Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

tuluk posted:

Dandelion is a acquired taste. The books & Witcher 1 game make him enjoyable. In Witcher 2 Dandelion doesn't have the buildup the earlier game & books gave him.
The Witcher 1 had Dandelion actively helping out Geralt. Dandelion also showed Geralt the non-horrible dice game in witcher 1, and was the key to a chapter 3 mission that involved two undead spirits.

http://imgur.com/QB0GJ6T

You mean Chapter 4. Chapter 3 was in the city. 4 is in the outskirts with 5 being a short stint in the city.

But yeah I love Dandelion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I like the Witcher 2 better than the Witcher 1 overall, but chapter 4 of the first game is among my favorite game segments period.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Hey guys! On June 5th at 6pm GMT (that's 1pm eastern) GOG/CDPR is doing their annual summer conference. New Witcher 3 gameplay and pre-ordering info, plus whatever new stuff they're sharing about GOG. http://t.co/t6CoZJQe5w

Also, this imagine is sweet:

He really doesn't look good in a beard.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

He really doesn't look good in a beard.

You're crazy.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If I remember correctly, in an interview CDProjekt said they actually asked female employees how they could make Geralt more attractive, and they near unanimously said "Beard."

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

So long as the beard doesnt obscure the blue stripes tattoo (which better be in the game :argh:) its cool.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

If I remember correctly, in an interview CDProjekt said they actually asked female employees how they could make Geralt more attractive, and they near unanimously said "Beard."

There's a reason why the NHL Playoffs draw a higher female viewership.* Playoff beards

*This entirely made up but must be true, because beards.

Burns
May 10, 2008

In one of the books Geralt states that he hates beards because they irritate his skin.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
He's clearly using his beard to fuel his rage thus making him a more effective combatant.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Burns posted:

In one of the books Geralt states that he hates beards because they irritate his skin.
The game is pretty much an interpretation of Geralt and not how he really is in the books though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So having finished the game, what is the difference between rescuing Triss on Roche's path versus Iorveth's path? Overall I liked Iorveth's path though as others have pointed out, you don't get the whole story from either path.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

monster on a stick posted:

So having finished the game, what is the difference between rescuing Triss on Roche's path versus Iorveth's path? Overall I liked Iorveth's path though as others have pointed out, you don't get the whole story from either path.
None, really, if I recall. Just where you enter the Nilfgaardian camp, front door vs. sewers. It's the shared Act III path.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Well that and the repercussions for doing it are different.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
So, I'm going to replay this game (first time was non-EE, normal mode).

I'm thinking of going through it with the FCR 2 mod and on dark mode. Since apparently dark mode is really hard and I'd like to explore more of Geralt's skills, I'm thinking of adding the two talents per level mod (http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/681/).

Anybody know if this is a good idea? Will it break the EE + FCR 2 edition? Any other advice?

Kalenden fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 31, 2014

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I don't actually think FCR is that good. It's got a lot of good ideas and some improvements that are really good, but on the whole I don't think that it meshes well with the overall game. For example, FCR changes how you regenerate health, so you don't really heal unless you have a potion. But in the prologue you can't drink potions until the third or fourth fight, so if you get injured before that you are hosed.

It also changes blocking/quen in ways that make sense from a paper-design perspective but are actually cumbersome and obnoxious when applied to the W2 UI.

The author works down the hall from me, so shhhh.

harley
Sep 2, 2004
I keep crashing to desktop. It's right after I re-spec with the Operator. I go through the portal and about 30 seconds later the game crashes. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Using Gog version
Windows 7 64 bit

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

harley posted:

I keep crashing to desktop. It's right after I re-spec with the Operator. I go through the portal and about 30 seconds later the game crashes. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Using Gog version
Windows 7 64 bit

The usual first suggestion is to delete all your old autosaves. The game engine starts to get slow and unstable if you have a large number of save files; this is made worse by the way the game doesn't overwrite autosave files.

harley
Sep 2, 2004

DoctorTristan posted:

The usual first suggestion is to delete all your old autosaves. The game engine starts to get slow and unstable if you have a large number of save files; this is made worse by the way the game doesn't overwrite autosave files.

Didn't work. It usually crashes when going up the stairs to leave the sewers.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I don't actually think FCR is that good. It's got a lot of good ideas and some improvements that are really good, but on the whole I don't think that it meshes well with the overall game. For example, FCR changes how you regenerate health, so you don't really heal unless you have a potion. But in the prologue you can't drink potions until the third or fourth fight, so if you get injured before that you are hosed.

It also changes blocking/quen in ways that make sense from a paper-design perspective but are actually cumbersome and obnoxious when applied to the W2 UI.

The author works down the hall from me, so shhhh.

Oh, okay, thanks for the advice. It did bug out the tutorial for me, so I've uninstalled it. Thanks!

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Reminder: A new trailer is premiering this Thursday at 6pm GMT during CDP's summer conference.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Reminder: A new trailer is premiering this Thursday at 6pm GMT during CDP's summer conference.

it's super cool fyi

edit: spoilers

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I don't remember that being true. You can mix up some potions and take them immediately after the first fight of the prologue, right after you get off the siege tower. I went into the second fight (the ballista) after drinking 3-4.

As for blocking, I found it worked a hell of a lot better in FCR. You only need to hit the button to block heavy or monster attacks. Otherwise you can just keep your guard up and strafe around enemies. One thing it DOES require is that you use the Walk button, which stops you from turning your back on an enemy.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

it's super cool fyi

edit: spoilers

Why do you get to work at CDP and not me? :mad:

Actually, I think there were some new gameplay sequences in the "teaser for the teaser" released the other week. They showed parts from the first trailer, but slightly longer it seemed.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Comte, please lobby against the excessive sharpening in The Witcher 3 inside the offices, it's the only part of the game's visual presentation I don't like. Thank you very much.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Why do you get to work at CDP and not me? :mad:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/

rectify the situation

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Downsides to consider:

1) Living in Moscow or Poland
2) Having to learn Polish
3) Did I mention you have to live in Moscow or Poland?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Riso posted:

Downsides to consider:

Moscow? We've got a studio in Krakov, not Moscow.

You don't have to learn Polish, the office is english. I know only a little polish. Additionally, Polish is considered so difficult that the locals don't mind that much if you never learn it.

EDIT: The company offers free lessons too, and there are a lot of expats here who are also learning. And a lot of expats who don't even try (they are french)

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 3, 2014

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
http://kotaku.com/obama-isnt-really-into-his-copy-of-the-witcher-2-1585337392

Thanks, Obama

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cripes I would take one of those jobs in a heartbeat if I had any of the necessary skills. Maybe I should apply for the Audio Lead because of my sexy voice ;-*

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Riso posted:

Downsides to consider:

What's wrong with Poland you dirty dumb yank?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krakow is a pretty cool city. :)

King Zog
Apr 9, 2009
Nothing wrong with living in Moscow or Krakow. Cheap booze and beautiful women :mrgw:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

You have offices in Moscow, Krakow, and Warsaw. You should take a look at the very website you linked.

Nauta posted:

What's wrong with Poland you dirty dumb yank?

Dirty Eastern Europeans stealing all our jerbs.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Riso posted:

You have offices in Moscow, Krakow, and Warsaw. You should take a look at the very website you linked.

Dirty Eastern Europeans stealing all our jerbs.

I'm here stealing their jerbs.

The moscow office is a marketing office, if you include marketing we probably have "offices" in a half dozen other places. But all dev is done in poland.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

I'm here stealing their jerbs.

The moscow office is a marketing office, if you include marketing we probably have "offices" in a half dozen other places. But all dev is done in poland.

Where in Krakow are you? I was just there, stayed in the Jewish Quarter next to all the zapiekanka places.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Where in Krakow are you? I was just there, stayed in the Jewish Quarter next to all the zapiekanka places.

I'm in Warsaw, at the main office. Krakov is a much prettier city, for obvious reasons. Those reasons being "the 20th century".

EDIT: What were you doing in Poland? Krakow is a really nice town to visit. Warsaw has a lot less to offer visitors. People ask me "what's there to do?" I say, "take a train to krakow"

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 3, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

I'm in Warsaw, at the main office. Krakov is a much prettier city, for obvious reasons. Those reasons being "the 20th century".

Yeah :(

Anyway - regardless of what I said earlier in the thread, I really enjoyed TW2 and am glad I stuck with it. Please give my best to the dev team from a very impressed former game dev.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 3, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Then give it to Malia.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Yeah :(

Anyway - regardless of what I said earlier in the thread

don't sweat it, yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

You don't have to learn Polish, the office is english. I know only a little polish. Additionally, Polish is considered so difficult that the locals don't mind that much if you never learn it.

EDIT: The company offers free lessons too, and there are a lot of expats here who are also learning. And a lot of expats who don't even try (they are french)

Polish is a noble language that insists on being spelled in the Latin alphabet and using consonants as prepositions.

• Locked thread