Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Sorry to be a pain but I just noticed that while there's links to my finished stuff, my "Completed/Username/Jurnal" points haven't been updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
While I know its an artifact of the way google docs sorts equal scores, I'm just going to keep a picture of the only time this is going to happen.

Go me! Third place!
(Lying to oneself is a wonderful thing)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Oath Complete!

WIP shots for the Jurnal:
Started basing

Finished basing

Base colours done

Finished shots:

Parts List:
Undercoat
Halfords matt black spray primer

Basing
GW Dheneb Stone
GW Agrax Earthshade
Vallejo Silver Grey
Some cheap static grass
Scorched Brown rim

Basecoat
GW Chaos Black
GW Necron Abyss
GW Astronomicon Grey
GW Boltgun Metal
GW Mephiston Red
GW Orkhide Shade
GW Rhinox Hide

Washes
GW Nuln Oil
GW Baal Red

Layers
GW Regal Blue
GW Graveyard Earth
GW Warpstone Glow

Highlights
GW Blazing Orange
GW Ultramarine Blue
GW Runefang Steel

edited to add name to finished shot. I'm also claiming Season 5iver, and Double the Fun, for a total of: finished model, jurnal, parts list, season 5iver and double the fun. I think that's correct.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 27, 2014

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Iris of Ether posted:

First, if you add your username to your photos, you can get an extra point for the month. :)

Second, I don't think I can give you points for I rolled a 6! because your initial Oath didn't include the unpainted markers. (Unless I'm missing some pictures?)

Third, I'll defer to Krushgroove, but I don't think cleaning up your base would disqualify you from the Speed Painting. It's more in the gray area, though.

Ah, I forgot to take before-pics of the tokens. I'll retract that claim then, and add my name somewhere at some point.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Hey, I just noticed an error in the spreadsheet. You have the monthly Jurnal as 1 point, but the Quarterly Spreadsheet formula for determining qualifier is looking for a value of '2'. That is, you have the following formula for May:
=IF('May 2014'!O39=2,ʺYʺ,ʺNʺ)

If this is just a placeholder, then ignore me, but I figured I'd bring it up before people start grouching about not being qualified for the quarterly Jurnal prizes.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

YF19pilot posted:

Hey, I just noticed an error in the spreadsheet. You have the monthly Jurnal as 1 point, but the Quarterly Spreadsheet formula for determining qualifier is looking for a value of '2'. That is, you have the following formula for May:
=IF('May 2014'!O39=2,ʺYʺ,ʺNʺ)

If this is just a placeholder, then ignore me, but I figured I'd bring it up before people start grouching about not being qualified for the quarterly Jurnal prizes.

Yup, that's an artifact from our rule changes between Seasons 4 & 5. On the plus side, it's a rather consistent artifact, so at the moment, no one's earning credit. :v:

There will probably continue to be some artifacts until it becomes necessary for me to fix them (for judging purposes), but I can fix that one right now. Thanks for looking!

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
:siren:Oath Complete!

Bonus points I'm claiming:
Season 5iver!
Jurnal - Work In Progress pictures (see image below)
Parts list (see image below)
Double the fun!

Also Themed Group

Here's my jurnal/parts-list entry, in poster format:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Those are pretty sweet.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Completed!

Dragon Ogres:

Phoenix Guard:

I am claiming Themed Group for the Phoenix Guard

Also Season 5'iver

Parts List
I'm doing the parts list for the Dragon Ogres I did for the oath:

1 Box of Games Workshop Dragon Ogres

Primer:
White Armory Spray Primer

Base model Colors:
Citadel Etherium Blue
Citadel Lothern Blue
Citadel Mournfang Brown
Citadel Auric Armour Gold
Citadel Caledor Sky
Warpaints Bone
Warpaints White

Wash:
Citadel Nuln Oil

Highlights:
Citadel Etherium Blue (again)
Citadel Caledor Sky (again)
Citadel Lothern Blue (again)
Citadel Teclis Blue
Citadel 'ardcoat
Citadel Skrag Brown

Basing Materials:
Base was does with medium and small grit from the Gale Force 9 "Summer Pasture" Basing Kit
The rocks were just pieces of Cork I got from somewhere...
Citadel Waagh! Flesh
Citadel Dawnstone
Citadel Mephiston Red

Jurnal:

I started by spray priming the models white with the above mentioned primer:

Next I began doing base coats of the skin colors:

Followed by the armor and scales and such until everything had a layer of paint on it. I also touched stuff up at this point to account for mistakes:

I then liberally applied Nuln Oil (the wash) all over the models, trying to cover everything:

I then highlighted all of the skin, the bone, and well... most everything. I added 'Ard Coat to the scales on teh back to make them shiny.

Finally I based them with gravel, which I washed red and brushed grey, and have them standing on the rocks made from Cork and painted and brushed grey.

Finally if it counts double the fun for the dragon ogres for the Jurnal and the parks list!

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
Oath Complete!

Jurnal:

Primed:

Base Coats:

More Base Coated:

Washed:

Touched up:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Looking good, love the martian soil.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just a heads-up to everyone: we've got the final judging in and are doing some random prizes, as well as the grand prizes, for the Season 4 Oath thread! Be sure to stop in and see if you won a thing, or just to check out the swag.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
:vomarine: May oath completed! :vomarine:

A bit rushed and I managed to completely forgot about the Jurnal, but I'll list the materials used:

~Parts List~

All colours are from the Vallejo Game Colour range, unless otherwise noted.

Black panelling/armour/tyres:
  • Vallejo black surface primer
  • Model air - German grey
  • Cold grey
  • Stonewall grey
White icons/wingamajigs:
  • Sombre grey
  • Wolf grey
  • Dead white
Aquila/parchment:
  • Khaki
  • Bonewhite
  • Off-white
  • Charred brown (text/shading)
Misc colourful bits (eyes, boltgun casings, CRT monitor-dealy):
  • Dark flesh
  • Bloody red
  • Hot orange
  • Sun yellow
  • Dead white
  • Charred brown (shading)
  • Heavy blackgreen
  • Livery green
Silver metallics:
  • Citadel - chainmail
  • Model air - steel
Gold metallics:
  • Liquid gold - old gold
  • Coat d'arms - chestnut ink
Oil wash (for black and silver areas):
  • Winton oil colour - lamp black
Varnish:
  • Pledge multi-surface wax (gloss)
  • Winsor and Newton - artist's acrylic matt UV varnish
Basing:
  • Beasty brown
  • Desert yellow
  • Bonewhite
  • Vallejo - dark ochre pigment

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
May Oath Complete!

Not super happy with how they came out, but I ended up doing less than an hour of work on each miniature. They are for a intro to Mordheim game I am going to run this summer and I want to have everyone using gangs that are at least painted to table top quality so I am banging some out:

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
May Oath Complete

Not my best work, but its been a busy few months, and it doesn't look like it will let up until the fall.

Some finished proxy Flesh Hounds of Khorne:

I felt like they should have something representing their anti-pskyer collars, so I painted their forhead ridges brass. I also ran out of inspiration for basing, so I played around with trying to wet blend colors instead of something interesting.

For my jurnal, here's some pictures I took as I was working:
After spraying them red, I applied some coal to their hair:

Then I washed the hair with a black wash, and the skin with a red wash:

Finally after annoying details, I hosed around with the bases and started to try drybrushing different shades on the body to give the red some variation:

I didn't read the jurnal too carefully, so if these pictures don't qualify due to not showing at least half the models in each one, I'm okay with it. Too late to fix that now anyway.

Attempting to claim jurnal, and Season 5iver

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 29, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Hypothetical question here: if one were to try and Oath a gaming table or one of those Zuzzy battle mats, what would that fall under? Terrain?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Slimnoid posted:

Hypothetical question here: if one were to try and Oath a gaming table or one of those Zuzzy battle mats, what would that fall under? Terrain?

I think this came up in the state thread, and I think we settled on either falling under terrain...unless someone can correct me!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

While we're answering questions, is the only difference between a diorama and a display board the size? As in, diorama is a display board for 1 to a few minis, and a display board is for a whole army?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

1 x 'Skabrus' (Skaven floating dead fish ship from Dreadfleet)

Journal

Early basecoats:

Gribbly washes:

Finishing up the last few bits and pieces:

So I guess that's this months Journal and also Season 5iver? I'll save some of the achievements for later months... and er... doesn't that mean that everyone who bothers with the journal this month is also eligible for Double the fun? :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is it possible to scale back oaths? I pledged 10 dudes but I have experimented and have been unsatisfied multiple times and I'm not the fastest painter. I'm only like 30% done on them on the latest job and I'm starting to have second thoughts about the color I picked.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NTRabbit posted:

While we're answering questions, is the only difference between a diorama and a display board the size? As in, diorama is a display board for 1 to a few minis, and a display board is for a whole army?

There's no specific display board judging or competition this time - not enough interest last time, I think, but anyone can oath a piece of terrain or whatever that would be used as a display board.

The me, a display board is something you place your models on to show them off as a squad, army, team, group, whatever.

A diorama, on the other hand, is a snapshot in time, telling a story. Think of the most famous single pictures from photojournalists - the Kent University shooting, the Vietnamese soldier about to get shot, etc. Imagine those pictures as model scenes...that's what I see as a really good diorama.

signalnoise posted:

Is it possible to scale back oaths? I pledged 10 dudes but I have experimented and have been unsatisfied multiple times and I'm not the fastest painter. I'm only like 30% done on them on the latest job and I'm starting to have second thoughts about the color I picked.

Unfortunately Oaths are locked in when they're accepted, there's no scaling back... There's still plenty of time, and if you skip basing to save time you don't miss out on completing your Oath!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Hurry up and end, May, I want to do my next one :arghfist:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

krushgroove posted:

Unfortunately Oaths are locked in when they're accepted, there's no scaling back... There's still plenty of time, and if you skip basing to save time you don't miss out on completing your Oath!
Yeah fair's fair. I suppose this is an instance where the oath will make me try to salvage the color instead of starting over for the 4th time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

krushgroove posted:

There's no specific display board judging or competition this time - not enough interest last time, I think, but anyone can oath a piece of terrain or whatever that would be used as a display board.

Shame that, I had a really good idea for a large diorama. Might do it anyway, who knows.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NTRabbit posted:

Shame that, I had a really good idea for a large diorama. Might do it anyway, who knows.

Dioramas are still in, with a to-be-announced prize! So go for it!

Display boards can still be an Oath, too!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also does every mini in the diorama need to be oathed this season too?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NTRabbit posted:

Also does every mini in the diorama need to be oathed this season too?

The whole diorama is the Oath, so yeah the scenery/terrain and any models are part of the Oath.

Vermintide
Oct 26, 2013

:siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:

1x Skaven Warpfire Thrower, Ratling Gun and Warplock Jezzail, +1 Tau Kroot (one of these things is not like the other...)

Claiming:
Season 5iver
Journal
Parts List
Double the Fun

Journal!
Base colors

Washes

First Level highlights

Parts List!

Vermintide fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 30, 2014

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Oath completed!

I'm also claiming box art on Harlan, who is on the right. I painted him as he appears on his card image below.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:vomarine: May oath completed! :vomarine:

Claiming:
Season 5iver!
Parts list
Double the fun!
Box art
3 Work In Progress pictures
Infinity Model

Vallejo grey primer
Reaper MSP - Fair Skin, Sapphire Blue, Fresh Blood
Vallejo Model Color - Russian Uniform WWII, Russian Green
Apple Barrel Colors - Viking Blue
Americana - Asphaltum, Lamp Black
Ceramcoat - Black Cherry, Spice Brown, Pure White, Charcoal, Dolphin Grey
Games Workshop - Devlin Mud (wash)
Cork
Snow Flock
Fall Grass Flock
Lichen

Claiming:
3 Work In Progress pictures
Themed Group

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

How can that be a themed group when the Vikings are painted differently from their Para-Commando squad leader? :colbert:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Oath Re-complete!

I went back and forth on the boars for a while because it's hard to make them not look like loving mice - I want to see the references that the sculptor used when making those things. Anyone have any ideas for future boars? I have a lot of them.

To get it all in one post, here's my first group of models:

I can claim the journal because I took the WIP photos for the first set, right?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Oath Complete!

I am glad to be back on the Oath train, and getting back on my Mordheim stuff. This month I would like to claim

Season 5iver
Journal
Parts List
Double the Fun

Work in Progress Pictures

First attempt at Quarters

Basecoat Finished

Wash Makes Everything Better

Oath Complete (with slight hightlights in places)

Parts List (all Citadel)
Averland Sunset
Screamer Pink
XV-88
Abaddon Black
Mournfang Brown
Skrag Brown
Khorne Red
Evil Sunz Scarlet
Leadbelcher
Caledor Blue
Teclis Blue
Hashut Copper
Celestia Grey
Ratskin Flesh
Ungor Flesh

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

After much blood, sweat, and tears (all these things literal) I can finally say :siren: OATH COMPLTE :siren:

God it felt like it would never get done...

Claiming
Season 5iver
Journal

Putting the base colors on:

Partial assembly, camo on. Still need to do boots, gun, face:

Final touches to put on, goggles, wood grain, final base work:

Bonus pic because:

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
Oath Complete!

I hate to think about how badly I phoned this one in, but work is being awful and I hate these Mantic models. I also neglected to gather more than one work in progress photo, so that's put the Jurnal out of the running for this month too...

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Under 15 posted:

Oath Re-complete!

I really dig the orange and purple, man. Looking good.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

This would've gone so much smoother if I hadn't found a way to break the model in sixteen separate places, four or five of which occurred after I primed it.

Inquisitor's Jurnal: WIP Photos!

Models primed black, drybrushed grey. (Note the blurry sword-arm in the foreground with a fresh coat of superglue on it for break #3!)

Basecoated bits on corks.

Last-minute replacement! The right-hand sword broke off and flew somewhere in my living room just as I was about to do the metals on it; I replaced it with the left-hand sword from the box. Here you see the pieces just prior to assembly.

:frogsiren: BIRTHDAY PRESENT MODE :frogsiren:

Here's the Parts List (mostly so I don't forget later in the season). I also tried to go with a more restrained palette this time around. i couldn't

Primers:
Vallejo Surface Primer, black
Vallejo Surface Primer, grey

Paints:
Vallejo Model Color (VMC) German Grey
Howard Hues (HH, ugh) Panzer Grey
Privateer Press (PP) Trollblood Base
Privateer Press (PP) Frostbite
Games Workshop/Citadel (GW) Sotek Green
Vallejo Game Color (VGC) Escorpena Green
VMC Iraqi Sand
GW Snakebite Leather
GW Averland Sunset
PP Coal Black
Reaper Dusky Skin Triad (base, highlight, shadow)
VMC Mahogany
PP Menoth White Highlight
PP Rucksack Tan
Vallejo Model Air (VMA) Black Metal :black101:
VMA Steel
VMA Chrome
Army Painter Matt Black
Army Painter Matt White
Army Painter Ash Grey

Washes:
GW Badab Black
GW Leviathan Purple

Basing:
Elmer's White Glue
Woodland Scenics Soft Flake Snow
GW Scorched Static Grass

Other:
Golden Airbrush Medium
GW Lahmian Medium
Pledge Floor Finish w/ Future Shine (or whatever they're calling it now)
Liquitex Matte Varnish
Liquitex Satin Varnish
Gorilla Super Glue, applied with embarrassing frequency whenever something snapped off the model every time I looked at it sideways accidentally fumbled it

My goal with this mini was to duplicate the Box Art.

With the Jurnal, the Parts List, and the Box Art bonuses, I believe this qualifies me for Double the Fun!

Finally, Season 5iver!

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I love this time of the month :allears:

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I've just double checked the time zone stuff for this month, and it turns out that my "painting month" finishes/begins at 9pm on the 1st. I like that deadline better than last year's 10am; painting into the dawn hours and then trying to take reasonable photos in a frantic burst of masochistic procrastination probably wasn't a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fuegan posted:

I love this time of the month :allears:

Unless you're waiting for varnish to dry. :negative:

• Locked thread