Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
That's actually a pretty useful function. Bravo Sakurai. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

I'm pretty sure every loser kid ever already used the custom characters in wrestling games for this, so uhhh.

Ah, I see you have experience in this field.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DrPaper posted:

Ah, I see you have experience in this field.
Learned from the best, dad. I love you.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Might be useful if you're dealing with team colors or whatever. Otherwise I can't see myself going "geez, now which one is samus? :confused:"

VVedit: No idea why I didn't think of that :doh:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 30, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE loving MOON posted:

Might be useful if you're dealing with team colors or whatever. Otherwise I can't see myself going "geez, now which one is samus? :confused:"
If there's multiple samuses?

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

If there's multiple samuses?

It'll be hot as gently caress.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DrPaper posted:

It'll be hot as gently caress.
4 warios doing the rear end-shake taunt at the same time

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

GenericMartini posted:

Sometimes the newer characters can pay off when it's a brand new game. I remember there was a day 1 tournament for Brawl at this Gamestop and the finals came down to Lucas vs. Lucas. I'm sure somebody is going to look at Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, or Megaman and say "This guy is probably going to make me victorious." in a much similar fashion.

A tournament of some of the greatest Smash players of all time is not really at all comparable to a random Gamestop tournament. I've been to random Gamestop tournaments and those players are not good. Like Count said, the only way Megaman or Wii Fit Trainer are making a splash in this tournament is if the players have a chance to practice them first. Not knowing what YOUR CHARACTER does will be a much bigger detriment than not knowing what your opponent's character does.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Soooooo... an incomplete list of players and commentators was leaked a few days ago:

quote:

Categorized by Real name - Alias

Players:

Kevin Toy - PewPewU
McCain LaVelle - MacD
Christopher Szygiel - PC Chris
Daniel Jung - KoreanDJ
Lilian Wei - Milktea
Gonzalo Barrios - ZeRo
Neha Chhetri - Lilo
Kevin Nanney - PPMD
Kris Aldenderfer - Toph
Hendrick Pilar - DJ Nintendo
Dakota Lasky - Rapture
Justin Hallett - Wizzrobe
Samantha McNaughton - Peachyhime
Hugo Gonzalez - HugS
Ken Hoang - Ken
Cristin DeSaro - Crismas

Commentators:

D'Ron Maingrette - D1
Wynton Smith - Prog

Last night I typed out a full list of reasons it had to be fake, but forgot to hit submit. I'll leave it on the record so I can still eat my shorts.

quote:

• Mew2king is world famous, he's the first person to come up when you think "pro smash", and he's dominant in every single Smash Bros game to date. For better or worse he's the face of the community. They worship him, and the list is clearly trying to please the community.

• It's almost entirely Melee players, which is weird on its own, but they left out some of the most obvious Melee champs.

• Where's Mang0, the winner of Evo 2013? And what about Armada and Hungrybox, both top 5 in Melee and two of the most pleasant, well spoken players in the community?

• PC Chris is the guy that won MLG 2006 and has been retired since. By retired I mean completely absent from the scene until just last weekend. Nintendo probably had to remind him what Smash Bros is.

• There are four women on the list and I don't think any of them deserve to be there, but I can understand Nintendo wanting some gender variety. However their presence still draws suspicion because:

• * Milktea is actually pretty well known as a Melee veteran, for being in the documentary, and raising awareness about sexism in gaming communities. She has never been known as a great player though. She considers herself retired, and would be better off as a commentator. She's the most notable female rep, yet they misspelled her name, so I'm skeptical.

• * Lilo is a pretty average player, but I've at least heard of her before. (edit: I forgot she was also equally involved in the gender equality movement)

• * Crismas is a freaking ghost. I was unable to find more than two videos of her in tournament. Further investigation revealed a Youtube channel that gets an average of 30 views per video.

• * I actually know Peachyhime from my local scene. She's a threat, but she's the weirdest choice out of all of everyone. Her only exposure is for exclusively playing Project M (to my knowledge she's never entered Melee or Brawl), and dating one of the world's best PM players. She doesn't play any official Smash games, so I don't know why Nintendo would acknowledge her. (edit: They actually don't. Her official Nintendo player page on Facebook is the only one that has nothing listed under 'Smash Accomplishments'. Talk about backhanded...)

• * All 4 girls play Peach, forwarding the very real and highly degrading stereotype that all girls play Peach. I know there are more accomplished women in the scene, with more character variety too. (to be fair there are also 3 Marths, 4 Foxes, and 1 man-Peach) (edit: This doesn't matter because of the draft picked characters)

• * Last comment about gamer girls I promise: All of these women participated in a "Why benevolent sexism is harmful to the gaming community" awareness program through live debates, interviews, and written articles. Now I'm not passing judgement, but I would expect at least some of them to take insult in being "chosen for their gender". However since this is most likely a less-than-serious competition, and more of an exhibition for marketing purposes, it's probably fine and doesn't affect the integrity of the game. It's like the models advertised laughing and holding Wiimotes, and may actually encourage more women to compete. (edit: Now that the rules have been confirmed with free-for-alls and items and whatnot, it's clear that this is a 'for fun' tournament, which is fine. Despite the demographics they're still going out of their way to include the hardcore crowd right up to grand finals. It's great that the majority of contestants are top-ranked players, with not a Pewdiepie in sight)

• Wizzrobe is mostly known for winning a major Project M tournament with Sonic, but to be fair he's a top state ranked Florida player in every Smash game so far. He's also practically a child so Nintendo could have chosen him for the kid-friendly image.

• Rapture is also from my region and I can't understand why he'd be picked. He was never an active player and placed last or near last in the few tournaments he entered. He is apparently involved behind the scenes in organized Leage, CoD, and pretty much every esport except Smash, so it's really a headscratcher.

• Everyone else not mentioned are perfect choices. On a side note Dr. Peepee seems to have officially changed his name to 'PPMD' as part of his contract with a new sponsor (and probably Nintendo).

The list turned out to be true, but Wizzrobe and PC Chris were replaced by Hungrybox and aMSa, both excellent choices. No official reason but Wizzrobe is 16 so there were probably legal issues. PC Chris most likely declined. Also, Bobby Scar and Geoff Keighley were added as commentators/host.

It's possible there were other players who declined, so no one was necessarily snuffed by Nintendo... except Mew2king. :smithicide:

That said, we still don't know the winner of the people's challenger Instagram contest, which was supposedly chosen yesterday.

One last speculation: Mew2king has been dropping hints recently about big news regarding Nintendo. It's possible he may have some other role at E3, or maybe Nintendo's hired him for some kind of consulting work. It could have just been the new Gamecube controllers.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

F. Lobot posted:

Soooooo... an incomplete list of players and commentators was leaked a few days ago:

Last night I typed out a full list of reasons it had to be fake, but forgot to hit submit. I'll leave it on the record so I can still eat my shorts.

The list turned out to be true, but Wizzrobe and PC Chris were replaced by Hungrybox and aMSa, both excellent choices. No official reason but Wizzrobe is 16 so there were probably legal issues. PC Chris most likely declined. Also, Bobby Scar and Geoff Keighley were added as commentators/host.

It's possible there were other players who declined, so no one was necessarily snuffed by Nintendo... except Mew2king. :smithicide:

That said, we still don't know the winner of the people's challenger Instagram contest, which was supposedly chosen yesterday.

One last speculation: Mew2king has been dropping hints recently about big news regarding Nintendo. It's possible he may have some other role at E3, or maybe Nintendo's hired him for some kind of consulting work. It could have just been the new Gamecube controllers.

Yeah man, I know the FOUR WOMEN (wtf amirite!?!?) don't deserve to be there, but at least they're mostly white!

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 30, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Holy poo poo, are you for real?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Sure is suspicious Nintendo is leaving out the dudes with questionable reps and including ladies in the tournament for the game aimed at young boys and girls.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

F. Lobot posted:

Mew2king is world famous, he's the first person to come up when you think "pro smash", and he's dominant in every single Smash Bros game to date. For better or worse he's the face of the community. They worship him, and the list is clearly trying to please the community.

The community's been trying to pull M2K out of his "face of the community" status ever since he barfed on his Japanese host's futon. E: Mango also frequently shows up to tournaments that are not Apex/MLG/EVO very drunk.

I've been wondering for a while now, and you don't have PMs so I'll just ask here: what's your tag? You talk like you play frequently and competitively.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 30, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
A friend of a friend on Facebook went the full gamers.txt (with almost 500 comments) on how the women only got chosen because of they were fake gamer girls or some poo poo like that. He's apparently some C-lister in the competitive Smash scene who's nowhere near as good or famous as M2K. With people like this, it makes perfect sense why Nintendo is being careful and picky with their choices.

Apparently it looks like M2K is taking the high road by acknowledging disappointment but congratulating the 16 and wishing them luck nonetheless. Maybe he's learning some PR skills?

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I know we've moved on from the topic but.

I am super excited for these new Gamecube controllers because it will mean I can finally replace some of my broken ones and finally play 4 player Kirby's Air Ride again.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

F. Lobot posted:

A reddit thing happened on my way to the Smash Bros forum

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Quest For Glory II posted:

I understood that reference! I, too, enjoy Zero Mostel!

The T
May 29, 2010

Oh also Nintendo posted this on Twitter earlier today: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.283549175152103.1073741833.224173137756374&type=1

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

M'champ.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

DrPaper posted:

Yeah man, I know the FOUR WOMEN (wtf amirite!?!?) don't deserve to be there, but at least they're mostly white!

In today's political climate, not holding women to the same standards as men in a children's game is as bad as holding doors open for them.

Jokes aside, I was clear that I don't see anything wrong with it and it makes sense. However if Nintendo were to host real tournaments in the future, there can't be any special treatment.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I kinda like Ken, his quote and the first game make perfect sense.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I wonder how many people named non-Nintendo games for the last question and were told to change their answer.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

F. Lobot posted:

In today's political climate, not holding women to the same standards as men in a children's game is as bad as holding doors open for them.

Jokes aside, I was clear that I don't see anything wrong with it and it makes sense. However if Nintendo were to host real tournaments in the future, there can't be any special treatment.

Maybe Nintendo will make a woman's league to make sure this kind of oversight doesn't happen again :hfive:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I wonder how many people named non-Nintendo games for the last question and were told to change their answer.

I would assume nobody since they wanted to make a good impression on Nintendo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

F. Lobot posted:

Why do you think that they were given special treatment other than that they're not apparently not up to your Smash standards? Nintendo most likely had some sort of outside consult in curating this, considering a couple of years ago their position was "people play this competitively??"

This is like how that person went to NeoGAF saying "Nintendo didn't invite M2K ergo they DISCRIMINATE AGAINST PEOPLE WITH AUTISM!!" Yall don't even know what their criteria was, or who helped in the curation.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 30, 2014

The T
May 29, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Seeing how many specifically named Melee....

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
It's a Nintendo sponsored tournament I don't get why anybody would care why they picked who they picked. I don't give a gently caress if some Pro-Smash whatever doesn't get in as long the people playing have fun with the game we should all be happy.

I really hope we don't get a similar situation like that one with that Kid who had to give up his trophy because people were giving him poo poo for winning.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If by Capcom you mean the organizers of UFGT. I'm fairly certain none of that money came from the company at all. Capcom is however putting up a ton of money for their Pro Tour, but that's still on AE 2012 since Ultra isn't officially out here yet.

UFGT put that money up? Thats weird, it just seemed like a good stunt to advertise the new stuff. Either way, Nintendo should still do that to ensure the new characters get shown off

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also it's probably not weird that they invited Melee players since they want Smash 4 to be closer in play to Melee than Brawl was!!

e: And having a player or two who specialize in P:M means that person can then evangelize about Smash 4 to the P:M community. I'm sure they'd like to get every cluster of Smash fan out there to get the game.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 30, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Also it's probably not weird that they invited Melee players since they want Brawl 4 to be closer in play to Melee than Brawl was!!

Are there even any competitive Smash players that exclusively play Brawl?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

God drat there's a lot of people saying they like ramen.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hilariously, yes.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They've recently tried something new with Brawl tournaments where it's best 3/5 but you only get 1-stock per match with a 3 minute time limit. It actually makes for entertaining Brawl fights cause you're forced to go on the offensive rather than lame out the clock.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Maple Leaf posted:

I've been wondering for a while now, and you don't have PMs so I'll just ask here: what's your tag? You talk like you play frequently and competitively.

My tag is F. Blue, and I consider myself pseudo-competitive. I don't play or enter tournaments with enough consistency to ever excel nor would I want to, but I enjoy the competitive style and watching streams.

If this at all helps your understanding, I don't really like to talk about video games in person, but sometimes I still have urges. This results in periodic dumps of goonsay in these threads. I am not a very strong writer but I try to improve by forming these meaningless, inconsequential ramblings about games into something more organized. It's all practice, and if it's too frightening tell me and I'll dial it down.

Echo Chamber posted:

A friend of a friend on Facebook went the full gamers.txt (with almost 500 comments) on how the women only got chosen because of they were fake gamer girls or some poo poo like that.

See I wouldn't go that far or even call them fake. I'm sure they're very passionate about the game and take it way more seriously than me, many people do. But they're not on the same skill level as the top 16 or 20 or probably 50. They wouldn't have been chosen if they were men. It's really not a problem, since they make the whole show look a little less pathetic. Again it's just advertising.

I forgot about Mango's alcohol problems, on the surface he seems like a roughcut dad with Starfox tattoos. Mew2king... I didn't expect to be a problem he's cleaned up his act, a lot of his reputation is unproven rumors, and he has a mental illness. He was even selected to visit Nintendo and play Brawl before it was released.

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 30, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe we're all getting played, and Mew2King is in fact the People's Challenger.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Maybe we're all getting played, and Mew2King is in fact the People's Challenger.

His special tactic is touching your controller before the match, thus gumming up your buttons with cum

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Supercar Gautier posted:

We'll get the CHALLENGER APPROACHING at the end of the invitational, and in true Smash style, everyone has to argue over who fights him.

I'm not sure what sequence of events leads Mew2King to taking the controller, but he will.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Mew2King wasn't invited cus Mewtwo isn't in the game.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Why do you think that they were given special treatment other than that they're not apparently not up to your Smash standards? Nintendo most likely had some sort of outside consult in curating this, considering a couple of years ago their position was "people play this competitively??"

This is like how that person went to NeoGAF saying "Nintendo didn't invite M2K ergo they DISCRIMINATE AGAINST PEOPLE WITH AUTISM!!" Yall don't even know what their criteria was, or who helped in the curation.

It's pretty clear that they compromised (several times in fact) between some community manager's ideal "the 16 most accomplished Smash players" and Nintendo's "we need diverse, appealing people with good reputations". Somebody who cared must have pushed pretty hard too, because the majority of the picks are pretty much perfect, I really can't complain as it's frankly way more than I was expecting.

The women were chosen to satisfy Nintendo's terms, and broaden the appeal. They even got genuinely good female players, when they could have paid booth babes to press buttons and expose the event to millions of Kotaku readers.

It's perfectly fine and in fact beneficial in a pre-release, reality show styled E3 event with a wacky ruleset (seriously read the rules, in the event of an absolute tie the winner is chosen based on which name the crowd cheers louder) that focuses on fun and is entirely paid for by Nintendo. But in a serious 'For Glory' setting the top 16 needs to be the actual best 16 players available, and demographics can't be a factor or else the integrity is gone and there's no glory in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What do professional fighting game players know of integrity?

• Locked thread