Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Drop pods are hellish to assemble but give great tactical flexibility. A Melta multimelta combimelta tactical squad is a great addition now to any marine army as it can smoke a vehicle and then be a threat while remaining relatively cheap.
Three TFC... #banthissickfilth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Crossposting dudes from the Oath thread

Finished another batch of Relictors. I'm pretty pleased with the Honour Guard dude. To keep him fluffy, the power sword is taken from the CSM sprue.

Also finished an Inquisitor and two Crusaders. Still need to practice freehanding. I got the idea for the Crusaders from someone either here or the painting thread. So thank you, person whom I've forgotten!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Ork Pre-orders are up!

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US...questid=8945591

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

I am disappoint.

EDIT: What base size is that on the gorkanaut? They really look like a fun/easy scratchbuild project.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

CyberLord XP posted:

I am disappoint.

If that is the only new kit (no plastic meganobs, no new buggies, no plastic Flash Gitz kit) me too. Though my wallet is very happy.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Indolent Bastard posted:

If that is the only new kit (no plastic meganobs, no new buggies, no plastic Flash Gitz kit) me too. Though my wallet is very happy.

I was kind of hoping for some other new units as well.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They will most likely come next week.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

They've started rolling out the new releases over the course of a few weeks instead of all at once. That's how they handled the new Fantasy Dwarf and WE releases. Note that the codex itself isn't up yet.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So I proposed the drop pods as a way to combat the randomness of the Maelstrom cards in our local group, only to see it immediately house ruled out because it's cheesy and broken.

:sigh:

I'm so close to giving up.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's the problem with everyone deciding they can make the rules better than the professionals. Mostly it just ends up as self-serving/irrational twattery.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That's the problem with everyone deciding they can make the rules better than the professionals. Mostly it just ends up as self-serving/irrational twattery.

"professionals"

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Speaking of changes, can anyone find a rule in the book to suggest that skimmers are destroyed if they are immobilised after moving flat out? This was a rule previously but appears to be gone now (as would make sense, since moving flat out no longer grants skimmers any protection benefit)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Agreed, nothing is better than a rule that punishes one army or play style just because no one has figured out how to counter it on the table.

"Taudar? Too strong. Banned!" The embodiment of an inclusive gaming environment.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, let's be fair here about how professional the GW designers are. GW doesn't hire experienced professionals. They promote from within. Allesio Cavatore, widely (and I think incorrectly) considered the best designer to come out of GW, got his gig by translating the rules and becoming buddies with JJ.

Compare that to companies like WotC or Paizo or Fantasy Flight who bring in established design talents and other professionals whose skills can be helpful.

So yeah, they're professional game designers because they make a living designing a game, but the necessary qualifications for their positions seem to have little to do with prior game designs.

E: But I totally agree about excessive kneejerk house ruling.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Saalkin posted:

"professionals"

I don't know if you noticed, but this is no longer a free-poo poo zone.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So I proposed the drop pods as a way to combat the randomness of the Maelstrom cards in our local group, only to see it immediately house ruled out because it's cheesy and broken.

Just keep your own score.

At the end of the day who is going to care? You want to play a different game to them anyway.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
After now starting my 5th army (Daemons) I told our group's Ork player that I'm definitely not starting Orks. I do hope the new codex retains its FUN aspect, though. After Marbo disappeared and hearing everyone's stories of using him, I just wonder. It is interesting to see the roll-out of new Ork stuff though, I wonder if the coming weeks/months will continue to see things like advance orders come out ahead of the WD issues so leaks are mitigated.

So, tactics question: what do people think is the viability of Dark Eldar Raider/Venom use? Since they can rush around turbo-boosting and even Deep Strike with the Baron, are they something to consider? I know they're paper-thin but with enough of them they could overwhelm objectives, potentially.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Raphus C posted:

Just keep your own score.

At the end of the day who is going to care? You want to play a different game to them anyway.

It's for our campaign that will eat up the majority of our games over the next 10 weeks.

:smithicide:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's for our campaign that will eat up the majority of our games over the next 10 weeks.

How are they allowed to just say, "nope no drop pods"? If you take them, they are in, and if the rules say they are scoring, they are scoring.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you can, I'd look for another group. One that isn't made up of dicks.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

They are wrong. Wrong in a multitude of ways.

What else are they houseruling out? Are they getting rid of Daemon and Eldar psychic powers? better do that. They seem pretty powerful. Also better not allow flying monstrous creatures to fly...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

They made drop pods not scoring.

I went overboard bitching about how unbalanced the cards are, and how they essentially turn any game into a card draw, regardless of what happens on the tabletop. Since they all refuted it and embraced the cards, anything I've brought to the table since has been effectively seen as trying to circumvent the cards.

Which, to be fair, I am trying to do. They told me to try and come up with ways to stay competitive despite the randomness of the cards, so I did... And they house ruled it.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Which, to be fair, I am trying to do. They told me to try and come up with ways to stay competitive despite the randomness of the cards, so I did... And they house ruled it.

loving ignore them.

The door isn't going to be busted down by the inquisition. You will disagree about the scores at the end of the game. Does it matter?

Stop trying to persuade these people.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Finished my test Dire Avenger model. I think I'm a fan even without the warm color that was suggested. It's going to be on a snow base so I'm not sure the warm color is required. What do you think?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

They made drop pods not scoring.

I went overboard bitching about how unbalanced the cards are, and how they essentially turn any game into a card draw, regardless of what happens on the tabletop. Since they all refuted it and embraced the cards, anything I've brought to the table since has been effectively seen as trying to circumvent the cards.

I'm totally fine with houserules. But not houserules that just punish one player and/or army... this is a rule made without any idea of how it is impacting the REST of the game. It sounds like you win in this group a lot and they are trying to hamstring you (just guessing).

I would say that you should find a group of players more suited to the way you want to play if you can. I certainly wouldn't get involved in some long protracted campaign where you are going to be miserable the entire time.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Raphus C posted:

loving ignore them.

The door isn't going to be busted down by the inquisition. You will disagree about the scores at the end of the game. Does it matter?

Stop trying to persuade these people.

It doesn't matter, of course. It's just space Barbies. But it is spirit breaking. I was going to just take a break from the group to paint my new IG army, but then I realized they're using my PE tiles, and I kind of wrote the campaign (until the group rewrote most of it), so I feel obligated to play. I don't want to be a poor sport.

They're not as bad as I probably make them sound. There are a few characters, for sure, but they're not really the awful grognards you'd typically imagine...

They just loving love those cards without rationale or understanding.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Boon posted:

Finished my test Dire Avenger model. I think I'm a fan even without the warm color that was suggested. It's going to be on a snow base so I'm not sure the warm color is required. What do you think?

I think it looks great! The blue definitely pops and it's a unique color scheme.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It doesn't matter, of course. It's just space Barbies. But it is spirit breaking. I was going to just take a break from the group to paint my new IG army, but then I realized they're using my PE tiles, and I kind of wrote the campaign (until the group rewrote most of it), so I feel obligated to play. I don't want to be a poor sport.

They're not as bad as I probably make them sound. There are a few characters, for sure, but they're not really the awful grognards you'd typically imagine...

It evens out the skill factor. If you're a great modeler/painter but a lovely player (and every 40k group has at least one guy like that) then the cards give you more of a chance. There's nothing for it if you're committed to playing than to just accept it's now beerhammer time and to try out ridiculous armies and have as good a time as you can. Don't take it seriously and look for the fun where you can find it.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I love the cards too if I am being honest. But I'm not going to cripple an opponent just because they come up with a good solution.

I would go back and re-read what you JUST wrote (quoted above)....

- They are using YOUR PE tiles
- They re-wrote the campaign you spent time writing/organizing(?)
- They are making rules changes which specifically target you.

You came here and started venting about them - so clearly you are upset about it... don't start making excuses now.

Let me ask this - what are the armies these other gamers are playing in this campaign?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Ghost Hand posted:

I love the cards too if I am being honest. But I'm not going to cripple an opponent just because they come up with a good solution.

I would go back and re-read what you JUST wrote (quoted above)....

- They are using YOUR PE tiles
- They re-wrote the campaign you spent time writing/organizing(?)
- They are making rules changes which specifically target you.

You came here and started venting about them - so clearly you are upset about it... don't start making excuses now.

Let me ask this - what are the armies these other gamers are playing in this campaign?

I am frustrated, I admit. I win maybe 1 out of 5 games, but I dont mind losing because Im losing based on what happens on the tabletop. The cards frustrate me because of lovely draws. They remove my ability to "get better" because its all loving random.

The other armies are Necrons, Nids, two Tau, two Orks, and Chaos SM. Edit: and Blood Angels edit2: and Eldar. gently caress.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 30, 2014

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I am frustrated, I admit. I win maybe 1 out of 5 games, but I dont mind losing because Im losing based on what happens on the tabletop. The cards frustrate me because of lovely draws. They remove my ability to "get better" because its all loving random.

The other armies are Necrons, Nids, two Tau, two Orks, and Chaos SM. Edit: and Blood Angels

Honestly I expected you to say Eldar, Eldar, Demons, Demons, Necrons.

Just tell the Tau players they are going to have to come out of their little firebases and face you!

Either way - this sounds incredibly frustrating. You should make them use the Most Important Rule each game... hey half the time you should be able to make the Drop Pods scoring!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Because random fate can reward bad players with wins.

poo poo, if you wanted to be a major rear end in a top hat, just take you ball and go home; and by ball I mean PE tiles and campaign. (Don't really do this) But remind these dicks that it is a game to be enjoyed by all, not for the benefit of only a few.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

krushgroove posted:

So, tactics question: what do people think is the viability of Dark Eldar Raider/Venom use? Since they can rush around turbo-boosting and even Deep Strike with the Baron, are they something to consider? I know they're paper-thin but with enough of them they could overwhelm objectives, potentially.

They are marginally less flimsy in 7E because of the new damage table and flicker fields let them sidestep the jink nerf. Hiding and then scoring with them is now an option. Otherwise, they're the same as they have always been. Unless you take the baron (the duke is the deepstrike guy) and spam hellions, they are your only route to mobile troops, and boats full of warriors and trueborn are still your basic sources of massed firepower.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well hang on, while the Pods themselves don't score now the units they carry do. There's no reason you can't just drop the pods a few inches between the Objective and your enemy, then deploy the unit backwards onto the Objective. The Pod will provide some cover and even HtH armies will have to go around it to get to you, though I guess some of them will be smart enough to charge the pod to get to you quicker, and you'll still score a ton of points in the early rounds before they dig you off those Objectives. Might be enough to win a lot, in fact.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

jng2058 posted:

Well hang on, while the Pods themselves don't score now the units they carry do. There's no reason you can't just drop the pods a few inches between the Objective and your enemy, then deploy the unit backwards onto the Objective. The Pod will provide some cover and even HtH armies will have to go around it to get to you, though I guess some of them will be smart enough to charge the pod to get to you quicker, and you'll still score a ton of points in the early rounds before they dig you off those Objectives. Might be enough to win a lot, in fact.

Good call!

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

But the pods do score... We've been over this... It doesn't matter.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

But the pods do score... We've been over this... It doesn't matter.

You might want to give it a rest for today. You are clearly frustrated and probably won't make any progress until you can get it sorted in your head.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
He's saying what to do in the house-rule Drop Pods Don't Score scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

He's saying what to do in the house-rule Drop Pods Don't Score scenario.

Do what jng2058 suggested if they insist on their crappy house rule.

The "sorted out" part was a reference to getting his plan of action for dealing with these kill-joys figured out, not how the rule works.

• Locked thread