Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I wish it were easier to get people to leave. I think I've seen people emigrate exactly once. The rest of the time, it's just endless waves of ill-educated plebs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

escalator dropdown posted:

Completely true. In my latest game, I've taken to flinging down 6-8 ranches whenever I start running out of uneducated jobs. Lots of llamas to feed wool into the cloth/clothing production chain, some pigs/goats/cattle for food variety. Keeps the dummies busy, and doesn't require corn as an input like factory farms do. That and dropping down blocks of new tourist development from time to time.

I think I've probably got 10? high schools, all packed, have the Visa immigration option picked, and I still end up blowing stacks of cash to import more high school educated citizens to fill those jobs anyway.

I think I'm up to 2700 or so population on that game using the population uncap mod, no issues so far. I did cap it at 5000, since I believe I read it really does start getting unstable above 6000 or so regardless of hardware.

Pictures please, I want to see that island and the oceanic traffic jam. How long have you played that game in eras and ingame years?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Completely true. In my latest game, I've taken to flinging down 6-8 ranches whenever I start running out of uneducated jobs. Lots of llamas to feed wool into the cloth/clothing production chain, some pigs/goats/cattle for food variety. Keeps the dummies busy, and doesn't require corn as an input like factory farms do. That and dropping down blocks of new tourist development from time to time.

I think I've probably got 10? high schools, all packed, have the Visa immigration option picked, and I still end up blowing stacks of cash to import more high school educated citizens to fill those jobs anyway.

I think I'm up to 2700 or so population on that game using the population uncap mod, no issues so far. I did cap it at 5000, since I believe I read it really does start getting unstable above 6000 or so regardless of hardware.

Try putting museums next to the schools with the Field Trip option. They give nearby highschools +25 effectiveness and they stack.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Care to share the source of your population mod? I want to fill an island with urban sprawl too.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I played out a huge sandbox game to the 2,000 population limit and I think the game kinda breaks towards the end. There's no endgame content once you unlock all the techs, and there's weird effects like all the uneducated jobs drying up once you build hydro farms everywhere. I'd pay for a late-game DLC to give you some interesting events and goals once you have fancy buildings everywhere.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

After my last sandbox through to 2020, I am now of the opinion that construction in this loving game blows. I've waited 10 years for a stadium and geothermal to be constructed, alone, by 4 cons. companies at max budget with full workers. This is horseshit, and I basically left the game cause I'm tired and bored of playing. You might as well treat all buildings as double cost items, cause it has never outside of colonial been worth waiting for them to loving do something. Get rid of this poo poo or fix their lazy asses.

Also do teamsters just poo poo themselves past a certain level of production, I started having so many plantations going into overstock mode with empty factories, and I had 10 of those spread out at max workers/budget, but up until the end they functioned alright.

Alya
Apr 30, 2008

JosefStalinator posted:

Care to share the source of your population mod? I want to fill an island with urban sprawl too.

Go to your Tropico folder and make a CommonLua subfolder. Put a textfile into that folder with this in it:

code:
OnMsg.ClassesPreprocess = function()
    const.PopLimit = 5000
end
Make sure the text file has a .lua extension.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
When someone builds a shack, I want to know why. I want a status message on the shack that's like "no housing vacancies", " vacant housing too expensive ", "vacant housing too far from workplace", and whatever other magical things make people prefer to live in shacks over empty, poor-friendly mansions with 100 housing quality.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

When someone builds a shack, I want to know why. I want a status message on the shack that's like "no housing vacancies", " vacant housing too expensive ", "vacant housing too far from workplace", and whatever other magical things make people prefer to live in shacks over empty, poor-friendly mansions with 100 housing quality.
I've had people plop down shacks quite a far distance away from their workplace, even though there are empty homes closer than the shack.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
People will also move in to a shack that's got space even if it's halfway across the island.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I'm still trying to figure out why I have 60 open jobs of various levels, and 30 people bitching they're unemployed :psyduck:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Kammat posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why I have 60 open jobs of various levels, and 30 people bitching they're unemployed :psyduck:

On the front page of the Almanac, if you click "Unemployed", it'll show you a bar graph of education levels needed and education levels available.

Bunch of grade school graduates all up in here... Where the gently caress do they even go to school?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
:siren: Constition modifiers cheatsheets :siren:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
How do you get rid of lots of people at once? The "religious" faction is refusing to vote for me and they need to be eliminated. But there do not appear to be any options for "emigration = mandatory if faction = x." I know I can go through the faction list one by one and issue a "kill" order but that's tedious, slow, and expensive. Not to mention, they always seem to come back. Is there any solution to deal with them in a permanent and final way?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A final solution, if you will?

az
Dec 2, 2005

DreadLlama posted:

How do you get rid of lots of people at once? The "religious" faction is refusing to vote for me and they need to be eliminated. But there do not appear to be any options for "emigration = mandatory if faction = x." I know I can go through the faction list one by one and issue a "kill" order but that's tedious, slow, and expensive. Not to mention, they always seem to come back. Is there any solution to deal with them in a permanent and final way?

The social engineering edict in modern times may do what you're looking for. But instead of getting rid of them it's supposed to make them like you.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DreadLlama posted:

Discredit the leader, run a smear campaign, and run policies that encourage other factions, like social engineering. You don't necessarily have access to all of this until later on though.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
That seems more effective than demolishing their homes and enabling "fire at will" whenever rebels are nearby.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Burn their churches and silence their uprisings with the military.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Been doing that. But I mistakenly allowed everyone to vote. Seems that should only be done after you eliminate everyone who disagrees with you.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Did you set the constitution to state atheism?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's too bad you can't "plot to assassinate" troublesome leaders. If they combined Tropico-style gameplay with the character personality traits and intrigue of Crusader Kings 2, it'd pretty much be my perfect game. :allears:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

It's too bad you can't "plot to assassinate" troublesome leaders. If they combined Tropico-style gameplay with the character personality traits and intrigue of Crusader Kings 2, it'd pretty much be my perfect game. :allears:

Yeah that applied to internal cabinet politics would rule.

You just know Penultimo's gunning for the bauxite throne, that backstabbing motherfucker.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah that applied to internal cabinet politics would rule.

You just know Penultimo's gunning for the bauxite throne, that backstabbing motherfucker.

Appointing Gen. Hernandez of the Militarist faction to Secretary of War will net you major brownie points with the militarists, but he may also use his position to siphon funds for the military and build loyalty to himself. Watch out if you fire him, though, because he might turn against you and plot to seize power himself in a coup!

You can appease the Communists by making Pablo Colon your Minister of Labor, but this may engender discontentment among the Capitalists, who may appeal to the USA for an intervention, as well as alienate your ambitious nephew who's gunning for a position in the cabinet...

Man that would be awesome.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Appointing Gen. Hernandez of the Militarist faction to Secretary of War will net you major brownie points with the militarists, but he may also use his position to siphon funds for the military and build loyalty to himself. Watch out if you fire him, though, because he might turn against you and plot to seize power himself in a coup!

You can appease the Communists by making Pablo Colon your Minister of Labor, but this may engender discontentment among the Capitalists, who may appeal to the USA for an intervention, as well as alienate your ambitious nephew who's gunning for a position in the cabinet...

Man that would be awesome.

Also Colon's daughter is married to Beaudet, the religious leader, who's actually French and has very strong tie to the EU. He's also sleeping with Sunny on the side.

Yeah that needs to be Tropico 6.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So whats the best way to reduce rebels? I have rebellions an uncomfortably high amount of times even though the rebels including their leader nearly all have 50% or higher approval for me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Do you have Amnesty enacted? If your happiness is high enough, they should come back into society.

Otherwise, provoke them and cull them.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Incite them to battle and slaughter them?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Do you have Amnesty enacted? If your happiness is high enough, they should come back into society.

Otherwise, provoke them and cull them.

Yeah I enact Amnesty every time it's off cool down and they never seem to drop below 10. I've fought and won against them over ten times now. They lose their little units but I'll always see a rebel citizen flee and go about their business.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
So what are we supposed to do with the information our bleeding edge surveillance states produce? I now know this dude is a crime lord, what does that mean? Is he stealing from me? Is he reducing crime safety? Should I banish him? Kill him? What about rebels? Would gunning down known rebels in the street just produce more rebels? Or are they freebies?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Tehan posted:

So what are we supposed to do with the information our bleeding edge surveillance states produce? I now know this dude is a crime lord, what does that mean? Is he stealing from me? Is he reducing crime safety? Should I banish him? Kill him? What about rebels? Would gunning down known rebels in the street just produce more rebels? Or are they freebies?

Banishing them removes corruption (in the case of crime lords, notice how they're way richer than their co-workers) or rebels, in the case of rebels.

Banishing and killing peoples does generate unrest, which... You don't want an uprising. I haven't survived one yet.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Oh, I assumed unrest made people more prone to becoming rebels, instead of being an entirely different track. That's good to know, this unlocks some options for me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah the uprising is more "arab spring" than "cuban revolution". Bunch of mobs appear and start loving poo poo up; they will outnumber your military, they will win.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why is there no legal way to deal with criminals and crime lords and rebels and poo poo? I wish there was a "build case" or "investigate" button that set you police against them to actually remove them legally and with due process without making people super mad.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Why is there no legal way to deal with criminals and crime lords and rebels and poo poo? I wish there was a "build case" or "investigate" button that set you police against them to actually remove them legally and with due process without making people super mad.

According to every other thread in GBS, D&D and A/T, that should also make people mad. gently caress the po-po, man, like, freedom!

I do miss imprisonment, mind you. I want my drat labor camps!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I always play with free elections turned on which apparently makes uprisings impossible, so I kill and banish to my heart's content. I constantly have "very high" unrest, but again as far as I can tell it actually has no effect as long as I keep free elections on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FrozenVent posted:

According to every other thread in GBS, D&D and A/T, that should also make people mad. gently caress the po-po, man, like, freedom!

I do miss imprisonment, mind you. I want my drat labor camps!

Oh yeah I'm ok with it still upsetting people. Even if they have rock solid evidence their cousin is a crime boss his family and his network of crim buds are going to get pissed the government dared to successful prosecute him. But it shouldn't make the general population upset, just their immediate "allies".

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They don't have prisons? Then what do you do with crime? (Do people turn into Professional Criminals as a job in Trop 5?)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Speedball posted:

They don't have prisons? Then what do you do with crime? (Do people turn into Professional Criminals as a job in Trop 5?)

Nah, they just have a "Crime lord" role on top of their job, it's a new mechanic.

You kick 'em off the island or kill their sorry rear end. It's very inefficient, they could be growing pineapples instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Speedball posted:

They become Crime Lords and those have to be discovered by police. About the only thing you can do to them is banish them from tropico, which confiscates their assets into your swiss bank account, and pisses people off, which ups your revolt risk. As far as I know, there's no way to lower revolt risk, and the only way to deal with it is to swap to democracy to prevent uprisings.

The same is true for rebels, sadly. It's silly that we have the tools to find these people, but then we have no tools to do anything to them. It's a real missed opportunity for what could have been such a neat system.

• Locked thread