Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

S-Alpha posted:

Aaaand they've gone and dropped the Kenomaru trailer on us:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3vWdCZ2NPA

So basically, he's Carl Clover with a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volty
Jul 25, 2013

Excels posted:

I see exactly nothing wrong with this.

New main spotted.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

Not quite, Carl had to actually move Nirvana around and control himself and her at the same time, but Kuro follows Ken automatically. He's more like Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown or the twins from Melty Blod, where the assist character follows them around automatically.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

So I guess the point of him having 2 Persona cards is because he also has access to Koromaru and Cerberus, which are a separate gauge. So Kala-Nemi is probably some of his strongest attacks that can only be used sparingly.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am trying to figure who is voicing Ken this time. Is it just his old VA adjusting her voice so he sounds more like a 13 year old?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, that is still Megumi Ogata. I really hope the localization team doesn't try to reprise Mona Marshall, Ken could use a new VA for his new look.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

S-Alpha posted:

Aaaand they've gone and dropped the Kenomaru trailer on us:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3vWdCZ2NPA

That reminds me are there translations of these videos anywhere? I really want to know what all the newly playable characters joke titles are.

More on topic, Ken+Koromaru looks so good. Definitely adding them to my list of try hard characters alongside Junpei and Kanji.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That reminds me are there translations of these videos anywhere? I really want to know what all the newly playable characters joke titles are.

More on topic, Ken+Koromaru looks so good. Definitely adding them to my list of try hard characters alongside Junpei and Kanji.

Loosely translated, the new titles:

Yukari: The Tacky Pink Sniper
Junpei: Surprising Slugger of Futile Swing
Rise: The Fully Perverse Super Idol
Ken: The Cheeky Prime Cynical Rookie
Sho (Normal): The Criminal Pundit
Sho (Persona): The Defaced Dark Messiah

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Yes, that is still Megumi Ogata. I really hope the localization team doesn't try to reprise Mona Marshall, Ken could use a new VA for his new look.
Ah, okay then. But yeah, it would be nice of the localization team to recast Ken.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fashion Victim Sniper
Master Slugger of the Useless Swing
Super Perverted Idol
Criminal Pundit
Defaced Dark Messiah (SHO)

And you've already seen Ken's, but his title can be translated to "Smart Assed Rookie".

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Is Elizabeth still trash in this game?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

darealkooky posted:

Is Elizabeth still trash in this game?

She actually got nerfed in P4AU and was super-bottom tier. She got a few buffs in 1.1, but from the sound of it she is still Not Good. Haven't seen a tier list for 1.1 yet though.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

What the gently caress why would you nerf bottom tier characters

oh well ken and rise look cool at least, and arcsys DLC is never bad

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Typical ArcSys method of balancing. Buff some things at random, nerf some other things at random, all regardless of the current strength of the character overall.

Labrys got nerfed in P4AU too, they took away her only legit reversal. They gave it back in 1.1 at least though :I

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kanji got nerfs too, it's all good though because Yu is getting all of the buffs so he goes from second best to definitively THE BEST.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Beef Waifu posted:

Kanji got nerfs too, it's all good though because Yu is getting all of the buffs so he goes from second best to definitively THE BEST.

Eh, Kanji's nerfs don't seem that bad, though I will miss the ability to jump backwards then immediately launch into the drop down command grab while in the air.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

how is mitsuru "satan" kirijo looking?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mitsuru looks like she's more in line with most of the cast - she's still pretty good and her Shadow version is ruthless, but overall she's not head and shoulders above most characters anymore.

Naoto probably received the biggest boost relative to her P4A counterpart, with stronger traps and really good SP supers. The gun clip hurts her zoning a bit, but she got a better rushdown to compensate anyway.

Hyun.
May 8, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Mitsuru looks like she's more in line with most of the cast - she's still pretty good and her Shadow version is ruthless, but overall she's not head and shoulders above most characters anymore.

Naoto probably received the biggest boost relative to her P4A counterpart, with stronger traps and really good SP supers. The gun clip hurts her zoning a bit, but she got a better rushdown to compensate anyway.

What's the difference between Shadow Mitsuru and regular Mitsuru? Is it just having access to infinite meter?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Quoting my post on the differences of Shadow modes from the MegaTen thread.

Beef Waifu posted:

The Shadows are different versions of the playable characters, for the most part the shadows work differently on a mechanical level. Shadows have a burst mechanic where their gold and green bursts are replaced with a Berserk mode, you can activate this at any time during your combo so it works like the OMB cancel, but you need 100 SP to activate it. In Shadow Berserk mode characters have Unlimited SP for for a set time (Your SP decreases as if to act as a timer) and you can cancel specials into specials although using supers will cost time in Shadow Berserk Mode, it doesn't cost 50 SP like one normally would.

Among other differences, they have 2000 more HP, their meter carriers into the next round (This applies to SHO as well), if the character is in Shadow Berserk when the round ends they get half of their remaining meter, they get immediate access to their awakening supers, and they gain SP faster. The clincher on them though is they 20% less damage then their normal counterparts which is pretty big, but for all of the things you get as a tradeoff that is pretty manageable, especially looking at the two combo vids I posted. Also they get their Dial combos that the normal characters had in the last game, while all of the returning characters get new Dial combos.

The only characters without shadows are Liz, Sho, SHO, and Slabrys. SHO sort of functions like a shadow character, but he has his own differences from them as well where's not directly just a shadow version of Sho.

It's really just that with how meter works in Shadow mode she has more options and tons more shenanigans like other characters.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

does using shadow burst only cost 100 meter, or is it that using it for combos costs burst + 100 meter?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I worded that weirdly in the post. Basically Shadow berserk replaces your burst mechanic and you can only activate it when you have 100 SP, but you can activate it when you want to and use it similar to a OMB Cancel in the middle of your combos.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Also to make poo poo as confusing as possible, there's a Shadow version of regular Labrys which is not the same as Shadow Labrys.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
How is this game doing in Japan? I'm just wondering because I don't see any reason to play this game while Xrd exists and the latest version of Blazblu doesn't seem to have died down in popularity.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What reason is there to use a non-shadow version of a character? It doesn't seem like the trade-off is really even, shadow characters get a feature that turns their burst into a OMB that allows you to cancel specials into each other while giving you infinite SP for a short time as well as an extra 2000 health, while non-shadow characters get...20% more damage and a burst that you'll be able to activate about as often as a shadow character's berserk?

Is the 20% more damage just far more noticeable than I'm giving it credit for? I haven't seen people discuss this before so I feel like I'm missing something.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Not having the defensive benefits of a defensive Burst or of Awakening reducing damage taken when you get down that low seems to be the big things, to the point where most people weren't using Shadow characters and they had to give them general system buffs in the 1.1 patch.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Shadow characters don't get Awakening mode so they actually don't really have much more life than normal characters a lot of the time, plus they don't get the free +50SP either. Not having a Burst is also A Big Deal because big combos can do a poo poo ton of damage. 20% less damage is a whole lot less damage, their normal combos tend to be pretty anemic. Also being more dependent on SP meter for damage means using SP for other options (like RCs, GCs, SBs, and so on) is not so great.

Prior to version 1.1 they didn't get the +2000 to HP and couldn't use Awakening Supers, and they were 100% worthless across the board. I still haven't heard much about them in 1.1 so far, so I don't really know if they're significantly better or not. Some people seem to be actually using them now though, so maybe they're alright for certain characters?

If nothing else, they sure allow for some hilariously dumb combos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOjrrWmnZ3I

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 30, 2014

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh wow, I somehow managed to completely forget to factor in defensive Bursts when thinking about comparisons all this time. That'll kinda do it, yeah.

I didn't know they didn't get the damage reduction from Awakening though. How do awakening mechanics work with shadow characters, then? If Awakening doesn't reduce damage, do they still get the 50 free sp/increase sp gauge? I can definitely see how gating a character's awakening super without the damage reduction would be pretty garbage.

e: Spent too long in the post window and didn't see the above post. Welp, I guess now I know why I never saw the argument before that shadow characters were way better!

(it is because I hadn't read up on them enough and they were actually really terrible)

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 30, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also really dependent on the individual Shadow character. For instance, Shadow Yukiko generally pales in comparison to normal Yukiko because normal Yukiko has a reliable unblockable setup with her new dial combo, and Shadow Yukiko can't do much with Shadow Rampage aside from Fire Amping herself up to level 6 or 8, which is nice for getting Vermillion Bird up quickly, but isn't that amazing compared to the kind of nasty stuff Shadow Chie/Mitsuru/Naoto can do.

Some characters, like Shadow Yosuke or Teddie, also get really affected by the 20% damage loss because they were struggling a little for damage already.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Bummed there's still no Adachi. They totally have tv's in prison, he can join the fun. I also think I'd be much happier about Koromaru as a character if he wasn't shackled with Ken. Though, I loved the way shadow Labrys played and if there's any similarity there with the way Ken/Koru work together it could be fun.

Edit: Reading back a few pages it sounds like adachi has been confirmed or something? That's neat to hear.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 30, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ken: The Cheeky Prime Cynical Rookie
Wait, Koromaru doesn't have one? Worst game ever 0/10 :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Wait, Koromaru doesn't have one? Worst game ever 0/10 :colbert:

Koromaru didn't get one because it is impossible to insult him.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I would have also just excepted one that didn't insult him or "BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK" as his title which only Aegis can read.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

LibbyM posted:

Bummed there's still no Adachi. They totally have tv's in prison, he can join the fun. I also think I'd be much happier about Koromaru as a character if he wasn't shackled with Ken. Though, I loved the way shadow Labrys played and if there's any similarity there with the way Ken/Koru work together it could be fun.

Edit: Reading back a few pages it sounds like adachi has been confirmed or something? That's neat to hear.

Adachi has never been confirmed, he shows up in Yukari and Yu's arcade modes, but that's it so far.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0inw1WBwqWk

Here's Ken's trailer translated.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wait a second: The Underdogs with a Bone to Pick
All is forgiven. They are now my main.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

LibbyM posted:

He's not confirmed so much as he's in the game in some capacity. Don't write him out as playable though, the game's coming out in three months and they still have time to add him, I doubt they're gonna leave us with Ken and Koromaru as their last big announcement given how much they've hyped him, but we won't know for sure until a trailer or the game is out.

Golden Goat posted:

Wait a second: The Underdogs with a Bone to Pick
All is forgiven. They are now my main.

This is actually a really good title.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 30, 2014

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

ApplesandOranges posted:

normal Yukiko has a reliable unblockable setup with her new dial combo

I am unbelievably excited for it to not be impossible to do damage with yukiko.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

So who are your mains and how good are you at playing them?

I want to say Aigis is my main but I really suck with her so I end up using a high-tier character like Chie just to have a chance of winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got schooled by someone the other day using Yukiko. I actually managed to win a match as Yosuke, so probably him unless the new additions or shadow types are better.

• Locked thread