Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Claymore, why are you so good? I'll miss you when I start wearing theme sets soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I finally tried out the Claymore after four playthroughs and it is pretty phenomenal. You don't even need to grind for it or anything, you just waltz through the fog and buy one. It's not super huge or loaded with big numbers, but it's quick and capable with a solid set of attacks. It's like the Sun Sword of greatswords.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
Claymore is the weapon that finally replaced the mace for my Str build. The ability to both slash and stab is amazing, and it's both easier to upgrade and has more reach than the Drangleic sword. I've also found it quite viable for PVP.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jordbo posted:

On the other hand, the damage kinda evens out since Fth and Int builds receive higher bonus damage due to scaling, which are then amplified with the buffs. Pure pyromancy builds get like +15 scaling at best, so the 50 + 30% increase from Flame Weapon isn't that much compared to Fth/Int builds with +200 lightning/magic bonuses. But I can agree that pyromancy doesn't have to be equally strong compared to sorcery and miracles since you can invest more levels into vigor/stamina/etc.

I can't speak for the other buffs but I don't believe 50 + 30% is what it did. My tests showed it scaled off a percent of the weapons base damage. CDGS did ~150 more damage per hit plain and fire, while Caestus would get ~60. BKS got about 120 with fire infusion. I've not tested much more than that though.

Also Infusing removes a portion of the Ring of Blades increase.

Some of my numbers; I have more but I'd have to find them.
code:
Old Knight:
680 - 2h Plain CDGS
805 - 2h Resin CDGS
828 - 2h FW CDGS

Mummy:
320 - 1h Plain Caestus
368 - 1h FW Caestus
689 - 2h Fire CDGS 
844 - 2h FW CDGS // Same increase as plain CDGS
355 - 2h Plain Caestus
409 - 2h FW Caestus // Same increase as 1h
449 - 2h Fire BKS 
540 - 2h FW Fire BKS

Dogs:
344 - 1h Plain Caestus
403 - 1h FW Caestus
731 - 2h Fire CDGS
879 - 2h Fire CDGS
498 - 2h Fire BKS
608 - 2h FW Fire BKS
Also I'd appreciate it if anyone else did a few FW/ Buff test.

Kild fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 30, 2014

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Unless I'm completely reading those numbers wrong they seem pretty consistant for 50 + 30% though? At least when you add a little wiggle room due to whatever the enemies resistances are.

E: Ok the plain CDGS getting the same bonus as a fire one would be totally off actually, the other numbers seem about right though. Weird.

Small and Blue fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 30, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

SynthOrange posted:

I got to the end? I think? Was that the end? :confused:

Also I guess I should have worn something more appropriate:

Lewd! Yeah, you got to the ending. Enjoyed it?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Anyone around 2m sm(ng, pc)wanna trade their blue orbs for red orbs?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Crimor/

I wants my wog :C

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

neetengie posted:

Lewd! Yeah, you got to the ending. Enjoyed it?

I enjoyed the journey more than the destination i'll say. Wish more areas were as atmospheric as the Aldia Keep path. That entire branch was amazing from start to end.

Also I swear the bottom of that outfit had a skirt! It just flew up for the end!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 30, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blah, I'm still mad about Freja because I know it's going to be a cakewalk again on my ng+ char because I won't have to deal with broke-rear end hitboxes. I really hope the patch does something about it instead of balancing things.

SynthOrange posted:

Also I swear the bottom of that outfit had a skirt! It just flew up for the end!

I'm more concerned about the apparent lack of skin on your face.

e: So if mundane is 6 points of scaling for each point in the lowest stat up to 20, then how do I have 145 scaling on my santier's spear with my lowest stat at 10?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 30, 2014

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Kild posted:

I can't speak for the other buffs but I don't believe 50 + 30% is what it did. My tests showed it scaled off a percent of the weapons base damage. CDGS did ~150 more damage per hit plain and fire, while Caestus would get ~60. BKS got about 120 with fire infusion. I've not tested much more than that though.

According to the guide and the wikis, the various buffs add 50 damage of their respective element, plus 30% (50% for resonant weapon) of the weapon's elemental damage. So for example buffing a fire infused weapon with Flame Weapon would leave the physical damage unaffected, but increase fire damage with 50 + 30 % of the weapon's fire damage. I assume that using CMW on a weapon with 150+200 magic damage would be much better than using FW on a weapon with 150+15 fire damage. I haven't compared, though.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Was I the only one who thought of Alice Krige in First Contact when I heard Nashandra the first time? I had to go look up the actress on IMDB. Harriet Kremsley. Never heard of her.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Assuming a weapon with no elemental damage on it we would expect:
Plain hit does X
Buffed hit does Y with Y>X but Y<=X+50

Another way to test would be that two weapons that don't do elemental damage should gain the same amount of damage no matter their base damage, i.e.
Plain hit with first weapon does X
Buffed hit with first weapon does X+Y
Plain hit with second weapon does Z
Buffed hit with second weapon should do Z+Y
This avoids problems with varying non-percentile resistances too.

I did some quick tests against the first hollow in Grave of Saints.
code:
              Caestus (90+146=236)  Blacksteel Katana (190+98=288)   Longsword (225+85=310)  Club (210+121=331)  Zweihänder (350+91=441)

Plain Hit                143        184                              202                     218                 276                     
Hit with Reso Weapon     201        270                              298                     310                 394                      
Gained Damage            58         86                               96                      92                  118             

Dark Club (Phys 147+45, Dark 147+51)         Dark Claymore (Phys 203+31, Dark 203+51)
Plain Hit 218                                284
Reso Hit  357                                454
Gained    139                                170
Which does indeed imply bonus damage based on physical damage, in addition to bonus damage on elemental damage. Interestingly the bonus damage seems to be based off of base damage and not base+scaling or the Club should have gained more damage than the Longsword. Might be funky interaction with resistances too though.

e: You can also see how split damage is worse than single type. The Dark Club has 390 AR total compared to the normal club with 331 but does the same damage anyway.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 30, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sven posted:

Managed to find a sunbro with a big rear end club. Things went swimingly.

Cool. He's one of the harder bosses. I'd say Freja is "tougher" to do alone but not necessarily harder. Just tedious as gently caress

As for optional bosses he's still nothing on guardian dragon until you learn to cheese

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
First thing I thought when I saw Nashandra was 'The Bride of Geiger'

Than I felt bad because Geiger died like a few days later.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Guardian Dragon was hilariously easy to me. He's one of the few bosses I killed on the first try solo.

...But it took me like 20-something tries to beat Last Giant. I'm a weirdo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Toadsmash posted:

Guardian Dragon was hilariously easy to me. He's one of the few bosses I killed on the first try solo.

...But it took me like 20-something tries to beat Last Giant. I'm a weirdo.

Last Giant only got me twice, once when he threw a statue's head at me and the game decided it didn't need to actually draw the head on screen so I got squished beneath nothing, and once when he one-shot me with that overhead. Then I just sniped him, alternating attacks and estus to get around the undodgeable explosions. Guardian Dragon was a cakewalk.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Ancient dragon I mean

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Last Giant becomes such a depressing fight once you get to the end of the game and realize what his story is :smith:

Poor Giants. They just wanted to chill on their island doing...whatever it is Giants do. Then Vendrick hosed everything up.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

once when he threw a statue's head at me

I must've killed that boss on 6 or 7 characters by now, including two magey types, and I've never seen that. This game is weird.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Just in case you guys didn't know, the patch notes are also in English from an official source here: http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/

Bad Staff

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Domattee posted:

[...]
Which does indeed imply bonus damage based on physical damage, in addition to bonus damage on elemental damage. Interestingly the bonus damage seems to be based off of base damage and not base+scaling or the Club should have gained more damage than the Longsword. Might be funky interaction with resistances too though.

e: You can also see how split damage is worse than single type. The Dark Club has 390 AR total compared to the normal club with 331 but does the same damage anyway.

Huh, it sure does. That's really interesting, and a bit confusing, since it's in conflict with what's said in the guide. So the buffs scale from physical damage as well, and presumably only from the base damage. I guess we really don't know how the buffs work after all! Although split damage was worse than single type in Dark Souls too, since damage increase was non-linear, i.e. the difference between 20-30 dmg would be much smaller than the difference between 300-310. However, an infused weapon with a corresponding buff in Dark Souls II seems to be consistently better than physical only, even with optimal scaling.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Toadsmash posted:

I must've killed that boss on 6 or 7 characters by now, including two magey types, and I've never seen that. This game is weird.

He does it on the way over to him, as opposed to an actual attack he does. Or so I assume, I was where the head is supposed to be and fell over dead for no reason. When I went back, there was a giant stone head.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 30, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

So what's the significance of the Giant Lord using a sword and clothes crudely imitated after Gwyn's belongings?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

He does it on the way over to him, as opposed to an actual attack he does. Or so I assume, I was where the head is supposed to be and fell over dead for no reason. When I went back, there was a giant stone head.

I think you're talking about the Giant Lord, not the Last Giant. Same guy but fought at different points in his existence.

The statue head is actually a semi scripted event that's caused by one of the giant fireballs hitting it as you approach. If you do it right you can trigger it without aggroing the other two giants and it'll kill them for you. It's a lot harder if you're trying to do it with Benhart though since the idiot just runs into the explosions and can get the giants to chase him out of the head's path.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regy Rusty posted:

I think you're talking about the Giant Lord, not the Last Giant. Same guy but fought at different points in his existence.

Oops, got them backwards. Sorry! Didn't know that about the head though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How can the Spider Drones (hollows with spiders on them) be that resistant to strike? :psyduck: My +8 Large Club doesn't even take off half their health with a twohanded R2 attack, and I'm at over 40 Strength. I expected some enemies to be more resistant than others, but this is just ridiculous.
The spiders themselves die easily in one attack (R1, R2, twohand, onehand).

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I did some more maths. Damage reduction is just 1 - hit damage / attack rating. You can see the % resistance going down as the damage goes up. The Zweihänder is the odd one out and I'm not sure what's happening there. DkS 1 had some weapons where individual moves did lower/higher damage than the AR and other weapons might imply so I suspect that the 1H R1 on the Zweihänder has a modifier on it that reduces the damage. The After reduction line takes 50 + half the weapons base damage and reduces it by the percentage determined in the damage reduction line.
As you can see it is in reasonable agreement with the real damage gain due to resonant weapon (except the Zweihänder again). The overestimate is probably due to the funkyness (scientific term) of damage resistance in this game.

code:
              Caestus (90+146=236)  Blacksteel Katana (190+98=288)   Longsword (225+85=310)  Club (210+121=331)  Zweihänder (350+91=441)

Plain Hit                143        184                              202                     218                 276                     
Hit with Reso Weapon     201        270                              298                     310                 394                      
Gained Damage            58         86                               96                      92                  118             

Damage reduction (%)     39.4       36.1                             34.8                    34.1                37.4
50 + 50% Base Damage     95         145                              162.5                   155                 225
After reduction          58         93                               106                     102.1               140

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dark Club (Phys 147+45, Dark 147+51)         Dark Claymore (Phys 203+31, Dark 203+51)
Plain Hit 218                                284
Reso Hit  357                                454
Gained    139                                170

Damage reduction (Physical + Dark) (%)
          44.1                               41.8
50+50% Physical/Dark
          123.5/123.5                        151.5/151.5
after reduction
          69/69 = 138 Total                  88.2/88.2 = 176.4 Total
In the second part I use the model for the physical damage to fit the dark damage. I went with 50+50% there too because why not and because I only have two data points anyway so gently caress it. As you can see that is in good agreement too.
Thus I propose that someone misunderstood someone somwhere and instead of adding 50+% to the elemental type appropriate to the buff it adds 50+% to both physical and the elemental type. I'm too lazy for more science today but someone should test if applying buffs with a different element to weapons that already have an element (i.e. Dark/Fire to Defender Greatsword) applies 50+% to both elemental types.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

turtlecrunch posted:

Just in case you guys didn't know, the patch notes are also in English from an official source here: http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/

Bad Staff

"The affection degree to the spell effective time is adjusted to fluctuate depending on the status value."

Oh, well that clears things right up.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Internet Kraken posted:

Last Giant becomes such a depressing fight once you get to the end of the game and realize what his story is :smith:

Poor Giants. They just wanted to chill on their island doing...whatever it is Giants do. Then Vendrick hosed everything up.

Nuh uh! Vendrick stole their magic XXXXXX and the giants went into murder frenzy and basically burned themselves out trying to stomp vendrick.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

turtlecrunch posted:

Bad Staff

These patch notes are even more 'ran through Google Translate' than the leaked notes.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

drat sympathizers.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

f#a# posted:

"The affection degree to the spell effective time is adjusted to fluctuate depending on the status value."

Oh, well that clears things right up.

According to reddit, this line says something like "The duration of your spells will now be influenced by your stats."

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Luisfe posted:

I am so goddamn bad at the game that it took me more tries for Pursuer's second fight than to beat the Smelter.
:negative:
Hah, same with me. Something about his swing timing is much different than Smelter, so I kept screwing it up and getting hit (playing dual-caestus guy so I'm relying on correct roll timing).

I found that rolling to his right is the way to go because even if you screw up the timing on his curse-skewer attack, he'll generally whiff it. Unlike if you mess it up and dodge left.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

More lore speculation, chances are the thread already covered this but I'm just finally getting around to finishing the game the first time since I haven't been able to play on my own computer since this came out:

Re Ancient Dragon: I initially thought that the lack of a proper name for him was just some bit of lazy/bad writing given he's a fairly major character who walks and talks, but Shanalotte happens to mention when you're traipsing across the bridge to the Throne of Want that she was born without a name, but she was given this one by the Ancient Dragon (or was it Aldia, I don't remember off hand). If the Ancient Dragon was created, maybe he was just never given one. Or maybe he doesn't have one because he's a quasi deity (a label Shanalotte also gave him, incidentally) and it'd be blasphemous or something. Just thinking out loud I guess.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

NTT posted:

You know, in hindsight I did see that warning. However I was far too "YAY DARK SOULS" to really think about it. I've been trying to play the game without 0 knowledge or internet to help me advance, just like it would have been had the game came out in the 90s. I came into the game blind, but it appears I unintentionally hosed my experience by making it way more :darksouls: than it needed to be.

I did this as well and it was worth it just for when I realized what I'd done, turned it off, and proceeded to kill bill my way through three levels :madmax:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

"Motion" means moveset, that's all.

The game internally uses "Weapon Motion" as its name for moveset.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I can't help but wonder why they're changing the parry mechanics for all curved swords instead of just the Monastery Scimitar.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Colapops posted:

I can't help but wonder why they're changing the parry mechanics for all curved swords instead of just the Monastery Scimitar.

The twist is that they're giving ALL the curved swords the MS parry :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Flytrap posted:

The twist is that they're giving ALL the curved swords the MS parry :v:

Even as someone that uses an offhand scimitar, please don't joke about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Colapops posted:

I can answer that.

The Monastery Scimitar's weapon motion for parries is the exact same weapon motion as every other curved sword. No really, it doesn't have some sort of special unique parry.

This means that some property of the weapon itself, possibly a low moveset delay, is interacting with the regular curved-sword parry to introduce the instant parry.

So, they have two choices:

1) Edit the curved sword parry, maybe to have a guaranteed minimum delay

or

2) Edit the Monastery Scimitar and reduce its overall moveset speed. Which would make it suck.

Sounds like they chose the lesser of two evils here.