Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

The one in Luna opens the way to the boss. As far as I know the one in Sol does nothing, but that's never stopped me from ringing it anyway. Bellbros aren't actually very good a lot of the time.

The exit out of Sol is actually blocked until you ring the bell. Don't know why they put the bell before the exit that time, but you do need to ring it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sol is so much more fun to fight in. Nice open area with lots of room to maneuver around. In Luna people just spend half the time falling between floors and running back up the stairs.

I wish I could invade the Belfrys as a dick wraith without having to actually enter them though. Pretty annoying getting mobbed by grey phantoms every few minutes.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

Certainly doesn't seem to be Shadow Gauntlets though. Nor is it Black Dragon. Which gauntlets are you thinking of?

I don't remember :(

edit: also what are these "extra" Illusory Rings? Exalted and Conqueror are the real ones, what about Vengeful and.. uh, the other?

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Internet Kraken posted:

Sol is so much more fun to fight in. Nice open area with lots of room to maneuver around. In Luna people just spend half the time falling between floors and running back up the stairs.

I wish I could invade the Belfrys as a dick wraith without having to actually enter them though. Pretty annoying getting mobbed by grey phantoms every few minutes.

1) Run to Fog Gate.
2) Stand by Fog Gate.
3) Spam Orbs

If you get invaded, just walk out the fog gate. No sweat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Sol is definitely a better arena. Grinding out titanite chunks is easy but frustrating when you keep getting pulled to Luna, where the only way to have fun is to play hide and seek with Chameleon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh cool Freja's acid attacks hit multiple times, even after the projectile has faded. This instantly killed me. :thumbsup:

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh cool Freja's acid attacks hit multiple times, even after the projectile has faded. This instantly killed me. :thumbsup:

:darksouls:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Aw jeeze, your no-death run is ruined!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

RBA Starblade posted:

On NG+ woe betide anybody who gets stepped on by Freja. It will probably be instantly fatal, or take off 85% of your health. One of the two.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Paracelsus posted:

To be fair, in Luna by the time you are warned you're already in the invasion zone. It's annoying to try and redeem your victories when you're certain to be invaded when you do so.

First time I stumbled into the area, I got invaded right in the middle of talking to the dude at the entrance, before getting the option to join (I know this doesn't prevent invasions).
Soon followed by a second invader.

I won. The bell was rung. :smug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kaldaris posted:

1) Run to Fog Gate.
2) Stand by Fog Gate.
3) Spam Orbs

If you get invaded, just walk out the fog gate. No sweat.

Yeah but that's exactly what I mean. Either I kill the invaders to buy myself a few minutes of uninterrupted murder, or I have to go through the fog gate over and over. Also if you die while invading you get booted back to the bonfire, which means I'd have to sprint through the area every time.

Just not worth the hassle.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Burger King Greatsword is not crap! :argh:

Not only is it not crap, I'd say it's one of the best. Just with the base stats to wield it it does ~380 phys and ~100 fire, making it about the same strength as most of the other greatswords, considerably stronger if you buff it with fire weapon, and it's one of the longest if not the longest, in addition to having the best (imo) greatsword moveset.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
The ruin sentinels would be my favourite boss if not for that loving spinning attack. The sad part is, is that it's a piss-easy boss as long as you use the oh-so-difficult tactic of: "Summon phantom" or "use shield".

Get rid of the spinning attack, have you fight 3 at once, and open up the arena some and it would be a better boss. Hell, I usually fall off the platform and have to fight all three anyways because I'm klutzy and it's actually fun and challenging until it turns into a spinning top orgy.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Look, you already rang the bells, in dark souls, then the prince made our little friends to protect them from the hordes of idiot undead who all thought they were also the chosen one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but that's exactly what I mean. Either I kill the invaders to buy myself a few minutes of uninterrupted murder, or I have to go through the fog gate over and over. Also if you die while invading you get booted back to the bonfire, which means I'd have to sprint through the area every time.

Just not worth the hassle.

I think what he's suggesting is that if you go into the little cubby hole in Belfry Sol that is before the fog gate, next to the Bellkeeper NPC, you should be able to spam orbs to invade in safety there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Take two: A spider crawled out my but hole and killed me.

quote:

On NG+ woe betide anybody who gets stepped on by Freja. It will probably be instantly fatal, or take off 85% of your health. One of the two.

The laser is the least threatening attack, drat.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

The ruin sentinels would be my favourite boss if not for that loving spinning attack. The sad part is, is that it's a piss-easy boss as long as you use the oh-so-difficult tactic of: "Summon phantom" or "use shield".

Get rid of the spinning attack, have you fight 3 at once, and open up the arena some and it would be a better boss. Hell, I usually fall off the platform and have to fight all three anyways because I'm klutzy and it's actually fun and challenging until it turns into a spinning top orgy.

Uh, not really? Most phantoms suck and die almost immediately, and unless you're using a greatshield they'll tear through your stamina. So long as you're not cheesing them with powerstanced maces or holy water, they're one of the harder fights in the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think what he's suggesting is that if you go into the little cubby hole in Belfry Sol that is before the fog gate, next to the Bellkeeper NPC, you should be able to spam orbs to invade in safety there.

The area from the bonfire to the door is a no summon zone, it wouldn't be surprising that you couldn't use an orb there either.

Genocyber posted:

Uh, not really? Most phantoms suck and die almost immediately, and unless you're using a greatshield they'll tear through your stamina. So long as you're not cheesing them with powerstanced maces or holy water, they're one of the harder fights in the game.

I think he's referring to the NPC phantom.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Not only is it not crap, I'd say it's one of the best. Just with the base stats to wield it it does ~380 phys and ~100 fire, making it about the same strength as most of the other greatswords, considerably stronger if you buff it with fire weapon, and it's one of the longest if not the longest, in addition to having the best (imo) greatsword moveset.

The damndest thing about the Burger King Greatsword is that it's allegedly "C" scaling is way better than it would suggest. It tops out the +10 Claymore and +10 Mastodon Greatsword, fire infused in all three cases, in raw attack rating despite the on paper stats suggesting that really shouldn't be the case.

It's weird.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Scaling has always been like that, there have been weapons with B scaling that is actually better than a lot of S scaling. It's weird, yes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

You can pass through that fog gate? I'd just assumed you wouldn't be able to go back out the way you came and the only gate you can pass through is the one at the end.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Internet Kraken posted:

You can pass through that fog gate? I'd just assumed you wouldn't be able to go back out the way you came and the only gate you can pass through is the one at the end.

Honestly if I'm invading people I just equip the Ring of Binding and jump off the ledge when I see the fog pop up. It's a lot faster. I can kill most people at 80% anyhow.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Certain weapons just have a higher modifier for their attacks. Dark Souls 1 had that with the Black Knight Halberd: it just did more damage per-hit than most other weapons, despite its "theoretical" attack rating being roughly the same.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Take three: Freja stomped her leg down and missed. This killed me. My greatsword can only hit her with a single attack. This is obnoxious when you're not a mage.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

RBA Starblade posted:

Take three: Freja stomped her leg down and missed. This killed me. My greatsword can only hit her with a single attack. This is obnoxious when you're not a mage.

Trust me this fight is obnoxious no matter who you are. :/

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Scaling has always been like that, there have been weapons with B scaling that is actually better than a lot of S scaling. It's weird, yes.

Not quite. In Dks that made sense because scaling was based off both the scaling value and the weapon's base damage (which is why the Dragonbone fist has poo poo damage despite having an S in str).

Here that's not the case; scaling seems purely determined by the scaling value and the damage bonus on the stat page (i.e. Atk: dex/str, fire bonus, etc.), and has nothing to do with the weapon's base damage.

What's really weird is how scaling seems to work differently depending on the situation. For example, with most weapons that start as pure phys and are then made elemental, the scaling is very low; at most you'll get like +40ish if you have ~50 in the respective scaling stats. This also drops the physical scaling. But then you get weapons like the Barbed Club or Blue Knight's Halberd where the physical scaling seems to behave like normal, it's just lowered.

And then you have the weapons like Blue Flame or Watcher's Greatsword. If you infuse them with Magic they get like a B scaling and a good bonus. If you infuse them with poison or bleed they actually get an S scaling, but a slightly lower scaling bonus then with Magic.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Here is how to do the Freja fight: get Freja to do the laser. Attack the other head. Back up from Freja. Freja does the laser again. Do this until Freja is dead.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Vermain posted:

Certain weapons just have a higher modifier for their attacks. Dark Souls 1 had that with the Black Knight Halberd: it just did more damage per-hit than most other weapons, despite its "theoretical" attack rating being roughly the same.

This isn't true. The BK Halberd has the same modifier as any regular halberd.

I think what was going on with it was that it actually hit twice per swing.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
I'm tired of using my mace so often on my Str character. Is the BK Halberd reasonable? I only ask because I dont wanna piss away titanite upgrading something that ultimately kind of sucks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
:byodood:SECRET SPIDER STOMPING STRATEGY:byodood:: Try Sprinting

What I mean is, Freja has a ton of really nasty attacks that can be hard to avoid when you are right up in her face. However, you can break her AI ridiculously easily. If you just run a bit away from her, she will almost always try to hit you with her laser. While firing the laser, her other head is completely vulnerable. So you can sprint past her and smack it around until she finishes barfing magic. Then you just run away from her, bait out the laser again, and repeat. Its probably the easiest way to beat her since you negate all her dangerous attacks and it works no matter what weapon you are using.

I guess you could say that is cheesing the fight, but Freja is one of the few bosses I really really hate fighting so I don't care.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Speaking of BK weapons, how about the Greataxe and Ultragreatsword? Anybody given them a whirl? I was thinking of dicking around with the axe.

Edit: Freja chat, I find that Freja can't really hit you with poo poo if you stay glued to her/his/it's side. You'll be too close for any of the leg stomps. I just killed Freja by baiting the mandible lunge and shuffling off to the side then shuffling back over to stab it in the mouth etc etc etc

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Speaking of BK weapons, how about the Greataxe and Ultragreatsword? Anybody given them a whirl? I was thinking of dicking around with the axe.

The axe has nearly a second of windup for the R1. Don't use the axe.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Schwack posted:

I'm tired of using my mace so often on my Str character. Is the BK Halberd reasonable? I only ask because I dont wanna piss away titanite upgrading something that ultimately kind of sucks.

It's one of the best halberds but it's also a Dex scaling weapon so

Greataxe has the crappier greataxe moveset (i.e. like Lion Greataxe, tho its r2s might be different? don't remember). Ultragreatsword is good; same moveset as Zweihander, but more damage I think.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

What I mean is, Freja has a ton of really nasty attacks that can be hard to avoid when you are right up in her face. However, you can break her AI ridiculously easily. If you just run a bit away from her, she will almost always try to hit you with her laser. While firing the laser, her other head is completely vulnerable. So you can sprint past her and smack it around until she finishes barfing magic. Then you just run away from her, bait out the laser again, and repeat. Its probably the easiest way to beat her since you negate all her dangerous attacks and it works no matter what weapon you are using.

I guess you could say that is cheesing the fight, but Freja is one of the few bosses I really really hate fighting so I don't care.

I've found (well my brother did, I just followed his advice) that the best way to deal with Freja is to alternate heads: whack a head a few times, once it looks like it's going to do an attack quickly run to the other head. Barring spiders up in your grill it works like a charm.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaldaris posted:

Trust me this fight is obnoxious no matter who you are. :/

I got her in one on my mage, up close and personal with soul greatsword even. Now her loving baby spiders can't be hit by the god drat greatsword I have AND the thrust has to have me right in her face to hit her. If the blade doesn't go right up to the hilt I cannot do anything. I need to do this thirty times with the black knight greatsword. The only other weapon of value I've got is the santier's spear. No attacks are of value against her with it, they bounce off or do almost nothing. I'd use my crossbow but that would take over one hundred bolts.

quote:

What I mean is, Freja has a ton of really nasty attacks that can be hard to avoid when you are right up in her face. However, you can break her AI ridiculously easily. If you just run a bit away from her, she will almost always try to hit you with her laser.

I know to sprint, the laser isn't an issue until I'm swarmed by things I physically cannot fight, somehow, then one hits me, THEN the laser kills me.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 30, 2014

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

If you keep beating the same head over and over it will fall off and that part of the spider will become invulnerable, so you'll have to go toe to toe after that. Also the head that falls off can be kicked around like a soccer ball and batted with the halberd's spinning attack (will break your weapon though).

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Smelter Demon protip: Fight him alone. He gains massive damage resistance with summons. My Raw Malformed Skull +6 did 237 damage per swing as part of a group of 3, it did 400 solo.

e: 2 blacksteel katanas still available at 635K SM

e2: Alonne Captain's Armor obtained, ridiculous pauldrons equipped. I have the chest and leggings (Ironclad) I need, now I just need a couple of weapons to complete the look. When I'm summoned, I'm the spitting image of an Imperial Fist :sun:

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 30, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

White Phosphorus posted:

If you keep beating the same head over and over it will fall off and that part of the spider will become invulnerable, so you'll have to go toe to toe after that. Also the head that falls off can be kicked around like a soccer ball and batted with the halberd's spinning attack (will break your weapon though).

You can heal Freja with some spells, making the boss impossible to win can't you?

Freja's pretty easy with the tried and true method of just sniping at her. After I fought her in my first run as a melee character and had my sword break on her stupid face, leaving me to finish the fight and Vengarl's body afterwards with an unupgraded shortbow I kinda gave up fighting her up close. Throw lightning all day every day.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Genocyber posted:

It's one of the best halberds but it's also a Dex scaling weapon so

Oh drat, I just glanced at it the other day and assumed it was Strength. Guess I'll use the greatsword then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Another tip; you do less damage if you hit him from behind than from the front.