Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jabu posted:

It's normal but very annoying. It's a bug(?) that's been in the game since attaching was first added.

I'm only actually at war with 399 of those men.

I think it's working as intended, and actually quite realistic. In all the cases this happened to me, the guy I attacked and the "neutral" troops that fought with him were allies in another war. And in this case, you cannot just attack the camp of the guy you are at war with, all his allies will help out because they are one army.

So in this screenshot it looks like the Karlings are allied against somebody else. They would not just let you kill the troops of their brother, of course they join in even if there is no formal war between your nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does it matter if my capital is outside of my primary Kingdom title?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jabu posted:

It's normal but very annoying. It's a bug(?) that's been in the game since attaching was first added.

I'm only actually at war with 399 of those men.

Wrong. You were only at war with 399 of those men now. You were at war with the owner of the rest of them next.

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

So I'm pretty inexperienced with CK2 and recently decided to try a Venoce 1066 game. It's going great so far as of 1158, I dominated the first crusade into Jerusalem, and from there managed to holy war my way through Sinai down to Alexandria and the duchy of Arabia due to the Fatimids being Shia. I'm finally starting to have conflicts with the Seljuks and Byzantium, which I'm narrowly winning due to my utterly obscene gold income of somewhere near 50 gold/month. I control all of the trade posts in the region surrounding Venice itself, and for some reason the rival families haven't managed to set up more than 1 or 2 each. I would post screen caps but I'm phone posting right now.

Anyway, I'm mostly wondering if there's anything I should be thinking about regarding moving my capital or holdings. Currently I hold Venice itself, obviously, as well as the duchy of Cairo and the coastal counties just north of it. I'm basically trying to decide between strengthening my hold in the Middle East against the Seljuks and taking more land in the patchwork of counties around Italy and de jure Croatia (now held primarily by the Byzantines). Going toe-to-toe with either is tough but doable, but the Byzantines are stronger and I can't declare holy wars against them. I'm mostly concerned with the Byzantine incursion into Europe, they're going strong and the revolts they've had don't seem to be slowing them down.

This is my first really successful run, and I'm absolutely in love. Making so much money that you start declaring wars and hiring mercenaries just to burn off some gold is pretty awesome.

Edit: I also own both the knights Templar and hospitaller. They're awesome and are basically why I've taken most of Egypt. I can easily seize their holdings (with the intrigue decision for 1000 piety cost), but I don't think I want to. Is there something I'm missing about that, because losing access to an essentially free holy order doesn't seem worth getting a castle.

Occupy Sesame Street! fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 29, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

protastic posted:

Edit: I also own both the knights Templar and hospitaller. They're awesome and are basically why I've taken most of Egypt. I can easily seize their holdings (with the intrigue decision for 1000 piety cost), but I don't think I want to. Is there something I'm missing about that, because losing access to an essentially free holy order doesn't seem worth getting a castle.

Speaking of vassalized holy orders, if someone else has enfiefed them will they ever be available to hire? England holds like 3 of 4 of the orders in my current game and it looks like they're never actually on the market.

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

Speaking of vassalized holy orders, if someone else has enfiefed them will they ever be available to hire? England holds like 3 of 4 of the orders in my current game and it looks like they're never actually on the market.

It looks like it? During the crusade for Aragon, which I joined late due to a war with the Byzantines, I wasn't able to hire my own vassal holy orders because they were already in the field. So unless they can join crusades independently then yes, someone else can hire them.

Edit: I have been educated and this post is wrong.

Occupy Sesame Street! fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 29, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

protastic posted:

It looks like it? During the crusade for Aragon, which I joined late due to a war with the Byzantines, I wasn't able to hire my own vassal holy orders because they were already in the field. So unless they can join crusades independently then yes, someone else can hire them.

They definitely always do join the crusades independently, just like any other Christian ruler can do vassal or independent. You cannot hire vassalised holy orders that's half the point of vassalising them in the first place

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

As Caliph, how do I call for a Jihad?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Bold Robot posted:

As Caliph, how do I call for a Jihad?

I think you need at least 500 or 1000 piety, I can't quite remember which.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

DrSunshine posted:

I think you need at least 500 or 1000 piety, I can't quite remember which.

Makes sense. Where does the option actually show up? Is it just a CB or something else?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Bold Robot posted:

Makes sense. Where does the option actually show up? Is it just a CB or something else?

It's just a CB. It'll be under "Jihad for [Kingdom]" when you declare war.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'm not sure what to think of my current game. I started in England with the plan of making a strong catholic Britannia and joining all holy wars, chase the Muslims out of Hispania, etc. Except the Sunni lost half of their land in Spain and converted to Catholicism in like 100 years. Then they went on the Christianize all of northern Africa. The Byzantine Empire converted (probably because of me marrying my catholic sister to the emperor) and has won nearly every single war against the Muslims such that the year is 1240 and the crusades has not been triggered.

I've been entertaining myself with taking every single important title from the Karlings though so it worked out fine :getin:.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Brandfarlig posted:

I've been entertaining myself with taking every single important title from the Karlings though so it worked out fine :getin:.

You're doing God's work son. I'm proud of you.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Brandfarlig posted:

I'm doing a similar thing in my Umayyad game, just going to Europe. My current guy just hit 16. Intrigue is his lowest stat, at 15, his Diplomacy is 25, and not six months before his birthday the Invasion for Italy was successful.
Even earlier than that, I found out that the Kingdom of West Francia changes to Kingdom of France if it's not held by a Karling.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
It's kind of a reward for all your hard work. The same thing happens to East Francia. It becomes Germany.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Nothing in this game will ever be as viscerally satisfying as watching the last Karling die unmarried and penniless in some German count's court.

Actually, no, I only learned about it a couple years later, he was so irrelevant that the extinction of the House that once ruled Mega Francia wasn't even a blip on the radar.

Raserys fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 30, 2014

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Joke's on you, I've been working to restore the Karlings to their rightful place as rulers of Europe.

But not the French Karlings. gently caress them, there's a reason why Charlemange wanted Old High German spoken in his court. :colbert:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

It's kind of a reward for all your hard work. The same thing happens to East Francia. It becomes Germany.

drat I was wondering what East Francia would be, I feel like an idiot.
Speaking of Francias, I have a claimant to Lotharingia in my court. Would giving him any county in de jure France/West Francia (I have the kingdom title) make him a vassal of mine after I press his claim on the kingdom?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
He would become a king himself, you have to be an emperor to vassalize a king.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rumda posted:

They definitely always do join the crusades independently, just like any other Christian ruler can do vassal or independent. You cannot hire vassalised holy orders that's half the point of vassalising them in the first place

How do you vassalise a Holy Order? I've tried it with the Zealots and never succeeded even though half their bloody troops must be members of my dynasty by now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Giving them a barony seems to work, generally. Especially if it's their only holding. You just have to get rid of the distant realm penalty.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Hamburger Test posted:

He would become a king himself, you have to be an emperor to vassalize a king.

Oh right, I AM an Emperor. So if he's landed in my empire, and I press his claim, he doesn't go away, right?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Serperoth posted:

Oh right, I AM an Emperor. So if he's landed in my empire, and I press his claim, he doesn't go away, right?

Correct

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

It's crazy how un-fun the decadence mechanic is. I get that it's supposed to counterbalance the many advantages Muslims have, but it's so tedious. It's not that hard to get around it just by waging constant holy wars and jihads, but it would be nice to be able to chill out now and again.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

but it would be nice to be able to chill out now and again.

Usually you can, the only times I've had an issue with decadence after the revamp is when I was playing an Ibadi merchant republic, because I had a million dudes just chilling in my mansion.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

SeaTard posted:

Usually you can, the only times I've had an issue with decadence after the revamp is when I was playing an Ibadi merchant republic, because I had a million dudes just chilling in my mansion.

The problem I'm having is that my empire is massive so there are like 500 living members of my dynasty floating around in various duke- and count-level courts. Multiple dudes go decadent in the average year and it's a huge pain in the rear end. For a while I was handing out a lot of county and duchy titles to members of my dynasty since decadence has to do with unlanded male dynasty members, but now I am thinking this was a mistake since it has meant lots of uncontrolled breeding by dynasty members in other courts.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bold Robot posted:

The problem I'm having is that my empire is massive so there are like 500 living members of my dynasty floating around in various duke- and count-level courts. Multiple dudes go decadent in the average year and it's a huge pain in the rear end. For a while I was handing out a lot of county and duchy titles to members of my dynasty since decadence has to do with unlanded male dynasty members, but now I am thinking this was a mistake since it has meant lots of uncontrolled breeding by dynasty members in other courts.

Yeah you made a bad choice

Imprisonment and Ramadan are the correct ones

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

WYA posted:

How do I deal with the Ramadan "release prisoners" event choice? Do I just bite the bullet and take the 1% hit, or is there something I'm missing?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

WYA posted:

Yeah you made a bad choice

So how do unlanded male dynasty members play into decadence? I know that landing guys lower decadence (by a tiny amount), but is there more? The tooltips have all this vague song and dance about how unlanded male dynasty members affect decadence, but it's not at all clear how. Is the tooltips' emphasis on unlanded dynasty members a holdover from however decadence used to work? I feel like I was kind of led astray by the tooltips here, since by landing a ton of dynasty members I have actually made my decadence problems worse.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Bold Robot posted:

So how do unlanded male dynasty members play into decadence? I know that landing guys lower decadence (by a tiny amount), but is there more? The tooltips have all this vague song and dance about how unlanded male dynasty members affect decadence, but it's not at all clear how. Is the tooltips' emphasis on unlanded dynasty members a holdover from however decadence used to work? I feel like I was kind of led astray by the tooltips here, since by landing a ton of dynasty members I have actually made my decadence problems worse.

The overall number of unlanded men in your dynasty increases decadence. The problem is when you land them, they become even more decadent, and you get a tyranny penalty if you lock them up again

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^That's not true anymore?

Bold Robot posted:

That's true. Unlanded male dynasty members used to generate decadence, but now only male relatives with the "decadent" trait itself are generating decadence. I think you get a flat reduction to decadence for landing family members, but it's basically never worth it.

Playing Muslims still means that you should avoid to give most of your realm's titles to relatives. You can have a few side branches, but any more and it will be difficult to manage decadence. Still the system is vastly superior to it's previous version. It's just not for those who are addicted to spread their dynasty as far as possible, which is apparently a significant of people in this thread.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Well that's a bummer, landing a bunch of other branches has had basically the opposite effect that the tooltips made it seem like it would.

There's basically no way I can get out of this without incurring massive tyranny by revoking titles of my relatives, right?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is there some new gameplay mechanic causing vassals to become independent in Catholic realms without an independence war? Because I've seen Flanders become independent in two different games now, which I'd never seen once before. And, in my latest game, the HRE randomly just gave up all of their Italian holdings.

Is the AI just giving into independence factions now? Because that could be what's causing it, while remaining completely invisible to me as an outsider.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
I've had an odd inheritance issue. I'm playing as the reformed Roman Empire. There was a norse adventurer who launched a successful invasion of Africa. I managed to matrilineally marry one of my Emperor's daughters to the heir (there may have been some stabbing). I'm now playing as that Emperor's son. The Kingdom of Africa was held by a woman of my dynasty with her heir being another woman of my dynasty (the Duchess of Tripolitana). Africa had an independence revolt with the heir becoming an independent Duchess. She accepted my offer of vassalisation. However, on inheritance she became an independent Queen of Africa. What is the reason behind this? Is it because Africa is not de-jure mine?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DStecks posted:

Is there some new gameplay mechanic causing vassals to become independent in Catholic realms without an independence war? Because I've seen Flanders become independent in two different games now, which I'd never seen once before. And, in my latest game, the HRE randomly just gave up all of their Italian holdings.

Is the AI just giving into independence factions now? Because that could be what's causing it, while remailing completely invisible to me as an outsider.

The AI will always give in to factions that it doesn't can't fight its the core of the saffarid takeover strategy for the Karen's And which was why I had to invade saeland about 5 times my ironman Britannia game my wife \mother kept giving it up.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 30, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Bold Robot posted:

I'm up to over 950 living dynasty members, it does get rather unwieldy though :ohdear:

I'm thinking maybe decadence gain should scale based on number of decadent characters vs dynasty size.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rumda posted:

The AI will always give in to factions that it doesn't can't fight its the core of the saffarid takeover strategy for the Karen's And which was why I had to invade saeland about 5 times my ironman Britannia game my wife \mother kept giving it up.

But they probably could have squashed the revolt, is the weird part. I've seen dozens of Italian independence revolts before, and never once saw one succeed. AFAIK there haven't been any significant levy tweaks since the big one, and the HRE wasn't exhausted from a big war (even though they usually get into a war with France over Gent, somehow that just didn't happen in this game).

I mean, I'm not complaining, I'm just curious as to why/how exactly this changed, or if it changed, since I haven't heard anybody else mention it here.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Darkrenown posted:

I'm up to over 950 living dynasty members, it does get rather unwieldy though :ohdear:

I'm thinking maybe decadence gain should scale based on number of decadent characters vs dynasty size.

I'd be fine if it the vassals would always go for Independence on a Decadence invasion. In my current Persia game I've watched the Umayaids and Tulunids get destroyed by decadence invasions twice, but their realm remained the same size. (Granted not that I cannot take them on at this point, it's just annoying to see them collapse and nothing comes of it.)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Landing them may help with decadence for a short time, but once they're landed, their potential fertility increases dramatically and you have a lot less control over them and their family, so over the long term it'll spiral out of control.

DStecks posted:

But they probably could have squashed the revolt, is the weird part. I've seen dozens of Italian independence revolts before, and never once saw one succeed. AFAIK there haven't been any significant levy tweaks since the big one, and the HRE wasn't exhausted from a big war (even though they usually get into a war with France over Gent, somehow that just didn't happen in this game).

I mean, I'm not complaining, I'm just curious as to why/how exactly this changed, or if it changed, since I haven't heard anybody else mention it here.

In terms of sheer levies, Italy is one of the most powerful kingdoms on the map. If enough Italian lords were on board, I can definitely see the HRE blinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Gonna start a Byzantine game from the Old Gods start, anything in particular I should make sure to take advantage of or avoid?

• Locked thread