Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Ballistic Weapons is a pretty cool mod, but I can't stand how much it slows you down. You move at 50% speed, and if you're on a low grav map the recoil basically doesn't work and you get to move slower. The guys did do a ton of work on it, and it's too bad that their UT3 mod/TC never really went anywhere as interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There are a zillion guns and--while there are inevitable redundancies between many of them--each one still (somehow) feels unique enough that everybody can find their own combination of preferred guns and strategies.

Dual BORTs or go home. :colbert:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Dual BORTs or go home. :colbert:

Dual AM67s on full-auto. Aiming is for chumps. :c00lbutt:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

ExMortis posted:

Johnny Law you out there?

Hiho!

ExMortis posted:

1) is there a command to move to next map in the cycle or is it on a timer? Didn't see this in the readmes. Kind of afraid I'll end up on DM4 for 45 minutes if I don't know this ahead of time (edit: ok, 25 frags, but maybe I just wanna skip the map)
2) can you make the bots use skins? Not seeing anywhere to edit the bots, does any bot have this functionality

1) It's purely according to fraglimit and/or timelimit. A zero limit means "no limit". If both are nonzero then it will end when the first limit is hit (and timelimit is in minutes).

If you want to be able to go to the next map on demand, as a jerry-rigged solution you can set up a key bind for "fraglimit 1" which will end the map (or end it Real Soon), and another key bind for "fraglimit 25" or whatever you want the normal limit to be. Hit the bind for fraglimit 1 to end the map, then when intermission happens make sure you restore the real fraglimit before exiting intermission and going to the next map.

If you want to get super-fancy you can set up a single key that toggles between the fraglimits and handles the intermission-exit for you. Maybe something like this (probably doesn’t exactly work since I don’t have Quake handy for testing):
code:
alias end_and_nextmap end_map
alias end_map “fraglimit 1; alias end_and_nextmap next_map”
alias next_map “fraglimit 25; +jump; wait; -jump; alias end_and_nextmap end_map”

bind k end_and_nextmap
2) As far as I know there's no way to skin frikbots (without editing QuakeC and player model files).

JLaw fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 29, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bloody Pom posted:

Dual AM67s on full-auto. Aiming is for chumps. :c00lbutt:

I've got a soft spot for that super industrial-looking SMG that can alt-fire a poisonous dart. It's just insult to injury to mag-dump into somebody, and then tag them with a dart that finishes them off.

Love the hell out of the AM67, though, and blinding people with the underslung flash feature.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Then there's the assault rifle with the proximity mine launcher. Tagging someone with that causes them to spontaneously explode after a few seconds.

If you use the fan-made weapon pack, there's a modded version of the AM67 that shoots .600-caliber AP rounds. :commissar:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I don't know if its UK only but the painkiller reboot from a couple years ago is currently on sale at 80% off on steam. I remember someone in this thread saying it was good so I bought it. As far as I can tell so far its basically classic painkiller but with nice graphics and co op.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Brasseye posted:

I don't know if its UK only but the painkiller reboot from a couple years ago is currently on sale at 80% off on steam. I remember someone in this thread saying it was good so I bought it. As far as I can tell so far its basically classic painkiller but with nice graphics and co op.

If anyone has any interest in it I would say just to go get the complete pack since it includes all the DLC and collector's edition content (don't even bother with anything that isn't the the black edition or hell & Damnation)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Brasseye posted:

Yeah, it's pretty good and a nice "best-of" the original game without having to deal with the original's clunky menus, ridiculous tarot card requirements, and how the original deals with difficulty and save games. Them trying to nickle-and-dime you with the DLC is lame, but you get most of the the original's best maps included with the game.

For some reason, maps I hated in the original PK seem to be a bit better in the HD remake, and I don't know why. I thought Bridge was boring in the original game, but the HD version was a lot better than I remembered. Leningrad was a pain in the rear end for me in the original, but the remake seems to remove stupid poo poo like the airstrikes at the start of the map and sniping enemies hiding behind windows. It also has a giant Stalin statue stare at you, then walk away at the start of the map and adds actual music instead of an endless loop of the Soviet anthem.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Love the hell out of the AM67, though, and blinding people with the underslung flash feature.

I'm becoming more of a fan of popping people with the revolvers and the Desert Eagle. The LeMat revolver is actually really good when you have reloading disabled; you can shred enemies by constantly firing the gun or get close to them and blow them away with the shotgun alt-fire. The revovlers are much easier to control, but blowing a bot away with a scoped DE shot is really cool when you pull it off.

The Deus Ex auto shotgun from one of the community bonus packs is the best out of all the weapons, though.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 29, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Random question. Did Uncle Ben's do a promotion with id Software for Quake Live? I tried googling for this and I couldn't find anything but I swear to god this happened. Is this just a fever dream of mine?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Random question. Did Uncle Ben's do a promotion with id Software for Quake Live? I tried googling for this and I couldn't find anything but I swear to god this happened. Is this just a fever dream of mine?
I definitely think the sleep deprivation's kicking in. Sorry man.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

I definitely think the sleep deprivation's kicking in. Sorry man.

I swear the two combined forces at some point. Maybe there was an Uncle Ben's ad on the billboards in the game?

Uncle Ben's and Quake Live are more related than people think. This has been bugging me for months now and I'm going to find proof.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Is it possible to still use ATI Truform on modern video cards (for stuff like RtCW), like any fan fixes or whatever? Also has anyone got WH40k Fire Warrior working on 64-bit machines?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing the original Doom (through zdoom) at the office off and on for the last few weeks and finally just beat the third episode yesterday. I'm just starting on Doom 2 now and I was wondering if there were any mods (or maybe just settings) or whatnot to make the game look ... nicer?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been playing the original Doom (through zdoom) at the office off and on for the last few weeks and finally just beat the third episode yesterday. I'm just starting on Doom 2 now and I was wondering if there were any mods (or maybe just settings) or whatnot to make the game look ... nicer?

Use gzdoom and HQ2x? Define "nicer".

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
For a certain value of 'nicer', Samsara with samsara_cl_bloodyhell set to -1.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you mean higher resolution textures, it's probably best to forget it - all the HD texture packs out there are hilariously hideous.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If you really enjoy the look of Quake 2, there is Doomsday, which replaces all the sprites with chunky ugly models.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It's kind of a shame nobody's made very convincing 3D models for all of the Doom characters/sprites to my knowledge; a proper set of models for 'em would be amazing.

I mean, the geometry of the one in the post above me looks okay, but the texture has a lot of additional flair (weird red things on forehead, ridges everywhere like it's some kind of Klingon pinky demon) that kind of kills the look for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shadow Hog posted:

It's kind of a shame nobody's made very convincing 3D models for all of the Doom characters/sprites to my knowledge; a proper set of models for 'em would be amazing.

I mean, the geometry of the one in the post above me looks okay, but the texture has a lot of additional flair (weird red things on forehead, ridges everywhere like it's some kind of Klingon pinky demon) that kind of kills the look for me.

I'd just love a mod that replaced Doom 3 cacos with proper cacos. The rest of the doom 3 models aren't so wildly different from earlier Doom. Pinky looks a bit different but its the same concept just made more realistic, while caco is almost an entirely different take.

I hate the doom 3 cacos. Although I admit its not gonna be the easiest thing to model in 3D.

Wtf is that poo poo? I love the big red caco with the blue mouth :smith: Doom 3's is all brown and bland, and looks like some kind of root-demon.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 29, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Pretty sure the red thing are part of the death animation since the one on the far left doesn't have them.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

Elliotw2 posted:

Pretty sure the red thing are part of the death animation since the one on the far left doesn't have them.

The Doomsday models have like three levels of battle damage or something, which was the one almost-cool thing about playing with that back when I first got started on source ports.

edit: My visual go-to is always Doom Expanded, has nicer weapon animations, blood, lighting, more death animations for enemies. No gameplay changes apart from making Revenants stupidly overpowered by giving them two missiles and splash damage, but I can upload my version where I crudely commented out most of the stuff to do with revenants.

ExMortis fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 29, 2014

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
That one on the right is one sorry looking cacodemon. I remember enjoying Doom 3 at the time but it has probably aged very badly in comparison to the other 2.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Just play around with the settings in gzdoom. Max res, AA, allow models, resize textures, etc etc. You might even notice frame rate drop with everything turned on/up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brasseye posted:

That one on the right is one sorry looking cacodemon. I remember enjoying Doom 3 at the time but it has probably aged very badly in comparison to the other 2.

Its still pretty fun if you approach it as a horror shooter like Fear, (especially in VR, holy poo poo is it scary) but its pretty meh for a doom game. You're way too loving slow for one. And the shotgun feels weak, that's unforgivable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Uncle Ben's and Quake Live are more related than people think. This has been bugging me for months now and I'm going to find proof.
If this ends up spawning an endlessly sprawling Timecube-style thesis about the Id/Cereal conspiracy, I'm all for it.

Zaphod42 posted:

(especially in VR, holy poo poo is it scary)
Don't tell Zenimax's legal department! They're angry enough as it is.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

If this ends up spawning an endlessly sprawling Timecube-style thesis about the Id/Cereal conspiracy, I'm all for it.

Pssst! Uncle Ben's makes rice, not cereal. :ssh:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Not gonna lie, when I read "Uncle Ben's", it somehow registered as "Ben and Jerry's".

Hey, if they can make a good flavor of ice cream out of The Colbert Report, I'm sure they could've done something good with Quake Live.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Shadow Hog posted:

Not gonna lie, when I read "Uncle Ben's", it somehow registered as "Ben and Jerry's".

Hey, if they can make a good flavor of ice cream out of The Colbert Report, I'm sure they could've done something good with Quake Live.

Muddy brown chocolate ice cream with a swirl of blueberry rail gun trail and strawberry rocket explosions.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Pssst! Uncle Ben's makes rice, not cereal. :ssh:

Isn't rice a cereal grain?

Vote Uncle Ben the next character for Samsara. Cajun Spiced Demon Pilaf anyone?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Muddy brown chocolate ice cream with a swirl of blueberry rail gun trail and strawberry rocket explosions.

Quad Damage - Chocolate fudge chunks with chocolate brownie and chocolate chips in chocolate ice cream.

Caramel Instagib - solid straight core of caramel through the middle of a block of vanilla ice cream.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Brasseye posted:

If you play Doom 3 make sure to get the BFG edition since that rebalances things to be a lot more fun as a shooter(for one thing you can use the Flashlight and a weapon at the same time now), it comes with both Doom 3 expansions, and perhaps most importantly it comes with Doom 1 & 2(in WAD format at that) including the No Rest For The Living episode that used to be exclusive to the Xbox Live version of Doom 2(also in WAD format so you can use it with source ports)

Also quick question; who owns the rights to Strife?(I ask this cause I noticed that not counting Chex Quest, it's the only idTech 1 game that's not available for purchase on Steam[or anywhere else], which means that unless you get your hands on an old copy of the game, it's the only idTech 1 game that you'd have to pirate to play[since Chex Quest 1 & 2 are available legally through Chex Quest 3 and every other idTech 1 game is on Steam])

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

drrockso20 posted:

Also quick question; who owns the rights to Strife?(I ask this cause I noticed that not counting Chex Quest, it's the only idTech 1 game that's not available for purchase on Steam[or anywhere else], which means that unless you get your hands on an old copy of the game, it's the only idTech 1 game that you'd have to pirate to play[since Chex Quest 1 & 2 are available legally through Chex Quest 3 and every other idTech 1 game is on Steam])
Nobody knows.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

This is splitting hairs, but HacX isn't available on Steam, technically.

Then again, I think HacX is freeware at this point.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Strife is so forgotten that some hacks stole the name to make another DOTA clone that nobody will play.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The major issue with high-res texture packs on Doom/Doom 2 is that tthey'll immediately clash with custom textures included with player WADs, no matter if the author of the the texture pack had been able to make the textures absolutely perfectly.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I still have my copy of Strife. I don't know if it would count as :filez: or not since it's more or less abadonware at this point, but if it's cool I wouldn't mind throwing the .wad up someplace for you guys.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd just love a mod that replaced Doom 3 cacos with proper cacos. The rest of the doom 3 models aren't so wildly different from earlier Doom. Pinky looks a bit different but its the same concept just made more realistic, while caco is almost an entirely different take.

I hate the doom 3 cacos. Although I admit its not gonna be the easiest thing to model in 3D.

Wtf is that poo poo? I love the big red caco with the blue mouth :smith: Doom 3's is all brown and bland, and looks like some kind of root-demon.

I didn't even realize those were Cacodemons until I looked at an enemy guide after beating the game. :sigh:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I still have my copy of Strife. I don't know if it would count as :filez: or not since it's more or less abadonware at this point, but if it's cool I wouldn't mind throwing the .wad up someplace for you guys.

It's in the OP, under Heretic/Hexen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Geight posted:

Strife is so forgotten that some hacks stole the name to make another DOTA clone that nobody will play.

:smithicide: Man i loved the Strife setting, another go at it would've been awesome.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?name=Strife

Says Velocity owns it? :raise: Anyway, Following the search link leads to an abandonware (abandonia.com) download that i neither need nor trust. If anyone knows better feel free to share because i stand by my earlier comments that strife is a unique gem absolutely worth playing.

As for uploading it yourself, pretty sure its :filez: . Hopefully i'm mistaken. :shobon: