Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I've been trying out some power stance combos, but there isn't a ton of good information on some fun combos for PvE/PvP other than dual Avelyns. I am sorry if this has been brought up before but this thread moves pretty quick. Any ideas? I am sort of all over the place with stats other than abusing the bandit's tremendously low casting stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

oh get off your high and mighty horse, you aren't going to prove anything to anyone here. You didn't understand the plot at all on your first play through. You probably still don't and going to watch 10 youtube lore video's to craft theories on it just to try and prove me wrong.

I'm just pissed that I finished the game and the ending; which I was hoping would have a little more insight; was nothing more than something terribly put together. Maybe it'll take another couple play through to let the rest of the dialogue sink in but for over 80% of the game you have no idea what you're actually going towards and who the antagonist is. It's definitely not "The curse" because then the plot would never have a climax and a finale (you're still cursed at the end). It's not vendrik since he's completely optional and not climactic part of the game (you beat him but nothing happens).

So it's Nashandra? You don't even know she's evil till the very end.

I'm wondering if my game was loving bugged for dialogues. When I first beat velstad, i went into the next chamber and started beating up vendrik (didn't know it was vendrik till i started killing him) and was doing full damage. I got him down to ~30% on my first try and hosed up a roll and died after he does his jump back move and charging swipe. Went back and tried again and found out i'm doing 10 damage to him so obviously I figured it's time to move on since this wasn't what I was supposed to do. I talked to the emerald herald, rest of the cronies in majula and they all had the exact same dialogue to the point where i was wondering what exactly I needed to do. So I went to dragon shrine and the dragon didn't really say anything and ended up googling what the gently caress I was supposed to do after getting the ashen heart. Defeated the giant lord after dying a few times first. Head rolled over me the first try, I had a good laugh. Second try the head rolled past and out of the smog I got one shotted by an overhead smack down. Anyways, beat those guys then killed Vendrik only to realize nothing changed and I could have just opened the gate to the end of the game without even doing any of that. So probably killing the giant lord first and not killing the throne defender/watcher was probably the wrong way to do it. Since what happened was I killed the throne defender/watcher and then immediately killed Nashandra and left there thinking "was this the last fight?" because absolutely nothing was said.

Truth:
Plot is very poorly presented.

Basically your entire issue with Vendrick comes from the fact that you didn't talk to Nashandra in the castle. She tells you where he is and what you should do next but goes out of her way to avoid telling you why, which is an early hint that she is not one of the good guys (there are no good guys in Dark Souls). It's easy to miss that you can even talk to her though since you have to go right up to the edge of the platform before the prompt appears.

I do agree with you though that the plot is a little scatterbrained especially near the end.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Man, people who bitch about Shrine of Amana are gonna love it on NG+. Four arch drakes that all aggro simultaneously and will never, ever leash back to starting positions :getin:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

:cry: my brain doesn't work

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

(didn't know it was vendrik till i started killing him)

You didn't know that the big guy with the crown and the King's Ring was the king until after you tried attacking him.

When you went down there to find him in the first place.

After fighting a dude called Royal Aegis.

Oh, and

quote:

(there are no good people in Dark Souls)

Except for drat near every person you meet.

Patches, Pate, Creighton, Lautrec, Petrus. That's it, a list of every single bad dude in the Dark Souls series.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 30, 2014

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Flytrap posted:

You didn't know that the big guy with the crown and the King's Ring was the king until after you tried attacking him.

When you went down there to find him in the first place.

After fighting a dude called Royal Aegis.

Before you even get to him, you fight vengarl after a boss so it's entirely plausible that the giant walking around in the next room is going to be hostile. the first thing I did was start attacking from behind and hug the left leg. Didn't pick up the kings ring until my second time in there after he killed me. Since your souls get transported outside of his room, it was a big hint that it was "Not the time" kind of fight.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Coolwhoami posted:

I've been trying out some power stance combos, but there isn't a ton of good information on some fun combos for PvE/PvP other than dual Avelyns. I am sorry if this has been brought up before but this thread moves pretty quick. Any ideas? I am sort of all over the place with stats other than abusing the bandit's tremendously low casting stats.

Power stance a greataxe(lion, bandit or gyrm greataxe) and a great hammer class weapon(or ultra greatsword really) together and swing them like they are two long swords.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Except for drat near every person you meet.

Patches, Pate, Creighton, Lautrec, Petrus. That's it, a list of every single bad dude in the Dark Souls series.

You could make a case for Kaathe and Ancient Dragon (assuming he is fact Aldia).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Flytrap posted:

The hundreds of hollows, demons, and other human/giant bosses don't count though. :rolleyes:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The hundreds of hollows, demons, and bosses don't count though.

They're all insane zombies and don't count as people anymore, and the demons never were people to begin with.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Flytrap posted:

What about Licia?

Though I suppose we don't know the specifics about her. Hm.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kaldaris posted:

What about Licia?

Though I suppose we don't know the specifics about her. Hm.

She tries to kill you a few times. There's Navlaan, too now that I think about it.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Flytrap posted:

There's something wrong with this post, but I can't put my finger on it... :raise:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Flytrap posted:

They're all insane zombies and don't count as people anymore, and the demons never were people to begin with.

I will concede that there are good dudes but they are definitely a vast minority.

Also Pate isn't a bad guy. Pate did nothing wrong.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I will concede that there are good dudes but they are definitely a vast minority.

Neither did Patches. His hand just slipped.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pate doesn't try to trick you or trap you a single time. He even warns you that the gate will lock behind you in the forest and gives you his equipment for helping out with Creighton, who was trapped in that cage because he is a serial killer and not because Pate put him there. :colbert:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

She tries to kill you a few times. There's Navlaan, too now that I think about it.

Navlaan kind of cancels himself out really.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Before you even get to him, you fight vengarl after a boss so it's entirely plausible that the giant walking around in the next room is going to be hostile. the first thing I did was start attacking from behind and hug the left leg. Didn't pick up the kings ring until my second time in there after he killed me. Since your souls get transported outside of his room, it was a big hint that it was "Not the time" kind of fight.

You have to hit him several times for him to aggro, and if you only have the one giant soul (which is all that's possible to get at that point unless you spend bonfire ascetics) it takes quite a bit of wailing on him. You'd think that after several seconds of hitting him with no damage numbers popping up and him not attacking you you'd get the hint.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

CJacobs posted:

The story goes out of its way to make sure that neither Pate nor Creighton are implicitly implicated. Admittedly the Murderer with a name of Creigh-something only comes out once Creighton is freed, but both use the same trapped chest, so they're likely still accomplices to whatever bad thing one of them did.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just fought a guy who used resonant weapon on santier's spear.

But he didn't break the skull off first. :psyduck:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

I just fought a guy who used resonant weapon on santier's spear.

But he didn't break the skull off first. :psyduck:
Did you kindly tell him to do so?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

neetengie posted:

Did you kindly tell him to do so?

I did, actually. He sent me a message "oh my loving god I'm a dumbass. Thank you."

So there's that.

I did still kick his poo poo in though.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You know a lot of lore questions could be clearly answered if we could just find whoever keeps writing up and taping these item synopsis.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TipsyMcStagger posted:

oh get off your high and mighty horse, you aren't going to prove anything to anyone here. You didn't understand the plot at all on your first play through. You probably still don't and going to watch 10 youtube lore video's to craft theories on it just to try and prove me wrong.

Actually no, I understood the basic idea of the plot just fine on my own. There are some more specific things I didn't piece together on my own (I completely didn't pick up on the Rotten being Pharos) but the main story and theme of the game was obvious. I don't need a youtube video to tell me that, you just have to put a little thought into it and pay attention.

The game isn't going to spell out the plot to you in lengthy cut scenes or drawn out dialogue. That has never been the way the story has been told in the series. Just because you are terrible at figuring out the plot based on the little bits of dialogue combined with the HUGE amounts of lore and back story told through other means doesn't mean it isn't there.

EDIT: Don't say you actually paid attention either if you couldn't figure out who loving VENDRICK was.

Daerc posted:

The story goes out of its way to make sure that neither Pate nor Creighton are implicitly implicated. Admittedly the Murderer with a name of Creigh-something only comes out once Creighton is freed, but both use the same trapped chest, so they're likely still accomplices to whatever bad thing one of them did.

Creighton seems a lot more shady though what with him being so pumped up about murder. And Pate had such a calm, soothing voice. How could such a mild-mannered man be evil? :v:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 30, 2014

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Does anyone think the item Vendrick stole from the giants was actually the Petrified Dragon Egg, and not the Lordvessel? It certainly seems more relevant than the Lordvessel during the game's progession--the egg is on a big opulent pedestal in one of the final areas of the game, while the Lordvessel is a crumbled Easter Egg in the Majula mansion's basement.

I'm also guessing the egg is the source of Aldia's experiments in creating both the Ancient Dragon and the Emerald Herald. Looking at the item description:

A large petrified egg. Surely bears no life.
Eggs are vessels that harbor life itself, and symbolize the deepest secrets of existence. But what does a petrified egg harbor?

If a regular egg holds the secret to life, then a petrified egg probably holds the secret to unlife, the secret Vendrick wanted to unlock so he could remove the undead curse. He heard about the egg, went across the sea and stole it from the giants, then the giants came back and waged war (if I'm remembering the sequence of events correctly). In the Dragonrider Duo boss room, there's an empty display that looks like it's the right size for the egg. Vendrick might have kept it in his castle until Aldia took it to start his experiments, I'm not sure if this transer happened before or after Vendrick went hollow.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Maybe it'll take another couple play through to let the rest of the dialogue sink in but for over 80% of the game you have no idea what you're actually going towards and who the antagonist is.

I swear the quote from the intro "You will stand before its decrepit gates, without really knowing why" should just be the thread title. Dark Souls 2 is very blatantly all consuming desire - to the point it even erases one's memories. It's why everyone else is utterly obsessed with some poo poo, but has long forgotten how they even got there. Except Vengarl, who wants for nothing and also remembers his history very well. And maybe Straid? I didn't talk to him too much. It's why Lucatiel is so quick to tell you her story, and why Chloanne doesn't know the Blacksmith is her father but knows the poo poo out of stones.

edit: There is unexplained poo poo, like what the hell the Darklurker is or why we're only now meeting the Fenito, or how dark and death got intertwined when they weren't in Dark Souls 1, but the core theme of forgetfulness and desire are pretty consistently expressed through like every NPC ever.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 30, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FutonForensic posted:

Does anyone think the item Vendrick stole from the giants was actually the [spoiler]Petrified Dragon Egg, and not the Lordvessel? It certainly seems more relevant than the Lordvessel during the game's progession--the egg is on a big opulent pedestal in one of the final areas of the game, while the Lordvessel is a crumbled Easter Egg in the Majula mansion's basement.

It's implied whatever Vendrick stole is what allowed him to create the Golems (since he made them right after pillaging their homeland).

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Genocyber posted:

It's implied whatever Vendrick stole is what allowed him to create the Golems (since he made them right after pillaging their homeland).

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the Golems were Vendrick's and Aldia's early attempts at creating immortal beings, then with better understanding came more complicated creatures like the Dragon and Shanalotte. I think that just lends more support to the Egg being the object.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I think I've pieced something together about Navlaan's identity. We don't know much about this "Royal Sorcerer", but we do know something about Navlaan.

Namely, that he's dead. Perma-dead even, not like our dead. Been dead for a while now. So dead that nobody even remembers his name, since everybody who knew it was killed right along with him.

Now the next thing to point out is that he is ridiculously find of Hexes. Now, where can you find a bunch of hexes? That's right, hanging out with the Abyss Divers.

Coincidentally, where do you find a bunch of dead people? That's right, same place.

So, my theory is that this Royal Sorcerer was just some dude who was experimenting with the Abyss when suddenly he got possessed by Navlaan. Was he Alida? Or just some guy on the royal payroll? Did Aldia even have an official position in Ven's kingdom?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

^^^
Aldia was Vendrick's brother wasn't he?

CJacobs posted:

Basically your entire issue with Vendrick comes from the fact that you didn't talk to Nashandra in the castle. She tells you where he is and what you should do next but goes out of her way to avoid telling you why, which is an early hint that she is not one of the good guys (there are no good guys in Dark Souls). It's easy to miss that you can even talk to her though since you have to go right up to the edge of the platform before the prompt appears.

As soon as you've reached Nashandra/Drangleic Castle nearly all of your direction and plot information comes from Nashandra and Shalquoir, the Emerald Herald just follows around after you saying "Cool, you did thing!" while the other two actually tell you where to go next and why.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Flytrap posted:

I think I've pieced something together about Navlaan's identity. We don't know much about this "Royal Sorcerer", but we do know something about Navlaan.

Namely, that he's dead. Perma-dead even, not like our dead. Been dead for a while now. So dead that nobody even remembers his name, since everybody who knew it was killed right along with him.

Now the next thing to point out is that he is ridiculously find of Hexes. Now, where can you find a bunch of hexes? That's right, hanging out with the Abyss Divers.

Coincidentally, where do you find a bunch of dead people? That's right, same place.

So, my theory is that this Royal Sorcerer was just some dude who was experimenting with the Abyss when suddenly he got possessed by Navlaan. Was he Alida? Or just some guy on the royal payroll? Did Aldia even have an official position in Ven's kingdom?

Navlaan's blue like Agdayne and the grave wardens. You're probably right that he delved way too far into the bad darkness and the abyss poo poo, but he's probably not undead since that's a human thing, and he's probably not Aldia since Vendrick isn't a Fenito either.

edit: he's possibly also developed the anime crazies because he's been locked up in a tiny room for loving ever. Since he's in Aldia's manor, it's also possible that he wasn't hired help but rather a test subject. Fenito do have a connection to death and, presumably, undeath.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 30, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

While I don't think Navlaan is Aldia, we don't actually know what Vendrick looked like before he became the giant undead thing you meet in the crypt.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Even if you didn't talk to Nashandra, you'd think you would pick up on the fact that you're going to see Vendrick. Given that you know, that's been foreshadowed as your goal since you first talked to the Emerald Herald. Then you go to this castle and get the key to a place called KING'S PASSAGE. And after you go through the KING'S PASSAGE, you can talk to Agdayne who will tell you that Vendrick is RIGHT AHEAD. Of course even if he didn't, you might guess that maybe if there are a ton of royal soldiers and a guy called the ROYAL AEGIS they might be guarding something.

Oh but who is this giant standing next to a pile of the King's clothes and containing the King's Ring? Hmmmmm.....

Nah. Game didn't tell me in a cutscene so I can't figure it out. God what a lovely plot.

VVV Bellbroing is about as unfair as it gets.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 30, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What's the best way to get in lopsided battles where I can own shitheads in PVP? Blue cop ring? Sunbroing in specific areas? Bellbroing?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

While I don't think Navlaan is Aldia, we don't actually know what Vendrick looked like before he became the giant undead thing you meet in the crypt.

Actually, the achievement icon has the answer!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Bob NewSCART posted:

What's the best way to get in lopsided battles where I can own shitheads in PVP? Blue cop ring? Sunbroing in specific areas? Bellbroing?

Define shithead. If you want easy to win, lopsided battles, just put a summon stone down at a popular PvP spot and someone will probably summon you to help gank invaders. It's not very fulfilling, but it's an option.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
To be honest, I entirely forgot why my character was even going through all of those places after a while. It wasn't until I started NG+ did I go "oooooh yeah, the herald actually mentions King Vendrick". Before that, I completely forgot his name.

Given that I played most of it fully hollow, I think I'll blame it on that. :v:

Is there actually any in-game stuff that links the Rotten is Pharros, though? I missed that.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Bob NewSCART posted:

Rat covenant, bellganking.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

I use people who use blue cop ring to farm my bloodbro rank so it might not be the best option for one sided gank fights. (Everyone should use the blue cop ring, PLEASE.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

Actually, the achievement icon has the answer!

Oh wow, I never noticed that. That's neat.