Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

rcman50166 posted:

Poke it. Do it.

I found a failure in progress.

I should probably replace that.

Meh, just a swaybar. Shows neglect, but in no way a safety hazard if you've been driving more than a month or so.

Unless you mean that control arm. Maybe you drat yankees will feel different, but I'm used to Florida rust metal so that looks kinda sketchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
haha poo poo, I didn't even notice the sway bar until now. I was more concerned with the rust holes in a structural member of the suspension.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Horrible Failure or Amazing Success?

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/4493372708.html

quote:

alright for sale is something that you will never see again
and might have to see to believe. its a highly customized 1998 honda accord.
it has 198k on it. there is a long list of custom work

whelen off road spot lights
44 inch off road spot and flood bar
chevy visor
cab lights
8 cb wips
back up beeper
boat air horns
custom paint
pa speaker
smoke stack exhaust
pintle hitch
rear dually and deally fenders.
dodge tow mirrors

there is nothing wrong with the car just want to see if i can sell it for anything.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
:lol:

That's been making the rounds in my circle of friends, apparently some of them have seen it in the wild. The backstory is that the kid picked the car up for $200 and is (very effectively, I might add) trolling truck ricer bros with it. So I say it's awesome, especially if he finds an idiot to give him that much for it.

e: he needs a RANCH-HAND front bumper made entirely from polished diamond plate with a rack for sled pulling weights on it next.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's a shame it's a '98. Dually Accords are rare as hen's teeth, but they switched from a D44 to a D35 rear axle in '96.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
We should never have connected Australia to the Internet.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
It'd be even more magical if it was lifted, with a pair of NUTZ hanging from the rear bumper.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Is this weekly safety bulletin material? Any info on what *actually* happened?

Something doesn't add up here. Why was he thrusting inside the hangar?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oscillation overthruster malfunction.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
When are we leaving?

Real soon!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Fucknag posted:

Meh, just a swaybar. Shows neglect, but in no way a safety hazard if you've been driving more than a month or so.

Unless you mean that control arm. Maybe you drat yankees will feel different, but I'm used to Florida rust metal so that looks kinda sketchy.

If I cant poke a new hole through with my finger, its good.

We really need a Wisconsin emoticon.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Crying Bucky obviously.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

It's a shame it's a '98. Dually Accords are rare as hen's teeth, but they switched from a D44 to a D35 rear axle in '96.

I would of totally put the dually axle on the front .

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How about horrible quality/specs failure.
Had new brake pads that were so thick the bracket for the calipers didn't clear them.

Yes the pistons were all the way back.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

tater_salad posted:

Had new brake pads that were so thick the bracket for the calipers didn't clear them.

Skim your rotors until they fit, duh!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got oversized shoes for my VW once, I guess they assumed that in 1998 it was impossible for anyone to have drums that hadn't been resurfaced a million times on a car built in the 60's.

I was a kid with a poo poo job living on his own for the first time so I did the only thing that made sense to me.. got some high grit sand paper and worked those things over until it fit.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

tater_salad posted:

I'd be worried that I'd done something wrong, and use the opportunity to buy a pair of calipers and find out exactly what is out of spec and by how much.

Who doesn't want to buy a new tool?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

SuperDucky posted:

What bothers me is that the interior and exterior wall damage doesn't synch up.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

xzzy posted:

I got oversized shoes for my VW once, I guess they assumed that in 1998 it was impossible for anyone to have drums that hadn't been resurfaced a million times on a car built in the 60's.

I was a kid with a poo poo job living on his own for the first time so I did the only thing that made sense to me.. got some high grit sand paper and worked those things over until it fit.

Nothing wrong with sanding to make them fit (aside from breathing whatever the friction material was made of). Seems like all VW parts are in need of at least some hand fitting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Speaking of brake rotors

Team Petty Cash's first lemons XJ failure of the season.

(Break rotor, harhar)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

From the WRL race yesterday, they smelled something strange every time the car drove by so they called it in.

The smell was burning shock oil. They swapped it quickly but still dropped from 1st to 3rd place.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

More of a horrible mechanic failure: "Fuel pressure at the bowl tests great, even under hard load!"

Still felt wrong driving it and one dropped tank in my own garage later:

Now I need to find a new mechanic.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

More of a horrible mechanic failure: "Fuel pressure at the bowl tests great, even under hard load!"

Still felt wrong driving it and one dropped tank in my own garage later:

Now I need to find a new mechanic.

What did your mechanic do? Or not do?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

RandomPauI posted:

What did your mechanic do? Or not do?

To me, it sounds like the mechanic missed that a fuel filter screen was badly clogged with debris from the gas tank and instead thought nothing was wrong. The clog decreases the flow of fuel and so the engine runs poorly.

I could be wrong, but a fuel pressure test wouldn't reveal this issue if the clogged filter is downstream of the pressure gauge. Since the filter in Shifty Pony's photos looks like the type integrated into the carburetor body, this is probably what happened and why the mechanic missed the problem. You can test for a bad fuel pump and some carburetor float problems with a pressure gauge, which the mechanic might have incorrectly initially suspected it to be.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

meatpotato posted:

To me, it sounds like the mechanic missed that a fuel filter screen was badly clogged with debris from the gas tank and instead thought nothing was wrong. The clog decreases the flow of fuel and so the engine runs poorly.

I could be wrong, but a fuel pressure test wouldn't reveal this issue if the clogged filter is downstream of the pressure gauge. Since the filter in Shifty Pony's photos looks like the type integrated into the carburetor body, this is probably what happened and why the mechanic missed the problem. You can test for a bad fuel pump and some carburetor float problems with a pressure gauge, which the mechanic might have incorrectly initially suspected it to be.

The first part is right, but I should have given more detail.

The fuel screens are in the tank, integrated into a small mixing bowl which mixes returned warm fuelwith tank fuel to prevent gelling. Because the truck has an outside-the-tank lift pump it would be absolutely impossible to measure fuel pressure upstream from them. Not only that but I told him that I thought they were getting clogged and asked him to specifically check for fuel restriction/pressure drop under high flow conditions in addition to the static pressure put out by the pump. He said all was fine. The only explanation I can come up with is he didn't want to bother driving it with the fuel pressure gauge mounted and then lied to me about the results.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 2, 2014

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

IIRC it was in a hush house (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hush_house) and the tail hook hadn't been properly put together/attached

stump
Jan 19, 2006

(Stolen from Reddit)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

stump posted:

(Stolen from Reddit)

That honestly could have gone alot worse.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Chinatown posted:

That honestly could have gone alot worse.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFLV47VAbI

(Actually, it's a horrible mechanical failure that even got the aircraft to that point. It was going to be sacrificed in weapons-effects testing at Aberdeen because previously, on a ferry flight out of Corpus Christi Army Depot, it suffered an uncommanded flight control input and *did a complete roll*. The crew managed to avoid crashing it but the airframe was overstressed and was not going to fly again.)

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

stump posted:

(Stolen from Reddit)

Ground resonance is a helluva drug.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I just can't stop laughing at the helicopter having a :stonk: face the whole time it's happening.

Engine intakes and artifacted blur in front of the windscreen, for those trying to see it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh well gently caress me. A lady came in with a misfiring cavalier that also had 'rocker cover leaks' and my boss, innocent soul that he is, quoted her a pittance and said we'd get right on it. Six hours later I'm reassembling the cam carrier things, only to discover that someone has been in there before and half the threads are just pulling out of the holes because GM used the cheapest alloy they could find for the head :suicide:

I'd have taken pictures but I'm just too disgusted.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Oh god gently caress that motor forever, the 2.2L OHV right?

I strongly recommend NEVER EVER TOUCHING THE SPARK PLUGS if you end up putting a junkyard head on it.

They play Ford and don't come out.

That engine is nightmare fuel for me... for this and other reasons.

E: wait a sec you said cam carrier, not the OHV engine, still saying gently caress that thing forever

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Phanatic posted:

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFLV47VAbI

(Actually, it's a horrible mechanical failure that even got the aircraft to that point. It was going to be sacrificed in weapons-effects testing at Aberdeen because previously, on a ferry flight out of Corpus Christi Army Depot, it suffered an uncommanded flight control input and *did a complete roll*. The crew managed to avoid crashing it but the airframe was overstressed and was not going to fly again.)

A complete roll in a Chinook? Oh dear loving christ no :stonk:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

Oh god gently caress that motor forever, the 2.2L OHV right?

I strongly recommend NEVER EVER TOUCHING THE SPARK PLUGS if you end up putting a junkyard head on it.

They play Ford and don't come out.

That engine is nightmare fuel for me... for this and other reasons.

E: wait a sec you said cam carrier, not the OHV engine, still saying gently caress that thing forever

From what I've seen the 2.4 DOHC is significantly worse. Each cam has it's own cover. The bearing caps are built into the cam cover and the same long bolts go all the way through the cam carrier and into the head. Additionally, the cam covers don't come off conventionally because they also have horizontal bolts holding them to the timing chain cover...from the inside of the timing chain cover. So to do a leaky cam cover gasket you have to disassemble the entire front of the engine and remove the timing chain and cam sprockets.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You found a Quad 4 that still runs? :stonklol:

That was a miserable engine from day one, aside from the high output version (which cranked out a healthy 180 hp from a 2.3L, not bad for a late 80s 4 pot).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Phanatic posted:

it suffered an uncommanded flight control input

I love this terminology every time I see it.

It sounds so clinical and innocuous.

Phanatic posted:

*did a complete roll*

:wth:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

You found a Quad 4 that still runs? :stonklol:

That was a miserable engine from day one, aside from the high output version (which cranked out a healthy 180 hp from a 2.3L, not bad for a late 80s 4 pot).

I dunno, the LD2 Quad 4 died in the Cavalier in MY96. It's probably an LD9 which is a lot better (especially after EGR gets deleted in '00) but would still make me want to eat my own wrists rather than pull the head on.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Motronic posted:

I love this terminology every time I see it.

It sounds so clinical and innocuous.

Controlled Flight into Terrain gets me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I discovered my favorite mechanical disaster euphemisms in the spaceflight thread:

Hardware-rich combustion
Engine-rich exhaust
Lithobraking
Rapid Unplanned Disassembly

there were a couple others but I can't remember off the top of my head