Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the most recent Nook eReader came out around the same time as the most recent Kindle and they have pretty much the same specs. Now, I don't personally like the latest and greatest Nook because I feel they missed the boat not moving on from the infrared touch system, but the model was refreshed late last year.

The tablet situation is interesting. The inclusion of the Play Store was a big hint as to the direction things were going. B&N made their build of Android compliant enough for google apps so it's no longer considered a fork. This opens up other manufacturers to making nook hardware. Prior to that, hardware manufacturers that also made Android devices were forbidden from building devices for B&N since their build was a fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Sony has some amazing readers. I wish to god Amazon would steal (or borrow) the metadata usage they use for collections. That's the single thing I hate about my kindle.

Calibre moves books to a sony, keeps em in order, and the series is in it's own little special place and it's great.

Amazon just kinda, doesn't, and gently caress you if you want your discworld novels all in the same area. Hope you name em according to the series because if you ever connect this fucker to a pc to charge, it's gonna throw ALL the books you haven't read to the top of the list! Congrats!

:argh: DAMMIT AMAZON.

Really? I am in the market for an e-reader, and library sorting is probably my #1 requirement. Can you tell me more about how the Sony readers work? Do they support multiple tags per book, or is it a series of lists?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's whatever tags you have will have a collection for that book.

If you have Dresden Files, Magic, Wizard, Chicago, Fireball, Autism as tags for a Dresden file book, you'll have 6 diff collections on your reader with the book in there. If you set calibre to show series and have it set as Dresden File #2, then when you go to your Dresden Files collection it'll be listed there in the second place.

Caveat, that's how it was up through the 650. Dunno about the new TRS? models.

I loved it so much, and miss it so much :smith:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
That is absolutely perfect. I know they are more expensive, but at least now I know which reader I want.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
New software update for Kindle Paperwhite (previous generation, not sure about more recent one):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201064850

quote:

The software update includes general improvements and the following new features:

Kindle FreeTime

FreeTime lets you create personalised profiles for kids, and give them access to titles from your collection of books. Kids can keep track of their personal reading progress and earn achievement badges. To learn more, go to Kindle FreeTime

Cloud Collections

Use Cloud Collections to organize your content in custom categories. See your collections in a Collections view, and customise where your collections show on your device. To learn more, go to Organise Your Content with Cloud Collections.

Page Flip

While reading, you can skim the book page-by-page, scan by chapter, or skip to the end for a sneak peek without losing your place. To learn more, go to Go To Other Locations in a Book

Enhanced Bookmarks, Highlights & Notes

Access and manage all of your bookmarks, highlights, and notes more quickly and easily. To learn more, go to Bookmarks, Highlights & Notes

Smart Lookup

When you look up a word or character, Smart Lookup provides you with dictionary, X-Ray, and Wikipedia information. To learn more, go to Explore Your Book with X-Ray.

Vocabulary Builder

Words looked up in the dictionary are automatically added to Vocabulary Builder. View the definition and usage of the words, and quiz yourself with flashcards. To learn more, go to Expand Your Vocabulary.

Inline Footnotes

Read the complete text of each footnote inline without changing the page or losing your place in the book. To learn more, go to Go To Other Locations in a Book.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I could swear most of those were already added in the last update, but it can't be the same one because it isn't mentioning Goodreads.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I finally want to get rid of the Ads on my OG paperwhite, but I can't seem to find a place to do it in the Amazon dashboard. I can only "deregister" my Kindle when I go to manage my devices. Any ideas?

edit: I just asked a CS rep in chat where the $20 option to remove special offers went and they removed it for free :q:

They never did tell me where the special offers thing went though.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 18, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Right above "Deregister" in Manage Your Devices should be an item that says "Special Offers: Subscribed." And an edit button to change it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

smackfu posted:

Right above "Deregister" in Manage Your Devices should be an item that says "Special Offers: Subscribed." And an edit button to change it.

Nope. Only item in the list was "Deregister". Well, I guess I made out pretty well if they screwed up something on their end :)

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Martytoof posted:

I finally want to get rid of the Ads on my OG paperwhite, but I can't seem to find a place to do it in the Amazon dashboard. I can only "deregister" my Kindle when I go to manage my devices. Any ideas?

edit: I just asked a CS rep in chat where the $20 option to remove special offers went and they removed it for free :q:

They never did tell me where the special offers thing went though.

I asked too since I couldn't find it, but they just charged my credit card 20 bucks and removed it for me. Guess you got lucky with a nice CSR.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Install Windows posted:

I could swear most of those were already added in the last update, but it can't be the same one because it isn't mentioning Goodreads.

I do not think this update is new for US. The address listed by WattsvilleBlues has a UK address. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201064850

Strange that Amazon doesn't date their announcements.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

UndyingShadow posted:

I asked too since I couldn't find it, but they just charged my credit card 20 bucks and removed it for me. Guess you got lucky with a nice CSR.

Entirely possible. I also don't have a CC linked to my Amazon account, and I'm in Canada (but using the .com store) so maybe one of those also figured into it. Like it would have been easy to just charge me if I had a CC linked but they got lazy or something :haw:

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.

Nintendo Kid posted:

All of those were in the last update because that is the last update?? No idea why it doesn't mention Goodreads but I have 5.4.4.2 on my Kindle already and I have Goodreads and all the other stuff listed there. WattsvilleBlues where did you read about this update

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Bump this thing because Amazon and Hachette are fighting and it's pretty crazy

(and also I forgot I had just posted here before going back several pages so sorry for double posting)

Spug fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 27, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Spug posted:

Bump this thing because Amazon and Hachette are fighting and it's pretty crazy

(and also I forgot I had just posted here before going back several pages so sorry for double posting)

Good, if anybody deserves to be ground into dust, it's the big 5.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

BTW, there was a Kindlewhite 2nd Gen update recently, different from what was mentioned earlier.

quote:

Access Notes from the Reading Menu
While reading, you can view all of your notes by tapping the Menu icon and then selecting Notes. You can also continue to access the Notes tab from the Go To menu in the reading toolbar. To learn more, go to Add, View, Edit or Remove Notes

Manage Cloud Collections
See all of your collections in a Collections view, and customize where your collections show on your device. To learn more, go to View and Manage Your Cloud Collections.

PDF Improvements
Pan and zoom within PDF documents more quickly and easily, and adjust the margins for an optimized reading experience.

Cancel Full Book Purchase from within a Sample
While reading a book sample, you can view the price of the full book and purchase with one tap. You can also cancel the purchase before the download is complete by tapping cancel purchase.

Funny thing is that the note they show you on the device only listed the second and third features, IIRC.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Spug posted:

All of those were in the last update because that is the last update?? No idea why it doesn't mention Goodreads but I have 5.4.4.2 on my Kindle already and I have Goodreads and all the other stuff listed there. WattsvilleBlues where did you read about this update

Amazon emailed me about it, though I suspect the .2 suffix just indicated a big fix update rather than new features. I don't think there's anything new over 5.4.4.1.

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Good, if anybody deserves to be ground into dust, it's the big 5.
True enough, but remember that Amazon is THE BIG 1

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, if Amazon 'win' we are all going to suffer for it when they turn their aggressive approach on the customers with no options left. Which you would have to be incredibly naive to think they wont.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Spug posted:

True enough, but remember that Amazon is THE BIG 1

THE BIG 1, Amazon, who's never had any anti-consumer tendencies
vs.
THE BIG 5, book publishers, who have a noted history of collusion and inflated prices

Hard choice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Call Me Charlie posted:

Amazon, who's never had any anti-consumer tendencies

Debatable. The whole "No instant streaming on any Android device because we sell our own loss leader tablets" is pretty anti-consumer.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

bull3964 posted:

Debatable. The whole "No instant streaming on any Android device because we sell our own loss leader tablets" is pretty anti-consumer.

They don't seem to be particularly anti-DRM at this point in time now that they're the beneficiary of it on kindles.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

THE BIG 1, Amazon, who's never had any anti-consumer tendencies
vs.
THE BIG 5, book publishers, who have a noted history of collusion and inflated prices

Hard choice.

That's not entirely true, though that example happened a long time ago. For the most part you're right, Amazon mostly aims its shittiness towards its employees and competitors and not towards customers. They're basically the Walmart of the internet.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So, a combination of receiving some Amazon vouchers as a gift and, a day later, Amazon sending me a code for £30 off a Paperwhite has convinced me it's time to upgrade my Kindle Keyboard.

Thing is, I'm torn over whether to get the 3G or not. My current model is WiFi only and I've never really found myself wishing it was 3G, as on the rare occasion I've been out of Wifi, I've just used the hotspot facility on my phone.

I really want the 3G model though because I'm a nerd, and stuff like Goodreads/Wikipedia integration make me think that the 3G might come in more handy.

So a couple of questions about the Paperwhite that'll help me decide:

- How much does the 3G impact the battery life as opposed to WiFi only? Does it switch off the 3G if you're connected to a WiFi network?
- Does X-Ray require a data connection to work or is the data embedded in the book?
- How does the Goodreads integration work? Does it just update it when you start/finish a book, or does it update your progress through the book as well?

Basically, talk me out of spending an extra £60 on 3G instead of getting a nice case for it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The xray stuff is built into the book.

Having used a 3g kindle and a wifi, normally you can shut down both, or connect via wifi or connect via 3g. Anything besides airplane mode is gonna eat the battery though.

I haven't used the goodreads stuff yet, so no idea.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

chippy posted:

I really want the 3G model though because I'm a nerd, and stuff like Goodreads/Wikipedia integration make me think that the 3G might come in more handy.

I thought the 3G was worth it on the Kindle Keyboard because it's unrestricted and you can use it to browse the web for free. Does the Paperwhite have that or is it limited to Amazon and Wikipedia?

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

limited :(

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm not really bothered if it's limited to be honest because the browser on a Kindle sucks donkey balls and I have a smartphone.

To be honest I am just swaying toward treating myself and splashing out on the 3G now. I have £60 of vouchers, a £30 off code, and I can e-bay my old KK and lighted leather case, so it gets it down to a fairly reasonable price still. I've got so many hours of use out of my old one over the years that maybe I can actually justify it.

I'm still willing to hear reasons I should just go with WiFi only though.

If you can shut down the 3G and leave the WiFi on that's cool, I don't notice a massive difference with my current one whether the WiFi is on or not. I would have thought it should just shut down the 3G radio if it's connected to WiFi though, seems no point powering it up at all..

Ah yeah, looks like it does. Nice. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201175570

poo poo I'm convincing myself to buy the 3G model.

chippy fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 29, 2014

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any way of buying books from another online shop and reading them on my Kindle (paperwhite)?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

chippy posted:

I'm not really bothered if it's limited to be honest because the browser on a Kindle sucks donkey balls and I have a smartphone.

To be honest I am just swaying toward treating myself and splashing out on the 3G now. I have £60 of vouchers, a £30 off code, and I can e-bay my old KK and lighted leather case, so it gets it down to a fairly reasonable price still. I've got so many hours of use out of my old one over the years that maybe I can actually justify it.

I'm still willing to hear reasons I should just go with WiFi only though.

If you can shut down the 3G and leave the WiFi on that's cool, I don't notice a massive difference with my current one whether the WiFi is on or not. I would have thought it should just shut down the 3G radio if it's connected to WiFi though, seems no point powering it up at all..

Ah yeah, looks like it does. Nice. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201175570

poo poo I'm convincing myself to buy the 3G model.

I too have the kindle keyboard 3G and am pretty certain I haven't used the 3g in a couple years. It served me well at one time but I'll be getting a Wi-Fi only model next go around.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Anyone know about the Goodreads stuff? That might be a dealbreaker. If it updates your progress through a book as you read it, I think I'll definitely go with the 3G, because otherwise I'll start getting all spergy about the two potentially being out of sync at any point.

e: Also case recommendations for the Paperwhite? I have the official leather lighted cover for my KK and I really like it but I hate how overpriced the official ones are. Any unofficial ones that are as good or better? How do they secure to the Paperwhite, do they still use those goofy hooks? I guess not since they won't need to draw power from the Kindle for a light. I will want auto sleep/wake.

chippy fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 29, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I have the keyboard 3G, and usefulness of the 3G is download a book on the go no hassles. So the real question is, would you want 3G on the Kindle or are you ok with tethering your phone if you are in a non wifi area.

Personally I would probably get the 3G version again, just because it's less hassle and not THAT much more. But it def is arguable that it's a pretty small value that you get out of it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there any way of buying books from another online shop and reading them on my Kindle (paperwhite)?

Yes. If they are DRM free, often times they will be downloadable in multiple formats and then you can just email the right one to your kindle email address to be added to your library. Some examples of this would be Humble Bundles or Story Bundles.

The answer is also yes if they have DRM on them, but that's a discussion we aren't allowed to have here. Suffice it to say though, it's trivial to (for example) buy a book from Barnes and Noble, download the epub file with DRM (B&N provides a direct download link under your account) and then transform it so you can send it to your kindle address.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Duckman2008 posted:

I have the keyboard 3G, and usefulness of the 3G is download a book on the go no hassles. So the real question is, would you want 3G on the Kindle or are you ok with tethering your phone if you are in a non wifi area.

Personally I would probably get the 3G version again, just because it's less hassle and not THAT much more. But it def is arguable that it's a pretty small value that you get out of it.

It's £60 more in the UK, so it's a 55% price increase (£169 instead of £109). In fact, given that I can get £30 off either, that makes it actually £139 instead of £79, so a 76% price increase.

I do want it though.

gently caress, the official covers look the nicest too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sri.Theo posted:

If they're in a format it can read you can just copy them across. Amazon can also convert some formats if you email them to your Kindle. If neither of those options work, Calibre can do conversions and other helpful things (although some of them may require additional plugins).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

chippy posted:

It's £60 more in the UK, so it's a 55% price increase (£169 instead of £109). In fact, given that I can get £30 off either, that makes it actually £139 instead of £79, so a 76% price increase.

I do want it though.

gently caress, the official covers look the nicest too.

Eh, I got a cover for my paperwhite in red, even has KINDLE embossed on it, for something like 8$ shipped off ebay.

Fits perfect, has the magnet sealing in it to do the on/off thing, and looks fine.

Personally, unless you think there's going to be a burning need to buy an ebook over 3g, I'd go with the wifi option.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

chippy posted:

So, a combination of receiving some Amazon vouchers as a gift and, a day later, Amazon sending me a code for £30 off a Paperwhite has convinced me it's time to upgrade my Kindle Keyboard.

Thing is, I'm torn over whether to get the 3G or not. My current model is WiFi only and I've never really found myself wishing it was 3G, as on the rare occasion I've been out of Wifi, I've just used the hotspot facility on my phone.

So a couple of questions about the Paperwhite that'll help me decide:

- How much does the 3G impact the battery life as opposed to WiFi only? Does it switch off the 3G if you're connected to a WiFi network?
- Does X-Ray require a data connection to work or is the data embedded in the book?
- How does the Goodreads integration work? Does it just update it when you start/finish a book, or does it update your progress through the book as well?

Basically, talk me out of spending an extra £60 on 3G instead of getting a nice case for it.

I honestly don't use the Goodreads/Wikipedia functions as much as I thought I would.

I had 3G on my Keyboard but skipped on it for Paperwhite. I figure Id probably get more books from the library anyway. I don't miss it.

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

I have 3G and use it quite a lot (I read almost exclusively while commuting), but of course it's just convenient; I could tether or just look for new books at home.

Speaking of Goodreads, I don't really understand how the integration works. Books I rate when done reading are added to Goodreads and I guess they go in my "read" shelf automatically, but it's not like my "currently-reading" shelf contains the books I'm actually reading on my Kinde.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

chippy posted:

Anyone know about the Goodreads stuff? That might be a dealbreaker. If it updates your progress through a book as you read it, I think I'll definitely go with the 3G, because otherwise I'll start getting all spergy about the two potentially being out of sync at any point.

e: Also case recommendations for the Paperwhite? I have the official leather lighted cover for my KK and I really like it but I hate how overpriced the official ones are. Any unofficial ones that are as good or better? How do they secure to the Paperwhite, do they still use those goofy hooks? I guess not since they won't need to draw power from the Kindle for a light. I will want auto sleep/wake.

Spug posted:

I have 3G and use it quite a lot (I read almost exclusively while commuting), but of course it's just convenient; I could tether or just look for new books at home.

Speaking of Goodreads, I don't really understand how the integration works. Books I rate when done reading are added to Goodreads and I guess they go in my "read" shelf automatically, but it's not like my "currently-reading" shelf contains the books I'm actually reading on my Kinde.

The goodreads stuff is basically "see what your friends are reading", "share a passage on goodreads" and "update goodreads when you finish a book". It doesn't save your progress along the way or update your currently reading list for reasons unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I've just realised that the Goodreads stuff was US/Canada only at first. Has it even become availeble in the US?

Having said all this, give that I'm getting £90 off essentially, I think I'm going to end up treating myself to the 3G model anyway.