Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ImpAtom posted:

It is in incredibly bad taste, especially considering she spends most of the book trying to get people to sleep with her, being hit on, and has a conveniently exploitative sequence where she has to strip out of her clothes to complete a puzzle.

If it had just been that one thing it would have been less noticable but the book quite literally has more words dedicated to her sexy body than Molly has lines. It spends the entire time sexualizing her and then "welp, my backstory is rape!"

she had a fallen angel who is a temptress in her head and was letting said fallen angel run the show for the most part. Lashiel is completely exploiting her, and that includes running roughshod over the sexual issues Hannah is sensitive to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Ragnar34 posted:

The real question is what Harry's other daughter's name is going to be. Athena? Roberta? Lashita?

I'm betting Susan

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ragnar34 posted:

The real question is what Harry's other daughter's name is going to be. Athena? Roberta? Lashita?

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm betting Susan

It literally HAS to be Minerva.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wittgen posted:

Who the hell was Dresden's mom? What does it mean that Dresden is starborn? Who is Cowl? Who or what arranged for the death of Dresden's parents? Who on the senior council has been compromised by Nemesis? Where is Maevre and what has she been getting up to with her absurdly dangerous Necromancy knowledge? Did Nemesis get Ferrovax? What's Elaine up to? What's up with Mac?

Just some questions I'm quite looking forward to getting answers to, off the top of my head.

Dredsen's mom was Margaret LaFay, this was answered way back in the series.

Being a starborn gives one the ability to wield power over Outsiders; Lash outright stated this before sacrificing herself to save Harry.

Cowl is the leader of the Fomor.

Lord Raith killed Dresden's mom, not sure about his dad.

Mavra already had absurdly dangerous necromancy knowledge of a sort, she probably can't use Kemmler's teachings directly and I think Jim has said something to the effect of it being one of the few times her interests were in line with everyone else's (no new Dark Gods), but she couldn't intervene directly because a necromancer would tear her to shreds.

If Nemesis has Ferrovax, everyone is hosed. He's right up there with Mab and Titania in terms of power.

Elaine is being Harry on the West Coast.

Mac is Out.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
I am super super curious about The Rent and Goodman Grey and the fact that if I read it correctly his entire payment was $1 and that he's essentially a Lawful Neutral Naagloshii

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Way to completely miss the point of most of those?

Wade Wilson posted:

Not who as in "what was her name", who as in "She seemed to know a hell of a lot more than we do, and was manipulating events. Why?"

Wade Wilson posted:

Being a starborn gives one the ability to wield power over Outsiders; Lash outright stated this before sacrificing herself to save Harry.

Yeah but why? What makes one a starborn?

Wade Wilson posted:

I'm pretty sure you pulled that straight out of your rear end. Even if it's true, what are his/their motivations? They're doing a bunch of weird evil poo poo and nobody seems to know why.

Wade Wilson posted:

Given.

Wade Wilson posted:

Mavra already had absurdly dangerous necromancy knowledge of a sort, she probably can't use Kemmler's teachings directly and I think Jim has said something to the effect of it being one of the few times her interests were in line with everyone else's (no new Dark Gods), but she couldn't intervene directly because a necromancer would tear her to shreds.

That's a pretty big "probably".

Wade Wilson posted:

If Nemesis has Ferrovax, everyone is hosed. He's right up there with Mab and Titania in terms of power.

Which strikes me as just the sort of thing that might happen in a Dresden book.

Wade Wilson posted:

Again: Yeah that's the surface answer, but it would be nice to find out more about that.

Wade Wilson posted:

Mac is Out.

What does that mean? Where does he come from? What is he Out of?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Wade Wilson posted:

Mac is Out.

I know we know her name. I meant, who the hell was she as a person? We still don't have a great sense of her or her motivations, and there's no way we don't get more insight. Nicodemus knew her. She took the king of the White Court as a lover. She decided to have a kid with a random travelling magician, possibly to on purpose have a starborn kid. She mapped the ways. She knew fairy's well enough to get the third strongest winter sidhe as her kid's godmother. A friggin' reformed Nagloshi compared her to his unreformed dad. We've gotten lots of intriguing bits and pieces, but I think there's more to it. I think we'll definitely learn more about Dresden's parents now that he's decided to be a father to his two daughters.

We know one small fact about what being a starborn means. It will come up in a bigger way.

Where are you getting that Cowl is the leader of the Fomor?

I don't think everyone is necessarily screwed if Nemesis got Ferrovax. We know a single knight can kill a Dragon. Even if he's in Mab's league, well, Harry knows Mab and she's pretty committed to fighting outsiders. Harry currently possess and uber prison and four magical weapons of mass destruction. Harry will be fighting thing's in Ferrovax's league for sure.

Where did we hear about Elaine last?

No way Mac stays out through the end. Given his interactions with Mab, former knight is not unlikely. If so, we'll definitely see more. Harry's going to want to give up that mantle eventually.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

personally i think Mac is Dagda, the Irish All-father and conqueror of the Fomorians

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Korgan posted:

So this just gave me a kickstart, their names are bloody similar and they both have similar job descriptions. Anduriel is the Master of Shadows, an old term for a spymaster. Uriel is Heaven's black ops master and also got called a spymaster by Harry. Uriel means "Light of God." What does Anduriel mean and how closely are they related?

This has probably been discussed but I haven't seen it before. :ohdear:

As far as I can tell Anduriel is just a made up name, I don't know if the "And-" prefix even exists in hebrew.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I thought the name seemed familiar, but it turns out that I was thinking of Andariel, a boss from Diablo II.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
So I wonder if Harry will end up using the Jesus relics as his new magical trinkets that he lost and keeps moaning about. I bet the head of the spear of destiny would make one gently caress off powerful blasting rod. And how about the crown of thorns as his new shield generator.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There's some good evidence for the Cowl-as-Fomor theory but I can't remember all of it off the top of my head. It would explain the cowl, for one thing, without it being a cheap gimmick along the lines of "cowl is Justin" or "Cowl is Future Harry"; he's not wearing the cowl because Harry would recognize him, but because everyone would see his gills. Also he uses some Fae speech formulations like "thrice I ask and done," and some of his magic has a mildewy signature or something like that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

computer parts posted:

As far as I can tell Anduriel is just a made up name, I don't know if the "And-" prefix even exists in hebrew.

Anduriel is another translation of Adirael. The manuscripts of The Book of Abramelin are both fragmentary and poorly translated, but supposedly detail much of hell. Anduriel/adirael is one of 49 fallen serving Beezelbub according to it

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Dresden's mom

Luccio talks a fair bit about Harry's mother in either Small Favor or Turn Coat, as well, specifically that she thought the White Council were too detached from the world and were a bunch of horrible hypocrites. But yeah, there's definitely more to find out.

We also know almost nothing about Malcolm Dresden other than "stage magician" and "good people" and "probably murdered". (My gut tells me that his spirit is working for Uriel these days, but that's just speculation.)

quote:

Cowl

As far as I can tell, what we know for certain about Cowl is the following:

He's a very powerful wizard.

Pretty much everything else (even his apparent connection to Nemesis/The Black Council, though we can probably take that as given) is speculation. We can probably assume that he's someone that Harry (and we) would recognize if we saw him without his, er, cowl, though him being altered by the Fomor also makes for a good pretext for that. And I think a connection to the Fomor is a reasonable guess, but it's still just a guess. (I personally think, as I've said before, that he's Justin, resurrected/reanimated by the Fomor, but I would in no way assert that as fact.)

quote:

Mavra

Harry seemed pretty sure when he gave Mavra the Word of Kemmler that it wasn't something she could use. It would not be the first time he was wrong about something like that, though.

quote:

Ferrovax

I'm not sure that "a Knight of the Cross can kill a dragon" necessarily means that much; when they're on mission, the Knights are arguably the most powerful mortals on the planet, and the equalizing power of the Swords means it kind of doesn't matter how powerful the enemy they're fighting is.

Even so, if not Ferrovax, I have absolutely no doubt we'll see someone/something in that weight class on the enemy team, and Harry will at one point be expected to fight it without his magic, all his various limbs broken, and with someone shouting in his ear every three seconds to distract him, because that's just the sort of thing that happens in this series.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

computer parts posted:

Pretty sure it just means he's Uriel's opposite number in the scheme of things. Uriel, Anduriel.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

docbeard posted:

Even so, if not Ferrovax, I have absolutely no doubt we'll see someone/something in that weight class on the enemy team, and Harry will at one point be expected to fight it without his magic, all his various limbs broken, and with someone shouting in his ear every three seconds to distract him, because that's just the sort of thing that happens in this series.

And while juggling a baby in his left (broken) hand.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

docbeard posted:

I'm not sure that "a Knight of the Cross can kill a dragon" necessarily means that much; when they're on mission, the Knights are arguably the most powerful mortals on the planet, and the equalizing power of the Swords means it kind of doesn't matter how powerful the enemy they're fighting is.

I didn't mean that to say anything about how strong Ferrovax is. I just meant that Harry and his allies definitely have access to enough power that they could kill Ferrovax without it being unreasonable. Given this, I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrovax's Red Court gift did just as much of a number on him as Leah's dagger did on her.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Regarding that gift, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that is what Ferrovax put in Marcone's vault.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Wade Wilson posted:

Regarding that gift, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that is what Ferrovax put in Marcone's vault.

I thought Ferrovax had currency in his vault, didn't he get Gold from Bianca?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

I know the show isn't canon or anything, but there it was pretty clear that Justin killed his father and put him in a bunch of lovely foster homes so that he could rescue him and be Harry's hero.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

OptimusWang posted:

I know the show isn't canon or anything, but there it was pretty clear that Justin killed his father and put him in a bunch of lovely foster homes so that he could rescue him and be Harry's hero.

in the show he's also Harry's Uncle on his mother's side, which afaik is also made up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah the show changed a lot of things and can't really be used as a 1:1 comparison with the books.

TV Bob is best Bob though. And TV Morgan was black, but was so good at being Morgan that I pictured book Morgan as black for years.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

treeboy posted:

in the show he's also Harry's Uncle on his mother's side, which afaik is also made up.

And a dragon moved his apartment to the nevernever, the actresses for Murphy and Susan were swapped, etc. I get that they changed all sorts of stuff needlessly, but in Ghost Story Harry talks about how he practically worshipped Justin even though he constantly hurt him. We know Justin was a master manipulator already, so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to have Harry and Elaine's parents killed if he was looking to enthrall a pair of starborn.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah the show changed a lot of things and can't really be used as a 1:1 comparison with the books.

TV Bob is best Bob though. And TV Morgan was black, but was so good at being Morgan that I pictured book Morgan as black for years.

TV bob was just Giles with special effects when he came onscreen. He was terrible

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
OK, I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I wanted to chime in on my speculation about late book spoilers -

That placard had to be the King of the Jews sign that they put on Jesus's cross, right?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Dramatika posted:

OK, I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I wanted to chime in on my speculation about late book spoilers -

That placard had to be the King of the Jews sign that they put on Jesus's cross, right?

Yeah.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

OptimusWang posted:

And a dragon moved his apartment to the nevernever, the actresses for Murphy and Susan were swapped, etc. I get that they changed all sorts of stuff needlessly, but in Ghost Story Harry talks about how he practically worshipped Justin even though he constantly hurt him. We know Justin was a master manipulator already, so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to have Harry and Elaine's parents killed if he was looking to enthrall a pair of starborn.

Except the fact that we now have WoJ that McCoy asked Justin to train Harry (and didn't know he was evil). That adds like a dozen more layers of manipulation to it there of propositioning himself close to McCoy, getting McCoy to ask him, and the assassination; or he was corrupted when the chance to mentor a Starborn fell into his lap (either his own ambition or infected by Nemesis when they/it learned where and what Harry was/had the potential to be). Justin had Harry before he went looking for and adopted Elaine.

And after 18 months it is nice not to have to spoil CD any more

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I just finished the book about two minutes ago. Was it ever explicitly stated that Coins could only be used by humans?

It kind of threw me for a loop when Ursiel showed up in the way he did.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

FordPRefectLL posted:

I just finished the book about two minutes ago. Was it ever explicitly stated that Coins could only be used by humans?

It kind of threw me for a loop when Ursiel showed up in the way he did.

No. Basically anything with Free Will can take up a Coin.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
So do they just favor humans because they're easier to convince to do it, then?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

FordPRefectLL posted:

So do they just favor humans because they're easier to convince to do it, then?

That's my understanding.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Except the fact that we now have WoJ that McCoy asked Justin to train Harry

:wtc: Where did this happen?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

One page ago!

Bunnita posted:

I was able to ask one more question, which was obvious as I think about it. I asked why it took so long for Ebenezer to take Harry in. Apparently Harry was at Justin's on Ebenezer's orders, no one had any idea the guy was evil.

I kind of wish I had asked something else

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Justin took Bob from Kemmler's hideout and hid him from the wardens, so clearly he hasn't been completely on the up-and-up for a while.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Silento posted:

Justin took Bob from Kemmler's hideout and hid him from the wardens, so clearly he hasn't been completely on the up-and-up for a while.

Or maybe Evil Bob corrupted Justin!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Silento posted:

And Harry took Bob from Justin's hideout and hid him from the wardens.

It is certainly possible Justin was long corrupted and the Black Council had Peabody or someone influence McCoy to pick him. But that particular example isn't all that good.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Arcsech posted:

What does that mean? Where does he come from? What is he Out of?

Sharkface also called Mac "The Watcher" and empty. Mac chose to be some sort of extreme neutral party that is completely "Out" of the events of the world/Outsiders/etc. unless they are brought into his neutral ground.

treeboy posted:

personally i think Mac is Dagda, the Irish All-father and conqueror of the Fomorians

At a Turncoat Q/A, Butcher said Mac is neither a god (though the quest was about greek gods) nor a scion of the gods. He also said that we won't see anything about Mac's past until the trilogy.

Fried Chicken posted:

It is certainly possible Justin was long corrupted and the Black Council had Peabody or someone influence McCoy to pick him. But that particular example isn't all that good.

As for all the Justin stuff, we've known for a while that before he went evil, Justin was a very well respected and a powerful Warden who fought Kemmler. And in Ghost Story Harry theorizes that Justin was probably corrupted/turned by He Who Walks Behind. It's possible that He Who Walks Behind was using Justin to gain access to the Starborn and then convert them to the side of the Outsiders.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 29, 2014

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

treeboy posted:

Sorry, until further notice Mac is merely Out.

ConfusedUs posted:

Don't forget that TV Morgan was also Michael, much like TV Bianca being Susan. Which would have, erm... complicated matters later on if they got renewed..

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 29, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I dunno, when Harry picked up Bob he was just a scared, stupid kid. Justin was an experienced warden who knew exactly what he was dealing with, and yet he took Bob anyway. Harry had no clue what to expect when he told Bob to remember the Kemmler stuff in Dead Beat, and his lack of preparation almost killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Silento posted:

I dunno, when Harry picked up Bob he was just a scared, stupid kid. Justin was an experienced warden who knew exactly what he was dealing with, and yet he took Bob anyway. Harry had no clue what to expect when he told Bob to remember the Kemmler stuff in Dead Beat, and his lack of preparation almost killed him.

And kept him even after knowing Bob was dangerous, and even after becoming a warden and knowing the wardens would want it destroyed, and even after becoming the winter knight and knowing Mav wants Bob destroyed.

Harry has such a strong anti-authority streak he remains anti-authority even when he has become the authority.

That's almost zen commander