Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

After hating swords and magic type BS I've finally gotten into Game of Thrones and now I want to try some swords and magic BS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

massive spider posted:

After hating swords and magic type BS I've finally gotten into Game of Thrones and now I want to try some swords and magic BS.

You know I used to hate gun BS but then I saw [military movie] and now I want try some gun BS.

Someone please recommend me a game with guns in it. Cool ones. I expect a great, personalized recommendation based off of this wonderfully detailed request.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Chomp8645 posted:

You know I used to hate gun BS but then I saw [military movie] and now I want try some gun BS.

Someone please recommend me a game with guns in it. Cool ones. I expect a great, personalized recommendation based off of this wonderfully detailed request.

Check out the Turok series on N64. Pretty good.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah hit me, I want some dragons. Biggest dragons you got.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

...Skyrim?

e: I mean seriously, there's loads of differently playing fantasy titles and a bit more information on what you're looking for would help. But either way: Skyrim, Dark Souls (2 has more/bigger dragons), Kings Bounty, Heroes of Might and Magic, Dark Messiah Might and Magic, Baldur's Gate, Legend of Grimrock, Dungeon Keeper, Two Worlds... the list goes on.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 30, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
In Skyrim you can mod in bigger dragons. Theoretically, I would suppose there is no limit to the size of the dragon you intend to create. Perhaps the entire gameworld can take place on the back of a giant dragon, who is himself mounting a much larger dragon.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

massive spider posted:

Yeah hit me, I want some dragons. Biggest dragons you got.

Divinity 2 - developer's cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzsg_WkSI6s

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just go to the Steam store, browse the RPG section, sort by highest price, and buy the twenty most expensive RPGs you can find, and all the DLC for every title. Should be a dragon or two in there.

Just play Two Worlds.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Take up a Monster Hunter game, you won't find any bigger dragons than that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Play Dragon Commander so you can be the dragon.

And also confer with your council and hear impassioned arguments before you decide to legalize gay marriage or the smoking of elf weed.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

massive spider posted:

Well as it happens there's a Game of Thrones RPG! http://www.gameofthrones-rpg.com/

From what I hear it's pretty clunky technically, but has good writing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

The thing that really gets me about Transistor is that after every fight, it pauses and displays a sort of scoreboard, with no score on it. Every one of them is "You killed all enemies." No bonus for time or damage taken, so there's no reason to try to finesse fights, just hammer them down. Since there's no bonuses, why pause for a scoreboard after each fight? It just interrupts everything.

That's not a scoreboard, it's to show your experience gained so you always know how close you are to a level. Though I will agree that Transistor isn't anything special.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
Recommend me an MMO that's harder than WoW but only slightly easier than EVE that isn't P1999 EQ1. I'd prefer it to not have active combat, as is the trend du jour. Thanks!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Recommend me an MMO that's harder than WoW but only slightly easier than EVE that isn't P1999 EQ1. I'd prefer it to not have active combat, as is the trend du jour. Thanks!

ArcheAge looks like it's going to be the new poo poo. F2P Korean MMO ported over by Trion, with grinding and poo poo properly adjusted for American standards. Has WoW-like combat system, ownable property with farming, pirate ships, and a player-driven trade economy like EVE.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Perpetuum?

I admit I've never actually played it, but it's likened to EVE a lot, and the combat is not active.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

Ess posted:

Perpetuum?

I admit I've never actually played it, but it's likened to EVE a lot, and the combat is not active.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Maybe active combat wasn't the right word...I'd prefer combat to be less focused on directional attacks like in Guild Wars 2 or Final Fantasy XIV. I guess not directional combat?

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

Cantorsdust posted:

ArcheAge looks like it's going to be the new poo poo. F2P Korean MMO ported over by Trion, with grinding and poo poo properly adjusted for American standards. Has WoW-like combat system, ownable property with farming, pirate ships, and a player-driven trade economy like EVE.

This looks really interesting...I'll sign up for the beta. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm in the mood for a star wars game. Preferably a newer one, and I've already played KOTOR one and two. I would get into the old republic, but eh. Never been a big fan of MMOs.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm in the mood for a star wars game. Preferably a newer one, and I've already played KOTOR one and two. I would get into the old republic, but eh. Never been a big fan of MMOs.

The Force Unleashed?

edit: I think the Jedi Knight games are all on Steam as well. Does anyone still play Jedi Academy?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

The Force Unleashed?

edit: I think the Jedi Knight games are all on Steam as well. Does anyone still play Jedi Academy?

It was kinda a stupid question, because of course there's literally a wikipedia page on star wars video games. Still, that's probably what I'm going to go for, thanks!

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

Nordick posted:

Well as it happens there's a Game of Thrones RPG! http://www.gameofthrones-rpg.com/

Chiming in to say that while the combat mechanics etc. are nothing new or fantastic, they're pretty functional and didn't detract from the rest of game, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

massive spider posted:

If you've got a console, check out Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. It's all about swords and magic BS. Plus climbing up a Cyclops and stabbing it in the eye.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you've got a console, check out Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. It's all about swords and magic BS. Plus climbing up a Cyclops and stabbing it in the eye.

Seconding this, Dragon's Dogma is a phenomenal game, real dark fantasy, lots of horrible things that want you dead and a ton of loot options, plus a not-poo poo combat system designed by one of the Devil May Cry peeps.

I'd like some recommendations please: I've just finished Deadly Premonition, i'm a big fan of these pseudo open world story driven games with tons of side quests and things to do. I've played most of the Yakuza games too. Just wondering if there's anything else similar out there on PC or PS3?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Not especially, though Sleeping Dogs is a little like that, but it is an open-world game - just one with little (though still good) gunplay. Alternatively, get a Dreamcast emulator and play yourself some Shenmue.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Iron Rose posted:

Republic Commando, Battlefront, or LEGO Star Wars?

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

Not especially, though Sleeping Dogs is a little like that, but it is an open-world game - just one with little (though still good) gunplay. Alternatively, get a Dreamcast emulator and play yourself some Shenmue.

+1 to Sleeping Dogs. I just beat it and it was a fun ride. Once you complete the storyline, they let you continue to roam Hong Kong to wrap up any side quests and gather collectibles. I'd definitely recommend this game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Iron Rose posted:

I think it's worth looking into Old Republic. It's the only MMO where the story content was able to remain interesting. There's no doubt about it, its an MMO, but its also very noticeably a KOTOR game. Its also free. I say fire it up, play some story missions for a bit, and see how you like it.

It also has some of the coolest intro cinematics I have ever seen for anything, ever. I have only the most passing interest in Star Wars (more of a Trek guy m'self) but if the Star Wars movies were even 1/4 as cool as that intro cinematic...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

I enjoyed the poo poo out of Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, and they both hold up pretty well today, although there's a few levels in Outcast that need to gently caress right off.

Jedi Knight has aged extremely ungracefully, sadly.

Dark Forces I think still holds up pretty well, but it's also probably much older than you're looking for. I also hesitate to recommend it until the DarkXL engine remake is finished, but since the developer refuses to open-source it for some headfucked reason and has a habit of loving off for months at a time, that probably won't be until sometime in 2025 :argh:

vv I think Outcast was better written but Academy had better level design and combat. They're both worth playing.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 31, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

It was kinda a stupid question, because of course there's literally a wikipedia page on star wars video games. Still, that's probably what I'm going to go for, thanks!

IMO Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast is superior to Jedi Academy. Better written (although it's still an early 2000s shooter, don't go in expecting Shakespeare) and better pacing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Iron Rose posted:

Since SWTOR is free now you should really give it a try, it does have some of the MMO bullshit, but it also has a purely KOTOR / Mass Effect style story which is actually pretty drat good.

double nine posted:

IMO Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast is superior to Jedi Academy. Better written (although it's still an early 2000s shooter, don't go in expecting Shakespeare) and better pacing.

Academy lets you do some fun things but its far less polished overall. Outcast is definitely the better game.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Academy does have the benefit of being able to rush force choke ASAP. :allears:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think it's worth looking into Old Republic. It's the only MMO where the story content was able to remain interesting. There's no doubt about it, its an MMO, but its also very noticeably a KOTOR game. Its also free. I say fire it up, play some story missions for a bit, and see how you like it.

It also has some of the coolest intro cinematics I have ever seen for anything, ever. I have only the most passing interest in Star Wars (more of a Trek guy m'self) but if the Star Wars movies were even 1/4 as cool as that intro cinematic...

Okay I'll admit that was incredibly cool.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Recently my fiancee has gotten into adventure games. She played Machinarium and Botanicula and liked the art style and music of those but I think she would be open to other adventure/puzzle games as well.

Can you recommend me some adventure games to her she might like? The last one I played was probably Full Throttle or The Monkey Island series, so clearly I'm not in the know when it comes to adventure gaming.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Xarthor posted:

Recently my fiancee has gotten into adventure games. She played Machinarium and Botanicula and liked the art style and music of those but I think she would be open to other adventure/puzzle games as well.

Can you recommend me some adventure games to her she might like? The last one I played was probably Full Throttle or The Monkey Island series, so clearly I'm not in the know when it comes to adventure gaming.

Double fine's broken age (though it's only half-finished. Expect the second half to land sometime late this year). Its currently available first half is relatively easy, but is well written and quite charming.

Other than that, the Planescape Torment of the genre is probably Grim Fandango. Extremely good story, decent puzzles, great worldbuilding.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xarthor posted:

Primordia's a good scifi romp with pretty logical puzzles. Also, if she can handle some gore/swearing, both The Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us series have been excellent.

Stay far away from Daedelic games. They suffer from severe old school adventure game logic so they're terrible for newcomers. Do not buy ANYTHING from Penumbra as all of their adventure games are awful all around.

EDIT: \/ Blackwell is definitely a good choice too. Most of the stuff Wadjet Eye produces/publishes is good.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 1, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xarthor posted:

Old-school: all the classic LucasArts stuff. Sam & Max Hit the Road, Loom, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, any others I've forgotten.

Modern: Primordia and the Blackwell series are both good (and I liked both much more than Machinarium, which I stopped playing when I reached the point where writing programs to solve the puzzles for me was more fun than actually solving them). The Telltale Sam & Max games are also nice.

I'm also a big fan of the first-person puzzle games, Myst-style, and if that appeals to her the Myst series is the obvious place to start, as it's aged quite well. (Play RealMyst instead of Myst: Masterpiece Edition, though.)

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
The Book of Unwritten Tales was a pretty neat adventure game with logical puzzles:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/215160/

The sequel (Critter Chronicles) was mostly more of the same but some of the puzzle solutions got a little ridiculous.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Nordick posted:

"Crusader Kings 2" is a far better "Game of Thrones" game than the actual "Game of Thrones" game.

Even though it's not an RPG and disappointingly lacks dragons.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Ceyton posted:

"Crusader Kings 2" is a far better "Game of Thrones" game than the actual "Game of Thrones" game.

Even though it's not an RPG and disappointingly lacks dragons.

Especially with the Game of Thrones mod for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xarthor posted:

Anything by Telltale Games is really good, especially The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us. The only exception is the Jurassic Park game, which isn't all that great.