Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I want to say last time this came up in a thread, both of them were pretty comfortably in the multi-millionaire range in American dollars. They aren't billionaires or anything, but Toriyama especially would never have to work again for a couple life times if he didn't want to.

Japan doesn't have much in the way of the ultra billionaires we have in the West, even for heads of major megacorporations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Zorak posted:

Japan doesn't have much in the way of the ultra billionaires we have in the West, even for heads of major megacorporations.

Yeah, the Japanese elite power is more soft power (influence) than direct hard power (wealth).
Because power levels are bullshit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zorak posted:

Creators of popular manga / anime make quite a bit money, even something like shounen. Some of the big names are actually among some of the highest earners in Japan. The system is actually pretty favorable to creators in general in terms of rights and financial contracts. Hours are terrible if you're actively creating a weekly manga though. This is going off of memory, but I seem to recall one of the female authors actually topping the list of individual earners? Remember that all corporations in Japan don't actually pay much to executives etc. The companies keep most of the money corporate.

I think Oda is actually pretty filthy rich as a result of One Piece and its merchandising. Toriyama I would presume is pretty similar.

I've heard that Rumiko Takahashi is one of the richest women in Japan, but she had something like four really major hit series (which either overlapped or came out consecutively), which to my admittedly quite limited knowledge of the manga business seems to be the exception as far as the shonen/shojo mangaka go.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I remember reading that Akamatsu ended Negima because of a bill that Kodansha was trying to push that would have taken some kind of right away from the mangakas and given it to the publishers. Intellectual Property, maybe? I guess publishers are the same the world over. :shrug: It's definitely not as bad as comics over here in America, though. (Yet.)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Silento posted:

It's definitely not as bad as comics over here in America, though. (Yet.)

I don't think anything is as bad as comics are in America when it comes to divorcing creators from their creations. Early days of video games when creators were explicitly forbidden from crediting themselves is the only thing I can think of.

Japan is actually really good about that kind of thing from what I've read.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

DBZ Kai related news, I had a little feeling Toonami was hinting something by showing Cooler and saying DBZ back where it belongs on Toonami, DBZ Kai is going to be on Toonami. Didn't say anything about if it's starting from the beginning or from the Buu saga, but I'd expect them to show the uncut stuff and hell Buu saga will be only 1 script instead of the 2 they had.

http://www.junkiemonkeys.com/dragon-ball-z-kai-is-coming-to-toonami/

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IIRC Funi has no plans for working on a dub atm so they'd probably start showing from the beginning.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I assume Nicktoons would probably be pretty pissed if they didn't get first dibs on the Buu saga, seeing as how DBZ Kai was apparently pretty consistently high in the ratings, to the point where they even started airing GT and other old anime, so there's that too.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Genocyber posted:

IIRC Funi has no plans for working on a dub atm so they'd probably start showing from the beginning.

I thought the impetus for bringing Kai back in the first place was because of a lot of western pressure and asking for the rest of it. I distinctly remember hearing that there was some amount of network pressure to finish the series too.

In any case, Funi isn't just going to dub something related to DBZ :v:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
The revenge of cooler abridged is wonderful. :allears: Cooler's voice performance.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Sorry for the double post, but its been awhile since anyone posted.

I have a particular song request if anyone knows what it is, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCdxvwxe6B4&t=68s Starts at 1:08ish (the first track following the opening). I've always liked this background, anyone know what its from?

Heck, a list of all of the tracks found in the two "DBZ Episode #120, Pt. 1/2" soundtracks would be perfect, but its mostly that first tune.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I believe that track is Trunks Power-Up

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

One of my biggest dissapointments with GT (and thats hard. :v: ) is that trunks isn't cool.
Future trunks was cool in a 90's extreme way and chibi trunks was a goofy kid with additude. So that's nice.

GT trunks is a doormat that forgets he can fight and he wears space dad-clothes.
They should have brought back future trunks and chibi trunks, say current trunks is in hawaii or something and just rolled with those two.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
The show really didn't need a second Gohan--or a second Goku for that matter, or a second Buu, or a second Cell, or a second......

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

quote:

Kanzenshuu - During the Toonami industry panel at MomoCon this past weekend in Atlanta, it was announced that Dragon Ball Kai (under the standard international title of Dragon Ball Z Kai) will make the shift to Cartoon Network’s and Adult Swim’s programming block this fall.

The company’s English dub of Dragon Ball Kai, originally announced back in February 2010 (almost a year after its Japanese debut), first aired on Nicktoons followed by a more-heavily-edited version via TheCW4Kids block (now a part of “Vortexx“).

The Majin Buu arc of Dragon Ball Kai, currently airing in Japan and as-of-yet unannounced for the North American market, was not mentioned as a part of this announcement.

FUNimation has released the entirety of the Saiyan, Freeza, and Cell arcs of Dragon Ball Kai in double-disc packs and “season” sets on DVD and Blu-ray. At this point, all in-print home releases contain the replacement score of recycled Shunsuke Kikuchi music (from the original Dragon Ball Z broadcast).

Toonami began as an after-school block of programming on the Cartoon Network cable channel in 1997. Dragon Ball Z joined the lineup in late 1998 with FUNimation’s original dub of the first two “seasons” (previously aired in syndication from 1996-1998), followed by their in-house production of a third “season” in 1999, and onward from there to the end of the series and with subsequent series. Dragon Ball Z made its way to other, related programming blocks on the network such as the “Rising Sun” (with the Garlic Jr. arc) and “Midnight Run” (with the “Ultimate Uncut Edition”) blocks.

Toonami was re-launched as a part of the Adult Swim programming schedule for late Saturday nights / early Sunday mornings back in 2012. The channel recently aired FUNimation’s English dub of the fifth Dragon Ball Z movie with its original Japanese musical score, promoting it as Dragon Ball Z “where it belongs”.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

New DBZ eps are gonna air early Sunday morning? Holy poo poo that's a big nostalgia trip.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

XboxPants posted:

New DBZ eps are gonna air early Sunday morning? Holy poo poo that's a big nostalgia trip.

Early Sunday as in around the 12am block.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Silento posted:

Early Sunday as in around the 12am block.

So are they going to be uncut or the same episodes they've been showing for years? Because without a Buu Saga announcement I'm failing to see why this is really news.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

crankdatbatman posted:

So are they going to be uncut or the same episodes they've been showing for years? Because without a Buu Saga announcement I'm failing to see why this is really news.

The other networks were showing censored versions. These are the uncensored dubs, if that kind if thing matters to you

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
And Battle of Gods is finally being released in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJHZekAz3Q

quote:

FUNimation has announced a North American limited theatrical run for the new film Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods from 05 August 2014 to 09 August 2014. Ticket information is not yet available, but the company has provided a sign-up form to be notified when said information becomes available.

Stunning animation and epic new villains highlight the first new Dragon Ball Z feature film in seventeen years! Beerus, the God of Destruction, travels to Earth in search of a good fight. Only Goku, humanity’s greatest hero, can ascend to the level of a Super Saiyan God and stop Beerus’s rampage!

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
I'm watching DBZ for the first time since high school. Now after marathoning until a season long Freeza battle, I'm just sick of it all and can't even begin to get into a Garlic Jr story arc.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Dude did you watch the original dub or Kai? If the former, lol. If the latter, still lol because you should've been watching DBZA

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
Hey be serious. I know Abridged is for laughs. I've never even watched DBZ before the Buu saga. And people on the internet say to stay away from Kai because you miss so much. Filler episodes are still awesome, for example I'm excited to see Piccolo and Goku get their driver's license.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

crikster posted:

Hey be serious. I know Abridged is for laughs. I've never even watched DBZ before the Buu saga. And people on the internet say to stay away from Kai because you miss so much. Filler episodes are still awesome, for example I'm excited to see Piccolo and Goku get their driver's license.

Goku and Piccolo getting their driver's license is one of the very few filler episodes worth the time. Kai doesn't really skip anything important, it's more cutting out Goku powering up for 2 months straight before any fight.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I prefer the manga and DBZ Kai because seriously I don't have the time to ever watch all of DBZ again. DBZ has a lot of scenes of guys just standing around grunting so they can pad out the show and save on the budget at the expense of pacing. It's been years since I've really sat down and watched DBZ proper, but just watching clips of it compared to Kai makes me feel that Kai is so much more watchable. The fights in Kai and the Manga don't drag on so much and are actually kind of suspenseful sometimes, too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

crikster posted:

DBZ Abridged is funnier and also better than the original series, Kai or otherwise.

edit: like this may sound like an extended practical joke but it's not, after the first ten episodes DBZA broke away from the meme-catchphrase style of its contemporaries and basically became "DBZ, but better." The important characters' personalities are intact but have funnier dialogue, the throwaway ones get rewrites which are appropriate and hilarious, the endless fights are cut down while still playing out coherently, etc, etc.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 30, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

crikster posted:

And people on the internet say to stay away from Kai because you miss so much.

The main things you'll be missing are endless stills and terrible pacing. But hey, if that's your thing, more power to you.

Also you should watch Abridged.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxxidation posted:

DBZ Abridged is funnier and also better than the original series, Kai or otherwise.

It really is at this point. It's kind of hard to nail down what it is exactly, but DBZA is a lot different from other Abridged series. I think it's

A) Due to genuinely liking the source material and

B) The fact that the core of each character and of events is mostly preserved intact, just exaggerated and made light of.

I find it hard to justify watching the actual series these days.

Edit: The actual series also doesn't have Super Kami Guru so, ya know, gently caress it.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 30, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Captain Oblivious posted:

It really is at this point. It's kind of hard to nail down what it is exactly, but DBZA is a lot different from other Abridged series. I think it's

A) Due to genuinely liking the source material and

B) The fact that the core of each character and of events is mostly preserved intact, just exaggerated and made light of.

I find it hard to justify watching the actual series these days.

Edit: The actual series also doesn't have Super Kami Guru so, ya know, gently caress it.

God it's so distracting to hear Android 16 because all I hear is Super Kami Guru.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Cell has DNA from all of the powerful fighters that have been in earth, right? Including Vegeta and...

The Vegeta/Cell right is going to be hilarious

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
I hope Kai cleaned the dialog up. When Dende summoned the dragon he was like "I'm ready to make my wish now, are you ready, i think we're ready, let's make a wish, what do I want? I know what i want bhlah blah blah" blathering on and I'm thinking OMG Freeza is coming you idiot Dende!!!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

crikster posted:

I hope Kai cleaned the dialog up. When Dende summoned the dragon he was like "I'm ready to make my wish now, are you ready, i think we're ready, let's make a wish, what do I want? I know what i want bhlah blah blah" blathering on and I'm thinking OMG Freeza is coming you idiot Dende!!!

I'm pretty sure it did. God, the original cut of DBZ would do anything to stretch out the material.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

And then in DBZA, not only does he do it on his own, he's sassing Frieza the entire time. It's great.

Sticky Keys Man
Oct 24, 2007
Just my package...

crikster posted:

As I remember, when he summoned the dragon during the SSJ Goku/Frieza fight, he flat out loving FORGOT what wish he was supposed to make. They just have this kid standing here, "hmm what was the wish again," while Frieza's spitting distance from the dragon. It was like an early precursor to Gohan missing the drat earring.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I love Abridged as much as anyone, but I enjoy Kai as well. It's nice to watch the series in a way that is similar to the manga. But oh dear god do not watch the original dub, it's inferior in every single way (including the soundtrack).

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

crikster posted:

And people on the internet say to stay away from Kai because you miss so much.

Keep in mind that a LOT of people's only exposure to DBZ Kai was when it aired on Nickelodeon with tons of edits and censorships, unaware that it aired in Japan first. These are the same people that claimed Nickelodeon "cancelled" DBZ Kai after the Cell saga because it sucked so much. The uncensored version of Kai keeps everything important in tact.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Torix posted:

Keep in mind that a LOT of people's only exposure to DBZ Kai was when it aired on Nickelodeon with tons of edits and censorships, unaware that it aired in Japan first. These are the same people that claimed Nickelodeon "cancelled" DBZ Kai after the Cell saga because it sucked so much. The uncensored version of Kai keeps everything important in tact.
Wait you mean Nickelodeon didn't show Vegeta flipping off the Ginyu Squad???

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
You mean Mr. Popo isn't blue??

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm pretty sure it did. God, the original cut of DBZ would do anything to stretch out the material.

I'm watching the original remastered. I just finished that 10 hour Freeza battle in season 3, and when it ended, it felt like it was ME that beat Freeza just by having forced myself to pay attention for 2 days. King Kai would say, "Oh no Goku, the planet is going to blow up in 5 minutes!" Then several episodes later, "Oh no, 1 more minute Goku!" Then another hour of watching. On the other hand I thought all the episodes were good for the most part. I especially liked when Goku fell off snake way and raced the Goblins in hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

crikster posted:

I'm watching the original remastered. I just finished that 10 hour Freeza battle in season 3, and when it ended, it felt like it was ME that beat Freeza just by having forced myself to pay attention for 2 days. King Kai would say, "Oh no Goku, the planet is going to blow up in 5 minutes!" Then several episodes later, "Oh no, 1 more minute Goku!" Then another hour of watching. On the other hand I thought all the episodes were good for the most part. I especially liked when Goku fell off snake way and raced the Goblins in hell.

For an example: DBZ had Goku charge up the spirit bomb for something like 10 episodes when it was only 2 in Kai.

• Locked thread