Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
George C. Marshall also deserves some screen time for any WWII documentary. Man organized the largest expansion of the army in US history. Many of America's most well known generals from WWII were given command based on recommendations from George C. Marshall.

Some quotes about him from wikipedia:

quote:

After leaving office, in a television interview, Harry S. Truman was asked who he thought was the American who had made the greatest contribution of the preceding thirty years. Without hesitation, Truman picked Marshall, adding "I don't think in this age in which I have lived, that there has been a man who has been a greater administrator; a man with a knowledge of military affairs equal to General Marshall."[40]

Orson Welles, in an interview with Dick Cavett, said that "Marshall is the greatest man I ever met... I think he was the greatest human being who was also a great man... He was a tremendous gentleman, an old fashioned institution which isn't with us anymore."[41]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mustang posted:

George C. Marshall also deserves some screen time for any competent WWII documentary.
I found the problem with your reasoning in. re.: the History Channel.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Outside of Pawn Stars which I unapologetically adore I've not really watched the History Channel for many years. It used to have some pretty great shows (I loved Civil War Journal and Modern Marvels and History of Sex....). Oh, and Vikings is fantastic, I guess I watch that too though I didn't even realize until right now that it was a HC show.

Anyway, I just read through like 50 posts making fun of it so what gives? Is it bad now?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

Outside of Pawn Stars which I unapologetically adore I've not really watched the History Channel for many years. It used to have some pretty great shows (I loved Civil War Journal and Modern Marvels and History of Sex....). Oh, and Vikings is fantastic, I guess I watch that too though I didn't even realize until right now that it was a HC show.

Anyway, I just read through like 50 posts making fun of it so what gives? Is it bad now?

They show a whole lot of pseudo history and claim it as fact. What I've seen of their Hitler documentary is just the tip of the iceberg for bad documentaries. Last time I turned on the History Channel, there was some documentary about how aliens actually influenced all of the ancient buildings interspersed with ads about finding Atlantis. A shame, because I used to love the poo poo out of the History CHannel.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

gradenko_2000 posted:

GJ Meyer's A World Undone is an excellent work on the entire war that has enough detail everywhere (except perhaps the German East Africa campaign, but eh) to really give you an overall understanding

A World Undone is the best "all in one" WWI book I've read though. I read it for the first time after reading The Guns of August because I wanted to know what happened next.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It is pretty bad, here have a break down of the first episode which Shimrra Jamaane attempted to endure.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just turned to the channel because of my awful lack of self control. The opening scene is literally a man calmly placing a chair in front of a window, opening said window, and stepping out and falling to his death. That sums up literally everything about this show.

loving hell here I go again

1. the episode starts up with the Great Depression. It went from the Beer Hall Putsch to the Depression and Hitler taking advantage of it. Not one single second on the years of Wiemar Germany.

2. 8 minutes in and its 1932 and Hitler leads the German hivemind that are apparently 100% Nazis. No mention of the SPD/KPD/Central Party/anything

3. John McCain reluctantly and awkwardly praising FDR

4. Hitler is appointed Chancellor to "pacify his movement." Of course we all know that was part of it but again, no mention of ANY of the political chaos and intrigue of Germany. And again no names of anyone, including Von Papen.

5. Night of Long Knives. Literally nothing in between Hitler coming to power and this. No Reichstag Decree, no Enabling Act. NOTHING else is mentioned. The show says that this event is what gave Hitler ultimate power.

6. OH loving HELL the New Deal was alright and stuff but was only possible because FDR decided to CUT THE MILITARY BUDGET AND LEFT AMERICA VULERNABLE. gently caress YOU HISTORY CHANNEL you hacks. McArthur standing up for OUR TROOPS by personally insulting the President and saying that now we will inevitably lose the war and cause the deaths of OUR TROOPS.

7. The British efforts to reinvigorate their economy built homes, infrastructure, created jobs but IT WEAKENED THE MILITARY AND NOW BRITAIN IS DEFENSLESS. ONLY CHURCHILL STANDS UP FOR OUR TROOPS!

8. Germany's rapid rearmament was a complete a total secret and saved the German economy. INVEST IN OUR TROOPS. How the gently caress did they get Adam Tooze to agree to an interview for this show?

9. The World Wars, brought to you by Corona Light. Appropriate.

10. Mussolini is back. First time even mentioned since the 1922 March on Rome. But hey, they actually talk about Italy's war against Ethiopia. I mean, there are no details but they do mention it. Brownie Points for the History Channel.

11. The Rhineland was territory taken from Germany after WWI. No mention that it was merely demilitarized but still under German control. The show discusses it as Hitler's first invasion. And DICK CHENEY SIGHTING talking about the "invasion of the Rhineland."

12. Oh right, the Japanese exist. Gotta talk about them. 30 seconds in and the 1937 invasion of China is begun. No details of anything else in 20th century Japanese history. Also Tojo. And the Axis is formed overnight. No Anti-Commitern Pact, no previous Pact of Steel. It was the Axis from the beginning apparently...

13. In 1938 German had "the most powerful military the world had ever seen." 1938. Anyone with even an inkline of knowledge about the history of the Wehrmacht is crying right now.

14. 2 second mention of Austria. On to the Sudetenland. The 30s are almost over with 0 depth.

15. Surprisingly sympathetic to Chamberlain. But you can just taste the undercurrent of "oh those silly idealist pacifists, how naive of them to think diplomacy could solve anything. :allears:" However apparently the Munich Agreement was a one on one conversation between Chamberlain and Hitler in his office over the course of 3 minutes. But overall not insultingly awful.

16. Churchill was a physic and/or timelord and knew Hitler would do what he did from the very start. I don't know enough about Churchill's actions in the late 30s to comment about his reaction to the Suddetenland/invasion of Czechoslovakia.

17. We're about wrapped up with Western Europe I think. The Soviet Union must be close. maybe

18. Dick Cheney actually DEFENDING FDR and the very difficult situation he found himself in, recognizing that there was no way for FDR to intervene in Europe at the time due to the political climate and the American populations reluctance to get involved oversees. Holy poo poo Im shocked

19. STALIN. 20 years ago he seized power through brutal force and intimidation. No more details than that. So officially no Trotsky mention

20. First mention of Nazi camps. Hundreds of Thousands of Jews were sent to them in the 1930s. So apparently every single Jew in Germany because there were only a few hundred thousand in Germany itself...

21. Hey the war has begun. I wasn't expecting it so soon. Hitler signs pact with Stalin. No mention of Molotov or Ribbentrop.

22. BLITZKRIEG BLITZKRIEG BLITZKRIEG BLITZKRIEG oh and Stalin is in an empty theater watching a ballerina dance to Swan Lake

23. Poland has fallen in like a day. And now its May 1940 and Hitler invades France. And no mention of the French what so ever at all, apparently it was ALL Chamberlains fault that the phoney war happened. I am not exaggerating, it is putting EVERYTHING on Chamberlain for failing to attack Germany in an epic argument between him and Churchill. No mention of the allies fighting in Norway, apparently the Germans just walked in and took it.

24. Hitler only decided to attack France in response to Churchill becoming PM because he was worried about him and wanted to launch a preemptive strike. WHAT?! Also Hitler is literally Dr. Doom in his war room.

25. The Germans attacked France with T-72 tanks. And won because BLITZKRIEG. Absolutely 0 details of the war are mentioned. France falls, thats it. And no French perspective at all.

26. Dramatic shots of FDR and Hitler both sitting at their radio listening to Churchill's Fight Them on the Beaches speech in real time. Accompanied by the overused movie trailer stock music Heart of Courage (TM).

27. Battle of Britain time. They actually acknowledge the British Naval strength preventing the Germans from invading, forcing them to try and bomb England into submission. Huh. Broken clock is right twice and day and all that. But goddamn is the Battle of Britain/Blitz super simplified. At least it's not insultingly wrong.

28. Churchill personally oversees the invention and production of the Hurricane and Spitfires. ok...

29. Japan in China for 30 seconds. They decide to attack the US because they valued the Philippines for their strategic position to secure their required resources from the Pacific. Simple but true enough

30. Barbarossa. But of course they dont actually use the term because that might confuse people. Short montage of B/W battle footage. No details about anything at all.

31. Oh my god. FDR has to have the oil situation of Japan explained to him personally in the war cabinet meeting. The conversation goes. "Well what can we do. :saddowns:" "Well sir, the Japanese are dependent on oil" FDR then asks "well who supplies it to them? :downs:" "We do sir" And that is how the oil embargo happened. Apparently FDR was an oblivious idiot

32. Pearl Harbor. End of episode. I hate you all goodnight.

I miss the old History channel back when they showed proper documentaries, even if most of it was WW2/Cold War :(.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hegel just reminded me of a cool anecdote that you guys might get a kick out of.

So, for work I have to read lots of Old rear end Chinese poo poo. Like, literally everything and anything spanning a couple thousand years. I'm a linguist, not a historian, so really I'm just concentrating on how they're saying stuff and the content is kind of what the gently caress who gives a poo poo ; I tend to zone out after hour 5 of reading random bullshit and just wish they'd say "isn't" more.

Anyway, so I get to the early 13th century and there's a kind of repeated refrain across a bunch of them that I took notice of and probably find much funnier than I should :

1200 or so :

"Huh, the steppe nomads seem to be really organized now. I wonder what's up with that."

Couple years later :

"Apparently there's someone named 'Genghis Khan'? Something about being the 'Lord of All Who Dwell in Tents'? lol"

Just a tick later :

"O holy gently caress! O god!"

Giant loving gap of no one talking.

"The Mongols are great! We love the Mongols! We've always been the best of bros!"

(I'm highly over simplifying because I'm summarizing a general trend.)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Honestly a lot of the old history channel that we have such nostalgic memories of was pretty terrible as well when watched with the benefit of 15-20 years of aging and education.

That said, the new stuff is just awful poo poo.

The history channel has always been edu-tainment. gently caress, my favorite show on it used to be "Tales of the Gun" which, re-watching today, is basically anecdotes about gunfights interspersed with some just awfully researched, frequently incorrect corporate and military history. I think the difference between what we had then and what's going on now is that they've abandoned the core subject of history in favor of a lot of speculative horseshit (did ancient aliens conspire to cover up the truth about 9/11?) and pseudo-reality TV (tonight on "Pawn Shop Hillbillies of the Ice Road". . . ). When they do actual history it tends to be less B-Grade documentaries like back in the day and more slickly produced special effects bullshit that tries to neither tell a coherent story or make an argument. A good documentary has some kind of thesis at its core, the same as a good paper or monograph, and a lot of the crap we see today is the film version of a badly descriptive freshman report that Michael Mann slapped some high octane special effects on.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

cosmosisjones posted:

Just finished Guns of August today and with hindsight being what it is I just wanted to reach back and shake the poo poo out of some of them. Any other good books on WW1?

I highly recommend The Price of Glory, which is all about the battle of Verdun. It's exhaustively researched but has a readable narrative style. Verdun was one of the biggest battles of the war so it gives you a close-up view of what actually happened.

Another great series is Lyn Macdonald's series of books on the British experience. It's almost entirely based on interviews with veterans and reviewing letters sent home, and is focused on what the actual experience was like for the Tommies at the front. I've read They Called It Passchendaele and Somme but she has several others in the series, basically one book for each of the five years in the war.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also Churchill technically did storm ashore Normandy with a broadsword and a bow and arrow.
Just not Winston Churchill.

Jack Churchill actually didn't participate in Operation Overlord, he was off doing Yugoslav partisan stuff at the time.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PittTheElder posted:

Jack Churchill actually didn't participate in Operation Overlord, he was off doing Yugoslav partisan stuff at the time.

He veritably was there, landing on Gold, Juno and Sword beaches during the same morning, wielding bagpipes, longbow and claymore respectively. In fact that is what Sword's name comes from Any claim to the contrary is a filthy lie.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ofaloaf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxK-qR14pVg

It came out 50 years after the outbreak of WWI and did a lot of what Ken Burns did before Ken Burns could do it, except it also incorporated live interviews from WWI vets because those dudes were still around in decent numbers in 1964.

Let's not forget the books Lyn Macdonald got out of the same research. I can particularly recommend her 1915: the End of Innocence. She's got great material on Gallipoli

e;fb

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 29, 2014

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Who had the strongest military in 1938 then?

A quick browse through google states czech had 36 full strength divisions opposing germans 34ish divisions and russia had about 90 divisions.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Chillyrabbit posted:

A quick browse through google states czech had 36 full strength divisions opposing germans 34ish divisions and russia had about 90 divisions.

The French by a country mile. The Japanese may have been in contention if not for the fact that they got routed by the embarrassingly awful Red Army in 1938/39.

Seriously, the Red Army was in complete and utter shambles in 1938 due to the purges still going on. And all of their equipment (tanks/planes/etc) was still total trash. Remember, we are still 2 years from early production models of T-34s and KVs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

"Strongest" is a really relative term and slippery as all hell, especially for the pre-WW2 world when most militaries were very regional and relatively specialized for fighting in their own back yard.

That said, for continental Europe you're looking at it being the French by most metrics, especially if you factor in both size and the over-all quality of the arms and training the men received.

The other major nominee would be the Russians, although they had some just awful communication and leadership issues as evidenced by how the Winter War panned out for them plus a lot of their equipment was really outdated.

The Japanese would be a strong contender, but they're kind of an oddball case and frankly had a whole bunch of issues of their own, and their whole military was just built to do some profoundly different things than what the French or even the English were doing.

e;fb

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The French by a country mile. The Japanese may have been in contention if not for the fact that they got routed by the embarrassingly awful Red Army in 1938/39.

Seriously, the Red Army was in complete and utter shambles in 1938 due to the purges still going on. And all of their equipment (tanks/planes/etc) was still total trash. Remember, we are still 2 years from early production models of T-34s and KVs.

The BT-7M was a very competitive vehicle for its time. Just because it wasn't a gamechanger like the T-34 was doesn't make it trash. Of you look at what the rest of the world was running around with, even the venerable T-26 could kick rear end.

The Red Army had a hosed up doctrine that could be summarized as and only trained to win a very specific kind of war, so it really depends on how the fighting would pan out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Can't one argue that the Red Army was simply incapable of fighting any type of war due to the ongoing chaos at all levels of leadership due to the purges?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
They managed just fine at Lake Khasan, so I wouldn't say that. This was before the 1940/41 swelling up when tons of junior officers were promoted beyond their competence.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Could you do some kind of comparison between the Japanese and Soviet tanks used there?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Chillyrabbit posted:

Using only the number of divisions a country has is kind of misleading if you want to know how strong a country's military is. Russia's military was strong on paper but the Great Purge removed most of their officers and left the Red Army a disorganized mess that only got worse as more and more officers were removed, "disappeared" or were just executed after a sham trial. The Soviet Air Force was also huge on paper, but IIRC most of those planes were either biplanes or heavy, long range bombers good for setting records but not good at tactical interdiction. Plus the Red Fleet... well, it technically existed and I think that's the only nice thing you could say about it in '38. For the strongest military overall I would probably go with either France or England, since they were still the premier great powers, if not as powerful as they were pre-WWI.

edit: what all those people above me said better than I could

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ensign Expendable posted:

The BT-7M was a very competitive vehicle for its time. Just because it wasn't a gamechanger like the T-34 was doesn't make it trash. Of you look at what the rest of the world was running around with, even the venerable T-26 could kick rear end.
It occurs to me that you might know this. What the hell does the "M" appended to a previously existing tank designation actually mean?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Hogge Wild posted:

Could you do some kind of comparison between the Japanese and Soviet tanks used there?

Red Army

T-26

The design of the T-26 dates back to old Vickers tanks from the late 1920s. While the most recently produced T-26es were much better, the Far East wasn't exactly the pinnacle of up to date tanks forces. The tank had up to 15 mm of armour, which really only protects from bullets and the most obsolete cannons. The gun on most T-26 tanks was a 45 mm model 1937, which could knock out any Japanese tank at any effective range.

BT tanks

There were various BT tanks fighting at Khalkin-Gol, from the very first BT-2s to fairly advanced BT-7s. While the intermediate BT-5s shared turrets (and a lot of problems) with T-26 tanks, the latest BT-7s had (slightly) better armour, superior turret layouts, and all wheel drive. The gun was still the same as the T-26. While the speed of the T-26 was about the same as the Japanese tanks, the BT-7 was a hell of a lot faster, and had the ability to make rapid marches without wearing down its components as much, due to its convertible drive.

T-37

A scout tank based on a Vickers-Carden-Lloyd design, armed only with a machinegun, but with amphibious capability. Armour was about half as thick as the T-26, and it was vulnerable to armour piercing bullets and high caliber machineguns.

Japan

Type 89

Japan's first mass produced tank, based on the British Medium tank Mk. C. The tank had comparable armour to a BT tank, but its armament was a short 57 mm gun. While this shell could fit a little more explosive than the Soviet 45 mm guns, its penetration was abysmal, and it would be unable to meaningfully damage Soviet tanks from over 500 meters (I don't know if they even got armour piercing shells, though). This tank was very slow, even slower than the T-26.

Type 94

A machinegun-only light tank, this vehicle had slightly better front armour than the T-37, but was not amphibious.

Type 97 Te-Ke

Another light tank, designed to be an infantry support tank with only a machinegun, replacing the Type 94. Nevertheless, Japanese engineers managed to cram a 37 mm gun previously rejected for the Type 89 design for having a weak HE shell. This gun's shells were fast enough to penetrate Soviet tanks at considerably larger distances than the 57 mm gun. Nevertheless, these tanks were largely used for reconnaissance and infantry support, not to fight other tanks. The armour of this tank was comparable to the T-26 tank.

Type 95 Ha-Go

A cavalry support tank, armed with a 37 mm gun, designed to replace the Type 89. A reduction in armour made this tank fast enough for cavalry, but it still couldn't outrace a BT.

Type 97 Chi-ha

A medium tank, the most impressive in Japan's arsenal at the time. The relatively thick armour (up to 27 mm) was almost as thick as the maximum of the Soviet opposition, but it was armed with the same unsatisfactory 57 mm gun. Despite the tank being heavier, its speed did not drop significantly, and it could compete with the rest of the Japanese tanks.

Arquinsiel posted:

It occurs to me that you might know this. What the hell does the "M" appended to a previously existing tank designation actually mean?

Modernized.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Huh. That seems kind of confusing to me, given that you could modernise a tank multiple times. Does A then mean "Armoured" or something entirely different?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

Huh. That seems kind of confusing to me, given that you could modernise a tank multiple times. Does A then mean "Armoured" or something entirely different?

A as a prefix (A-7, A-34) indicates a factory #183 prototype. As a suffix it can mean a modification (T-54A, T-62A) or in the case of the BT-7A, the artillery support model. An up-armoured version would be occasionally indicated by E (Ekrannirovanniy: with screens).

Pirate Jesus
Oct 7, 2003
He died for your booty.

FAUXTON posted:

drat, dude's name was Bill Hitler. Sounds like an SNL skit.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/rk9abw/bloggers

On topic: Did japanese armor improve much during the war? It seems like the theaters they fought in during the war wouldn't have benefited much from better tanks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Not really at all, in 1945 those same Ha-Gos and Chi-Has with a slightly better gun fought against Shermans and T-34s. That didn't end well.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Japan made a conscious decision early on to not give a gently caress about tank design and production at the expense of anything else. All things considered it was the right call.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
It would have come in handy if they were planning on pushing into the mainland more, but that would involve not fighting a war with the Americans.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can't one argue that the Red Army was simply incapable of fighting any type of war due to the ongoing chaos at all levels of leadership due to the purges?

They kicked some serious rear end in Khalkin Gol - the battle was a near-textbook envelopment that Zhukov would pull off again (and again) years later fighting the Germans.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It would have come in handy if they were planning on pushing into the mainland more, but that would involve not fighting a war with the Americans.

Except tanks need oil and the Japanese simply didn't have enough to maintain a respectable tank force along with their navy. And steel come to mention it. You could wonder what might have happened if the Japanese did direct their priorities differently and aimed to expand inland instead of into the Pacific, but from what I know of Japanese military politics there was no chance in loving hell that the navy wasn't getting their share.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 30, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, it turns out that a military dictatorship without an actual dictator to get poo poo done ends with your state at war with nearly everyone while your army and navy pursue radically different and mutually exclusive goals!

That'll work great! :cripes:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I've heard a lot of complaints about the idea of a constantly retreating Soviet army during Barbarossa. Considering there's a lot of stuff that's just wrong that keeps getting repeated in modern media about the Red Army, what's the truth of the matter on this one?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Azran posted:

I've heard a lot of complaints about the idea of a constantly retreating Soviet army during Barbarossa. Considering there's a lot of stuff that's just wrong that keeps getting repeated in modern media about the Red Army, what's the truth of the matter on this one?

This is a pretty good place to start. The short form is that the Red Army launched a number of local counter-attacks that were generally disastrous but forced the Germans to expend men and supplies that they would later need in the winter.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

jng2058 posted:

This is a pretty good place to start. The short form is that the Red Army launched a number of local counter-attacks that were generally disastrous but forced the Germans to expend men and supplies that they would later need in the winter.

I keep meaning to watch that! Just realized I bookmarked it three times, haha. Thanks. :)

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No, that's definitely an incorrect interpretation. Although the purges and the athmosphere of paranoia certainly limited Soviet army's capabilities, they were quite capable and definitely no pushover. After banging their heads against Finnish defences for over two months and after suffering huge casualties, they efficiently regrouped, reorganized, sacked the old guard and completely smashed Finnish army in two weeks in 1940. Zhukov also smashed Japan in Mongolia in 1939 in less than two weeks. All of those experiences were later put to good use against Germans.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Both the Chinese and Japanese did not get great use out of their tanks in China, and the coastal areas are the best parts of China for armored warfare, well, the best parts that had any real value.

That being said, the Japanese did make improved tank designs, but they never left the home islands. There's not a lot of evidence that they would have made a lot of difference. The US was much much better at mechanized warfare than the Japanese were and I think in the more open territory of Honshu the US could have made good use of that advantage.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You could the Japanese a couple hundred Panthers by 1942 and they'd just get Jabo'd to death by American airpower

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Panzeh posted:

Both the Chinese and Japanese did not get great use out of their tanks in China, and the coastal areas are the best parts of China for armored warfare, well, the best parts that had any real value.

The Chinese limited capacity consisted mostly of what would be reformed into the 200th mechanized division, and even then it was mostly obsolete light designs and armored cars. Over all they had enough to last them for one battle as a cohesive unit, so I don't think there was a way for them to use those assets in a meaningful way.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Chiang Kai-shek could have gone cruising for chicks in one and throw some litter from them at Mao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

A as a prefix (A-7, A-34) indicates a factory #183 prototype. As a suffix it can mean a modification (T-54A, T-62A) or in the case of the BT-7A, the artillery support model. An up-armoured version would be occasionally indicated by E (Ekrannirovanniy: with screens).
This sounds even more complex than the American system. I think I'm just going to give up on it.

• Locked thread