Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Satorr posted:

There's learning from playing someone better than you and there's getting smashed so loving hard that you can't make heads or tails of what is happening. There is a difference.

There's a difference, but both experiences are valuable. In either case the smart play is to save the replay and rewatch it later with an eye towards preventing that blowup in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Satorr posted:

There's learning from playing someone better than you and there's getting smashed so loving hard that you can't make heads or tails of what is happening. There is a difference.

if you can't make heads or tails of what's happening, that means you're not paying close enough attention. Like sarchasm said, save the replay and watch it until you get it.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

burger time posted:

You can always work on learning to block.

Typically that's what I do. I watch for sequences in what they do and try to figure out what simple punishes or escapes are possible at the end of block strings.

Yes, that's learning, but it's also not very fun, which is why I play games in the first place. Same thing when I get paired with someone who is far, far below my general skill level. I'd always rather play someone relatively more skilled than me, but not by a thousand miles. I'll still learn a fair amount, rounds can be close, it's exciting and fun. For me, steady practice and progress is a lot more effective than jumping from multiplication tables into calculus.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hey everyone, remember to remap your buttons after applying that Steam patch because apparently that information isn't carried over with your save!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Satorr posted:

Typically that's what I do. I watch for sequences in what they do and try to figure out what simple punishes or escapes are possible at the end of block strings.

Yes, that's learning, but it's also not very fun, which is why I play games in the first place. Same thing when I get paired with someone who is far, far below my general skill level. I'd always rather play someone relatively more skilled than me, but not by a thousand miles. I'll still learn a fair amount, rounds can be close, it's exciting and fun. For me, steady practice and progress is a lot more effective than jumping from multiplication tables into calculus.

Look at this loving scrub, wanting to have some fun against people close to his skill level when playing a video game. What an idiot.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Learning fighting games is pretty off putting if you can't celebrate things like anti-airing a much better opponent even though you got wrecked afterwards.

MILF destroyer
Feb 6, 2014
Is it possible to change my gamertag now? I called myself something dumb and would like to change it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MILF destroyer posted:

Is it possible to change my gamertag now? I called myself something dumb and would like to change it.

You can change your name on steam as much as you want.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Itabashi Zangief betrays Gief to play Hawk instead, reaches #39 on the overall ranking (10th in Tokyo). I don't even play Gief and I feel betrayed!

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The online seems generally the same except sometimes what would have been just lag will be replaced by a full freeze with "Waiting for other players.." popping up before resuming as normal. The netcode IS different, but it's not necessarily worse. It's hard to judge without playing someone you played with a lot before.

The sound bug with the announcer being really loud and seemingly out of sync is super annoying, I have no idea how they could've caused that. Also not having an in-game microphone config is terrible, but at least you can mute someone in the lobby if you notice their mic echoing everything back at you.

Hopefully some of the quirks get patched up but so far it seems mostly fine, just a bit different.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The online seems generally the same except sometimes what would have been just lag will be replaced by a full freeze with "Waiting for other players.." popping up before resuming as normal. The netcode IS different, but it's not necessarily worse. It's hard to judge without playing someone you played with a lot before.

This doesn't reflect my experience. Out of ten people I played and who I have never experienced lag against before only one connection was decent. And by that I mean it was almost as good as GFWL. It was unplayable against all others, either because of a kind of lag I have never even experienced with GFWL or because of constant 'Waiting for other players...'.

I really hope they fix this before Ultra or the PC community will just vanish. :ohdear:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

AnonSpore posted:

Itabashi Zangief betrays Gief to play Hawk instead, reaches #39 on the overall ranking (10th in Tokyo). I don't even play Gief and I feel betrayed!

It is only natural at the end of every SF games lifespan, that T.Hawk becomes top tier :getin:

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
T Hawk looks so fuckin good in Ultra. My friend already plays a lot of T Hawk. I am terrified.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Greensboro is like the T. Hawk capital of the world so once Ultra comes out, this is going to be really interesting.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

As someone who has suffered along with Hawk since super, I consider his new godhood divine punishment against you all.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

a!n posted:

This doesn't reflect my experience. Out of ten people I played and who I have never experienced lag against before only one connection was decent. And by that I mean it was almost as good as GFWL. It was unplayable against all others, either because of a kind of lag I have never even experienced with GFWL or because of constant 'Waiting for other players...'.

I really hope they fix this before Ultra or the PC community will just vanish. :ohdear:

It also thinks "same skill" is A+ rank players now, when I'm sitting at D on Abel. I don't mind getting smashed by better players, but when I turn switch to same skill it should at least try.

poo poo's more broken than GFWL. Only Capcom.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Evil Canadian posted:

It is only natural at the end of every SF games lifespan, that T.Hawk becomes top tier :getin:

Was he actually good in Alpha 3? I thought that game was Cody and Claw all day.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Bovineicide posted:

Wasn't he only in the console only version of the game? He never did rate getting into the game proper :(

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Bovineicide posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA T.Hawk was loving horrible in Alpha 3.

Evil Canadian posted:

Wasn't he only in the console only version of the game? He never did rate getting into the game proper :(

Yes he was in the only version of the game worth playing.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Evil Canadian posted:

gently caress, you're right. Now I'm sad :smith:

At least he got to be the original bullshit vortex character.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

MrJacobs posted:

Yes he was in the only version of the game worth playing.

Well to me no version of alpha 3 is worth playing :shobon: Alpha 2 was where it was at.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
When you play people better than you (actually better than you, not higher PP than you--like people are are actually better than you, since PP means nothing) you learn stuff with less effort. Let's take some easy examples of how playing someone better than you will break a bad habit.

You are playing against a dude that always option select sweeps in all of his jump-ins and blockstrings, and you have the bad habit of always back dashing on wakeup. Against a mediocre player, you will just keep getting away with backdashing and never learn to block. Against a good player you're going to eat the sweep like four times, and then you're going to suddenly start blocking. It's like you're a dog getting hit for being bad, and you just learn through reinforcement rather than thinking or trying or putting in actual effort.

Then carry this to a number of other things. Against a better player, your oki never seems to crack them open, and they tech every throw attempt. This is clear indication that your offense isn't good enough, and your throws are probably super obvious. You then have to try to tighten up your oki and be more tricky, thus getting better. This one isn't as "automatic," but it's pretty automatic sign that your offense isn't good enough when you can never crack someone open. Against a player at the same level as you, all the dumb poo poo you do that isn't really good is going to keep working, so you'll just keep doing the same dumb poo poo forever.

The only way that playing someone better than you isn't FUN and won't help is if you make dumb excuses like, "Well he's A+ rank on pointless online rankings, and I'm only C in pointless online rankings, so I never had a chance anyway" and leave the lobby or stop trying to beat him. You know someone is super clearly better than you only when they beat you match after match (or in an offline tournament,) not when you see their online ranking.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Evil Canadian posted:

As someone who has suffered along with Hawk since super, I consider his new godhood divine punishment against you all.

If Yun could receive all those buffs, T.Hawk can still get a gun. Ask Capcom for a gun.

systran posted:

When you play people better than you (actually better than you, not higher PP than you--like people are are actually better than you, since PP means nothing) you learn stuff with less effort. Let's take some easy examples of how playing someone better than you will break a bad habit.

To be fair, PP CAN be indicative of a good player, it's just that the number itself is not enough so it may as well be useless for the average person. If you know the general location of that person and whether that person is willing to play anyone at any given time (including any killer netplayers that would be close by geographically), then 5000+PP is more likely impressive than not.

Whenever I did play ranked on AE, most of the fun I had was in seeing how high I could maintain my PP while playing absolutely everyone as long as it wasn't a terrible connection.. it can get really hard!

apple fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 30, 2014

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Complaining about being matched up against an A rank player when you're trying out a new character is dumb because it assumes that at any given time there are always tons of other people online at the same rank as you just waiting around to play and that's not always true. Sometimes the only guy looking for a match at the same time as you is someone way higher (or lower) ranked than you.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

I'm loving that no one seems to realize that their mic is on after the Steam patch. If anyone here knows Hologram Mike Ross, be sure to congratulate him on the money he's saving on condoms now that his significant other is on the pill.

If you don't want to transmit every single noise you make, unplug your mic or go into Steam and in View > Settings > Voice you can enable push to talk. Set it to a key you don't use and your mic will only transmit while you hold down that key. It might save you some embarrassment!

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 30, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Elephant Ambush posted:

Complaining about being matched up against an A rank player when you're trying out a new character is dumb because it assumes that at any given time there are always tons of other people online at the same rank as you just waiting around to play and that's not always true. Sometimes the only guy looking for a match at the same time as you is someone way higher (or lower) ranked than you.

Used to be using custom match and setting skill to same explicitly avoided that. You'd get stuck hitting the button over and over until someone in your range created a lobby.

Yes, thank you, I know. Sometimes, people just want to loving chill out and have a round or two, and matchmaking that does not allow this is lovely. I play with people I know when I want to sit down and actually make an effort to learn.

Sarchasm posted:

I'm loving that no one seems to realize that their mic is on after the Steam patch. If anyone here knows Hologram Mike Ross, be sure to congratulate him on the money he's saving on condoms now that his significant other is on the pill.

If you don't want to transmit every single noise you make, either unplug your mic or go into Steam and in View > Settings > Voice you can enable push to talk. Set it to a key you don't use and your mic will only transmit while you hold down that key. It might save you some embarrassment!

That setting only affects steam chat voice, unless SSFIV is now the only game in the history of steam to use that setting for itself.

Edit: yep, tried it, doesn't work.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

I hope this doesn't mean that Gief is really crappy in Ultra. :smith:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Character rank/BP also doesn't matter at all for matchmaking. It's purely based off PP which is considered your "overall" skill.

If you can find a good player online, keep playing them if they'll keep playing you. I'm one of those guys who won't keep playing a way lower skilled player in ranked because I figure they don't want to keep playing me, but if they repeatedly join my lobby or want to endless I'll play them. At the same time I hate when a better player beats me and I can't ever find them again. It's the only way you'll get better and it becomes increasingly harder to get that experience online the better you get, so enjoy it while it lasts!

Or just don't ever get better and keep whining about losing to better players.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have never met people so hostile to the concept of "Sometimes I just want to chill" before I started trying to play fighting games.

Everyone I play with regularly is leagues beyond me and I win maybe 2 out of every 10 rounds :ssh:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Pomp posted:

That setting only affects steam chat voice, unless SSFIV is now the only game in the history of steam to use that setting for itself.

Edit: yep, tried it, doesn't work.

Post edited to reflect this new information, thanks.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I dunno, I can chill when I'm losing...that's hwo chill I am

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
SF4 AE and its DLC is currently 75% off on Steam.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Ryuga Death posted:

I hope this doesn't mean that Gief is really crappy in Ultra. :smith:

He was actually playing Hawk a lot in AE as well, if he switched to Hawk as his main character I think it has more to do with Hawk being really good now than Zangief being bad.

Zangief in 2012 is actually looking good IMO: EX greenhand xx ultra 1 is crazy, his LP greenhand went back to being -2 on hit, and he's got way better pressure off an SPD because of the faster greenhand.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Periodiko posted:

He was actually playing Hawk a lot in AE as well, if he switched to Hawk as his main character I think it has more to do with Hawk being really good now than Zangief being bad.

Zangief in 2012 is actually looking good IMO: EX greenhand xx ultra 1 is crazy, his LP greenhand went back to being -2 on hit, and he's got way better pressure off an SPD because of the faster greenhand.

I hope the nerfs to his jumping HP and standing MP aren't too bad.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ryuga Death posted:

SF4 AE and its DLC is currently 75% off on Steam.

So I just got myself a hot new gaming/work rig. Am I right in assuming the upgrade to Ultra is going to be the same on PC as console? Like, if I snag AE2012 on Steam all I have to do is pay for the Ultra DLC when it drops and it just upgrades AE, right?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

AndyElusive posted:

So I just got myself a hot new gaming/work rig. Am I right in assuming the upgrade to Ultra is going to be the same on PC as console? Like, if I snag AE2012 on Steam all I have to do is pay for the Ultra DLC when it drops and it just upgrades AE, right?

Yes.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Pomp posted:

I have never met people so hostile to the concept of "Sometimes I just want to chill" before I started trying to play fighting games.

Yeah, seriously. It is true that beating my head against the brickwall of a better player until I come out with some better ideas on how to do things is a very good way of learning how to play the game better, however it's kind of a endurance thing and continuing in the face of many losses is kind of disheartening and sometimes I'm not always prepared to treat my video games like an athletic competition and push myself through all that. Props to you if you can stay on fire all the time but I haven't the mental fortitude.

Not saying I want to win effortlessly and all that jazz but when I'm not in the mood for that kind of uphill struggle, being matched with someone who has several thousand more of WhateverPoints and obviously grossly statistically outclasses me is frustrating. Matchmaking being set to "Same Skill" is supposed to make this not happen but it kinda just doesn't work, I don't know why criticizing this fairly evidently busted bit of matchmaking is met with hostility.

or maybe i'm just a stupid scrub who needs to get gud, which is basically all I can do since they ain't fixing that poo poo.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
If you don't care about winning, don't bitch about losing. It's that simple.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Yeah, seriously. It is true that beating my head against the brickwall of a better player until I come out with some better ideas on how to do things is a very good way of learning how to play the game better, however it's kind of a endurance thing and continuing in the face of many losses is kind of disheartening and sometimes I'm not always prepared to treat my video games like an athletic competition and push myself through all that. Props to you if you can stay on fire all the time but I haven't the mental fortitude.

Not saying I want to win effortlessly and all that jazz but when I'm not in the mood for that kind of uphill struggle, being matched with someone who has several thousand more of WhateverPoints and obviously grossly statistically outclasses me is frustrating. Matchmaking being set to "Same Skill" is supposed to make this not happen but it kinda just doesn't work, I don't know why criticizing this fairly evidently busted bit of matchmaking is met with hostility.

or maybe i'm just a stupid scrub who needs to get gud, which is basically all I can do since they ain't fixing that poo poo.

The fact it unless you are a masochist you are going to learn better playing people your skill level who go out of their way to show you poo poo, rather than just beat you up and tell you what you did wrong, most people I've approached this way seemed to have a lot more fun learning this way as well. That's just how most people work. If you are one of those people who don't give a poo poo about getting bodied 100 times than that's the best way to go however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You can't even turn off music anymore :wtc:

Broken Loose posted:

If you don't care about winning, don't bitch about losing. It's that simple.

You really don't grasp the concept of having more fun playing a close match, do you? It's not about losing to the better players, it's about the game's option to play with people near your level not loving working; and it wasn't an issue until today.

• Locked thread