Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

urk the quack posted:

I bank a bunch of podcasts I only listen to for occasional guests/topics and listen to those on "no release days" like Tuesdays (Todd Glass, Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin, Hardcore History, WTF, ect.).

Honestly though, with the U2 podcast being super long and NNF being twice a week I can't keep up with podcasts like I used to :(

The Best Show ending was really helpful in this regard. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Lou, I just caught up.

I wanted to tear my ears off during "Breeder Zone Revisited". Oh my god how can that even be a thing?

Still, your reactions during the ep made it worth it. Thank you for scarring your eyes for us.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
I really liked the virgin forum episode. I definitely prefer the forums full of weirdos rather than the disgusting or reprehensible ones.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Poopy Palpy posted:

The Best Show ending was really helpful in this regard. :/

What, you didn't go back and start from the beginning? Luckily I just got a dog so I'm getting extra listening time on walks.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

The Bunk posted:

What, you didn't go back and start from the beginning? Luckily I just got a dog so I'm getting extra listening time on walks.

Is there a (legal) way to download the MP3s or are you just streaming from the archive? Because I'd love to go back and listen as well but iTunes only has about 30 episodes.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Binowru posted:

Is there a (legal) way to download the MP3s or are you just streaming from the archive? Because I'd love to go back and listen as well but iTunes only has about 30 episodes.

No. (Why would you bother asking, with that qualification?)

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

WoG posted:

No. (Why would you bother asking, with that qualification?)

I know, that was dumb. I'm not gonna pirate them, I was just hoping there was an easy way to get hard copies so I wouldn't have to rely on the streaming player, mostly so I could put them on my old-school iPod and easily skim past bad calls.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A tip of the hat to the twitter-questioner on the Dead Authors podcast who managed to explode Ben Schwartz's world in less than 140 characters.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Binowru posted:

I know, that was dumb. I'm not gonna pirate them, I was just hoping there was an easy way to get hard copies so I wouldn't have to rely on the streaming player, mostly so I could put them on my old-school iPod and easily skim past bad calls.

*shrug* There are no ads on the page or prefacing the show, so the streams are costing wfmu money. I figure grabbing the mp3s from the mega directory linked in the BS thread is only helping.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
https://mega.co.nz/#F!IhMUHSbT!bd9x_zzfj2lFfm8_dkvD_A

This is the most complete mp3 archive I've found. The guy posted it in a download forum on the Friends of Tom message board (which Tom frequents) & it's just mp3 versions of the shows available for streaming so I'm sure it's fine legally. All the segments that have been officially released on CDs have been removed.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

The Bunk posted:

https://mega.co.nz/#F!IhMUHSbT!bd9x_zzfj2lFfm8_dkvD_A

This is the most complete mp3 archive I've found. The guy posted it in a download forum on the Friends of Tom message board (which Tom frequents) & it's just mp3 versions of the shows available for streaming so I'm sure it's fine legally. All the segments that have been officially released on CDs have been removed.

Awesome, thanks! I actually bought all the Scharpling & Wurster albums after the Best Show ended so this is perfect.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

A tip of the hat to the twitter-questioner on the Dead Authors podcast who managed to explode Ben Schwartz's world in less than 140 characters.

That's always the problem with idolizing old timey people.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Greggy posted:

I really liked the virgin forum episode. I definitely prefer the forums full of weirdos rather than the disgusting or reprehensible ones.

I'm the exact opposite. I still like the more tame episodes, but the grosser the better. I just like hearing Lou struggle to get through some of the poo poo he reads sometimes :shobon:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

This moment was one of the saddest things that has ever happened.

DrunkDalek
May 20, 2003

Drinking beer to make music to drink beer to.
Tuesday releases = the Lasertime Podcast. Recommended for dredging up various weird bits of pop culture best left lost

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Anyone who's enjoyed a Walking the Room ep. should check out this video Greg tweeted. It's one of those podcast-to-cartoons but it's actually enjoyable.

(and about as NSFW as you'd expect a WTR to be)

Urk! fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 1, 2014

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Has the Juice Genie appeared in any other shows?

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Are there any podcasts that are good and come out on Tuesdays? Not Comedy Bang Bang

Tuesdays with Stories at standupnylabs.com. it's hosted by joe list and mark normand and the premise is comics talking about their weekend gigs. there's a lot of inside baseball if you're into that kind of thing.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Are there any episodes of The JV Club that deal with drug use/abuse more than just in passing?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Charlie is back on TOFOP.

It's a good thing.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Are there any episodes of The JV Club that deal with drug use/abuse more than just in passing?

One of the things I miss about AA is all the funny stories.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

King Lou posted:

I just posted a new episode of Lou Reads.

http://loureads.com/2014/05/22/lou-reads-from-the-discussions-at-virgin-forums/

Its a little less intense than the previous episode.

Yeah, I'm listening to the previous episode right now, and having difficulty getting through it. I cannot believe you managed to read all of the disgusting stuff on that "Breeding Zone" forum.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Thanks for suffering through it. For some reason that stuff just makes me shake my head instead of throwing up. Its pretty amazingly appaling. I should form a therapy group for people who have listened to the worst of my podcast and need counseling. The virgin one is less gross.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Is anyone listening to The Mischke Roadshow? There's four episodes so far and it seems to be good if you were a fan of T.D. Mischke's radio shows on KSTP or WCCO. I've listened to him since I was 13 years old and still consider him the most naturally funny and quick-witted entertainer out there. I'd be surprised if there weren't some Minnesota goons that were listeners of his previous shows.

The premise is that Tommy takes his show out of the studio and drives around the twin cities, conducting interviews with interesting people and doing short bits in his car between them. About half of the show is comedy, but he manages to keep the interviews light, even for more serious topics. I've always found Mischke interviews to be fantastic, mostly because of who he chooses to interview rather than the questions he asks. So far on the show he has talked with a specialized coffin maker, a couple of recently-released prisoners, and a Cuban refugee. There's also some bits where he'll call up local businesses and ask ridiculous questions, which I don't find as funny as I used to as a kid listening to his shows.

Today's show is dedicated to Bob Dylan. I haven't finished listening to it, but it seems to be quite different from the first three episodes.

I can't actually find an RSS feed for it, but here's an itunes link. It shows up in Pocketcasts for me as well.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-mischke-roadshow/id877077889?mt=2

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The two latest Dollops have been amazing. Meth mines is the funniest thing.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Sandweed posted:

The two latest Dollops have been amazing. Meth mines is the funniest thing.

You're not kidding, I binged through most of the ones since the re-launch this week and I just about died laughing at least 3-4 times an episode. Meth mines and tickling were my favorites so far, I still haven't listened to the purity ball one though. It's like a hosed up This American Life.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Julie Klausner is now on day two (2) of complaining about how people are trying to Stifle Artistic Creativity in response to one random woman telling her she shouldn't say "fag hag." I do wonder why anyone would question the ally credentials of the woman who told St. Vincent to come out because she's not interesting enough to be closeted or whatever.

I think I need to delete Twitter just so I don't get exposed to the annoying tenancies of funny people. It may have already ruined Patton Oswalt!

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 7, 2014

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Being awful is funny, to me.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Oh god, Paul F Tompkins is on a Stop Podcasting Yourself, my face is going to be so tired from grinning like an idiot for 90 minutes.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Oh god, Paul F Tompkins is on a Stop Podcasting Yourself, my face is going to be so tired from grinning like an idiot for 90 minutes.

It's the podcast happiness equivalent of seeing the first robin of spring, except PFT sometimes shows up on SPY more than once a year.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
PFT SPY episodes always have at least one thing that I will be laughing at all goddamn week.

"Yeah, well, the family that kegels together..."
"Stay-gels together?"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I never listened to SPY before, and my girlfriend tried to get me to start by listening to one with a local comic as a guest and it didn't stick. But I tried again with this recent PFT episode and I am in. I downloaded some more episodes with comedians I recognized and a few that are from the city I live in.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
That's pretty much how I got into it. A PFT episode followed by some eps with comedians I recognised. After 6 or 7 of those I went back and listened to a few with local comedians and now I listen to every episode. Dave and Graham are just funny.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
All of the Kyle Kinane episodes are pretty great too. And Alicia Tobin and Brent Butt.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Charlie Demers is a great regular guest.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

The Berzerker posted:

But I tried again with this recent PFT episode and I am in.
This is actually the correct procedure for any podcast you're not sure about. Just look for a PFT episode. Don't worry, there'll be one.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm a big MBMBAM fan that listens to Sawbones on occasion, and I just started listening to the Best Of episodes of Risk!, and I'm curious, what are some other really good episodes of Risk!, and are there any other MaxFun podcasts worth listening to, even on an occasional basis?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Yoshifan823 posted:

So I'm a big MBMBAM fan that listens to Sawbones on occasion, and I just started listening to the Best Of episodes of Risk!, and I'm curious, what are some other really good episodes of Risk!, and are there any other MaxFun podcasts worth listening to, even on an occasional basis?

Personally I've always enjoyed JJGO even though most goons seem to hate it. International Waters got really good once Dave Holmes took over and I'd say give Throwing Shade a shot.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ron Funches on The Todd Glass Show! :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Yeah, that was my reaction too, even if it's a marijuana trainwreck I still love Ron enough that I'm sure I'll enjoy it

• Locked thread