Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Paul O's wife in studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6320hTpLh4

Her voice is in my nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Does anyone remember the date, or even year where they spent at least an hour bashing Dr. Steve's 'lovely' wine? I think it was even on Dr. Steve's birthday.

Edit: Nevermind. Found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzDgiyoNf7A

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

onemillionzombies posted:

Paul O's wife in studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6320hTpLh4

Her voice is in my nightmares.

Gail O was a loving maniac. I love how Ron kept baiting her with questions about "little Regis".

Paul O is one of my favorite people ever. He's such a weirdo, but seems strangely self-aware at the same time.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
he's not though, because: the entire "GAP" saga.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Dave's last day/The Midnight Rider's first day is a pretty great 2 day R&F saga.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

TheRationalRedditor posted:

he's not though, because: the entire "GAP" saga.

Yeah but even then he later acknowledged that he was purposefully playing (or at least aware that he was playing) the whipping boy role during the Louis CK smack down. There's a huge difference between Paul O and your Bobos and Lady Dis is all I was getting at, which makes him so interesting and entertaining to listen to.

edit: The Iris saga is great listening, for the person who was after long Ron & Fez clips. I literally had to turn the volume down to zero during Iris' conversation with the Chinese-American author, it was that cringey. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXLxzjFhY8ch07AvT_WgZyHeHTCznbZ1P

ozza fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 22, 2014

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

Here's another great Paul O clip where the buddays make fun of his new kickstarter campaign for the highly-anticipated follow up to "Gap": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFt0PIOkhMw

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Louis CK reviewing GAP is one of the best things done on the show.

"Well Kubrick lit it..."
"How dare you."

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin

Untagged posted:

http://youtu.be/UvmkZebefbQ

World Star! I admit it, I lol'd.

Holy poo poo this made me laugh. It is so stupid but so perfectly done.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Neodoomium posted:

Louis CK reviewing GAP is one of the best things done on the show.

"Well Kubrick lit it..."
"How dare you."

That show ruled, Louis was so disgusted with Paul O.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

ozza posted:

Yeah but even then he later acknowledged that he was purposefully playing (or at least aware that he was playing) the whipping boy role during the Louis CK smack down. There's a huge difference between Paul O and your Bobos and Lady Dis is all I was getting at, which makes him so interesting and entertaining to listen to.
Yeah, just like Tommy Wiseau says he made 'The Room' the comedic masterpiece it is on purpose. Absolutely not

I never said he was as stupid as Bobo, yet that doesn't imply his capacity for self-awareness automatically exists :cmon:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Much like Bobo, Paul-O has absolutely no sense of shame.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

TwistedNails posted:

That show ruled, Louis was so disgusted with Paul O.

That show had one of my favorite Louis CK quotes ever:

Paul O: "If you came in out of the rain into a theater and saw this movie..."

Louie: "...If it was raining AIDS I'd go back out and open my mouth, and look up at it like a turkey and drown in AIDS rain."

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
No matter how many times I hear it, I always cringe when grown man Paul-O ekes out "It's a quasi-pseudo film!" :smithicide:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
This randomly popped up into my head so I thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQB4LN69eYE

:sax:

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin

Rhesus Pieces posted:

That show had one of my favorite Louis CK quotes ever:

Paul O: "If you came in out of the rain into a theater and saw this movie..."

Louie: "...If it was raining AIDS I'd go back out and open my mouth, and look up at it like a turkey and drown in AIDS rain."

This is hilarious. Even when I'm reading Louis CK's words it sounds like he's saying them in my head.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

loving with Krock callers might be my most favorite old clip. "George 92?" "Yes, George 92."

and when Louie finally breaks and starts openly laughing at them

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I watched some of Norton's Epix special last night and I still can't get into his act. I think it's his weird :haw: face after particularly good lines.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Neodoomium posted:

I watched some of Norton's Epix special last night and I still can't get into his act. I think it's his weird :haw: face after particularly good lines.
That face drives me nuts. I'd really like to know who told him that was a good idea, because he never used to do it.

Looking forward to hearing Greg from The Room on today. It's shame they spent less than 5 minutes discussing that movie a few months ago.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Yeah, Jims stand up never really clicks with me either for some reason.

I think it's because he is at his best when he is being "silly" and commenting on stuff and that is impossible to do on stage. His act is just sex stuff and airline-peanut-style social observation stuff.

He can't just start doing Chip on stage is the problem.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I also got this weird "Leno Monologue" sort of vibe from it like "Did ya hear about this, folks?!" sort of headline news stuff.

1st1sHere
Nov 4, 2011
The Halls Intro: http://instagram.com/p/n5qeKbAUBV

Episode 1 : http://instagram.com/p/oleeEUgUBS

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Neodoomium posted:

I also got this weird "Leno Monologue" sort of vibe from it like "Did ya hear about this, folks?!" sort of headline news stuff.
So what you're saying is Jimmy's standup is like a Yahoo! News break?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

spudsbuckley posted:

He should seriously do a tour as Chip Chipperson. Maybe open with Sick Fuckem Puppies.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
[quote="spudsbuckley" post="430299370
[/quote]

He's done it before, but had to stop midway and acknowledge that half the room has no idea what he's doing. I think that if he introduced the character as "That guy in your circle of friends that always has to be 'on'" it would work though.

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

Ron wasn't kidding about Nurys.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

I agree about Norton's stand up. His act (in the specials at least, I've never seen him live) seems way too over-polished, and I can't stand his constant mugging to the audience. I can't remember which comedian it was, but someone once explained about the need for comedians to stay "within the energy of the bit". So if you're acting outraged and mad, don't break the illusion by grinning after you get a laugh. Norton never does this and it annoys the poo poo out of me.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Let me be the one to say it. Jimmy Norton was and always will be a mediocre stand up at best. Without the radio show he'd be like most of the comedians who come in every now and then, or worse. His entire career was lifted from doing the radio show, and he knows it.

He owes so much to the radio show and he does his best doing that kind of work, if he never got the gig at O and A he'd be happy getting 100 or so audience comedy shows in bum gently caress, USA making enough to support himself in a very moderate way.

He was never one of the great stand up comedians and never will be, the radio show in the end is what he will be known for and it's easy to say that.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Let me be the one to say it, Jim Norton is a great standup and one of the reasons I got into O&A.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

T Bowl posted:

Let me be the one to say it. Jimmy Norton was and always will be a mediocre stand up at best. Without the radio show he'd be like most of the comedians who come in every now and then, or worse. His entire career was lifted from doing the radio show, and he knows it.

He owes so much to the radio show and he does his best doing that kind of work, if he never got the gig at O and A he'd be happy getting 100 or so audience comedy shows in bum gently caress, USA making enough to support himself in a very moderate way.

He was never one of the great stand up comedians and never will be, the radio show in the end is what he will be known for and it's easy to say that.

drat dude that's pretty harsh

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
I agree Norton got a big boost from his exposures, but he would still be making a living doing comedy. Let's not discount the network of comedians he's been in for almost two decades. His apartment wouldn't be as nice without O&A, but he'd be fine.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cory Lidle posted:

I agree Norton got a big boost from his exposures, but he would still be making a living doing comedy. Let's not discount the network of comedians he's been in for almost two decades. His apartment wouldn't be as nice without O&A, but he'd be fine.

He'd probably still be opening for Dice if he never did O&A.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
While I've never liked his stand-up particularly, on the radio he's a proverbial shower of comedic gold.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
And off the radio he's showering in proverbial gold, so it all works out

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

T Bowl posted:

Yeah and he could be posting projective, bitter shade for no reason on an anonymous internet forum with all that time sunk into his career. What a maroon! :cmon:

I don't care for Jimmy's standup at all (but 'American Degenerate' was a very large leap in quality for him however), but he's a seriously funny dude when he's on a roll. Trying to paint him as some kind failure because he's not one of "the great stand up comedians" is patently absurd. How big is that "great stand up" list of yours, exactly? Implying that everybody who isn't at the absolute top of their field in a career that takes a lot of guts and heart should pack up shop and hang their head in shame? Total nonsense.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Cory Lidle posted:

I never said he wouldn't make a living off stand up, reread what I said. I said he would be on the same level as the comedians who come in regularly like Rich Vos or Bob Kelly... good enough to live off of sure.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Yeah and he could be posting projective, bitter shade for no reason on an anonymous internet forum with all that time sunk into his career. What a maroon! :cmon:

I don't care for Jimmy's standup at all (but 'American Degenerate' was a very large leap in quality for him however), but he's a seriously funny dude when he's on a roll. Trying to paint him as some kind failure because he's not one of "the great stand up comedians" is patently absurd. How big is that "great stand up" list of yours, exactly? Implying that everybody who isn't at the absolute top of their field in a career that takes a lot of guts and heart should pack up shop and hang their head in shame? Total nonsense.

It's just an opinion buddy, no need to get your panties in a knot.

I can name at least 30 comedians I prefer over him, many not on the 'great stand up' list you speak of, but I won't waste my time on an anonymous internet forum.

And again, you are putting words in what I typed. I never said he should 'hang it up' I just said I think he's a mediocre comedian who's success more lies in the fact that he landed a sweet radio gig vs his own talent as a stand up. cry more.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 30, 2014

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

T Bowl posted:

cry more.

Really was that necessary?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

TwistedNails posted:

Really was that necessary?

Just channeling my favorite radio show hosts... oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

T Bowl posted:

I can name at least 30 comedians I prefer over him, many not on the 'great stand up' list you speak of, but I won't waste my time on an anonymous internet forum.

And again, you are putting words in what I typed. I never said he should 'hang it up' I just said I think he's a mediocre comedian who's success more lies in the fact that he landed a sweet radio gig vs his own talent as a stand up. cry more.
Ahaha, backpedal on that stern (hoo hoo) conviction, now. That would suddenly be wasting your time, not those initial unprompted paragraphs of bile.

After all, no stand up comedian has ever had to take a dreaded side gig to both make ends meet and further their potential career reach. Nope, if you didn't get there by sheer force of talent and no other job exposure, by gum, you're not for real. I wonder how many of these vaunted t-bowl certified 30 comedians meet that "self-propelled to the top" criteria. Who can honestly claim that, Seinfeld?

I hope Patton Oswalt would be on there as one such list example, because he definitely didn't put in the better part of a decade on a deadeningly unfunny sitcom, until he got a springboard into voicing an animated rat for children. I wonder if fans knew that about him before they started selling out his shows and buying many of his albums??

Jim Norton is a "mediocre" comedian in your eyes and you think he should feel shame because he's used a "sweet radio gig" as a stepping stone. Armed with this knowledge, perhaps you should mail Louis CK and tell him what a lucky fraud this Norton is, and that he should stop being pals with him immediately. You could include a manilla envelope of your sterling printed off posts such as "cry more" and piss poorly justified anonymous internet forum attacks at people you don't know. Swoop right in with that signature t-bowl charm and steal all his walk-on roles! He's so mediocre, how could he stop you!

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread