Cooler Master GeminII M4? Roughly the same price point, doesn't piss off the compatibility filter, reviews well on PCParts. Or is the filter wrong on this one?

Switched out my HDD for the 1TB WD blue.

Ah probably because of the tiny case. I don't have any experience with smaller cases, may need somebody else in the thread to weigh in here.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

fletcher posted:

Ah probably because of the tiny case. I don't have any experience with smaller cases, may need somebody else in the thread to weigh in here.

Ah, yeah. I should have asked. I don't know poo poo about cases or motherboards. Is bigger better? Cheaper? Should I just get the cheapest case of my size? Should I be doing an ATX case/board instead of mATX?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Spiritus Nox posted:

Ah, yeah. I should have asked. I don't know poo poo about cases or motherboards. Is bigger better? Cheaper? Should I just get the cheapest case of my size? Should I be doing an ATX case/board instead of mATX?

Nope you should be good with MicroATX. If you have a specific need for additional PCI slots then I'd say go with a full ATX case/board. Bigger isn't necessarily better or cheaper, it's just easier to fit things inside of it, like that 212 EVO (or even your hands while you build the thing). If a small case is important to you it's definitely doable, I just don't have experience with it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

fletcher posted:

Nope you should be good with MicroATX. If you have a specific need for additional PCI slots then I'd say go with a full ATX case/board. Bigger isn't necessarily better or cheaper, it's just easier to fit things inside of it, like that 212 EVO (or even your hands while you build the thing). If a small case is important to you it's definitely doable, I just don't have experience with it.

A small case isn't actually that important to me, in hindsight - I just went with mATX because I clicked on the mATX motherboard link in the OP first and then figured I should match the case to it. Rereading the OP, I went with an ATX motherboard and tower. Here's my build now:

PCPartPicker List

CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive AND Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Actually comes out cheaper this way! Only a total of $1133.89.

Yay?

EDIT: Switched out the GTX 770 I had before, with 4 gigs of what I presume to be memory, for an ASUS model with 2 gigs and can save like 50 bucks. Will I miss those two extra gigs more than 50 bucks?

Edit2: ...One last thing that occurred to me. If I route my video into my TV via an HDMI cable, my sound will come out of my TV too, right? Just to make sure I don't need any speakers.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 29, 2014

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Grinnblade posted:

Is there anything I hosed up? And additionally, is this overkill?

edit: KB/Mouse are taken care of. Not sure of anything else I'm missing.

Okay, got the money, made a few changes due to availability, anybody want to give me a final go/no-go?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS24AH-P 24.0" Monitor ($227.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1325.86
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-28 22:13 EDT-0400)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Spiritus Nox posted:

A small case isn't actually that important to me, in hindsight - I just went with mATX because I clicked on the mATX motherboard link in the OP first and then figured I should match the case to it. Rereading the OP, I went with an ATX motherboard and tower. Here's my build now:

PCPartPicker List

CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive AND Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Actually comes out cheaper this way! Only a total of $1133.89.

Yay?

EDIT: Switched out the GTX 770 I had before, with 4 gigs of what I presume to be memory, for an ASUS model with 2 gigs and can save like 50 bucks. Will I miss those two extra gigs more than 50 bucks?

Now we're talking!! This build looks a lot better.

Jury is still out on the 2GB vs. 4GB thing I think, the past couple pages of the GPU megathread have some discussion of this. I went for a 4GB 770 and I have yet to use the other 2GB, still not sure if it was a waste though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

fletcher posted:

Now we're talking!! This build looks a lot better.

Jury is still out on the 2GB vs. 4GB thing I think, the past couple pages of the GPU megathread have some discussion of this. I went for a 4GB 770 and I have yet to use the other 2GB, still not sure if it was a waste though.

Bitchin'. Thanks for all your help. I'll ask around in the GPU thread before I decide on the 2GB vs 4GB 770, but once that's settled I should be all set to order. I'll post an update once I build it. ...Gulp. :ohdear:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 29, 2014

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Spiritus Nox posted:

Bitchin'. Thanks for all your help. I'll ask around in the GPU thread before I decide on the 2GB vs 4GB 770, but once that's settled I should be all set to order. I'll post an update once I build it. ...Gulp. :ohdear:

Right on, that is gonna be a beast of a computer.

Do note that a new version of the CPU you have chosen is set to be released next week (i5-4690K), so it may be worth waiting a little bit longer.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

fletcher posted:

Right on, that is gonna be a beast of a computer.

Do note that a new version of the CPU you have chosen is set to be released next week (i5-4690K), so it may be worth waiting a little bit longer.

Yeah, but I figure that'll be like a $100 dollar price hike or more over what I've got, right? I'd really rather not do that unless it just blows the current model way the gently caress out of the water.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ignoarints posted:

Directly comparable cards. The 280x seems to fall a tiny bit behind overall on paper. It's commonly said the 280x is better at 1440p, but that depends at what benchmarks you look at. Between the two I'd pick one based on whether or not you like AMD or nvidia if they were the same price honestly, or if there is a specific game or group of games one does better than the other. Some benchmarks show that it is almost always a little behind a 770, some show that its on par with or a tiny bit ahead in some games (1080p and 1440p) but then some are using reference, some are using aftermarket, then both of those are comparing numbers to cards that are or are not reference 770's...

With the game releases this month you'll probably hear "more vram more bandwidth get that one", and really you can't go wrong with that. However based on benchmarks it seems to be bottlenecked in plain raw processing power before that happens. Otherwise you'd expect to see it to pull away at 1440p, like you can see with 290's and 780's where it is much more obvious.

Anyways pick one its all good

HalloKitty posted:

280X has more VRAM for the same price, which turns out is something that is mattering sooner than we thought (see Watch_Dogs).

General performance is basically the same.

Cool, thanks to both of you for the advice.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, but I figure that'll be like a $100 dollar price hike or more over what I've got, right? I'd really rather not do that unless it just blows the current model way the gently caress out of the water.

The price will be very similar. The $100 price difference is for the 8 thread i7. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear as if the 4590k will actually be released on June 2nd (don't know why)

Since you're overclocking, the refresh processor might be worth the wait. If everything is as promised the thermal problem will be fixed. Haswells currently get hot, sometimes obscenely so, when overclocking. The only real fix is to literally put your CPU in a vice and hit it with a hammer to remove the top and remove the glue. It's not as bad as it sounds to do, but its certainly way worse than not having to do that.

Personally I'd see what the delay is all about first.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ignoarints posted:

The price will be very similar. The $100 price difference is for the 8 thread i7. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear as if the 4590k will actually be released on June 2nd (don't know why)

Since you're overclocking, the refresh processor might be worth the wait. If everything is as promised the thermal problem will be fixed. Haswells currently get hot, sometimes obscenely so, when overclocking. The only real fix is to literally put your CPU in a vice and hit it with a hammer to remove the top and remove the glue. It's not as bad as it sounds to do, but its certainly way worse than not having to do that.

Personally I'd see what the delay is all about first.

...Oh man. You make a good point...but on the other hand I'm really looking forward to having a better gaming rig than a 3-year old, hot-rear end alienware laptop...

gently caress it. I'll see what happens on June 2nd, then.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Oh man. You make a good point...but on the other hand I'm really looking forward to having a better gaming rig than a 3-year old, hot-rear end alienware laptop...

gently caress it. I'll see what happens on June 2nd, then.

If it's a real long delay I'd probably get a 4670k. But, delidding didn't bother me at all (I thought it was pretty cool). Not that you have to do that, but it would pretty much make the difference between the two negligible.

I was gonna get a 4790k but now that two games that "recommended" 8 threads actually proved to not need it at all, I probably won't.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 29, 2014

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Ignoarints posted:

If it's a real long delay I'd probably get a 4670k. But, delidding didn't bother me at all (I thought it was pretty cool). Not that you have to do that, but it would pretty much make the difference between the two negligible.

I was gonna get a 4790k but now that two games that "recommended" 8 threads actually proved to not need it at all, I probably won't.

Here's what you should get instead

Also you're a sick bastard for delidding, that sounds like some major surgery :lol:. The most I ever did was connect the bridges on my AMD Duron with a graphite pencil.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Hm. And now I'm leaning towards just getting what's out now. At any rate, while I decide: I understand I'll need to apply thermal paste when I'm building this - does that come with the CPU cooler?

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Hm. And now I'm leaning towards just getting what's out now. At any rate, while I decide: I understand I'll need to apply thermal paste when I'm building this - does that come with the CPU cooler?

I know this one. Yes you will and no it does not, generally.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Is 850 watts good enough for 780ti SLI? I won't have a second card in a while but I want to keep an eye out for sales. They will both be overclocked, I will probably end up with 2 120mm AIOs and 1x 140mm or 280mm for the CPU. My cpu is at 1.36-1.38 vcore, case fans, 2 ssd's, 1 hard drive, other basic stuff.

fletcher posted:

Here's what you should get instead

Also you're a sick bastard for delidding, that sounds like some major surgery :lol:. The most I ever did was connect the bridges on my AMD Duron with a graphite pencil.

Ha I remember doing that.

Delidding isn't nearly as bad as it sounds, but it is kind of silly that we have to. It can literally take 10 seconds to do the "scary" part. However it is the most warranty shredding thing you can do, and there is an inherent danger to exposing the CPU die. I'm sure there are some horror stories. Plenty have done it here. The results are crazy

I do need another ssd though man.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yes they all do. I'd still wait... if you can. Would suck rear end if they were shipping June 3rd. I mean that isn't going to happen, but you never know

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Grinnblade posted:

I know this one. Yes you will and no it does not, generally.

Ignoarints posted:

Yes they all do. I'd still wait... if you can. Would suck rear end if they were shipping June 3rd. I mean that isn't going to happen, but you never know

So, which is it?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, which is it?

Thermal paste? I've never seen any cooler that doesn't ship with thermal paste. That includes the evo 212 and stock cooler.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Got it. I think I'll pull the trigger on this as is. Overclocking is nice, but I don't think it'll bother me that much if other people are getting better gains than I am, especially considering the degree to which this'll be an improvement on what I have.

eBay Huckster
Jul 26, 2005

Ignoarints posted:

Is 850 watts good enough for 780ti SLI? I won't have a second card in a while but I want to keep an eye out for sales. They will both be overclocked, I will probably end up with 2 120mm AIOs and 1x 140mm or 280mm for the CPU. My cpu is at 1.36-1.38 vcore, case fans, 2 ssd's, 1 hard drive, other basic stuff.

850W should definitely be enough for that kind of setup, unless I'm horribly wrong about those cards' power requirements

eBay Huckster fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 29, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Parts are ordered and on their way. One last question: How long would the goon hivemind expect me and my dad to spend on our first build? I've heard anything from 30 minutes, which I doubt I'll manage from what I've seen, to 4 hours, which seems like a worst case "I got halfway through and had to start over from the beginning twice" scenario.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Parts are ordered and on their way. One last question: How long would the goon hivemind expect me and my dad to spend on our first build? I've heard anything from 30 minutes, which I doubt I'll manage from what I've seen, to 4 hours, which seems like a worst case "I got halfway through and had to start over from the beginning twice" scenario.

When you get right down to it, it really isn't a lot of parts to put in. I'd say two hours is the absolute maximum for the actual building process, and that's with super-careful first timers. Then maybe a hour to set up the OS, drivers, etc.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Spiritus Nox posted:

2-3 hours, usually. Less if you've got an SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

When you get right down to it, it really isn't a lot of parts to put in. I'd say two hours is the absolute maximum for the actual building process, and that's with super-careful first timers. Then maybe a hour to set up the OS, drivers, etc.

That's what I was thinking. Watching the Newegg tutorial, the only part that intimidates me at all is installing the heatsink on the CPU. Everything else looks tedious at worst.

• Locked thread