Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
It only makes sense to visit the side games after having put more into Tokimemo 2's characters.

So, for now let's see what Tokimemo 3 has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Voting C.

Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014
As long as we come back to Tokimeki 2 later, I'd like to see how badly Tokimeki 3 ruined everything.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Let the Bad Times roll.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Let's see Tokimemo 3, but feel free to make it quick. Don't waste too much time on it if the game is that bad.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Sure, ruin everything.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Was to vote to continue tokimeki 2 but let's see how bad Tokimeki 3 is.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Lets go with C.

Did you just put D as an option to delay doing the third game as much as possible?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Lets go with C.

Did you just put D as an option to delay doing the third game as much as possible?

I was honestly curious. I would also be able to get cracking on 4 immediately, instead of having to ask my friends if any of them kept their copies of 3 around.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

vibratingsheep posted:

I was honestly curious. I would also be able to get cracking on 4 immediately, instead of having to ask my friends if any of them kept their copies of 3 around.

So 3 isn't on the PSN store then?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A, we need more Homura.

I'm not really keen on seeing what a bad dating sim is like. At best it's just bad and boring.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

So 3 isn't on the PSN store then?

No one would buy it.

Poil posted:

A, we need more Homura.

I'm not really keen on seeing what a bad dating sim is like. At best it's just bad and boring.

There are a lot of interesting stories and "interesting" design choices, so there should be plenty to talk about.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

I'm gonna buck trends and say I want to see B, side game adventures, as I'm deathly curious what sort of shenanigans happen when you take a dating sim setting and try to make other games around it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I don't really care which one we do next, personally. I'm interested to see how 3 is hosed up, though, and if there are any saving graces at all.

That said, this is still an abstention because the rest of 'em also seem interesting.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
In my opinion, you can only appreciate the good in life after toughing it through the bad.

So let's see this trainwreck to make us appreciate 2 all the more when we come back to it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Poil posted:

A, we need more Homura.

drat right A! A true hero never stops believing, even when the odds are against them. :colbert:

EDIT: I also crave Tokusatsu-based funfacts.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Voting for Tokimemo 3, so when our hearts are crushed by awfulness we've got an excuse to come back to T2 and have Hikari rescue us.

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013
I vote C, because I have heard things about this game from people who have survived it.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I googled Tokimeki 3 because curiosity

:magical:
Is it just six of the same girl with different wigs/contacts?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Uh, wow. The art looks like some scanned-in poo poo you'd see on newgrounds.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That can not be official. Please do not be official. Jeez, the last two games have been decent...

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
If that art is indicative of the game as a whole I have made a terrible mistake in casting my vote.

Whatever, so be it. drat the torpedoes and all that jazz.

Dycroma
Apr 20, 2014
What a glorious shift from 2D to 3D.

We have to commit to our vote no matter the consequence and brave the land of a single character model.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
It's not too late for that TokiMemo 3 disc to suddenly turn into an Idolm@ster 2 disc. Just sayin'.

Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014
Oh wow, I don't think a single one of them is actually smiling. Even the characters aren't happy about this game!

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

The sad thing is, they all have the same emotions on their face, so you can't really imply anything about their personality. (Their faces aren't exactly the same, I guess. The two in the back have slightly more pointy eyes.)

Are ... are we going to be dating robots? They all look very generic, like they were mass produced somewhere.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

And why do all of them have eye color that match their hair color? The one with glasses doesn't even have to wear glasses because she's wearing pink-tinted contacts!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We made the correct choice. :colbert:

vv WE MADE THE CORRECT CHOICE. I SAID DIVE.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 29, 2014

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

I... I think I can see why Tokimeki Memorial 3 was looked down upon compared to the last two. :magical:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
WELP

INTO THE DEPTHS WE GO

NO TURNING BACK, NO HESITATION

Catalina
May 20, 2008

For whatever reason, they decided to go with cel-shaded graphics for Tokimeki Memorial 3's.

You know, why don't we check a gameplay video to see how that worked out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8-xnMSHR-g

:allears:

The game has the amazing ability manages to look ahead of and behind it's time.

(ETA: Looking through the videos, I got reminded that they tried to make a Tokimeki Memorial MMORPG. Vibratingsheep dodged a bullet there, as it only ran from 2006-2007.)

Catalina fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 30, 2014

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

how would that even work?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
^^^^^^ I assume we don't want to know.

Streaming tonight, sheep?

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?

Catalina posted:

For whatever reason, they decided to go with cel-shaded graphics for Tokimeki Memorial 3's.

You know, why don't we check a gameplay video to see how that worked out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8-xnMSHR-g

:allears:

The game has the amazing ability manages to look ahead of and behind it's time.

(ETA: Looking through the videos, I got reminded that they tried to make a Tokimeki Memorial MMORPG. Vibratingsheep dodged a bullet there, as it only ran from 2006-2007.)

Ah man that looks really bad. The girls are so flat looking and there's like no nuances to their facial expressions. Also I noticed that there was only like a two year gap between the release of the two games as opposed to the 4-5 year gap between the releases of Tokimemo 1 and 2. Maybe that had something to do with the game looking so rushed and the characters looking so crap? I mean I know PS2 3D graphics weren't the best but they really seemed to have phoned this one in.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well I think I can see why 3 was reviled now.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

I'm going to choose to believe that you could date either scripted characters or other players, and there was a PVP option that consisted of RPG battling other players over the girls you both happened to like.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

sincx posted:

^^^^^^ I assume we don't want to know.

Streaming tonight, sheep?

I don't have my streaming PC back from Fanime staff yet, so if I do stream, it'll have to be from my PC. I have, uh, I guess I could run Memories Off 2nd but that's a straight-up visual novel. The rest of my PC collection is... indicative of the Japanese PC game industry (AKA not legal under the rules of either Twitch.tv or the LP forum).

Also, I want to pump out the first Tokimemo 3 post tonight, introducing the game and where its many flaws come from.

Robindaybird posted:

Hat collecting. A lot of hat collecting via mini-game events. Oh, and there were three datable girls, who I believe all players could date.

There was an anime that was made to promote Tokimeki Memorial Online, called Tokimeki Memorial Only Love (get it? Tokimemo OL), which actually has an episode or two that explains this.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 30, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

Oh, and there were three datable girls, who I believe all players could date.

Talk about getting around...:stare:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Vil posted:

And why do all of them have eye color that match their hair color? The one with glasses doesn't even have to wear glasses because she's wearing pink-tinted contacts!

This is actually one of my biggest animation pet-peeves. I hate when a character's hair is the same color as their eyes as it displays a laziness in animation/coloring and to me became a signal of a bad product.

Even now when they do it and the characters are decent it still seems lazy to me. I'm not exactly sure how justified I am in this belief as I do not know how much budget/time one saves by insuring their Korean animators do not have to change pencil color/paint color in animation program from hair to eyes.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3!

Yes, this is real. No, I am not allowing takesies-backsies.

Tokimeki Memorial 3 introduction
Tokimeki Memorial 3: First Contact (character introductions and poll)
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 1: Working the clock
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 2: Working the system
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 3: Working for the weekend
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 4: Working hard, not smart
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 5: Working through the pain
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 6: Working toward a better tomorrow
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 7: But... the future refused to change
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 8: Snake? Snake? SNAAAAAAAKE!
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 9: Let us go out this evening for pleasure.
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 10: The night is still young.
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 11: And they were never heard from again.
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 12: You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 13: Fission Mailed
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 14: The Pain
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 15: The Sorrow
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 16: The Fury
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 17: The End
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 18: The Fear
Tokimemo 3, Chapter 19: The Joy

Ladies and gentlemen, we are gathered here today to mourn the death of Tokimeki Memorial. The poor girl died on December 20, 2001 under unfortunate circumstances, when she was thrown onto the PlayStation 2 when she just wasn't ready. The reason? As with so many other untimely game deaths, the reason was money.

Why? Why did this tragedy have to happen?

To understand the reason Tokimemo 3 died, you must understand what was going on with both Konami and Japan at large at the time.

The '90s in Japan are known as the Lost Decade, a time of deep recession and the very very conservative investment that come with it. Even with the success of Tokimeki Memorial 2 and the Beatmania franchise - and don't get me wrong, Konami was doing pretty well on those fronts - Konami couldn't coast on Tokimemo 2 side games and new iterations of Dance Dance Revolution forever. In order to fund new development, Konami created Game Fund Tokimeki Memorial (AKA the Tokimemo Fund) in 2000, a kind of proto-crowdfunding that had already found success in funding the development of Metal Gear Solid and Suikoden. Interestingly, the Tokimemo Fund didn't just fund Tokimemo 3 - it also funded an experimental spin-off of Tokimeki Memorial that was going to be aimed at girls, known as Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side.

The way the Tokimemo Fund worked was pretty different from how crowdfunding works now. Unlike Kickstarter, which is more like a pre-order with benefits, the Tokimemo Fund was an open-ended development funding corporation set up in the Bahamas (likely for tax purposes).

What's that mean?

The difference between the Tokimemo Fund and Kickstarter is that the Tokimemo Fund was an actual investment. Konami promised to pay interest off of the profits from Tokimemo 3 and Tokimemo Girl's Side. The minimum buy-in for the Tokimemo Fund was 100,000 yen (about USD 830 at the time, USD 1,110 in today's dollars), and for buying into the fund, investors got Kickstarter-style benefits, like pre-orders of the Limited Edition and their name in the credits.

Tokimemo 3's trouble started with the Tokimemo Fund - investors committed 12 billion yen ($10 million then, $13.4 million now) to the fund, but only 7.7 billion yen ($6.4 million then, $8.5 million now) actually materialized.

This forced two games to be made on a little over half of their planned budget.

By the way - in 2003, the Tokimemo Fund paid out 10,088 yen per 10,000 yen invested. There was a 3.15% handling fee charged at the time of the original transaction in 2000, so investors essentially lost 2,270 yen over 3 years per 100,000 minimum investment.

This is why Konami has not tried this funding method again.

Money doesn't explain everything, does it?

No, it doesn't, but it certainly didn't help. There was a lot more that went wrong with Tokimeki Memorial 3. Fans started to notice some problems when the game was unveiled with 6 main characters, a significantly smaller cast than Tokimemo 1 and Tokimemo 2 and a sign of rushed development.

So, what is actually different between the previous games and Tokimeki Memorial 3?

The obvious thing first: someone at Konami decided to take advantage of the PS2 and experiment with cel-shaded 3D animation instead of traditional 2D sprites. The time required to create a new art style and graphics engine from scratch, along with the usual troubles associated with transitioning from PlayStation to PlayStation 2, ate a huge amount of the team's efforts and resulted in far less time spent on the things that had made the previous Tokimemo games successful.

Tokimemo 3 is set in Moegino, a fictional city that doesn't seem to be anywhere near Kirameki and Hibikino, to the chagrin of fans who wanted to see Tokimemo easter eggs. Interestingly, these series easter eggs are present in Girl's Side, which just makes you wonder why they chose to leave them out of 3. The legendary tree of 1 and bell of 2 are replaced by a legendary hill, which may inspire dread in those familiar with the KimiNozo/Rumbling Hearts series.

Unlike the previous games, which featured songs by the voices of the main heroines, the opening and ending songs are performed by the legendary band/vocalist Zard, and the opening can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUkgmB76X8Y

There are a few significant system changes, especially related to stats, but those can wait until I actually start the game.

Is there a Shiori-alike in this game?

I dunno. Maybe.

Okay, let's step back a little. When do we get to meet the cast?

Soon. But first, I'd like you guys to suggest new titles for the thread! All of my ideas are mostly unprintable, due to my opinion of this installment.

Many thanks, as usual, to Good Guy Seiya, who is able to explain economics to me as if I were a third grader.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 3, 2014

• Locked thread