Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
Excalibur in general was amazing. Remember the one where they were in the timeline where the Nazis won WWII, and the members of Excalibur were all Nazis, and Kitty Pryde was...oh wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Captain Britain is one of my favourite tertiary X-Men characters, partly because I love the Alan Moore stories, and partly because I often imagine him as the superhero version of Jacob Rees-Mogg.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Who is the blue lass?
Kymri

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

laertes22 posted:

Excalibur in general was amazing. Remember the one where they were in the timeline where the Nazis won WWII, and the members of Excalibur were all Nazis, and Kitty Pryde was...oh wait.

I like the one where they find a world which is completely controlled by two guys sitting at computers constantly trying to write stories that top the other's; one of them is Claremont and the other is Byrne and they're both surrounded by all their favourite fetish characters.

Apparently a commentary on how Claremont had done the previous year's big crossover event (Inferno) while Byrne had done that year's event (Acts of Vengeance).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, why was Rachael Grey always drawn to look like a stereotypical lesbian in the 80s and 90s?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

twistedmentat posted:

So, why was Rachael Grey always drawn to look like a stereotypical lesbian in the 80s and 90s?
Everyone in the future is a lesbian.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

You are aware that she was created by and written by Chris Claremont?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

twistedmentat posted:

She came from a dystopian future.

A way to show dystopian is to have the women all look really butch.

Lesbians are stereotyped as all being butch.

There ya go.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

You are aware that she was created by and written by Chris Claremont?

I would think if that was the case, she'd be wearing something akin to Jean's Black Queen outfit. Though if I remember her flash backs to the future as a hunter she was pretty much wearing a gimpsuit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I would think if that was the case, she'd be wearing something akin to Jean's Black Queen outfit. Though if I remember her flash backs to the future as a hunter she was pretty much wearing a gimpsuit.

Most of the time in the 80s she is wearing that gimpsuit. Good old Claremont.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Excalibur had the best covers

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

Excalibur had the best covers

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

In this issue: Galactus destroys an alternate Earth because he decides it is too silly to be allowed to exist.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If I could only take one box of comics to a desert island it would mostly be full of Excalibur.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So Excalibur did what Exiles was about years before? You got me; is the series collected as Essentials or just TPB?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

radlum posted:

So Excalibur did what Exiles was about years before? You got me; is the series collected as Essentials or just TPB?
Sort of. The book was a mix of X-Men-style stories with a heavy dose of Marvel UK's Captain Britain, which is where the multiverse elements came from. The Cross-Time Caper was a bit 12-part storyline where the team were hopping uncontrollably through parallel Britains, so yes that story was like a pre-cursor to Exiles. Unfortunately, Davis left for a bit and Claremont got busy so around issue #20 there starts to be a bunch of fill-ins by other writers. Claremont comes back for 3 issues and doesn't really wrap anything up, but then Davis returns about 10 issues later as writer/artist, and picks up dangling threads from his and Claremont's run on it. The early stuff really has a sense of kind of wacky fun about it, almost with a British sensibility I suppose.

There is a series of Excalibur Classic tbps, no Essential volumes for it though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Marvel really needs to get off their butts and make some Excalibur and New Mutants omnibuses.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Codependent Poster posted:

Marvel really needs to get off their butts and make some Excalibur and New Mutants omnibuses.

At the rate they are going, all of New Mutants will be collected in Omnibuses with other series.

X-factor Vol. 1 too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

Sort of. The book was a mix of X-Men-style stories with a heavy dose of Marvel UK's Captain Britain, which is where the multiverse elements came from.

Claremont created Captain Britain, but the stories Davis did Alan Moore and Jamie Delano after he stopped writing him are apparently his favourite things ever and he went out of his way to integrate a lot of that into the mainstream Marvel continuity (since I think it was clear at the time whether Marvel UK material was "official" or not).

According to this article (Ctrl+F "Alan Moore"), "Mutant Massacre" and "Fall of the Mutants" were going to use bits of Moore and Davis's "Jaspers' Warp" storyline, and I've read elsewhere that it was going to be a big crossover (with the effects of Jaspers' reality warp showing up in other Marvel titles) and Marvel's answer to COIE.

This is why Jaspers appears at Magneto's trial in UXM #200 (despite having been killed at the end of Moore's run), then just sort of disappears after that.

CharlestheHammer posted:

At the rate they are going, all of New Mutants will be collected in Omnibuses with other series.

X-factor Vol. 1 too.

I think a fair amount of that is pretty well-collected thanks to the crossover collections, though it goes without saying there's quite a few gaps.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

but then Davis returns about 10 issues later as writer/artist, and picks up dangling threads from his and Claremont's run on it.
I've said it before, but the Alan Davis run on Exalibur is one of the most beautiful runs of comics, period.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

I've said it before, but the Alan Davis run on Exalibur is one of the most beautiful runs of comics, period.

Alan Davis will be my favorite artist until the end of time. He has an artistic skill that few artists have ever come close to grasping. I've never seen anyone utilize negative space the way he has. And his ability to draw larger than life, believable heroes is unmatched.

Plus there's this

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

Most of the time in the 80s she is wearing that gimpsuit. Good old Claremont.

You know, I thought she wore like an 80s workout outfit, but that was Rogue. Yea, she totally wore the gimpsuit going back and looking at those issues.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Alan Davis will be my favorite artist until the end of time. He has an artistic skill that few artists have ever come close to grasping. I've never seen anyone utilize negative space the way he has. And his ability to draw larger than life, believable heroes is unmatched.

The first Avengers comics I ever read were the Busiek/Davis issues where Diablo turns the population of a Greek village into Hulks. I have since read many great Avengers stories by many great artists, but there's still few to equal that one.

I also like that he draws happy characters who smile a lot:

He's one of the very few artists who can draw a good smiling Batman:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

The first Avengers comics I ever read were the Busiek/Davis issues where Diablo turns the population of a Greek village into Hulks. I have since read many great Avengers stories by many great artists, but there's still few to equal that one.

I also like that he draws happy characters who smile a lot:

He's one of the very few artists who can draw a good smiling Batman:

You should check out both JLA the Nail minis and Superboy's Legion. Few artists can juggle large casts as well as he can.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've read The Nail (Evil Jimmy Olsen as the Eradicator! Amish Superman! Splash pages galore! Flash vibrates AMAZO's brain out his head! Full-on Silver Age stuff; it's great) but I've not read Superboy's Legion.

I liked ClanDestine a lot. I must check out the crossover annuals that came out a couple of years ago.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

laertes22 posted:

That was such a hosed up timeline and Excalibur was not going to put up with that bullshit.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Alan Davis is okay but I actually don't like the way he draws faces. It's always super-distracting for me. Also ClanDestine is terrible.

Excalibur still ruled, though.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

CharlestheHammer posted:

She came from a dystopian future.

A way to show dystopian is to have the women all look really butch.

Lesbians are stereotyped as all being butch.

There ya go.

I kind of like that she's always bad a bit of a butch look though which sets her apart from most other female heroes. That period during the Claremont/Davis Uncanny run from like ten years back where she was running around in short skirts and looking "sexy" was lame.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rirse posted:

Since the Age of Apocalypse is on sale right now at Comixology for a dollar per issue, I am wondering which issues are worth grabbing from it. So far it looking like Alpha & Omega along with Astonishing X-Men are the main parts of it, but any of the side stuff like X-Calibur, Gambit, X-Man, etc are worth grabbing?

X-man and X-calibre are my faves but to get the full story, you really gotta get em all. Its 90s as gently caress but the story holds well.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man, AoA was really painful as a kid with ten buck a week allowance. I was skipping lunch to buy comics and I still only was able to get one or two issues of the side stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rick posted:

Man, AoA was really painful as a kid with ten buck a week allowance. I was skipping lunch to buy comics and I still only was able to get one or two issues of the side stuff.

It's definitely not the only reason, but the fact that kids can't afford to buy their own comics is a huge factor in kids not buying comics. I got into Spider-Man when it had as many titles as X-men and if it weren't for fact that my dad foolishly bought into the comic boom there's no way my parents would have been willing to pay that much a month to keep up with them (Clone Saga).

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's kind of a wash, though, because so many comics nowadays are massively kid-unfriendly and not really kept separate from the kid-friendly ones in comics stores that a kid buying comics for him/herself might end up picking out something like Saga or Punisher MAX and causing no small amount of parental uproar.

Seriously, I kinda take it for granted being a 19-year-old but my friendly neighborhood comics shop had Saga right next to a Transformers comic in the indie section. Definitely a situation that requires either very attentive comic shop owners or parental accompaniment (in which case why not just have the parents buy the drat things anyways).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's kind of a wash, though, because so many comics nowadays are massively kid-unfriendly and not really kept separate from the kid-friendly ones in comics stores that a kid buying comics for him/herself might end up picking out something like Saga or Punisher MAX and causing no small amount of parental uproar.

Seriously, I kinda take it for granted being a 19-year-old but my friendly neighborhood comics shop had Saga right next to a Transformers comic in the indie section. Definitely a situation that requires either very attentive comic shop owners or parental accompaniment (in which case why not just have the parents buy the drat things anyways).

Well good shops will have employees point kids towards appropriate comics they'd like. Rhyno had a great story about selling a little girl Ms. Marvel, She-hulk and a third comic I cant remember at a loss (or at least less than retail) just to encourage young readers.

I do think a good comic shop should have a shelf for the 12ish and under that's prominent.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
My LCBS has a sign that says unaccompanied children under 16 are flat out not welcome in the shop. I guess that's one way to solve that problem.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

anticake posted:

My LCBS has a sign that says unaccompanied children under 16 are flat out not welcome in the shop. I guess that's one way to solve that problem.

tbf, a shame though it may be, there's a lot of comics out there that you probably don't want small kids just grabbing off the shelf without a parent around to screen what they're reading (cough half of DC's current output cough). Although 16 does seem like a little bit of a high bar to set.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

anticake posted:

They are solving the wrong problem.

Don't get me wrong, the other issue with kids is that they will steal in a loving heartbeat, so I understand having that sign up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

anticake posted:

Man, when I was a kid, there was a whole shelf of '90s "bad girl" comics in the back of the store that I shouldn't have been allowed to get close to, let alone read. I wouldn't want to run the risk of some ten-year-old finding the Avatar books.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My local comic shop just has an off-limits adult section in the back and puts all the kid stuff towards the front and it's never been an issue as far as I'm aware.

Of course they also have a whole rack of "yaoi manga" right out in the open so kind of two steps forward, one step back.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

anticake posted:

That's a really terrible solution when they could easily just have a kids section instead.

I mean it's effectively saying comics are not for kids and they are not welcome there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Skwirl posted:

It's definitely not the only reason, but the fact that kids can't afford to buy their own comics is a huge factor in kids not buying comics. I got into Spider-Man when it had as many titles as X-men and if it weren't for fact that my dad foolishly bought into the comic boom there's no way my parents would have been willing to pay that much a month to keep up with them (Clone Saga).

My parents definitely made it clear that I didn't get to get a toy every time we went to the store, but they were fine if I ever asked for a comic book. Part of it was that comics were super cheap in the 80s, it meant that me reading it gave them some quiet, and they really really wanted me to read as much as I wanted. I got plenty of comics and traditional books.

Are comics too expensive for parents?

• Locked thread