Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Boz0r posted:

How can I use more than 2 GB memory in Windows?

If you're on a 64-bit OS, compile your program for 64-bit mode, make sure the relevant variables are 64-bit.

If you're on a 32-bit OS, or can't compile your program for 64-bit, there are two possible hacks:

1) On a 32-bit OS, you can change a Windows startup option that will change the address space from a 2G OS/2G User apps split to a 1G OS/3G User apps split. Google for it.

2) If you're on a 64-bit OS, but the program is 32-bit, you might be able to use up to 4G of memory. Depending on the environment, some compiler/linker settings might need to be changed (/LARGEADDRESSAWARE or similar).

If you give more details, it may be possible to give more specific advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I hadn't seen that you had to specifically select a 64-bit platform :D

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

This is probably a simple question, but I'm rusty with C++ and my Google skills are failing me. I have a data file that I want to read into a two dimensional array. The format of the file is:

number of rows
number of columns
x1 x2> x3
y1 y2> y3
z1 z2> z3

and so on. I need this in a format such that accessing (0,0) gives me x1, (1,2) gives me z2 and so on. Any ideas on how to get started on doing this?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

UnfurledSails posted:

This is probably a simple question, but I'm rusty with C++ and my Google skills are failing me. I have a data file that I want to read into a two dimensional array. The format of the file is:

number of rows
number of columns
x1 x2> x3
y1 y2> y3
z1 z2> z3

and so on. I need this in a format such that accessing (0,0) gives me x1, (1,2) gives me z2 and so on. Any ideas on how to get started on doing this?

I had to do this for tiling in a dumb little game I made recently. My code was roughly:

code:
inf >> rows;
inf >> columns;
for (int i = 0; i < rows; i++)
{
    for (int j = 0; j < columns; j++)
    {
        inf >> nice2DArray[i][j];
    }
}

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
Are the following two lines of code the same thing?
code:
int* a = &b;
int *a = &b;

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Newf posted:

code:
int* a = &b;
int *a = &b;

Yes. This is also equivalent:

code:
int * a = &b;

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
Great, thanks.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Newf posted:

code:
int* a = &b;
int *a = &b;

Essentially yes. Some people recommend using the style of the first line. These people are wrong, because syntactically the '*' binds to the identifier, not the type. The following does not declare two pointers:
code:
int* p, q;

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Or better yet, don't do that and stick to the other style.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

just use std::add_pointer<int>::type a, b;

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"
Just use template<typename T> using ptr = T*;

ptr<int> a, b; is literally impossible to mess up.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

The Laplace Demon posted:

ptr<int> a, b; is literally impossible to mess up.

It also lets you easily define function pointers. ptr<int(int)> f

Altimor
Dec 11, 2013
Or you could just declare a pointer like a normal person. If I saw that code I'd think the guy who wrote it is a complete weirdo. While that function pointer is short, it doesn't look like a function pointer at first glance.

Malcolm XML posted:

If you're using C++, use std::vector or std::array.

The STL containers always allocate space for elements on the heap. Fixed arrays on the stack can be a better choice if you're dealing with code that runs often. Nevermind std::array doesn't. If you do choose to use STL containers std::vector, use the reserve method to minimize heap allocation and moving/copying.

Altimor fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 30, 2014

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

Altimor posted:

Or you could just declare a pointer like a normal person. If I saw that code I'd think the guy who wrote it is a complete weirdo. While that function pointer is short, it doesn't look like a function pointer at first glance.

Where's your sense of adventure? It looks like a function pointer as much as unique_ptr<int(int)> and shared_ptr<int(int)> do. But I'm probably corrupted from extended exposure to function<R(A...)>.

Also, it makes writing functions returning function pointers a breeze. Compare the following:
C++ code:
bool (*foo(int bar, int baz))(const char*, const char*);
void (*(*quux(int a, const char* b))(int, int))(const char*, const char*) { return &foo; }

ptr<bool(const char*, const char*)> foo(int bar, int baz);
ptr<ptr<void(const char*, const char*)>(int, int)> quux(int a, const char* b) { return &foo; }
ptr<T> is more verbose, but I think the uninitiated to the horrors of function pointer syntax actually stand a chance at writing a function definition correctly.

Of course, using callback_t = void(*)(const char*, const char*); or even typedef void (*callback_t)(const char*, const char*); is the idiomatic solution that everybody should use when forced at gunpoint to do this sort of thing.

The Laplace Demon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 30, 2014

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Altimor posted:

The STL containers always allocate space for elements on the heap. Fixed arrays on the stack can be a better choice if you're dealing with code that runs often. If you do choose to use STL containers, use the reserve method to minimize heap allocation.

The reserve method's benefit is avoiding the excessive copying/moving, not the heap allocation which is negligible.

Repeated heap allocation in the same code wouldn't be expensive anyway if you're doing the same small allocation/free over and over again. Unless you have a terrible malloc implementation.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Altimor posted:

The STL containers always allocate space for elements on the heap.
std::array doesn't.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Where's your sense of adventure? It looks like a function pointer as much as unique_ptr<int(int)> and shared_ptr<int(int)> do. But I'm probably corrupted from extended exposure to function<R(A...)>.

Also, it makes writing functions returning function pointers a breeze. Compare the following:
C++ code:
void (*(*quux(int a, const char* b))(int, int))(const char*, const char*) { return &foo; }

ptr<ptr<void(const char*, const char*)>(int, int)> quux(int a, const char* b) { return &foo; }
ptr<T> is more verbose, but I think the uninitiated to the horrors of function pointer syntax actually stand a chance at writing a function definition correctly.

You could also use std::reference_wrapper<T(Args...)> :v:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

SAHChandler posted:

It also lets you easily define function pointers. ptr<int(int)> f

This method sucks, no opportunities to showcase my hard-earned function pointer type parsing ability.

Altimor
Dec 11, 2013

C++ code:

Of course, using callback_t = void(*)(const char*, const char*); or even typedef void (*callback_t)(const char*, const char*); is the idiomatic solution that everybody should use when forced at gunpoint to do this sort of thing.

I forgot the STL pointer classes even existed. When I use C++ it's more like C with classes, so I'm probably the weirdo here.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
you keep using that word weirdo like youre not posting on an internet comedy forum about your pointer declaration opinions

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

shrughes posted:

Repeated heap allocation in the same code wouldn't be expensive anyway if you're doing the same small allocation/free over and over again. Unless you have a terrible malloc implementation.
Depends on what you consider "expensive" mostly. It's pretty easy to come up with examples of pulling a small allocation/free out of a loop making the loop twice as fast, which makes the allocation either very expensive (if you're looping over enough things for its speed to be relevant in any way) or completely trivial (if not).

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Vanadium posted:

just use std::add_pointer<int>::type a, b;

See all you fine dandies so proud, so cock-sure, prancin' aboot bein' able to use C++11. I'm still waiting for the day I can finally write auto butt = fart(); :(

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

Zopotantor posted:

See all you fine dandies so proud, so cock-sure, prancin' aboot bein' able to use C++11. I'm still waiting for the day I can finally write auto butt = fart(); :(

I can't help with lacking auto, but here's a full implementation of add_pointer for C++03:
C++ code:
template<typename T> struct remove_reference     { typedef T type; };
template<typename T> struct remove_reference<T&> { typedef T type; };
template<typename T> struct add_pointer {
    typedef typename remove_reference<T>::type *type;
};
C++03 is no excuse for not having type traits in your toolbox. Modern C++ Design was written 13 years ago.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
I'm not good with sarcasm over the internet, are people really saying this is better than the C pointer syntax?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

It doesn't have the "int * this_is_pointer, this_isn't;" problem but obviously the std::add_pointer<>::type variant is too verbose. I think ptr<> is worth it at least for function pointers or other weird cases, if not for int main(int argc, ptr<ptr<char>>).

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

Edison was a dick posted:

I'm not good with sarcasm over the internet, are people really saying this is better than the C pointer syntax?

ptr<T> is arguably better for function pointers. A (weak) case could be made for ptr<T> elsewhere for the sake of keeping things consistent, and std::add_pointer<T>::type has its place in writing generic library code. If you're writing data member or function member pointers, I think you're just hosed.

I'm genuinely a fan of observer_ptr from MNMLSTC Core. It has the interface of a smart pointer, and it explicitly tells the user that they aren't responsible for freeing the memory. My personal view is that raw pointers don't have a place in modern C++ (11 and later, 03 with boost, etc) unless there's an explicit convention that raw pointers are observers.

Edit:

SAHChandler posted:

Thanks for the plug :)

Didn't even register your username. Thanks for the awesome library!

Everybody check MNMLSTC Core out. It's absolute top-notch library code implementing standard library additions found in various proposals for C++14 and beyond. There's even (AFAIK) complete docs here. A great drop-in for any project.

The Laplace Demon fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 1, 2014

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Edison was a dick posted:

C++ is pretty much an irony-free zone at this point.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Does anyone have any good resources for learning CMake or Make files?

I'm finding the tools to compile C/C++ programs harder than the actual language. The only good experiences with compiling has been with CMake and Make, but I'm trying to move beyond simple programs into more complex ones but the documentation for both just isn't the best :(

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

I'm genuinely a fan of observer_ptr from MNMLSTC Core

Thanks for the plug :)

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

I'm finding the tools to compile C/C++ programs harder than the actual language. The only good experiences with compiling has been with CMake and Make, but I'm trying to move beyond simple programs into more complex ones but the documentation for both just isn't the best :(
If you have a specific CMake problem then you could try the CMake mailing list, or this thread.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Lord Windy posted:

If you want to learn how to make a plain old Makefile, the official GNU documentation is actually pretty good.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There are various slides for CMake online which are Ok introductions:

http://www.bogotobogo.com/cplusplus/files/cmake/CMake-tutorial-pdf.pdf

I tend to find many OSS projects go over crazy with their configuration as they don't understand it that well either. I have a project with both Scons, CMake, and Automake if you want to compare. It's mainly just building a library, I found adding unit testing builds really wanting, Autoconf is spotty.

The modern high level tools: CMake, Scons, etc, need to update frequently with modern compilers which can be quite annoying. MSVC support is quite challenging as CMake only just received minimal toolset support which is only mandatory for XP support on MSVC2012 which is kind of moot now but it doesn't support the paradigm everywhere.

MSVC toolsets are Microsoft's preferred mechanism of using the latest build system with older compiler engines: they explicitly recommend building VC90 projects with VC120 for example instead of VC90 which most developers would go with. This would be OK if Microsoft actually regularly tested, shipped fixes, and didn't deliberately break things:

Microsoft posted:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.Cpp.Platform.targets(58,5): error MSB8032: The Platform or PlatformToolset is not available from a 64bit environment. Consider building from 32bit environment instead.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Thanks guys.

That CMake tutorial isn't half bad. I'm already OK at Make, so I might keep trying to learn the two of them and just pick the one I like more at the end. I primarily use Macs so I guess it doesn't matter which one I end up liking :)

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
So you know, CMake can output XCode project files as well as Makefiles, which makes it pretty handy for when you want to use some of Apple's tools (e.g Instruments) on your code.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
Hi again. I'm really bad at this... The Sensor.h file:

code:
#pragma once
#include "resource.h"
#include <vector>

class DeviceEnumerator {
public:
	static vector<CString> GetSensorPorts();

};
the Sensor.cpp file:

code:
#include "Sensor.h"
#include <SetupAPI.h>

int _tmain(int argc, TCHAR* argv[], TCHAR* envp[])
{
	vector<CString> ports = DeviceEnumerator::GetSensorPorts();
	return 0;
}

vector<CString> DeviceEnumerator::GetSensorPorts()
{ 
	return *new vector<CString>;
}

and the errors:

code:
Error	1	error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '<'						(.h)
Error	2	error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int	(.h)
Error	3	error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int	(.h)
Error	4	error C2238: unexpected token(s) preceding ';'							(.h)
Error	5	error C2039: 'GetSensorPorts' : is not a member of 'DeviceEnumerator'				(.cpp)
Error	6	error C3861: 'GetSensorPorts': identifier not found						(.cpp)
Error	7	error C2039: 'GetSensorPorts' : is not a member of 'DeviceEnumerator'				(.cpp)
	8	IntelliSense: #error directive: Please use the /MD switch for _AFXDLL builds	
	9	IntelliSense: vector is not a template	
	10	IntelliSense: declaration is incompatible with "<error-type> DeviceEnumerator::GetSensorPorts()"

Mousing over 'vector' in the method declaration from Sensor.h shows 'class std::vector<CString, std::allocator<CString>>', but mousing over GetSensorPorts in the method definition in Sensor.cpp shows 'Error: declaration is incompatible with "<error-type> DeviceEnumerator::GetSensorPorts()". It looks like the .cpp file doesn't understand the declaration in the .h file?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

vector should be std::vector because it is in the std namespace, not the global namespace.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

vector should be std::vector because it is in the std namespace, not the global namespace.

Thanks. Why was visual studio able to pick up the correct class (on my mouseover) when the compiler wasn't?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

IntelliSense actually uses a completely different C++ parser than the compiler, and probably also searches every namespace simultaneously for the word you're hovering over.

(Ideally, the editor would pass the entire source file and the mouse cursor position to IntelliSense and the match would be completely unambiguous, but if it just passes the text under the cursor without any context, there's no way to know which namespace is relevant.)

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Newf posted:

code:
vector<CString> DeviceEnumerator::GetSensorPorts()
{ 
	return *new vector<CString>;
}

Don't do that. Really don't do that.

What you do here is allocate an object on the heap, dereference the new object, construct a copy of that heap-allocated object on the stack, then return that. The heap-allocated object still exists, but there are no references to it. You have a memory leak.

What you should actually do:
C++ code:
std::vector<CString> DeviceEnumerator::GetSensorPorts()
{
	std::vector<CString> ports;
	ports.push_back("stuff");
	return ports;
}
Note the complete absence of the "new" keyword: No (explicit) heap allocations are being done at all. A vector object is allocated on the stack, something is added to it, and then it's returned. The return might cause a copy to be made, but a smart compiler can do optimizations on that.