Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
$27 for a 550W Seasonic? :psypop:

Edit: I actually have that same one. Paid $55 for it and that was a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Peanut3141 posted:

I have a Corsair 200R ($50 case) and I love it. Only thing I miss is that I can't fit a 240mm radiator easily, but that's probably keeping me from doing something stupid. Ease of use is outstanding.

FYI: That power supply is a goddamned steal.

Noted, and ordered!

A question: student licenses on operating systems, I get to keep the software after I graduate, right?

EDIT: Hrm, there's no benchmarks on the site. That's not a problem, is it? I haven't used PCpartspicker before.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Unbelievably White posted:

Noted, and ordered!

A question: student licenses on operating systems, I get to keep the software after I graduate, right?

EDIT: Hrm, there's no benchmarks on the site. That's not a problem, is it? I haven't used PCpartspicker before.

I haven't been a student for a very long time, but I can't imagine your license key magically becoming invalid at some point. Can anybody verify that it operates as a standard key and doesn't require reverification for a reinstall?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ignoarints posted:

try to buy a used r7 mining card man before they dry up. If I remember your budget was $100 and you were already looking used

Thank you for remembering me but I am having a hard time understand what R7 is.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Herr Tog posted:

Click on the first page and then ctrl+f R7

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

I typed wrong,

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=r7+270x&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X270x&_nkw=270x&_sacat=0

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
OPS and the graphic card thread recommend getting a warranty. How likely is it to find a used one with a transferable warranty?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

MondayHotDog posted:

$27 for a 550W Seasonic? :psypop:

Edit: I actually have that same one. Paid $55 for it and that was a good deal.

Wait, the bronze is SS too? I thought it was a different manufacturer.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Peanut3141 posted:

I haven't been a student for a very long time, but I can't imagine your license key magically becoming invalid at some point. Can anybody verify that it operates as a standard key and doesn't require reverification for a reinstall?

Yes, it should continue to be just fine. I believe that some of the schools who provided "free" Windows 7 to students back in the day were giving them volume license Enterprise editions that would require the Activation and Key management server to be contacted at times, but typically any version that was either purchased or obtained freely and legally via MSDNAA or now Dreamspark will be fine to continue using going forward.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

fletcher posted:

Yup you can get a great gaming machine for that budget. Check out this build as a good starting point and go from there, switching things out depending on availability/price in your area as necessary. Then post your pcpartpicker list here for some feedback.

I've never heard of pre-installed CPUs before, not to say that's not a thing. It's easy to do it yourself though, the CPUs these days don't even have pins on them anymore for you to bend!

I was about to say thanks for the help but you've linked the reply page there, not a build! Could you link what you intended to, again?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Built my PC last night and it went off without a hitch! To be honest I was pretty surprised that it POSTed and was working on the first try :v:

One question remains, though. What sort of CPU idle temps should I be seeing on an i5-4590? Obviously this depends on ambient temp and a bunch of other poo poo, but I was seeing 45C when I was just sitting on the BIOS screen. Should I rejigger my fans or something? Or is this fine?

Thanks!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

deimos posted:

Wait, the bronze is SS too? I thought it was a different manufacturer.

Johnny Guru says it is. I've seen a few people in this thread say the same thing.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

OPS and the graphic card thread recommend getting a warranty. How likely is it to find a used one with a transferable warranty?

Someone who knows morewill have to tell you, but chances are good for major brands. Some companies don't really care who owns it, some are very strict (I believe Sapphire and Powercolor sucks, for example)

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I'm trying to decide the best option to upgrade my aged system, especially given costs. My main goal is that if I spend like $450 or more, I should be able to play AAA console port games, 1080p/max settings, shooting for 60fps but 40 would be acceptable. I was hoping to keep up with a PS4, performance wise, and for longer than like 3 months if possible.

Current System:
CPU:i3-3220
GPU:XFX GT-430X-CAF2 GeForce GT 430 2GB
Motherboard:MSI B75MA-P45
RAM:Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 RAM - PC10666, 1333MHz
Power Supply:Ultra LSP550 550-Watt Power Supply
Storage:WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB Desktop Hard Drive - 3.5" SATA, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache

So I am really not sure what's going to give me the best bang, or bang/buck ratio. I'm going with a $460-500 budget, unless I *really* need to get a newer mobo, cpu, ram, psu, etc in which case I can stretch that to double... but would prefer not to.

Original thinking: i5-4570, GTX760, install on current mobo, etc
New thinking: GTX 770 or 280x/290x (used?), Samsung 120gb Evo.
Possible: Start from scratch, i5-4690k, oc board, better ram, PSU, etc... then the GTX770 and Samsung Evo. I should be able to do this for ~900? If it's worth all that extra money. I really would prefer to not do this if my current stuff is fine. What would this get me at 1080p/max? 10fps? 20?

edit: Whoops, that's a pair of the 4gb RAM. So GPU first, and then probably a i5 4570/90 replacement? Will the board & ram hold me back, given that the ram is actually 8gb, though not great speed-wise? I'm also figuring the CPU will hold me back at some point, but would the i3-3220 to i5-4570 be like $200 for 20+fps or like 5-10? Sorry, I'm not familiiar with newer hardware.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 30, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

nilumtil posted:

I'm trying to decide the best option to upgrade my aged system, especially given costs. My main goal is that if I spend like $450 or more, I should be able to play AAA console port games, 1080p/max settings, shooting for 60fps but 40 would be acceptable. I was hoping to keep up with a PS4, performance wise, and for longer than like 3 months if possible.

Current System:
RAM:Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM - PC10666, 1333MHz
Storage:WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB Desktop Hard Drive - 3.5" SATA, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache

So I am really not sure what's going to give me the best bang, or bang/buck ratio. I'm going with a $460-500 budget, unless I *really* need to get a newer mobo, cpu, ram, psu, etc in which case I can stretch that to double... but would prefer not to.

Possible: Start from scratch, i5-4690k, better ram, PSU, etc... then the GTX770 and Samsung Evo. I should be able to do this for ~900? If it's worth all that extra money. I really would prefer to not do this if my current stuff is fine.

Considering your goals and rough budget the 4690k setup is not needed. If you're willing to go used, a 290 will easily be the best bang for the buck. Max settings is kind of a wide range these days, but that will be the most assured way to avoid a bottleneck. I would suggest a 770 or 280x if you go new however.

Unfortunately this might blow your budget a bit. If you do it right, you might be able be close. You will also need a new motherboard, and it would be difficult to recommend you holding onto 1333mhz 4gb of ram too. Basically if you stick to the basic build in the OP with a 4590, appropriate non overclocking motherboard, 8gb of ram, and the video card you choose it will do what you want.

I don't know anything about that power supply.

edit: After reading your update (and I misread your CPU too) I'd start with a GPU first and see how you like it. An i5 coming from an i3 3220 will be an improvement, but not mind blowingly so. You could see fps bumps with it but that's really greatly going to matter what you're playing. GPU first, perhaps SSD here, then CPU/mobo and ram, imo. The GPU for SURE is your main bottleneck though. A GPU and SSD will make it seem like a brand new computer probably.

Your cpu and mobo currently still have value too. If you consider what you can offset by selling those too sooner rather than later, it's another way to go about it if you decide to get a new CPU/mobo

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 30, 2014

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

nilumtil posted:

Current System:
RAM:Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 RAM - PC10666, 1333MHz

Possible: Start from scratch, i5-4690k, oc board, better ram, PSU, etc... then the GTX770 and Samsung Evo. I should be able to do this for ~900? If it's worth all that extra money. I really would prefer to not do this if my current stuff is fine. What would this get me at 1080p/max? 10fps? 20?

edit: Whoops, that's a pair of the 4gb RAM. So GPU first, and then probably a i5 4570/90 replacement? Will the board & ram hold me back, given that the ram is actually 8gb, though not great speed-wise? I'm also figuring the CPU will hold me back at some point, but would the i3-3220 to i5-4570 be like $200 for 20+fps or like 5-10? Sorry, I'm not familiiar with newer hardware.

If I were you I'd get a used 290 with a custom cooler and a transferable warranty, and a new PSU from the OP. I've never heard of Ultra brand but it sounds like an electrical fire waiting to happen. Your CPU is fine for the time being, a new i5 would be ~$300 for maybe 5-10 FPS at most. The 290 is a bitchin' card. The GTX 770 is in that same price range if you don't want a used mining card, and nVidia has arguably better drivers, but it's slower.

BTW as far as your first option goes, the 4570 won't work with your current motherboard, it uses a different socket. You'd want a 3570 which is less of an upgrade from what you have now.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

One question remains, though. What sort of CPU idle temps should I be seeing on an i5-4590? Obviously this depends on ambient temp and a bunch of other poo poo, but I was seeing 45C when I was just sitting on the BIOS screen. Should I rejigger my fans or something? Or is this fine?
When you are in the BIOS, none of the thermal management is on. Check your heat from the OS instead to get an accurate reading. 45C on the BIOS should be fine though.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

MondayHotDog posted:

If I were you I'd get a used 290 with a custom cooler and a transferable warranty, and a new PSU from the OP. I've never heard of Ultra brand but it sounds like an electrical fire waiting to happen. Your CPU is fine for the time being, a new i5 would be ~$300 for maybe 5-10 FPS at most. The 290 is a bitchin' card. The GTX 770 is in that same price range if you don't want a used mining card, and nVidia has arguably better drivers, but it's slower.

BTW as far as your first option goes, the 4570 won't work with your current motherboard, it uses a different socket. You'd want a 3570 which is less of an upgrade from what you have now.

Indulge the less knowledgeable, if you will:

Do you think I can get away (say for only a month) running a 290x on that PSU (Ultra LS550) on this system? I understand enough to know that it apparantly has the two six-pin pcie power supply cords, and that the wattage means next to nothing. Will it work at all? This would mean *having* to get a new PSU instead of the SSD, at least immediately.

If I quoted the wrong i5 number, I had intended another LGA1155 4th generation i5. Is this a featureset thing (My B75 is LGA1155), or me quoting a non-LGA1155 CPU model on accident?

Also, I know this bit may be more suited to the GPU thread (I may bring it up there): What would a good or fair price be for a mining-used 290x? 250, or is the 300 they seem to be going for more fair? MSI and Gigabyte are the S/N-based warranty issuers, any of the other brands like Sapphire? Is the whole thing to get the card used and RMA it immediately, or hope that it wears out within the time limit and do a legit RMA if you need to. Is that even likely, or are GPUs lasting long enough that the mining should be a minimal impact on lifespan?

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 30, 2014

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

nilumtil posted:

Do you think I can get away (say for only a month) running a 290x on that PSU (Ultra LS550) on this system? I understand enough to know that it apparantly has the two six-pin pcie power supply cords, and that the wattage means next to nothing. Will it work at all? This would mean *having* to get a new PSU instead of the SSD, at least immediately.

If I quoted the wrong i5 number, I had intended another LGA1155 4th generation i5. Is this a featureset thing (My B75 is LGA1155), or me quoting a non-LGA1155 CPU model on accident?

Also, I know this bit may be more suited to the GPU thread (I may bring it up there): What would a good or fair price be for a mining-used 290x? 250, or is the 300 they seem to be going for more fair? MSI and Gigabyte are the S/N-based warranty issuers, any of the other brands like Sapphire? Is the whole thing to get the card used and RMA it immediately, or hope that it wears out within the time limit and do a legit RMA if you need to. Is that even likely, or are GPUs lasting long enough that the mining should be a minimal impact on lifespan?

I'd heartily recommend getting this $30 XFX for peace of mind:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

nilumtil posted:

Personally not a total fan of mining cards, but they also used to be waaaay more expensive. However, R9 cards are new, there is only so much that can be done in that time. The only issue is if it's been overclocked and, more importantly, been running too hot 24/7. The good news is that its not in the best interest for miners to do that so it seems rare at best. In fact the best ones to buy are ones that were true mining operations.

As far as warranties you will basically have to Google the brand you're looking at. I know just know off hand Sapphire warranty blows though. XFX (seems to be a common mining brand) however is good.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

nilumtil posted:

Your questions are getting a little bit beyond my expertise, but I'll answer the best I can. Hopefully someone more knowledgable can elaborate or correct me if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't try to use such a powerful card with that power supply. Less reputable PSUs like that one don't actually put out as many watts as they say they do, and if you overload it you could have a failure that can destroy your whole computer, or if you're really unlucky, your whole house. The 290x is significantly more expensive than the plain 290 (they're different cards), you can get a 290 and a really good PSU for the same price as a 290x. That $27 XFX model a few posts up is the steal of the century, and the 290 is still stupidly good for 1080p, you'll get solid 60 FPS at 1080p/max settings on most games.

If you're mostly concerned about gaming, an SSD doesn't increase frame rates except in MMOs and open world games. They're great for non-gaming, I'll never go back, but I'd still get a new PSU before an SSD. The power supply is the most important component in your machine.

The 4th generation (Haswell) Intel processors use socket 1150, not 1155. Your motherboard is 1155 which supports 2nd generation (Sandy Bridge) and 3rd generation (Ivy Bridge) only.

On eBay used 290x's with custom coolers start at about $400. The reference cooler ones are $300-350 but are much louder. That's actually a lot cheaper than I realized, might be worth it if you can deal with the noise or if you wear headphones when gaming.

You wouldn't RMA the card until it stops working or otherwise fucks up. I'm pretty sure buying a used one and immediately RMAing it to get a new one would constitute fraud. At best, they'll test it, find out it works fine, and just send it back to you. The 200 series is new enough that they shouldn't be too worn out from mining just yet. It should last until it's obsolete enough that you'll want a new one. Just don't buy a used 7000 series, those are 2 years old.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Buy that XFX 550w while its still $27 :supaburn:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MondayHotDog posted:

290 is still stupidly good for 1080p, you'll get solid 60 FPS at 1080p/max settings on most games.

I think 'most games' is downplaying it even

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Yeah. But truly maxing everything out, and willing to buy used, its hard to say its a bad idea either for the money. Otherwise I'd go back to 770/280x for sure

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

HalloKitty posted:

I think 'most games' is downplaying it even

I'm thinking of console ports that are so shittily coded that they won't run smoothly no matter how much machine you throw at it. Watch_Dogs being the newest one. I was playing KOTOR a few weeks ago and getting frame rate dips into the teens, and that game is 11 years old.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

John Charity Spring posted:

I was about to say thanks for the help but you've linked the reply page there, not a build! Could you link what you intended to, again?

Whoops! It was this one from a couple pages ago: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3623433&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=55#post430272121

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Alright, thanks!

Having replicated that exactly (except for the keyboard, I don't need a new one of those) I get this:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/BKPw7P

Which is pushing £900, a bit more expensive than I would like. Still doable (as I got paid today and have enough of a buffer in my account to allow it) but it'd be nice to shave off around £50 if that was possible. I'm a total novice at this stuff so I'm not quite sure where to start - the GPU is the biggest single expense there but I'm loath downgrade that, and I do like the idea of having both an SSD and an HD. Should I just start looking for parts on Ebay to get the price down?

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 30, 2014

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

My rig (i5 3570k, 8 GB RAM, 660 Ti) runs Watch Dogs like utter poo poo on ultra. What do I need to buy to make the game run well?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Wengy posted:

My rig (i5 3570k, 8 GB RAM, 660 Ti) runs Watch Dogs like utter poo poo on ultra. What do I need to buy to make the game run well?

A console.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Wengy posted:

Ultra is only for cards with 3GiB VRAM minimum, and even then you need 4 to smooth it all out.

Overall though, it appears to be an unpolished mess. Enjoy.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 30, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Something I was just thinking about now that all my poo poo's ordered - everything I need should come with whatever cables I need to get everything wired correctly, right? Or will I need to buy an SATA cables or anything like that?

Here's a link to my build, if anyone needs it: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Spiritus/saved/nnL48d

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SATA cables are included with the motherboard.

Edit: sorry, didn't really look too carefully at the fact you'd need extra

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 30, 2014

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Lol gently caress it then, I've got enough other games to tide me over until I REALLY need to upgrade.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Spiritus Nox posted:

Something I was just thinking about now that all my poo poo's ordered - everything I need should come with whatever cables I need to get everything wired correctly, right? Or will I need to buy an SATA cables or anything like that?

Here's a link to my build, if anyone needs it: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Spiritus/saved/nnL48d

You're gonna need an extra SATA cable. The motherboard comes with 2 and you need 3.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Wengy posted:

Wait for the patch, however a 660ti will not run at ultra no matter what. As far as I can tell the only option will be top tier cards like 290x or, when patched, 780ti (probably)

Ultra requires relatively intense memory bandwidth and capacity even if everything was working 100%

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

John Charity Spring posted:

Alright, thanks!

Having replicated that exactly (except for the keyboard, I don't need a new one of those) I get this:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/BKPw7P

Which is pushing £900, a bit more expensive than I would like. Still doable (as I got paid today and have enough of a buffer in my account to allow it) but it'd be nice to shave off around £50 if that was possible. I'm a total novice at this stuff so I'm not quite sure where to start - the GPU is the biggest single expense there but I'm loath downgrade that, and I do like the idea of having both an SSD and an HD. Should I just start looking for parts on Ebay to get the price down?

There's been a lot of high end video cards hitting the used market lately with the fall of crypto-currency mining, so maybe you could go down that route. Just make sure you get one that you can transfer the warranty on. Or find a cheaper version of the GTX 760 like the EVGA (looks to be under £200).

I wouldn't recommend going smaller than a 250GB SSD, but maybe you could forgo the 1TB drive and just buy it next paycheck.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MondayHotDog posted:

I'm thinking of console ports that are so shittily coded that they won't run smoothly no matter how much machine you throw at it. Watch_Dogs being the newest one. I was playing KOTOR a few weeks ago and getting frame rate dips into the teens, and that game is 11 years old.
I think occasional, short-lived frame drops are fine. Frame drops below 30fps for sustained periods (think 5 seconds) because of too much poo poo on the screen, that's an actual complaint.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Sorry if this is repeated, but what are the strong arguments for DDR3 1866 over 1600? Is it just that the price is so close to 1600 you might as well?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Is there a big gap in performance between the 770 and 290?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fat_Cow posted:

Is there a big gap in performance between the 770 and 290?

See for yourself: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1068?vs=1037

• Locked thread