Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Mrwimmer posted:

My roommate also got a volca keys, and I can honestly say that for regular playing around the house, the ribbon controller is actually really satisfying to use.

That being said, If I ever record it or gig with it, I'll most likely use an external keyboard.

Yeah, the little touch keyboard works pretty well for something so small.

Anyway, I like the Volca Beats a lot. I was underwhelmed at first because the sounds you can make are pretty limited, but when you're making music with it it just works so well, the sounds fit in the mix so nicely and it just sounds right. They're both great little boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Laserjet 4P posted:

Korgese :colbert:

You have several engines, so it depends on which one you're using. The Synth 1 principles can be applied to the AL-1 or Polysix but are no help whatsoever with MOD-7. Focus on one engine at a time (Polysix for starters is nice and simple), start from an initialized patch, and forget about MOD-7 for the time.

Tried messing about with Yoozer's tutorials again - this time ON the Kronos. The Polysix doesn't let me select any waveform other than Saw or Pulse. Am I missing/misunderstanding something?

Tried on the AL-1 which seemed to match a little better, until I got to a mention of "key shift". I don't see anything equivalent to this, or anything similarly named. Does anyone know what the AL-1 equivalent is? Or if there is one?

I have some books on synth programming arriving today. Steal This Sound and one other I can't immediately recall. Are there any others y'all might recommend?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

HaB posted:

Tried messing about with Yoozer's tutorials again - this time ON the Kronos. The Polysix doesn't let me select any waveform other than Saw or Pulse. Am I missing/misunderstanding something?

If it is a variable duty cycle pulse and/or pulse width modulation then, no.
Those are the waveforms most analog synths push out, that was it for waveform selection on the polysix, stands to reason that that's the extent of waveforms for an emulation of it.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Sizone posted:

If it is a variable duty cycle pulse and/or pulse width modulation then, no.
Those are the waveforms most analog synths push out, that was it for waveform selection on the polysix, stands to reason that that's the extent of waveforms for an emulation of it.

Good to know I'm not going nuts. :)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Number Two Stunna posted:

Yeah, the little touch keyboard works pretty well for something so small.

Anyway, I like the Volca Beats a lot. I was underwhelmed at first because the sounds you can make are pretty limited, but when you're making music with it it just works so well, the sounds fit in the mix so nicely and it just sounds right. They're both great little boxes.

drat, I can't use the ribbon thing at all. Maybe I just need to practice more.

Love Volca Beats, you just have to mix the kick down a lot because it's so massive.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I can't use the ribbon controller on the Keys either, but my fingers are somewhat sausagey. Maybe I could learn to touch the thing extremely lightly, but whatever, I can just an external keyboard.

I loved the Beats, especially the kick, the stutter and how you could record your tweaking, but I ended up selling it. In the end I just couldn't find much of a use for it, and the sounds weren't actually what I needed or wanted (besides, I needed the money). I'll probably regret selling the thing later, but ehh

I actually like the Bass the most out of the trio. It's just got a ludicrously fat sound and you can do so much with it (independently detunable oscillators :allears:). I guess it could use some of the stuff available in the Keys and it not having them is kind of weird (adjustable portamento comes to mind), but otherwise it's just an amazing synth, especially for the price.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I loved the Beats, especially the kick, the stutter and how you could record your tweaking, but I ended up selling it. In the end I just couldn't find much of a use for it, and the sounds weren't actually what I needed or wanted (besides, I needed the money). I'll probably regret selling the thing later, but ehh

The beats have great sounds for what I'm doing but again, I wish it had big clicky trigger buttons like an 808 or something. Changing up the sequence live is frustrating because the interface is so tiny, especially if your other hand is playing a bassline or pads. Considering a groovebox to replace it until I get a rhythm wolf or tr-8.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

A MIRACLE posted:

The beats have great sounds for what I'm doing but again, I wish it had big clicky trigger buttons like an 808 or something. Changing up the sequence live is frustrating because the interface is so tiny, especially if your other hand is playing a bassline or pads. Considering a groovebox to replace it until I get a rhythm wolf or tr-8.

Even I experienced some minor gearlust watching this demo of the upcoming Analog Rytm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGn53AFXwZ0

And when they flip the Overbridge switch, I might not be able to resist.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Even I experienced some minor gearlust watching this demo of the upcoming Analog Rytm.

And when they flip the Overbridge switch, I might not be able to resist.

God I know. This video is what does it for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eov9iFyEGc0

But $1500 can gently caress right off. At least it's a better value than the OP1

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I dunno, $1500 for a fairly sophisticated drum synth with sequencer, FX, velocity sensitive pads and patch recall seems pretty cheap. To put it into perspective the dancing bear is $1200.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
So if the RYTM has the same exact sound generation engine as the A4, couldn't you just make every single sound the RYTM makes with an A4?

OH BUT THE A4 DOESN'T HAVE MUSHY PADS TO MASH.

Ok, then use literally any MIDI controller you can get your hands on.

Am I missing something?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Yea, it's not the same engine. I'm sure that it's built with similar DCOs but the voices are purpose built to the point that you can't load any drum "machine" on any voice. Each voice type has different parameters and is built for making that sound. A4 can't do FM, for instance, sample playback, the filter is a single multimode rather than a pair in series, FX are different including analog compressor and distortion, nevermind more than four voices obv.
It's a neat little box. I've got an MD so I'm not that interested but I wouldn't mind poking one for a bit.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
So it looks like the alesis io 2 is out for lightning iPads. Any experience?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

So if the RYTM has the same exact sound generation engine as the A4, couldn't you just make every single sound the RYTM makes with an A4?

OH BUT THE A4 DOESN'T HAVE MUSHY PADS TO MASH.

Ok, then use literally any MIDI controller you can get your hands on.

Am I missing something?

I have to say, the RYTM looks cool if I had $1500 to spend on an instrument, I was super obsessed with percussion in my music, and I nothing else to spend money on, but really not getting things like FM or sampler support on an analogue machine isn't a big deal to me. I mean I fully agree that it's an awesome little machine and if someone has one then cool, but for me at least it's just way too much to spend on something when there are a ton of other drum machines out there that cost a fraction of what it does and comes really close, especially when the A4 overlaps with it quite a bit while covering things I care way more about.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

I have to say, the RYTM looks cool if I had $1500 to spend on an instrument, I was super obsessed with percussion in my music, and I nothing else to spend money on, but really not getting things like FM or sampler support on an analogue machine isn't a big deal to me. I mean I fully agree that it's an awesome little machine and if someone has one then cool, but for me at least it's just way too much to spend on something when there are a ton of other drum machines out there that cost a fraction of what it does and comes really close, especially when the A4 overlaps with it quite a bit while covering things I care way more about.
You will order one within a fortnight.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

You will order one within a fortnight.

Should we have a pool? :v:

I'm really disappointed it can't at the least sample itself, that's a huge missed opportunity. Supposedly external ins never go A/D, fine whatever, let the thing resample. I'd probably hock the MD.

Alesis io2, supposedly supports sysex this time!

Startyde fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 29, 2014

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
First rehearsal with the Kronos last night. Went well save for one thing:

Tall man is tall.

I am 6'2" and will be standing. Anyone got a recommendation for a stand for tall people? I have been googling all morning, and found nothing but wildly conflicting opinions. :(

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

There's a Machinedrum UW for sale on my local craigslist. How much should they go for used?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

A MIRACLE posted:

There's a Machinedrum UW for sale on my local craigslist. How much should they go for used?

Prices online have kind of dipped because people are chucking their MDs to get the RYTM. For a UW MKII i'd say $800ish is a good price.

SPEAKING OF STUFF FOR SALE

I don't want to poo poo up this thread too much but I've got the following for sale. PM me or post for requests/pictures:

Nord G2 Modular Engine – $1099
Mutable Instruments Ambika – $999
Mutable Instruments Shruthi SMR-4 – $399
Roland JD-990 with Vintage Synth expansion card – $549
Roland M-512E Memory Card – $80
Alesis Micron – $249
Fulltone OCD Drive pedal – $120

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

A MIRACLE posted:

Slight update on the rhythm wolf if anyone's been following it, looks like it's been delayed anywhere from 3 months to 6 months since the release date is now "fall 2014" instead of June of 2014 like when it was originally announced.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I see they're following Korg Time.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Can you toggle the arpeggiator of a DSI Mopho over Midi CC?

HaB posted:

First rehearsal with the Kronos last night. Went well save for one thing:

Tall man is tall.

I am 6'2" and will be standing. Anyone got a recommendation for a stand for tall people? I have been googling all morning, and found nothing but wildly conflicting opinions. :(

I at 6'1" loved stagepianoing with a four legged table stand, had the cheapest model I could find ($50, BSX?), steady and reliable.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

Slight update on the rhythm wolf if anyone's been following it, looks like it's been delayed anywhere from 3 months to 6 months since the release date is now "fall 2014" instead of June of 2014 like when it was originally announced.

It's pretty amazing there still aren't any kind of sound samples or demos of that thing anywhere. Yeah, there was that one really short one at some point somewhere, but I can't find it anymore and jesus christ is this seriously how they think you're supposed to build up hype for a music instrument

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Well that sucks about the Wolf. How well does like an mpc1000 do for gigging? The Drummachine actually looks pretty similar to an MPC what with the sampling engine.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Guess that seals the TR-8 for me. I'd get a Rytm but gently caress if I can afford that right now.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Yeah, there was that one really short one at some point somewhere, but I can't find it anymore and jesus christ is this seriously how they think you're supposed to build up hype for a music instrument
This was it (but it's since been debunked as fake.)

TOTALLY UNRELATED EDIT: Anyone here doing MIDI guitar? I want to be able to use a real guitar to do 6-string poly MIDI input into a computer. There are nine zillion options ranging from a hundred bucks to like $4300, and I just do not know where to start. (I also need a guitar, and will likely bug Guitar Thread about that.)

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 29, 2014

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It's down to a TR-8 and a used R8 for $180 on craigslist for me. The TR-8 looks like it will be easier to sequence in a one-handed / live setting so I'm leaning that way. But the R8 looks like a fuckin tank and has tons of outputs so I'm torn.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Radiapathy posted:

TOTALLY UNRELATED EDIT: Anyone here doing MIDI guitar? I want to be able to use a real guitar to do 6-string poly MIDI input into a computer. There are nine zillion options ranging from a hundred bucks to like $4300, and I just do not know where to start. (I also need a guitar, and will likely bug Guitar Thread about that.)

I had looked into this and still might end up buying something in the future. Moog has a system that's built into a guitar and that seems like the coolest modern way of doing it (those Parker guitars are rather sweet too) but it's expensive as hell.

One option I found that's more realistic is the Graphtech Ghost (http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/ghost) system which will fit over the bridge of most guitars. The Ghost is just the name of the bridge pickup, you have to also buy their Hexpander Preamp in order to make those MIDI signals useful.

Roland's GR system is a lot older but also seems pretty cool to me. I've heard mixed things about the GK pickups but I like being able to just plug a 13-pin cable from the guitar to the sound module and be ready to rock out. I think there were some Roland guitars with the 13-pin plug/pickup system built into it which seem convenient.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

A MIRACLE posted:

It's down to a TR-8 and a used R8 for $180 on craigslist for me. The TR-8 looks like it will be easier to sequence in a one-handed / live setting so I'm leaning that way. But the R8 looks like a fuckin tank and has tons of outputs so I'm torn.

The R8 requires two hands, is an actual tank, has clean sharp samples and is suited for doing actual "real" drumming, like if a band lost their drummer. You want to get cards for it for more electronic drums, or have a nice bay of effects for the separate outs.

(The 1980's equivalent is the Korg DDD1, an over-engineered beautiful thing that I only had the little brother DDD5 of.)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radiapathy posted:

If you're just learning guitar a midi guitar would be like the worst thing to get if you expect to really integrate it into your setup. The technology has come a long way but if you're your not playing in tune and playing with the exact amount of force required then things can go quickly to poo poo so it's really only for advanced players. That being said, I have no idea about a dedicated midi guitar controller but if you wanted to add a midi pickup to a standard guitar then the gold standard is still the SH-075, but it's discontinued so see if one pops up on ebay though I've heard good things about the Roland GK-3 and Fishman being good replacements.

e: And if you're still looking for a first guitar, for the love of all that's holy go to a music store and play every single one of them that's in your price range and then get the one that feels the best to you. I kept my MIM strat from 2000 because almost no other guitar I've played feels as natural as that one to me, although I played a Reverend one recently and it was a close second, but at a grand I'm not getting one for at least a few years.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 30, 2014

DornerHorse
May 21, 2014

Chewie, we're Prohm
poo poo on me. poo poo RIGHT on me.

Newbie here, just wandering around looking for the right VST... I don't know much, so bear with me.

I'd like something compatible with Live 9 that'll help give me deep chords. Something I can play around with my new set of keys with.

Looking for that 'glossy' 'spacey' sound and without overwhelming this post with links, I'll just put one example. If this Terry Lee Brown Jr. track could be used as a starting point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSNKMeaTKj4

Love.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I think that chord is a filtered piano sample, I could be wrong though. Pretty much anything that lets you tune oscillators separately and has nice filters is fine for getting those kind of chord/stab sounds though (I think that is the sound you mean?). I like to start with a bass note and one an octave and a seventh up, then add other notes depending on vibe with a short envelope closing a low-pass filter.

I'm not really up to date on free VSTs, I still use the poo poo I learnt on - I'd look at the TAL stuff though.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

So when do you think development of the electronics actually started? Week after they showed the thing?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Startyde posted:

So when do you think development of the electronics actually started? Week after they showed the thing?

I honestly think this what happened.

"Oh poo poo people actually want this, better figure something out."

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

DornerHorse posted:

I want to buy Z3ta if it's still on sale.

You want to buy Z3ta if it's still on sale.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DornerHorse posted:

poo poo on me. poo poo RIGHT on me.

Newbie here, just wandering around looking for the right VST... I don't know much, so bear with me.

I'd like something compatible with Live 9 that'll help give me deep chords. Something I can play around with my new set of keys with.

Looking for that 'glossy' 'spacey' sound and without overwhelming this post with links, I'll just put one example. If this Terry Lee Brown Jr. track could be used as a starting point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSNKMeaTKj4

Love.

What's your budget?

If t's free then I don't know, if you can spend some money on it then padshop pro is cheepish while absynth is ok and alchemy is loving mind blowing.

Startyde posted:

Sounds about right. They had a ton of interest when they released info on it but haven't done poo poo to showcase it, though I think they've been mainly focusing on the new live/push controllers since those are still suppose to be released soon.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

A MIRACLE posted:

Just get the TR8, man... You will have loads of fun with it, and it's absolutely possible to program one-handed - basically every time I fire mine up, I have some sort of >7% beer in-hand. It's light, but it feels pretty rugged - the buttons could stand to be firmer but that's my only complaint. Maybe find a way to cover the Scatter control with some sort of cupholder?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A Winner is Jew posted:

Aw gently caress :smith: Oh well, I probably couldn't afford it in June anyway.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Radiapathy posted:

Try this. It has a demo and I've found it works well enough. At $100 for the full version it's easily worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DornerHorse
May 21, 2014

Chewie, we're Prohm

A Winner is Jew posted:

What's your budget?

If t's free then I don't know, if you can spend some money on it then padshop pro is cheepish while absynth is ok and alchemy is loving mind blowing.

Willing to throw out 20-50 bones to try something out. Don't want to spend hundreds and end up sucking.

I'll look a bit into your recommendations. Thanks!