Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Edmund Honda posted:

Terrible week for the Vita (worst since October, right before the new SKU launch), not great for the 3DS either.

We assuming that bump on the Wii U is MK8 business? It's up ~34% on the back of no software in the top 20 so it's either that or a price change that I don't know anything about.

I'd imagine its run up to the game's release, yeah. Still fairly minor of course, and I'd suspect it'd be a minor bump than a major surge or the like. Still, amusing to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Surely the Japanese market reacted to the announcement of Pushmo for the Wii U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuU8-hTDBdg

6/19 in Japan

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I reacted to it because Pushmo owns, but there's probably less than 50,000 pushmo fans in the entire world

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Is it the same game? I was hoping for another innovation like the way of Crashmo. Both own. I can't imagine them being console games, though.

Remastered soundtrack is good, though. Time to get this loving song stuck in my head while the game mocks me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's a sequel, it has at least 4 new block types and a few new environments, and the ability to share/download custom levels in-game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Edmund Honda posted:

Another bad week for the Vita (2nd worst since October after last week, right before the new SKU launch), not great for the 3DS either.

We assuming that bump on the Wii U is MK8 business? It's up ~34% on the back of no software in the top 20 so it's either that or a price change that I don't know anything about.

ed: missed a week

It's definitely a really bad week, but given how poorly the 3DS did in comparison to its norm, this might just be the start of the summer slowdown. Hard to say, really.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The first DLC for Mario Kart 8 has been announced...

It's Japan-only as part of a Mario-themed Mercedes Benz ad campaign. What a weird path to go down...

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Japan-only content from Nintendo? Why I never.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

videogames.txt

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'm not sure if it's weirder having a real car in Mario Kart, or a real driver in All-Stars Racing Transformed.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Welp. At least DLC is gonna be a thing

If they just throw up some new tracks eventually, I'll be thrilled.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo Europe seemed to imply they would also get the dlc. And it is apparently free. I wouldn't be surprised if America gets it too. I'm just happy there will be dlc since that could mean more tracks and racers, maybe even block fort or big donut or something.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Here's a great chart showing why Nintendo will never become a purely software producer, and something that surprised me when I first saw it:

Hardware consistently accounts for around 60% of Nintendo's revenues. If you want to see how the hardware breaks down between handhelds and consoles:

Unfortunately Nintendo doesn't disclose the profit margins on each segment, so it's possible that Nintendo earns more profit on software vs. hardware, but it's highly unlikely. Their gross margins (meaning total revenue minus the direct cost of products) was around 40%, until 2012 on, where it dropped to 20 - 25%. Nintendo isn't a game developer that also produces its own hardware. They're a hardware manufacturer that develops games to spur demand for their hardware. Home console are over 20% of their total revenue (in 2013). There's no way in hell investors would let a company axe a segment that provides 20% of revenue because of a few bad years.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Each Wii U console is sold at a loss. It costs more to make than how much it costs to buy it. They are not making any profit off of Wii U hardware.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Suspicious Dish posted:

Each Wii U console is sold at a loss. It costs more to make than how much it costs to buy it. They are not making any profit off of Wii U hardware.

Not only that but as of like two weeks ago, the PS4 is somehow profitable so Nintendo hosed up royal (surprise) with their hardware. The gamepad is literally a money sink.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Euphoriaphone posted:

Unfortunately Nintendo doesn't disclose the profit margins on each segment, so it's possible that Nintendo earns more profit on software vs. hardware, but it's highly unlikely.

Not only is it likely, that's exactly how the videogame industry works. Consoles are traditionally sold at a loss and software sold at a profit, with the expectation that the user will buy enough software over the life of the console to turn that initial loss into a profit. The problem isn't just that the Wii U is being sold at a loss--that's the norm for the industry--but that they aren't selling enough software per unit of hardware to turn that negative into a positive.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah, each Nintendo console before Wii U was made cheaply so that it was already profitable or close to profitable at sale.

If they stuck to their belief of making games more accessible and simply retooled the Wii Remote to be an obvious evolution rather than ditching their philosophy and making the Gamepad, Wii U might have gone down a completely different path. Not like a runaway success but they wouldn't be posting losses either. Literally it's the Gamepad that is causing this financial nightmare for them. The wrongest horse to possibly bet on.

The Gamepad was like $80 to manufacture at launch and maybe that's gone up if the parts are getting more obsolete. Nintendo said it required the sale of more than just one game for a Wii U sale to be profitable, and $80 is exactly that amount. I mean there's 6.2 million Wii Us sold as of Nintendo's last report on March 31? 80 times 6.2m is 496 million dollars in losses. Just from the margin of the Gamepad manufacturing cost.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 29, 2014

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I would venture to guess that hardware revenue also includes the royalty cut Nintendo gets when third parties release games on their systems. Which is something that doesn't really exist anymore for the Wii U so... yeah.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Louisgod posted:

Not only that but as of like two weeks ago, the PS4 is somehow profitable so Nintendo hosed up royal (surprise) with their hardware. The gamepad is literally a money sink.

Wasn't there some weird line at the last investors meeting that was translated to "no more hardware losses in 2014"? I thought it meant that the Wii U is now profitable, but could also mean that they have so many made in warehouses that there won't technically be a loss.

Also...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmtoe3dwUNM

Glad to see they put time and effort into making sure the racers eyes look at the shadow of the blue shell, but they can't put in two player off screen mode like Sonic Allstars Racing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I read an interview from the Mario Kart 8 director that they intentionally didn't have player 1 on TV/player 2 on Gamepad:

Nintendolife posted:

You've opted not to include second-screen local multiplayer in the final game (one player on the TV, one solely on the GamePad) – can you tell us why that is the case?

I thought that for Mario Kart, playing with someone else on the same big TV screen gives the game a more competitive feel. Because of this we decided to limit the local multiplayer to TV split screen, and had the development team focus their efforts on the graphics and 60fps frame rate.

The whole "it's more fun the old way" is the same philosophy that kept Nintendo games from having online multiplayer for years, so just in case you thought Nintendo would be changing their philosophy anytime soon...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It meant that most of the projected hardware sales for the next fiscal year have already been manufactured.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Gamepad was like $80 to manufacture at launch and maybe that's gone up if the parts are getting more obsolete. Nintendo said it required the sale of more than just one game for a Wii U sale to be profitable, and $80 is exactly that amount.

Nintendo tends to sell their games for $60, if the gamepad wasn't a big enough burden already.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I've been watching some Mario Kart 8 streams. It looks plasticy, soulless, and in typical mario kart fashion totally unfair to people who play better. System seller for sure.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Right so maybe the margin of loss on each sale is even higher, like $100-110. But if they had made the single decision of not doing the Gamepad, and you wipe the $486m out... that already takes their operating losses across 2012 through 2013 from $823 million down to $337 million. That cuts out 60% of their losses! And then you figure all the R&D cost that went into the Gamepad in the first place, which is not peanuts either. And the fact that this is just from units shipped. How about the ones just sitting in Nintendo's warehouses? How many Wii Us actually physically exist? The Gamepad could represent an even larger chunk.

A Gamepad that is being used to such great lengths in Mario Kart 8, like... mirroring the TV, or showing a car horn.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 29, 2014

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Astro7x posted:

Wasn't there some weird line at the last investors meeting that was translated to "no more hardware losses in 2014"? I thought it meant that the Wii U is now profitable, but could also mean that they have so many made in warehouses that there won't technically be a loss.

The first translation suggested the former, but a later better translation suggests it's the latter.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Gamepad was like $80 to manufacture at launch and maybe that's gone up if the parts are getting more obsolete.

Resistive touch is not obsolete, or more expensive than capacitive touch.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah we had that debate already and it was proved that you are correct, it is still cheaper.

The most expensive component of the gamepad is probably the patents on various components they have to pay ransom to.

The most useless parts they should have scrapped were the camera and NFC reader. There were already multiple wireless communications components on the thing if they wanted to have toys interact. The camera is really there for no reason except a video chat no one uses and a few gags in Nintendo land and a make me a zombie app in ZombiU.

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 29, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The entire panel is constructed and assembled in a weird way. I'd assume that the panel assembly is what's eating up most of their costs.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

greatn posted:

Yeah we had that debate already and it was proved that you are correct, it is still cheaper.

The most expensive component of the gamepad is probably the patents on various components they have to pay ransom to.

The most useless parts they should have scrapped were the camera and NFC reader. There were already multiple wireless communications components on the thing if they wanted to have toys interact. The camera is really there for no reason except a video chat no one uses and a few gags in Nintendo land and a make me a zombie app in ZombiU.

You can use it to monitor your form for Wii Fit, also.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
People always seem to love the Mii Creator when they use the photo feature to make their face.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because you're a programmer with basic respect for doing things right? If you see a visible glitch that initially appears harmless, it can easily end up meaning the game eventually crashes, or progress is lost, or it becomes impossible for the player to finish whatever area they're in. So you go ahead and patch that up because it means you're probably saving yourself from a truly game breaking bug coming from it.

If the games crashes, progress is lost, or the games becomes impossible to complete, then it affects normal gameplay

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

Glad to see they put time and effort into making sure the racers eyes look at the shadow of the blue shell, but they can't put in two player off screen mode like Sonic Allstars Racing

As nice as SASRT is on the wii u compared to the xbox and ps3 versions, and as neato as it is to look down at your controller instead of forward towards your tv, it still kinda runs like poo poo for a racing game, especially with stuff like the skies of arcadia levels.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 29, 2014

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Astro7x posted:

The GamePad not providing any processing power means extra off-TV rendering is all just extra work for the console. Assuming the game would be optimised to run at 60fps locked in any situation for single player, the same with an extra screen being rendered in parallel would mean either framerate drops or graphical compromises. The interview quoted above kinda agrees with that anyway, I'd guess someone at the top said those two options weren't acceptable.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This got a good laugh out of me today

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/472072419042418688

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wonder how much the GC Wii U controller adapter will cost.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
You can buy them for $10-$15 for your PC, so I assume Nintendo will round that up to $20. Unless they also include a Gamecube controller with it, since they pictured it with that one with the SSB logo on it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Did someone good at tweeting hack into their twitter?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Wii U cannot run GC games. Large parts of the GC/Wii are just completely missing now, like SI/EXI. That said, Nintendon't does quite a good job at emulating SI/EXI, so it is possible, but Nintendo won't do the work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Probably just no point. Not getting money anymore from people buying GameCube games, and too much effort to sell them digitally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

NNID is knomess

• Locked thread