Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This game has some great music in it. I really like N64 Yoshi Valley's music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Katana Gomai posted:

The physical release is much cheaper than the digital one.

Really? I thought both were $59.99?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

jivjov posted:

The MSRP is the same but there's always a discount somewhere at release. The physical game is discounted all over Europe, no idea about the US though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
GAME UK has the digital version for 39.99
http://www.game.co.uk/en/mario-kart-8-299301/?merchname=eshop-_-banner-_-mariokart8

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The physical version is 40 GBP as well, and you get the wheel for free if that's your thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Is the wheel anyone's thing? The Gamepad is pretty wheel-ish as it is, so the wheel is even less useful now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
$55 is pretty good on digital for me, specially since I don't have to go to cross the U.S. border (it's usually somewhere between an hour to three at nights here) or pay taxes for it, plus the convenience of working on stuff while the game was loading is excellent, but that's just my situation, if I were next to a state that did charge taxes on digital purchases I'd probably stick to retail.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This game is really loving good you guys.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

jivjov posted:

Fry's Electronics has it for 49.99 today.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

We need more Mario Kart goons in the Goonvitational Tournament.

Edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638782

Edit 2: I'd like to proclaim Mount Wario as the best course.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Endorph posted:

Baby Metal Koopalings Grand Prix

LordHippoman posted:

Baby Metal WaSomethingAwful

Just Baby Metal would be fine with me.

I'm watching SpeedRazor's stream, playing online against one Hank Hill of Arland, TX.

enojy fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 30, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well..me and my best friend just blitzed through all 8 cups on 50cc. Man this game is awesome! I lament the loss of a true Battle Mode, but the new courses are amazing and the retro ones are tweaked enough to not feel like total rehashes. Good job Nintendo!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

jivjov posted:

Well..me and my best friend just blitzed through all 8 cups on 50cc. Man this game is awesome! I lament the loss of a true Battle Mode, but the new courses are amazing and the retro ones are tweaked enough to not feel like total rehashes. Good job Nintendo!

FYI, beating cups on 150 CC gets you the corresponding trophy and star-rank for 100 and 50 CC (and on 100, you get 50CC cred!) What a great quality-of-life improvement!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorWhat posted:

FYI, beating cups on 150 CC gets you the corresponding trophy and star-rank for 100 and 50 CC (and on 100, you get 50CC cred!) What a great quality-of-life improvement!

Does this also unlock multiple characters per cup, or do you only get one for doing this even though it gives you trophies for multiple ones? And if the latter, how do you unlock the remaining six characters after you've beaten all eight cups at 150cc?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
The attention to detail in this game is kind of taking me aback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-n1Uh9uHWQ

I mean this video is just an arbitrary smattering of maybe a thirtieth of the touches added to this game for their own sake, and maybe a dozen people will ever notice a given one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Does this also unlock multiple characters per cup, or do you only get one for doing this even though it gives you trophies for multiple ones? And if the latter, how do you unlock the remaining six characters after you've beaten all eight cups at 150cc?

It only gets you one character. I haven't 100% the game yet by a long shot, don't ask me about 12 characters down the line, man!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh that does sound amazing! But doesn't that throw off character unlocks? I thought unlocking a character was contingent on "getting Gold on a cup you haven't gotten Gold on before". Am I just misunderstanding how it works?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

jivjov posted:

Oh that does sound amazing! But doesn't that throw off character unlocks? I thought unlocking a character was contingent on "getting Gold on a cup you haven't gotten Gold on before". Am I just misunderstanding how it works?

I HAVE NO IDEA, mainly because I don't think I've GOLD-ed anything on 150CC yet.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I can confirm that unlocking characters in 100cc does not retroactively unlock extra characters for 50cc; you still have to go back and gold-equivalent 50cc for the characters. This actually makes it kind of hard to keep up with what all you've already done, since it shows you as having gold trophies in cups you haven't used to get characters for yet.

For example, we golded Mushroom 100cc and unlocked a character. Mushroom 50cc now has a gold trophy icon; we then proceeded to do Mushroom 50cc anyway, and unlocked another character. I apologize if I'm explaining this poorly, I've been playing Mario Kart for the last six hours instead of, uhh, sleeping.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Lunatic Sledge posted:

We golded Mushroom 100cc and unlocked a character. Mushroom 50cc now has a gold trophy icon; we then proceeded to do Mushroom 50cc anyway, and unlocked another character.

This sounds like a waking nightmare

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so just to confirm, there are pretty much no "secret" characters? just the koopa kids/baby rosalina/gold metal chocolate cotton candy peach?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

robot roll call posted:

You gots to win them all son

If it's anything like past Mario Karts you'll also need to finish with 10 coins and never fall off the track to get 3 stars

Nooooooooooooooooooo, oh well. This game is super fun and I will win them all.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I just wanna know how to get my Miis up in this business. The Sixth Doctor Who needs to kick rear end at Mario Kart ASAP.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

MinibarMatchman posted:

so just to confirm, there are pretty much no "secret" characters? just the koopa kids/baby rosalina/gold metal chocolate cotton candy peach?

There's also toadette.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

It's intended as a bit of an easter egg, but the final unlockable character is Bonjo, the lost eighth Koopa Kid made of purple platinum

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Say, if anyone's having trouble getting a Pro Controller or other non-GamePad control scheme working as the primary controller or for single-player, the trick is to use [the controller you want "Player 1" to be] to press "A" at the start screen (one level up from the menu with "MKTV" as an option).

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Online has a few poor choices compared to Mario Kart 7 or Wii. Instead of being able to vote on any map you only get to choose from three. Also, you might as well not bother with online battles.

In other news, the free game download also gives you digital deluxe points.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 30, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spacebump posted:

In other news the free game download also give you digital deluxe points.
Sweet, I'll be able to get Pushmo World for free then.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Spacebump posted:

Online has a few poor choices compared to Mario Kart 7 or Wii. Instead of being able to vote on any map you only get to choose from three.

Its probably to stop the bastards who always choose the same map.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
How does online work? Does everybody have to be a different character? Is it first come first served or what?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MrFlibble posted:

And I massively approve of this change.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

MrFlibble posted:

gently caress Mushroom Gorge forever.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Making one now.

IT'S UP. FULL-TIME, 24/7 150 CC. PRIVATE.

"Goonvitational Karts"

Code is REDACTED. See thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638782

Put this in the OP; and we need more people to play!

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Guys is the bundle worth impulse buying today?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was wondering, since my buddy doesn't need his MK8 code and he owns all 4 free games already, is it possible to use my code plus his if I do some "family account" poo poo with my Club Nintendo?

Forbin5 posted:

Yes

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

My wallet hates you. See y'all online tonight.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Forbin5 posted:

I've been fighting the urge to do this all month. Historically I've always owned a Nintendo console and one other each console gen so it'll probably happen eventually but I really don't feel like paying for a stupid wheel peripheral that I'll never use.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Forbin5 posted:

Knock yourself out, grab 3D World too

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

I've been fighting the urge to do this all month. Historically I've always owned a Nintendo console and one other each console gen so it'll probably happen eventually but I really don't feel like paying for a stupid wheel peripheral that I'll never use.

The free game/wiimote are really making it hard for me to ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Forbin5 posted:

Do you like Mario Kart and Zelda/Pikmin/Mario? Then yes.

• Locked thread