Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Unzip and Attack posted:

this explanation makes so much more sense than just labeling 3/4 of the country as violence-seeking crazies.

1/3rd last I heard, which was this year. I tried to find a citation, apologies.

To me, being so scared and irrational that you need a gun on you at all times isn't much better than being someone who sits around fantasizing about justifiably shooting someone. It comes from a better place but the end result is the same. Frankly I don't give a poo poo WHY someone needs a gun, I want just want them to be responsible about it. Using it as a prop in the political fight against LIBERALS or an implicit threat to anyone who dares discuss gun control doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Personally I think that fantasizing about a good shoot is a lot worse, but they are both very bad.

I've just struggled to comprehend a lot of their stances that don't outright have a twinge of racism. Fear is what it boils down to, as far as I'm concerned.

If you point out the fear is irrational, they slink back to the fear of being a victim. Wurzelbacher sums up the fear pretty well: he is afraid he will not be able to defend his family.

There's nothing wrong with a gun for self-defense: I just think someone is hosed up in the head somehow if they need to carry one at all times.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

The gun owners mentality buys into the absolute black and white nature of the world, in that there are empirically good guys just as there are bad. Where the left and right diverge is on whether we should entrench within this worldview and tolerate it (Easier) or attempt to understand it and correct it (More difficult).

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

First, I just wanted to call everyone's attention to this little gem from a few pages ago:

a big fat idiot* posted:

He hated, he resented the rich to the point of calling his mother damnable and selfish for not marrying a wealthy guy.

What a transcendent achievement in pure, crystallized anti-sense. It needs to be framed and put in a museum for the edification of future generations.

OAquinas posted:

Don't forget the wonders of the reverse mortgage!

Incidentally, I've been seeing these sold pretty hard on the old-TV-shows channel my household watches a lot, and while the basic setup sounds to me like it screws somebody over at some point (especially when Fred Thompson starts gushing about how President Reagan signed it into law over twenty-five years ago, bless my cynical little heart), I'm sort of curious as to exactly how and how badly it screws people over--or if it even does, since my instinct could always be wrong. Is there an article or something that discusses this procedure and any wider effects it has on society and the economy? Thanks in advance for indulging me.

*note: the big fat idiot is not forums user kik2dagroin. You're good people, kik2dagroin.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The Reverse Mortgage sounds like the perfect product for a FYGM grandparent.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

SatansOnion posted:

First, I just wanted to call everyone's attention to this little gem from a few pages ago:

What a transcendent achievement in pure, crystallized anti-sense. It needs to be framed and put in a museum for the edification of future generations.

Incidentally, I've been seeing these sold pretty hard on the old-TV-shows channel my household watches a lot, and while the basic setup sounds to me like it screws somebody over at some point (especially when Fred Thompson starts gushing about how President Reagan signed it into law over twenty-five years ago, bless my cynical little heart), I'm sort of curious as to exactly how and how badly it screws people over--or if it even does, since my instinct could always be wrong. Is there an article or something that discusses this procedure and any wider effects it has on society and the economy? Thanks in advance for indulging me.

*note: the big fat idiot is not forums user kik2dagroin. You're good people, kik2dagroin.

You basically sell your house to a shady loving loan shark company who basically pays you cash for it either monthly or lump sum or whatever. Then you die and they get the house, or you die and the kids get the house and either pay off the loan or are forced to sell the house to pay off the shady loving loan shark company + interest.

Essentially it is a death tax.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The Reverse Mortgage sounds like the perfect product for a FYGM grandparent.

I'm pretty sure they're usually a scam. Telling a bunch of financial corps, "Hey, I'm dying and running out of money. Want to buy my house off me?" is not a recipe for mutual prosperity and fair terms.
As in the case of structured settlement buyout firms, people who have an asset but want it faster get fleeced pretty hard.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
Reverse mortgages, can be a better deal than trying to outright sell the house and then find some where else to live.

If anyone is getting screwed, it is the children that would have got the house as inheritance. But that depends on your opinion on inheritance, and also weighing that against banks owning even more property.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I get a morbid smirk out of imagining a parent/child combo of Fox News viewers running into a situation where they thought they were going to inherit the house their parents owned, become landowners, and then find out actually Fred Thompson and Co get it instead.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

So, I'm generally interested in seeing how regular republicans receive their messages, as the right wing media is smart enough to not say anything too despicable...

What?!?! Have you been reading this thread?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

1/3rd last I heard, which was this year. I tried to find a citation, apologies.

To me, being so scared and irrational that you need a gun on you at all times isn't much better than being someone who sits around fantasizing about justifiably shooting someone. It comes from a better place but the end result is the same. Frankly I don't give a poo poo WHY someone needs a gun, I want just want them to be responsible about it. Using it as a prop in the political fight against LIBERALS or an implicit threat to anyone who dares discuss gun control doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I dunno. I hear Chipolte can get pretty hairy sometimes.

You guys are right though, although I don't think it's any great intellectual breakthrough or significant new insight to learn and espouse that these people basically just live in fear all the time. There's always something to be afraid of and these sorts of people find it everywhere.

*poo poo. Sorry. Double post.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
This was actually an interesting conversation, because you could tell Limbaugh was walking on eggshells the entire time

quote:

RUSH: Tina, Colorado Springs, Colorado. Hi. Welcome to the program.

CALLER: Thanks for having me on, Rush. I really appreciate it.

RUSH: You're more than welcome. It's great to have you here.

CALLER: When I heard you this morning, you know, one thing that jumped right out at me was when you used the Scalia quote about gay marriage, to say that this is gonna lead to all kinds of other implied bad things, and then you linked transgenderism in, you know, getting our rights in with that. You know, that really alerted me that I wanted to talk to you.

RUSH: Now, wait. No, no, wait, I was reading from TIME Magazine.

CALLER: Oh.

RUSH: "Nearly a year after the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage, another social movement is poised to challenge deeply held cultural beliefs." It's a whole story in TIME Magazine called "The Transgender Tipping Point," and it is they who discuss the Scalia Supreme Court ruling and what he meant, and they say he was right. Now doors are wide open.

CALLER: Well, I'm really glad to hear that you are not, you know, saying that transgender rights is a bad thing that conservatives should oppose.

RUSH: Oh, no, I've been for trannies for a long time. I don't know if you've heard otherwise.

CALLER: Yeah. Well, actually I did hear you using that term, and a lot of us do find that to be rather offensive, because of the way it's been historically used.

RUSH: Oh, I didn't know that. Tranny is offensive?

CALLER: Yeah. It's kind of an argument, and RuPaul has taken a position.

RUSH: I heard Alec Baldwin use the term, you know, when he was in trouble because he has made a lot of homophobic comments.

CALLER: Right. Yeah.

RUSH: He wrote this big apologia that ran in one of the New York area publications. He used the term "tranny" as though it were hip and an inside baseball term that made him cool with the transgender community.

CALLER: Yeah. You know that is kind of the minority viewpoint on it, is that we're reclaiming that word like black people use the N-word.

RUSH: Okay, so you --

CALLER: But a lot of us are genuinely fighting for our rights. We hear "tranny" as a joke on Two and a Half Men, and we hear "tranny" as a joke, as a derisive term all over the place.

RUSH: Oh.

CALLER: And so we don't really appreciate it. We would rather be called trans or transpeople or transmen or transwomen for sure.

RUSH: All right. I didn't know. I thought it was cool and hip. You're telling me it's like the N-word, except do you all use it amongst yourselves?

CALLER: In certain context. Like I will use it when I'm talking about the way somebody else sees me.

RUSH: Yeah.

CALLER: I'll say something like, "They don't want a tranny working there."

RUSH: Well, how do people know you're a tranny?

CALLER: Well, a lot of them don't, and that certainly leads to part of the problem. You know, people have this fear that they're gonna get attracted to somebody who turns out to be a tranny. And one of the things about being transgender is that whatever somebody's sexual preference is, you're not it. You know, gay men don't want anything to do with effeminate types. And straight men don't want to have anything to do with people that have got, you know, the wrong plumbing or wrong history. And, you know, lesbian women are interested in certain things that are just never gonna be the same no matter how much surgery you have.

RUSH: Yeah.

CALLER: So that definitely is a problem. People often think that I'm going around trying to trick people, and so I will often, if I'm going to a bar --

RUSH: Well, okay, so you're a transgender. How would you trick somebody? What are they afraid of?

CALLER: They're afraid -- well, you know, again, from their perspective they're afraid that I'm gonna present as a real woman and trick them into having sex. I mean, that's what you see on Jerry Springer three times a week.

RUSH: Okay, but at some point, even if you do trick 'em, they're gonna find out that they've been tricked and it's not gonna work, right? I mean, if they think you're a guy, but you're not, at some point they're gonna find out if they try to have sex?

CALLER: Well, a lot of times people have oral sex or anal sex in the dark, and that's the kind of thing that you --

RUSH: Oh, that's right, I didn't even think of that!

CALLER: Yeah.

RUSH: I didn't even think of that. You're right, because everybody has a... yeah. Oh, gee.

CALLER: You know, there is a scene, there's this cartoon show about a family that has a dog that plays a person. And the dog who plays a person accidentally had sex with somebody that he didn't know was a postoperative transsexual, and when the dog finds out, the dog barfs for an entire 30 seconds of the cartoon.

RUSH: Is that Family Guy?

CALLER: Yes.

RUSH: Yeah. Well, I can see where that would be insulting.

CALLER: (sigh)

RUSH: I can see where that would really, really upset you.

CALLER: And so we're operating in that kind of environment. Right now I'm living in a weekly rate motel because nobody will rent me an apartment. Nobody will have me in a roommate situation.

RUSH: Well, wait a minute. They have to know, then.

CALLER: Well, don't you know from my voice?

RUSH: Well, no. You're not gonna trick me on that. No.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: What a gorgeous mosaic our audience is. What a gorgeous mosaic, cross section of America the audience of this program is. It is a beautiful thing.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Yeah, I forgot to ask. I made a note to ask. We had a transgender caller on the program, the last caller in the previous half hour, named Tina, and Tina had misunderstood something I said. She thought I was speaking, when I was reading something from TIME Magazine. So Tina was a little irritated and wanted to explain things to me. And I ended up saying, "No, no, no, no. I have great respect, appreciation for trannies." She told me that that's not cool, that that word is kind of like the N-word, that only transgenders can use it, and they don't do it very much.

I made a note to ask her a question 'cause she was still talking and I covered the note up with a piece of paper. It's a salient question. "How do you react when you hear people talk about trans fats?" But I never got a chance to ask. So hopefully I will have an opportunity to ask that and clarify whether or not that's offensive. 'Cause we don't want to use it if it is.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/05/29/transgender_says_tranny_is_offensive
What a great question, I'm sure a few of our forum members can field that one for us :rolleyes: Kind of fitting that the caller laid out a few circumstances about how hard it can be for a transsexual to exist in day-to-day life and all Limbaugh could think about was food.

quote:

RUSH: Here's the Dick Cheney answer to the question: "We outed a CIA operative in Afghanistan, a VA scandal that is breathtaking in terms of how inappropriate it is for our vets. And we also have America, is it in decline in terms of perception around the world?"

CHENEY: I think the perception around the world is increasingly negative, but I think the main focus is on our president. He's a very, very weak president, maybe the weakest, certainly in my lifetime.
And I know from my own experience on a recent trip through the Middle East spending several days talking with folks I've dealt with all the way back to Desert Storm, they all are absolutely convinced that the American capacity to lead and to influence events in that part of the world has been dramatically reduced by this president.

RUSH: Right. I would like to add, this is not accidental, folks. This is not due, as some would want you to believe, even on our side, to incompetence and not being prepared for the job. I mean, clearly there's some of that. But this is not coincidental or accidental or just happening. If you have the courage to properly identify the president's view of this country and then put him in the Oval Office with free rein to do whatever he wants to do, if he believes this country is whatever term you want to use, paper tiger, unjust, immoral, whatever, if he thinks this country needs to be taught a lesson or two, then he's gonna see to it that that happens.

All these people around the world see somebody they think is indecisive. The American capacity to lead, to influence events, say in the Middle East or anywhere else, has been dramatically reduced by this president. Exactly, on purpose. He doesn't think that we have any legitimacy. Who are we? When he was once asked, many times, actually, about American exceptionalism (imitating Obama), "Well, of course I believe in American exceptionalism. But I'm sure the people in the UK think that they're exceptional, and I think the people in France think they're exceptional, too."

This is the way he swats it away as being meaningless. Well, everybody thinks they're cool, but there's nothing special about us. I think he probably actively believes, who are we to tell anybody in the world what to do? And you might be of the same mind-set in a way. I mean, look at the reaction we got to the #BringBackOurGirls hashtag. A lot of people called here, "It's none of our business.
What the hell, Rush, what are we supposed to do, send troops everywhere?" No. But you see, it boils down to leadership, precisely because of our exceptionalism, precisely because we, the United States, are the exception in humanity. We have, thus, been thrust into a role of leadership, where liberty and freedom are concerned. And fighting for it everywhere also buttresses it here.

We never have been isolationist. It has always been a tenet. I mean, this really is the first -- maybe Woodrow Wilson would be the first. But in our lifetimes, this really is the first president who thinks that that's all hogwash, freedom and liberty. It's not our job. It has no effect on our freedom, what's happening elsewhere in the world, and who are we? Who are we? In Obama's worldview -- and not just his, but a lot of leftists -- we're dictators ourselves.

I can't tell you number of times I've heard leftists and Democrats criticize this country for imposing freedom on other people, imposing our way of life. Who are we to impose our way of life? See, I've never thought freedom is an imposition. I've always thought of freedom as liberation. I've always thought that the United States proudly occupied the leadership role of freedom and liberty throughout the world, stood for it, defended it. And, in fact, why do you think the rest of the world wants to live here? Well, now it might be our welfare state, but back in the old days that wasn't part of the equation; it was liberty and freedom. It was opportunity. It was to escape tyranny, bondage, whatever authoritarian circumstances people faced.

They wanted to come here, and they wanted to become Americans. They were proud to come here and learn English and become Americans. They wanted to be part of what was happening here. And when they did, they were very proud. That assimilation is something that's long since ceased to occur throughout much of immigration. It's not totally abandoned, but particularly with illegal immigration, assimilation is not even a factor. It's not even something we require anymore.

But the president, the rest of the world looks, he's content to let people, whatever they want to do, wherever. It's not our job. We don't have the moral authority to tell anybody what to do, what not to do. That's his view. We just don't have that. We've never deserved it. We never earned it. The fact that we were pretending to be more moral and superior to all these countries around the world, we never had that right. That's the Obama Doctrine. We are weak, perceived weak because we simply are not an ally anymore, when you get down to brass tacks.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/05/29/dick_cheney_s_charitable_analysis_of_obama

The Obama Doctrine you say? :bahgawd:

quote:

RUSH: Remember the other day we played audio sound bites of President Obama's commencement speech to the cadets at West Point. (interruption) Was that yesterday? It seems like -- was that just yesterday? (interruption) Are you kidding me? Man. It does seem like it's longer than a day ago. Anyway, do you know that only 25% of the cadets stood or applauded or something when he entered the room or when he left? I forget which. It's a really low number. Either way, it's a hopeful sign.

But what's funny, you know, we spent a lot of time playing sound bites and trying to parse and analyze it for you, and I think I did a pretty good job. I think I got a pretty good handle on Obama's view of this country. I think I've got a pretty good understanding of what would be called the Obama Doctrine. You can sum it up in two words, but I would like to get more nuanced than that. The Obama Doctrine basically is that America has been a false superpower, an illegitimate one, not a real one. We acquired our superpower status in less than honest ways, and now the world sees us for who we really are, and we must now demonstrate to the world that we are no longer that cowboy country just running roughshod over everybody, sending our military anywhere we want 'em to go.

Now, I could get even more nuanced and detailed than even that, but the sum total of the Obama Doctrine is that there's nothing exceptional about this place and what everybody thought was exceptional about it was misguided because this country just has too much baggage to ever be considered exceptional. And we need to apologize and acknowledge that we're aware of that now to the rest of the world so that we will be seen with more friendly eyes.
I gotta be careful here in explaining it. The reason why I'm tiptoeing... I mean, I could say this (whew) and leave no doubt, but I'm gonna tiptoe around it. I'm gonna get there. I won't say it but I'm gonna get there. (interruption) What? What were you gonna...? (interruption) Of course it's weakness! Yeah, obviously.

Cheney, we've got the sound bite coming. He was on Hannity last night and said, "This is the weakest president in my lifetime." Yeah, no doubt. Why? You gotta keep drilling down. Yeah, okay, he's the weakest in foreign policy. Is it because he's unqualified? Yeah. Is it because he thinks America deserves...? (interruption)

He does. He has a chip on his shoulder about this country. It's how he was raised; it's how he was educated. Look, when a guy writes in his own book that his first job out of college in a law firm he thinks he's in enemy territory because he's at a capitalist organization, it should tell you something.

When a guy tells you he wants single-payer, socialized health care, it should tell you something. When the guy assumes office (and even before assumes office) apologies for America in several foreign policy speeches, it should tell you something -- and to me, it said a lot. The Obama Doctrine is resulting from and is based on the fact that he's got a chip on his shoulder about this country, from the moment it was founded.

In his mind -- and you've heard me say this before -- it was unjust, it was immoral, it codified "the supremacy of whites" and the rich and the elites at the expense of minorities, people of color, and the poor. It was a rigged game from the outset, a system designed to keep the elites elites and the rich rich and everybody else with nothing.
It was a country that grew and expanded and became powerful by virtue of its illegitimacy.

It grew and expanded not by virtue of liberating the oppressed around the world, but rather going around the world and stealing the resources from other parts of the world and bringing them home and using them as our own. "So of course we could become a superpower if we were gonna be thieves!" They never use those words, but this is what he believes. This country's superpower status was never truly, honestly deserved.

We were a superpower, but we didn't deserve to be, because we never or we frequently... What would he say today? We frequently "abandoned our values," and we forgot our roots, and we behaved in manners of our enemies. So now this country has to be brought back down to size. Because, you see, to the modern American left, "America the superpower" was not real.

If it was illegitimate, it wasn't deserved. So it's not real.

It's just like they say that the 20 years of economic expansion started during the Reagan years, "That was a quirk of fate. It wasn't real. The real America is all of the misery and inequality and discrimination that existed before that and has now returned. This is the real America. This is the new normal. This is what it is. America's glory days of the past were simply not real because they derive from illegitimacy and immorality, and, as such, we didn't really deserve it."

So the Obama Doctrine is America needs to be cut down to size.

The Obama Doctrine is America is not anything exceptional.

America is no better, America is no different than anywhere else in the world -- and it's a mistake to think that we're better people. That's what he thinks people are saying when they talk about American exceptionalism. I'm convinced I've heard him talking about it I don't know how, 10 or 20 times, and I am convinced he doesn't have the slightest idea what the term really means.

Like most people he has a knee-jerk reaction to it. He hears American exceptionalism and he thinks, "People are saying, 'We're better people,' and we're not! See, we had slavery. We were racists and we were bigots and we discriminated. No way we're better than anybody else! We've got a long way to go, in fact, to be better than anybody else. We've got a lot to make up for.

"We have to pay a steep price before we can even get back to the discussion of whether or not we're worthy," because that's what it boils down to. "We really aren't worthy. We didn't deserve all the greatness that happened here, 'cause it didn't happen for everybody. It happened during teeming inequality. It happened during gross discrimination.

"It happened when there was just blatant unfairness everywhere. So there's no way this country could ever be considered exceptional," and he doesn't even know what it means. I'll tell you what it means one more time, at least in my view. The story of humanity on Planet Earth since the beginning of time has been tyranny and bondage. Most people who have lived did not have very much freedom or liberty.

They did not have the right to own property, and they certainly didn't have a whole lot of economic opportunity. The vast majority of people who have lived on this planet have had really hard lives. They lived under tyranny, authoritarianism, dictatorship, you name it.
There never was a nation before the United States which founded itself and organized itself on the belief that the citizen was the center of the universe.

The free, liberated citizen was the engine. Every other nation on earth that had been formed or every other population (even if it was not a nation with borders, just any population group) was always dominated by brutal, tyrannical, dictatorial leaders who led by intimidation, punishment, brutality. The United States came along and was the exception to all of that.

The United States comes along and is founded under the premise that we are all created by God and we're all created equal and we are all created yearning for freedom, that that is the natural existence of the human spirit. It had never happened before. The Constitution of this country was written for the first time in human history to limit the power of its leaders, to limit the power of its government. It had never happened before.

Maybe Magna Carta got the start, but in terms of organizing a nation for the purposes of existing as a nation state, never had anything like this happened before. That's what's so remarkable and miraculous! That's the exception. American exceptionalism is about the exception to the rule or the exception to the norm.

Not that we're better people, not that we have better DNA, not that we're smarter. We've had more freedom. We've had more liberty. We've had the ability to live our lives according to our desires, not according to the limits placed on us by other human beings. He doesn't understand that.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/05/29/the_drive_by_media_can_t_define_the_obama_doctrine_but_we_can
God, not the American Exceptionalism debate again :suicide:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

kik2dagroin posted:

This was actually an interesting conversation, because you could tell Limbaugh was walking on eggshells the entire time

I didn't think Rush was for transsexuals, I thought he was more of a ladyboy aficionado, judging by those Dominican trips.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AsInHowe posted:

I didn't think Rush was for transsexuals, I thought he was more of a ladyboy aficionado, judging by those Dominican trips.

Good joke

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
On the issue of carrying weapons in public; let me put to rest any misconceptions anyone might have. A whole lot of these gun advocates really, honestly do want everyone to have a gun and want everyone to walk around in public with their guns all of the time. To them, anything less is a violation of the Constitution.

quote:

Two weeks ago the Arlington City Council made it far more difficult for pedestrians to hand out literature to motorists passing through busy intersections — and by pedestrians, the council was more or less referring to members of Open Carry Tarrant County handing out pamphlets and pocket-sized copies of the U.S. Constitution. At least that’s what the Open Carry-ers maintained, which is why that vote came with the promise of litigation. This morning, Open Carry Tarrant County delivered.

The gun-toting activists, led by Kory Watkins, just sued Arlington in Fort Worth federal court, claiming the ordinance redo is infringing upon its First Amendment rights to talk about the Second Amendment to passers-by (usually, while heavily armed).

“Open Carry Tarrant County conducts multiple walks a week throughout Tarrant County, particularly on weekends when they can interact with large numbers of people and exercise their First Amendment right to share the United States Constitution,” says the complaint below. “However, they have been told and reasonably fear citation and arrest because they have been told that they will be cited and arrested for these activities by police and city council members. This has caused a chilling effect on members of Open Carry’s willingness to participate as they had in the past, as no one wants to be harassed and threatened with time in jail for doing nothing more than handing out the United States Constitution to those who have stated that they wish to receive it.”

A bit of background. The intersections where they are handing out their constitutions just happen to be near the stadiums where the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Cowboys play and near the City of Arlington's biggest tourist/vacation destinations. This naturally has caused the owners of these establishments to freak out and demand that Arlington do something to prevent armed men standing in front of their businesses. Go figure.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 30, 2014

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Hearing Cheney decry an administration outing a CIA agent will never get old.

JDee
Nov 27, 2006
goon
Duck Dynasty Dad on Sean Hannity next! Should be ducktastic.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

radical meme posted:

On the issue of carrying weapons in public; let me put to rest any misconceptions anyone might have. A whole lot of these gun advocates really, honestly do want everyone to have a gun and want everyone to walk around in public with their guns all of the time. To them, anything less is a violation of the Constitution.

A bit of background. The intersections where they are handing out their constitutions just happen to be near the stadiums where the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Cowboys play and near the City of Arlington's biggest tourist/vacation destinations. This naturally has caused the owners of these establishments to freak out and demand that Arlington do something to prevent armed men standing in front of their businesses. Go figure.

Is this another one of those "universal firearms until we realize that means black people get them too" situations or are they ok with that?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Is this another one of those "universal firearms until we realize that means black people get them too" situations or are they ok with that?

As long as they're the Good Ones.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Hahahah yeah I wish. Nah they love poor blacks getting armed to the teeth because it means less poor blacks. It also means fewer poor whites. Poor people get into fights over poo poo and shoot each other.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

The article I posted has two embedded YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLJumSVnEDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAdv0uP2OXE

I watched both. I might be wrong, but I didn't see anyone that couldn't be described as white; maybe one or more hispanics. The second video above is priceless. It shows just how much respect (not) these people actually have for the law. Only the second is from Arlington. The other is from a suburb of Fort Worth.

The ordinance that Arlington is enforcing only prohibits pedestrians from handing out literature to motorists and only applies to "busy streets", high traffic intersections. It has nothing to do with these man children carrying their guns in public but, that's the way these groups want to frame the debate. Of course, the "busy streets" includes intersections that surround Arlington's tourist/vacation attractions, such as the Ranger's and Cowboy's stadiums plus Six Flags over Texas and a huge water park near the stadiums. These businesses are pissed because it's not good PR to have armed mobs on the street corners near their business when their entire marketing is directed at families bringing their children to events. Arlington is likewise pissed because the revenue derived from these businesses is vital.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 30, 2014

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The Daily Beast is currently running a story on David Ramsey's nearly Stalinistic paranoia towards criticism of him or his company by ex-employees. This actually comes off as sort of shocking, since he always seemed like one of the good ones to me. Sure, he had an obnoxious bootstraps-ridden economic philosophy, but he at least voiced his opposition in manner other than screaming into the microphone and calling his enemies Bad Americans.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ProperGanderPusher posted:

The Daily Beast is currently running a story on David Ramsey's nearly Stalinistic paranoia towards criticism of him or his company by ex-employees. This actually comes off as sort of shocking, since he always seemed like one of the good ones to me. Sure, he had an obnoxious bootstraps-ridden economic philosophy, but he at least voiced his opposition in manner other than screaming into the microphone and calling his enemies Bad Americans.

Why are all these televangelists the same? For forty years it's been the same story over and over, but people just want for what they're selling to be the answer so badly.

But seriously, any religious person that is trying to sell you something should probably set off an alarm.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

quote:

But you see, it boils down to leadership, precisely because of our exceptionalism, precisely because we, the United States, are the exception in humanity.
gently caress, that's creepy.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

2. "The killer used a knife and a car, should we ban all knives and cars too?"
I see this all the time since the Sandy Hook shooting and it's just the dumbest loving thing. Cars and knives weren't invented specifically to kill people as quickly and efficiently as possible.

kik2dagroin posted:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2011/06/07/see_i_told_you_so_smart_people
Holy gently caress, that last bolded sentence is literally why he is a loving millionaire.
I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. He just sits and screams "IT NEVER HAPPENED" (even though it literally, objectively did) while obviously never clarifying further. I wonder if there's actually something specific about the facts that the caller got wrong, or if he's somehow deluded himself into thinking it never happened.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What is an engine but a series of controlled explosions? Makes you think...

:iiaca:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Hazo posted:

gently caress, that's creepy.
I see this all the time since the Sandy Hook shooting and it's just the dumbest loving thing. Cars and knives weren't invented specifically to kill people as quickly and efficiently as possible.
I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. He just sits and screams "IT NEVER HAPPENED" (even though it literally, objectively did) while obviously never clarifying further. I wonder if there's actually something specific about the facts that the caller got wrong, or if he's somehow deluded himself into thinking it never happened.

Yeah - If we could equate them, native peoples around the world would have fought off all the colonials centuries back, and I could drive my gun to work.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

For those who are curious about how libertarians have embraced Harry Potter, check out this academic paper about Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. In it, author Benjamin H. Barton speculates that Rowling's experiences with public assistance soured her on government bureaucracy and claims that "Rowling’s story smacks of success through self-reliance and sheer force of will. The Harry Potter novels likewise show a strong strain of self-reliance and stubborn independence, and Rowling came upon these themes the hard way. Anyone who has pulled herself out of poverty as Rowling has is likely to believe that self-reliance and hard-work are the keys to success, and to be conversely wary of government intervention" (1536-1537).

On its own, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is about an enormous rear end in a top hat whose bitter sense of self-reliance and stubborn independence leads him to join an even bigger genocidal rear end in a top hat. This culminates in the both of them toppling the somewhat corrupt but still functional public institutions currently in place, which leads to the installation of a tyrannical regime that terrorizes the populace.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

beatlegs posted:

That's why you of all people should know better than to do a loving "comedy" skit whose only motivation was to mock and misleadingly de-legitimize an effort to educate people about what rape actually is, you confused, screwed up fool.

Watch the video to see a weeping Beck reveal what is probably just the tip of the iceberg of a massive amount of dysfunction coarsing through his personal life. Jesus.

Conservatives: Analyzing other people's problems and making it all about white men.

"Rape controversy. It's all about meeeeeeeee! Bloo bloo bloo." :cry:

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
why are those stats even something that needs to be "debunked." Jesus Christ, Beck, there are children starving in this country. Maybe you could get on that if you're so concerned with "social justice."

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

ShadowCatboy posted:

Conservatives: Analyzing other people's problems and making it all about white men.

"Rape controversy. It's all about meeeeeeeee! Bloo bloo bloo." :cry:

Well, apparently after the controversy over his rape skit, Glenn Beck is saying his father was apparently repeatedly raped by men at the YMCA when he ran away from home. Also by a preacher and by a man who caught him stealing his golf balls.

The answer to that is it's still not any excuse for Beck to spread falsehoods and stereotypes about rape, regardless of his or his father's personal experiences with it. If the trauma of rape has affected him, then he should have been more sensitive and aware of it, rather than the tone deafness on display in his skit.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 30, 2014

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Well, apparently after the controversy over his rape skit, Glenn Beck is saying his father was apparently repeatedly raped by men at the YMCA when he ran away from home. Also by a preacher and by a man who caught him stealing his golf balls.

The answer to that is it's still not any excuse for Beck to spread falsehoods and stereotypes about rape, regardless of his or his father's personal experiences with it. If the trauma of rape has affected him, then he should have been more sensitive and aware of it, rather than the tone deafness on display in his skit.

Man everybody wanted to rape Glenn Beck's dad.

But personally I don't believe it. Glenn Beck says whatever either to make money or to get out of trouble for the things he said while trying to make money. Nothing about Glenn Beck is real.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 30, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Spacedad posted:

Yeah but what was he wearing

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So I was eating out for lunch and the restaurant had Fox News on. They were (after of course complaining about Benghazi) crowing about how Blomberg really showed those liberals with his Harvard graduation speech.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/05/29/bloomberg-to-harvard-students-campus-liberals-have-become-ideological-censors/

He's complaining about how the left is too close minded and the Fox talking heads transitioned this into how conservatives can't even BE on campus and that they are hugely discriminated against. This alone is laughably insulting to real victims of discrimination but they went one step further and concluded that the reason millennial face the issues they do today is because they are too close minded and shut out the glorious conservative ideals that would certainly be better for them. It really made my already crummy lunch taste worse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://gamepolitics.com/2014/05/30/glen-beck-criticizes-watch-dogs#.U4jeufldV-M
Glenn Beck thinks that video games cause evil poo poo, and watch-dogs teaches you to hack.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pengun101 posted:

Glenn Beck thinks that video games cause evil poo poo, and watch-dogs teaches you to hack.
This makes more sense when you realize that his audience is literally made up of people in their 70s.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I reaaaaaaally wonder about Beck's audience these days since you have to buy in. I don't suppose there's going to be any reliable info on it either since it's all in house.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
You could probably show reports about polar melting being caused by increased use of the antarctic hollow earth tunnels by nazi ufos and Beck's audience would nod along.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

pengun101 posted:

watch-dogs teaches you to hack
The Internet is a series of tubes

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

pengun101 posted:

Is he implying that Hackers didn't already do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Sir Tonk posted:

Is he implying that Hackers didn't already do this?

Everything I needed to know about identity theft, hacking, and online pizza delivery I learned from The Net.