Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Tensokuu posted:

Gonna go pick up MK8 and claim Zelda as my freebie. I am having a hard time picking between Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Any thoughts?

All of the above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers I've played in years so I'd go with that. Though choosing between 3D World and Tropical Freeze is just cruel!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
3D World all the way.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Tensokuu posted:

Considering I just picked up my Wii U I'm going to take advantage of the Toys R Us deal on Mario Kart, but I need your thoughts here.

Gonna go pick up MK8 and claim Zelda as my freebie. I am having a hard time picking between Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Any thoughts?

Personally, I'm partial to Tropical Freeze, but you really can't go wrong with any of them. 3D World is one of the best Marios in years, and it feels a lot like 3D Land, but appropriately blown up for a console. DKC is an amazing platformer and it's loving gorgeous, but it's really hard. I don't know if you've played DKC Returns, but it has a very similar difficulty level, maybe even a little higher at the start. I've never played Pikmin 3, but I've heard it plays a bit more like 1 than 2, and mostly good things about it.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Just get all 3 you shithead you should have them already gently caress

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Somebody changed my custom title ugh

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Tensokuu posted:

No one man should have to make this decision. :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

Somebody changed my custom title ugh

If only the perpetrator left some clue...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I see people say Tropical Freeze was really hard but I found Returns far far harder. I think Tropical Freeze is a bit more forgiving, but it also has better level design than the first game. The Rocket Barrel stages are now a lot easier to control and don't one shot kill you so you can enjoy the sights more (and those stages are by far the most visually interesting). Not that I didn't die a million loving times on a bunch of the levels, but returns felt downright sadistic at times.

Kewpuh posted:

Just get all 3 you shithead you should have them already gently caress

^^^

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Tensokuu posted:

Considering I just picked up my Wii U I'm going to take advantage of the Toys R Us deal on Mario Kart, but I need your thoughts here.

Did you get a Wii U bundled with NSMBU? If so your 2D platforming needs will be taken care of for now. Pikmin 3 is amazing, but since it's a free game with Mario Kart new and used copies may be able to be found cheaper. Super Mario 3D world is probably the best of the bunch so go with that.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Tensokuu posted:

Mario 3D world if your favorite platformers are modern ones like Mario Galaxy or Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong if your favorite platformers are classic 2D ones like Super Mario World or Sonic 1 - 3.

Pikmin is awesome if you liked the other games in the series, or if you just have a soft spot for weird RTS style games.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Looking at my funding and knowing that my girlfriend is going to pay me her $100 towards the cable bill (which I've already paid) has led me to the decision that I'll probably just go buy them all and say to hell with it. :v: I also just realized that I have a buy 2 used get 1 free coupon for Gamestop so I'll just get two of them used and use the freebie on something like Nintendoland I guess (I already have Wonderful 101, New Super Mario + Luigi and MonHun).

Thanks everyone.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pikmin 3 is the finest game of our generation so get that one.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
I would get all three but if you only have enough money to get just one I'd go with 3d World. It's honestly one of the best games I've ever played. I really, really hope they add some DLC for it.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Cheesegod posted:

I would get all three but if you only have enough money to get just one I'd go with 3d World. It's honestly one of the best games I've ever played. I really, really hope they add some DLC for it.

Buy the games for him Cheesegod

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
I was utterly delighted with 3D world from beginning to end, its my favorite plat former since Mario 64.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Getting all three is so dumb. What is wrong with you people? Like, it's not like he's going to play all these games at the same time (plus he already has Mario Kart, the free game that comes with that and the games he says he already has) and while Nintendo games don't always go down in price, they far more rarely go up. Worst case scenario if he waits until he's actually ready to play the games is that he'll pay the same price and best case is he'll pay far less.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Quick question, I was looking at the Toys R Us deal to beef up my library and there's one on my way home from work. Anyone know if the deal's online only? Or can I get it in stores too?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers I've played in years so I'd go with that. Though choosing between 3D World and Tropical Freeze is just cruel!

Rayman legends ruined Tropical freeze for me. Well, not ruined, but I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I could have.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Pikmin 3 has the distinct advantage of huge replay value, by way of the continuous struggle to achieve a no-dead-Pikmin run, but 3D World is amazeballs too.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

If it effects your decision I already own all the games from the MK promotion and would be willing to sell a Pikmin code for 25 bucks.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Fungah! posted:

Quick question, I was looking at the Toys R Us deal to beef up my library and there's one on my way home from work. Anyone know if the deal's online only? Or can I get it in stores too?
It's online or in store for US and neither in Canada :canada:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Chernabog posted:

Rayman legends ruined Tropical freeze for me. Well, not ruined, but I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I could have.

I started playing Freeze right after Rayman and I die constantly because I forget that in Freeze you have to hold a trigger to grab vines while in Legends you automatically grab them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tensokuu posted:

3D World is the least likely to go on sale in the near future, if that matters to you.

Pikmin 3 really works best with Wiimote/Nunchuk, so if you don't have those you might wanna hold off until you do. (I haven't tried the new stylus controls they just added today, maybe those will make gamepad-only play a better option.)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
There's literally no wrong choice for the free game, just pick one and buy the others later.

Edit: Holy poo poo wait, don't get Wii Party U.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

katkillad2 posted:

There's literally no wrong choice for the free game, just pick one and buy the others later.

It's the only one I don't have. :-(

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Wii Party U isn't that bad. I have it, it's like an unthemed Mario Party.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

PRADA SLUT posted:

Wii Party U isn't that bad. I have it, it's like an unthemed Mario Party.

This would negatively affect my enjoyment of it way more than it should.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Zack_Gochuck posted:

This would negatively affect my enjoyment of it way more than it should.

Yeah, I really dont understand why they didnt just make it a Mario Party game. I would be pretty excited about a new Mario Party but I just cant get excited from Nintendo Wii U party. I dont know why, it just has a ton less appeal to me.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

greatn posted:

It's the only one I don't have. :-(

Make $20-25 by selling your Pikmin 3 code to someone like me. :whatup:

edit: There's a thread in SA Mart with people offering $$ for codes. People are offering $10-15 at the moment.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 30, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
And the Club Nintendo site is down. I wonder why :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jolo posted:

Make $20-25 by selling your Pikmin 3 code to someone like me. :whatup:

edit: There's a thread in SA Mart with people offering $$ for codes. People are offering $10-15 at the moment.

I actually have friends staying at my house next week, so I'll actually have a chance to play it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, I really dont understand why they didnt just make it a Mario Party game. I would be pretty excited about a new Mario Party but I just cant get excited from Nintendo Wii U party. I dont know why, it just has a ton less appeal to me.

It's not really a Mario party clone, it's a sonic shuffle clone.

And there's a good reason to why there has only been one sonic shuffle but 5-6 Sonic racing games. It was that bad.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Sonic Shuffle had the best minigame of any party game ever released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1-_RG1izrU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mercury Crusader posted:

The one thing I remember about this game is bad load times.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I agree with basically all thoughts posted so far but I did see you passingly mention considering NintendoLand with that coupon of yours so I'll just pop in with my bi-monthly post that NintendoLand is way, way, way more high-quality and brimmed with content than you probably think it is and I doubt you'll regret it as a purchase, especially with friends. It's got more or less the same polish, charm and love that the lion's share of Nintendo's major first party releases for Wii U do. It's obviously something they intended to be the face of the system at debut, they just marketed it like poo poo and it got lost in the muck, to the point where even they forgot it existed and removed it from the eShop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mercury Crusader posted:

Eh, Bowser's Big Blast in Mario Part 2's better. That or Cut From The Team in Mario Party 8. If you don't laugh at least a little when that spring triggers, there's something wrong with you :colbert:.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you don't have Nintendo Land and you have friends in real life, buy Nintendo Land. The local multiplayer games in it are the best.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

katkillad2 posted:

Hey man that Ball Dozer game makes for a great party drinking game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macaluso posted:

The Rocket Barrel stages are now a lot easier to control and don't one shot kill you so you can enjoy the sights more (and those stages are by far the most visually interesting). Not that I didn't die a million loving times on a bunch of the levels, but returns felt downright sadistic at times.

Wait, Rocket Barrels are something that they brought back? What in the hell for? Those stages are easily the worst thing about the entire game. And they were worse in Returns? I'm not so sure that I want to get it now.. My memory may be off but I don't remember any damned Rocket Barrels in DKC. Also, Tropical Freeze is wonderful, but I was pretty bummed to see that they only brought back Rambi. And they apparently killed off Wrinkly Kong after DKC3? What a bummer :(

• Locked thread