Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

1) This joke is terrible coincidental name similarity.

2) No he shouldn't because sexy man body makes Mike Lester uncomfortable and I completely support this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Scary Gary

Cow and Boy

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Evil Mastermind posted:

Lester's probably one of those guys who just labels everything he draws in his political cartoons.

He's actually not one of the worse ones as far as that goes. What he does favor is the even-lazier device of "have a giant newspaper headline to explain any and all context the cartoon might need":

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It never really gets commented on but I think La Cucaracha might just be the worst strip in this thread, even moreso than Mike Lester's poo poo. It's exceedingly ugly and it's never once been funny, clever, or interesting even accidentally.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Isn't the whole point of Spider-Man in New York that he can web-swing faster than traffic moves, like a demented aerial bike messenger? Oh, Stan :allears:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Evil Mastermind posted:

GAAAAAAAHSHUT UP! Shutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup!

Anyway.

The Dinette Set

e:

Lester's probably one of those guys who just labels everything he draws in his political cartoons.

Lester is actually pretty good about not over-labeling. He wants you to read the labels of "human being" and "NEGRO" between the lines. And those are everywhere in his cartoons.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's been a long time since I followed the polititoons thread, but I'd forgotten what an ignorant "gummit wants mah money! FUCKIN PEACNIK LIBRULS" jackhole Lester is.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- Mister uncle Mayor, why did a clattering sound come from the sauns?
- Ah well, must have been an elf!
[Child fooler]

Narrata means to make a lie or fool someone lightheartedly or jokingly. Narraaja is a person who does that. It can also mean to catch a fish. So, "child catcher" in a sense.

[Doctors without borders]
- Eat as many of these as you like, then come get more

Borders, limits, boundaries etc.

Fok_It

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

I think I hate Mike du Jour more than any other comic, including Chickweed Lane and that terrible space detective comic with art as lifeless as 3d model poser comics. You know the one I'm talking about.

Off all things to rip off, Lester goes for SNL's Sarsgaard SARS Guard sketch. I like how he didn't even attempt to make draw Skarsgard. Aren't political cartoonist supposed to be good at caricatures?

So not only is it a feeble attempt at doing a Pastis-style shaggy dog pun, it's not even original? I didn't believe I could think less of Lester, but here we are.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Selachian posted:

So not only is it a feeble attempt at doing a Pastis-style shaggy dog pun, it's not even original? I didn't believe I could think less of Lester, but here we are.

Just a friendly reminder that Mike Lester was chosen to replace Richard Thompson. Keep that in mind when someone claims that there is justice in the universe.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So apparently this Classic Prince Val storyline with Emperor Valentinian and Aetius is historical:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavius_Aetius

Spoilers for Valentinian's fate, I guess, if you can consider "actual history" spoilers. And I'm sure they're going to have to change it up to include Valiant.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Let's read the Howard the Duck newspaper strip from the beginning, shall we?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Classic Fok_It is the best comic in the thread. I know I've already said this three times. I'll say it again in the future, just you try and stop me. You will try, and You Will Fail Comix.

Pooch Café

No joke, my mom thought there were very loud birds living somewhere near the street corner for over a year after they put in the new crosswalks.

Ballard Street

Casters.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

So apparently this Classic Prince Val storyline with Emperor Valentinian and Aetius is historical:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavius_Aetius

Spoilers for Valentinian's fate, I guess, if you can consider "actual history" spoilers. And I'm sure they're going to have to change it up to include Valiant.

Flavius Aetius beat Attila the Hun and kicked him out of Gaul, that's how much of a badass he was.

Also there's about 70 years between Aetius' assassination and the reign of Justinian the Great that's going on in modern Prince Valiant. :v:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Flavius Aetius beat Attila the Hun and kicked him out of Gaul, that's how much of a badass he was.

Also there's about 70 years between Aetius' assassination and the reign of Justinian the Great that's going on in modern Prince Valiant. :v:

It's Valentinian III who's in Prince Val right now, isn't it?

fake edit: Yeah, it's Valentinian:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

It never really gets commented on but I think La Cucaracha might just be the worst strip in this thread, even moreso than Mike Lester's poo poo. It's exceedingly ugly and it's never once been funny, clever, or interesting even accidentally.

I remember being confused by La Cucaracha as a kid, because I wasn't old enough to think very critically of media, or understand why I'd dislike something in general. So, I'd get through most of the funny pages, arrive at La Cucaracha, and I'd have to puzzle over it for a couple minutes. What is this? Why does it make me feel uncomfortable? Why don't I like this? It was like some kind of cognitive dissonance. Eventually I just started ignoring it altogether.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Wading around in the Atlantic off Block Island, I stepped on something on the bottom that felt like a Frisbee. And then it moved. I didn't look to see what it was.

Most likely suspect: Atlantic Horseshoe Crab

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

pienipple posted:

Most likely suspect: Atlantic Horseshoe Crab

I got to pet one of these at the aquarium the other day. They're harmless and adorable and I want one as a pet. If only there was a comic strip about horseshoe crabs :3:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

sweetguts posted:

I got to pet one of these at the aquarium the other day. They're harmless and adorable and I want one as a pet. If only there was a comic strip about horseshoe crabs :3:

They're my favorite marine life, I love picking them up and then letting them swim away flapping their silly book lungs. :3:

Mark Trail on Horseshoe Crabs:

pienipple fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 29, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

That first panel. Yeesh. It's time for Quill to cut Luann loose and start looking around for some drama chick at Moony U. I heard Tiff is planning to go there.

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Johnny Walker posted:

An accurate portrait of how the justice system works actually.

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

That first panel. Yeesh. It's time for Quill to cut Luann loose and start looking around for some drama chick at Moony U. I heard Tiff is planning to go there.

Just to recap, we have now spent the entire week with Luann being a titanic bitch because she apparently has the female equivalent of blue balls. I'd check and make sure that Brooke isn't guest-writing, but there aren't enough ten-dollar words scattered around.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Selachian posted:

Just to recap, we have now spent the entire week with Luann being a titanic bitch because she apparently has the female equivalent of blue balls. I'd check and make sure that Brooke isn't guest-writing, but there aren't enough ten-dollar words scattered around.

Also, you recognized there was a plot, so that's another strike against the Brooke hypothesis.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

It must be difficult to guard that prison, what with the prisoners uniforms being exactly the same color as the guard uniform.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I wonder if there is some kind of master plan going on here where they are intentionally making Luann a miserable bitch and plan to have the character evolve in college to something more tolerable. I can't possibly think they find her funny or even amusing.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

I'm grateful that Opus doesn't swivel his head that way too often.

:sax:

Calvin And Hobbes

DOGG

Ripley's

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

How can one man be so insufferable

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

tiistai posted:

Years of practice and refinement. It's working for me!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

tiistai posted:

It's like he's not so much a man as a saccharine 50s white people memorabilia construct.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

gently caress NO STOP NO MORE

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I didn't know I would be capable of feeling hatred towards a dog (even if it was a cartoon character).

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street

Casters.

Well, normally it's casters, but not with Darin's chair.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Blhue posted:

It must be difficult to guard that prison, what with the prisoners uniforms being exactly the same color as the guard uniform.

I'd rather wear that color uniform than the ones in Ernest Goes to Jail.

Hot. Pink.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Can I hate this, but still appreciate that he bothered to draw the little doodad for playing 45s?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Motels are dirt cheap, Quill.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

And the motivation? Killed in a mugging for a new rifle he had been given as a gift, after had befriended a Russian cartographer. Tragic, really.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

tiistai posted:

Narrata means to make a lie or fool someone lightheartedly or jokingly. Narraaja is a person who does that. It can also mean to catch a fish. So, "child catcher" in a sense.
How the hell do Finnish children learn to speak Finnish? I mean, they'll want to say "Mommy, I need to go potty" but it'll probably end up something like "I like moose cheese under my scrotum".

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

More from Weapon Brown! Here's the 4th newspaper/chapter break (featuring the Everett True reference that wouldn't have happened but for you all!:heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Timber-Joe Nature-Boy Environment-Son the Mountain-Man

• Locked thread