Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
It's currently up right now, but don't tell anyone. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jfizzoid
Feb 8, 2005
sproing

StarMinstrel posted:

Anyone else indecisive like me that will register exile PvP and PvE to see how it goes on both server?

Me. I'm going with whichever goons aren't a bunch of bossy spergin' tryhards telling me I need to be on mumble or some dumb IRC channel or I can't roll for blue loincloth.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I used this uptime to install a few more addons like Nexus Panel and make some tweaks to my character customizations and snag that new code. Nexus panel is simple, but nice to have over the in game fps/ping counter which overlaps with other parts of the UI. I didn't know about character creation codes until a few days ago, and it's such a great convenience, even if you aren't looking to save time, it can be a huge annoyance trying to recreate something you made before.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

soscannonballs posted:

Is there any way to try this game out before the launch?

No, but you can try it after launch because everyone who pre-ordered is getting two 7-day guest passes.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tokaii posted:

If I can play old fart for a minute and remind us all of how far we have come in computer gaming. I played the first commercially available multiplayer RPG on Compuserve in 1982. It was called Dungeons of Kesmai and cost $6.00/hour to play at 300 b/s (yes, bits per second) plus the cost of the phone call to the Compuserve node. I had one month where my Compuserve bill was over $1,000 as I played on the leading guild of the game "Wulf" That month almost ended my marriage.
Oh god, Compuserve. My condolences. Not that I would have been let near that thing as a kid but that rate was almost criminal. I can't imagine it cost them hardly a fraction that much to connect you, but if you didn't want whatever Larry's Podunk BBS you could find you were stuck with it. Of course you could only stay on Bumfuck's BBS for an hour a day because they had like 10 lines and had to free them up, but still, you could practically buy your own drat phone line at both ends for less than that.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

robotastronaut posted:

Minor bug: I'm unable to move a raid to fill the bottom 15 minute slot if i'm dragging the blue bar. I can extend a raid into that slot, though. Otherwise, looks like it's going in the right direction.

Thanks!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!

StarMinstrel posted:

Anyone else indecisive like me that will register exile PvP and PvE to see how it goes on both server?

Honestly at this point I'm gonna roll up a Dominion character first because the debate seems settled there. As soon as the dust dies down and one Exile guild remains I'll know what I'm doing there.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

TyrantWD posted:

I used this uptime to install a few more addons like Nexus Panel and make some tweaks to my character customizations and snag that new code. Nexus panel is simple, but nice to have over the in game fps/ping counter which overlaps with other parts of the UI. I didn't know about character creation codes until a few days ago, and it's such a great convenience, even if you aren't looking to save time, it can be a huge annoyance trying to recreate something you made before.

Is there some way to pull a code for a character you've already created?

Woland
Nov 7, 2005

Libertine posted:

Yeah when you're on the customize screen of character creation at the bottom of the options is 'save/load character'.

It'll give you a key for the character you've currently built.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Libertine posted:

You can also transfer your addon settings. Search for your %appdata% folder and locate the folder for the old character within the server folder then copy those contents to the character folder on your new server.

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.

soscannonballs posted:

Is there any way to try this game out before the launch?

No, but if you or anyone else hasn't jumped on the bandwagon yet, they're giving a bunch of trial codes out to everyone who preordered so I'm sure some of those will be flying around here for people to snag.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No, but you can try it after launch because everyone who pre-ordered is getting two 7-day guest passes.

This is super cool, I've been trying to find an MMO that replaces what WoW PVP was 7 years ago (re: fun) but I've tried so many MMOs and been burned I wasn't even going to risk dropping money on this one. I'd love to try it out.

e: pre-mature

black.lion fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 29, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Libertine posted:

No, if you're past the character creation stage there is no way to go back and get the customization code for that character.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jfizzoid posted:

Me. I'm going with whichever goons aren't a bunch of bossy spergin' tryhards telling me I need to be on mumble or some dumb IRC channel or I can't roll for blue loincloth.

Thank you jesus, for how "chill" goons try to act the guilds always devolve into this.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Does this launch at midnight EST tonight?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

Pacific. :(

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kewpuh posted:

midnight pacific tomorrow.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Eh close enough. If someone knows Gay Rumsfeld you can tell him he can post in the thread again as long as he doesn't throw another retard baby temper tantrum

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Launching eastern time is always the better option for everyone. Midnight on the east coast, but 9pm pacific.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Launching eastern time is always the better option for everyone. Midnight on the east coast, but 9pm pacific.

Blizzard has Been doing that recently. Not sure why carbine didn't.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

Blizzard has Been doing that recently. Not sure why carbine didn't.

Are you going to play with Rankil? I was trying to decide if I actually wanted to purchase another goddamned MMO

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

I said come in! posted:

Everyone except Euros that don't want to wake up early Sir. :colbert:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

It's gonna be at 3am EST on Saturday morning.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation

A Tartan Tory posted:

Oh, sorry about that, he obviously meant to say "everyone who matters." :smug:

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

A Tartan Tory posted:

Isn't that better for Euros though. I bet the servers won't be crowded as much as murica ones when headstart launches.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jfizzoid posted:

Ugh god being social in an MMO. You can pretty much assume you won't be doing high level dungeons/raids at the start if you don't want to sit and at least listen to voicechat.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

Are you going to play with Rankil? I was trying to decide if I actually wanted to purchase another goddamned MMO

This is probably the best MMO to come out in years, so if you're at all interested in the genre, go for it.

I know people say "oh man this is the best mmo in years, wow killer!!" for almost every single MMO release, but this one is actually quite impressive and well polished all around. I haven't seen this much polish in an MMO outside of WoW.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

panda clue posted:

This is probably the best MMO to come out in years, so if you're at all interested in the genre, go for it.

I know people say "oh man this is the best mmo in years, wow killer!!" for almost every single MMO release, but this one is actually quite impressive and well polished all around. I haven't seen this much polish in an MMO outside of WoW.

I'm just glad I resisted the urge to try ESO while waiting for Wildstar, poo poo sounds horrendous.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

I wanted to like ESO but that game was just not good enough.

I have my own reservations about the long-term prospects of this game but I think I'll keep them to myself instead of restarting another rehashed argument in this thread. Let's just say that this game definitely seems to have the most varied amount of content available at-launch compared to other recent MMO launches.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Does any progress made while the servers are up now carry over to the for real launch?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

BlueDestiny posted:

Does any progress made while the servers are up now carry over to the for real launch?

No, everything is being wiped before the headstart.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

flipoff posted:

I'm just glad I resisted the urge to try ESO while waiting for Wildstar, poo poo sounds horrendous.

At risk of starting a shitstorm, I preordered and played ESO, and while an enjoyable game, it felt lacking in content and it suffers from the same sort of "you get all the skills you need in an hour" sort of progression that Guild Wars 2 suffered from.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tokaii posted:

Beginning areas are going to be insanely crowded, I'm in no hurry.
They have an automatic overflow instancing mechanic that kicks in if things are too stressed, and they specifically opened only one realm a few times to make sure it's working. Not that it ever goes smoothly, but I'm hoping it's least a little less bumpy for having prepared that way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

Please play this stupid MMO with us. What faction will you be?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Tha Chodesweller posted:

At risk of starting a shitstorm, I preordered and played ESO, and while an enjoyable game, it felt lacking in content and it suffers from the same sort of "you get all the skills you need in an hour" sort of progression that Guild Wars 2 suffered from.

The carrot in GW2 and ESO were not long enough to keep some players attached.

Tokaii
Mar 8, 2004

Oldest Goon
July 29, 1942

I said come in! posted:

I always thought 2:00 a.m. Friday Eastern would be the best launch time to stretch out the auth server and beginning area loads. First would come the poopsockers, then the unemployed and students during the day Friday and then everyone else after 5 p.m.

Tokaii
Mar 8, 2004

Oldest Goon
July 29, 1942

flipoff posted:

It is. Very limited storage and no AH means virtually no player economy. Quitting my sub this weekend.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Lemon King posted:

The carrot in GW2 and ESO were not long enough to keep some players attached.

See, the weird thing is, I played the gently caress out of GW2. Then I hit level 80, and there wasn't anything to do. So these crazy rear end raids in WildStar look good - I didn't quite like raids in WoW so much because as a DPS, it wasn't very involving.

GW2 had engaging gameplay, but when your endgame is "grind for currency to buy cosmetic items" it's just... no. Not fun.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation

Tha Chodesweller posted:

GW2 had engaging gameplay, but when your endgame is "grind for currency to buy cosmetic items" it's just... no. Not fun.

This was LOTRO's problem too. Raids, it turns out, are extremely expensive to create, and when you're an F2P game almost nobody who pays you money is going to use them. So what's left? I dunno, here have some pretty hats and cloaks I guess :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

socialsecurity posted:

Thank you jesus, for how "chill" goons try to act the guilds always devolve into this.

I've been running the chillest crew of nerds I have had the pleasure of meeting since early 2011. All the while raiding hard enough to be part of the top guilds of our server. Maybe your experiences are tainted with inferior leadership, though. :smaug:

• Locked thread