Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man, invading in the Saltfort is just mean. Everyone's terrified to come down to the water giants.

Batigh posted:

Crystal Soul Spear has 3 shots at 50 attunement, it probably gains a fourth at somewhat higher attunement, but I don't know what the breakpoint is. It only takes one spell slot, though, so I highly encourage you to run Freja multiple times via Ascetics for more copies, and might as well get an extra one for the MLGS while you're at it! Sure, spider-stomps will one-shot you almost for certain, but that's part of the fun!

Not after last night it's not. But I think I will anyway, since that's the Dark Souls way. Moonlight would almost certainly be better than the Watcher Greatsword for 50 int/50 att/18 str/ 18 dex right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

Man, invading in the Saltfort is just mean. Everyone's terrified to come down to the water giants.

Not after last night it's not. But I think I will anyway, since that's the Dark Souls way. Moonlight would almost certainly be better than the Watcher Greatsword for 50 int/50 att/18 str/ 18 dex right?
Of course, every build that can wield it and is a mage should get the MLGS. 2gud.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can't enchant the Moonlight Greatsword so probably not.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Even without enchantments it still kicks rear end. On a whim I tried it out on endgame NG+ opponents and unupgraded it still beat their asses.

Note that the character using it was not a mage, but a mostly pure melee build.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Speaking of water giants, I'm not sure if the ones in Saltfort are outright immune to certain magic (pyromancy in particular) or if the way they're half-submerged in the water just interferes with the spell hitboxes and such.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been terrorizing the same guy for the last fifteen minutes. I haven't killed him yet, just his phantom. I keep retreating to the water. He's afraid to follow. :v:

e: There's a time limit? Awwwww I got two more of them but the host was too afraid to show!

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been terrorizing the same guy for the last fifteen minutes. I haven't killed him yet, just his phantom. I keep retreating to the water. He's afraid to follow. :v:

e: There's a time limit? Awwwww I got two more of them but the host was too afraid to show!
Yeah, time limit for all phantoms. The duller you get means you don't have much time left. Shades have the lowest amount of time to work with.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

neetengie posted:

Yeah, time limit for all phantoms. The duller you get means you don't have much time left. Shades have the lowest amount of time to work with.

I was a box so I couldn't tell. :v:

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Colapops posted:

Speaking of water giants, I'm not sure if the ones in Saltfort are outright immune to certain magic (pyromancy in particular) or if the way they're half-submerged in the water just interferes with the spell hitboxes and such.

Backstabbing them is also wildly inconsistent I've noticed.

Sometimes I do 900ish damage, other times I do 2000+. :raise:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Kaldaris posted:

Backstabbing them is also wildly inconsistent I've noticed.

Sometimes I do 900ish damage, other times I do 2000+. :raise:

Some days, they just don't feel like unliving.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, so that's what you guys meant about NG+'s lead up to the chariot. My phantom bailed out and all the red phantoms attacked at once. Soul Greatsword only just barely managed to take care of them. The final phantom at the fog door went down as easy as ever though.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Colapops posted:

The way I always cleared out the water enemies in the Saltfort was to raise the elevator, dance around in the water to attract some attention and then lure them back over to the elevator room so they can tail sweep or roll themselves right into oblivion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did you know the headless guys in Earthen Peak can distort the trajectory of GRS? It curves around them.

e: Boy I wish this effigy would wear off. It doesn't stop npc invaders does it?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 30, 2014

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

scamtank posted:

They could've just as easily had the King's soul and armor set be looted from the pile of stuff he has lying in the corner.

Or they just wanted the set to be a reward for killing Vendrick? I'm not saying that there is no evidence for the whole regular vs super size argument (I think the small throne itself where you get the soul and set is legit) but I highly doubt the armor has anything to do with it.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Hikaki posted:

Or they just wanted the set to be a reward for killing Vendrick? I'm not saying that there is no evidence for the whole regular vs super size argument (I think the small throne itself where you get the soul and set is legit) but I highly doubt the armor has anything to do with it.

I mean yeah, they want the set to be a reward, but think about it from the other side of the coin: if that were the case, why bother showing a heap of entirely different armor by Vendrick himself?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I ran a 'refresh' in goddamn windows 8 under the pretense that all my files would be preserved, but my ~70 hour character got wiped anyway.

Any hope resurrecting ol' Sven? :ohdear:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Vendrick actually has one armor for normal wear and another set that covers his PvP hitbox. It's canon and how he made king.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Lesson learned: All the Way of the Blue peeps hang out in Dragon Aerie/Shrine in NG+. Getting summoned every five seconds to stomp dickwraiths owns.

Also: Beginning to suspect my Sentinel ring makes me literally immune to invasions because I still have yet to be invaded at all ever, ever. 8m SM

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lesson learned: All the Way of the Blue peeps hang out in Dragon Aerie/Shrine in NG+. Getting summoned every five seconds to stomp dickwraiths owns.

Also: Beginning to suspect my Sentinel ring makes me literally immune to invasions because I still have yet to be invaded at all ever, ever. 8m SM

That's also good to know as a bloodbro. I'll know where to invade to actually attempt to get some covenant progress.

At some point, I guess; that's really deep in the game.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

f#a# posted:

I mean yeah, they want the set to be a reward, but think about it from the other side of the coin: if that were the case, why bother showing a heap of entirely different armor by Vendrick himself?

I think this comes down to whether you think armor in this game has any significance to the story. I don't think it does or ever did in this series. The heap by Vendrick is his real armor, and the King's set that you get is just a video game reward.

It was mentioned before but there are plenty of cases where you'll pick up some equipment and it somehow fits you perfectly despite the enemy being a different size. Also when NPCs give you their weapon/armor; do they just strip down right there? If not then why are they carrying multiple perfect copies of their stuff? It doesn't makes sense within the story.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
More of my first ds2 playthrough starting in a couple minutes here: http://www.twitch.tv/gos_jim

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The main thing I got from this video is that I miss the chainmail not being in the game, cause now I can't be Scott Steiner.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You get to wear enemy armor like Smo&O's because honestly who didn't look at them and want to murder them and then put on their clothes? (or Marvellous Chester or Lucatiel etc)

If From cared that almost all the armor you wear should be way bigger than you and wouldn't let you get it, it would limit your options which would be a bad thing in a fashion and dressup simulator such as Dark Souls.

Incidentally when I thought armor mattered I tried to figure out Poise because it didn't make any sense compared to how simple it was in Dark Souls 1, and the wiki pages on it are absolute madness. Play Fashion Souls forever and never look back.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 30, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hikaki posted:

I think this comes down to whether you think armor in this game has any significance to the story. I don't think it does or ever did in this series. The heap by Vendrick is his real armor, and the King's set that you get is just a video game reward.

It was mentioned before but there are plenty of cases where you'll pick up some equipment and it somehow fits you perfectly despite the enemy being a different size. Also when NPCs give you their weapon/armor; do they just strip down right there? If not then why are they carrying multiple perfect copies of their stuff? It doesn't makes sense within the story.

There's plenty of videogame sizing and magic replication, sure, but this is different from usual practice. I argue this because modeling all of the king's weirdly big belongings strewn about in his cell was significant extra effort. A chest with the plot item in it would've done fine, and usually has.

(i think all the sperg is bled out now)

scamtank fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 30, 2014

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
It's certainly possible that Fromsoft was trying to tell us something important with the second little room with Vendrick's clothes, but if they were it wasn't a very good idea because, as others have said, armor size has always been inconsistent in these games. It's impossible to say for sure that this case is more significant than the others.

But hey, this game has a lot of clumsy storytelling in it! Just look at the small pile of rubble the shrine of winter lets you go around.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is the mace of the insolent as lovely a catalyst as it looks? Dark infused and at +9 it has a dark value of 120 or so, scaling included. I've kind of stopped using Blue Flame too, if only because I can't be bothered to keep using CMW on it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 30, 2014

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

That sure must be nice. I spent the tail end of NG pretty much getting dickwraithed every half hour or so from Amana straight through, sometimes more. 1-1.5M SM ish. Aaaand they've all but stopped again since I hit NG+. Irony!

Maybe I saved myself some headache by skipping out on the other two giant memories. Once I got the King's Ring, I went to Giant Lord, then straight to Nashandra. Completely by accident, of course, as I in no way spoiled myself on which giant memory was the mandatory one. I'm already regretting not finishing out the optional content before I made the plunge. I never found the NPC who lets you trade in boss souls for fun poo poo, either.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Last person talking about smelter might have been a few pages back now, but I just want to say that while there were some trolly people saying that holy water urns would instakill smelter (it won't of course) they are still really good on the fight if you are pure melee in NG. It takes about 20-25 with two phantoms, and while I've not tried holy water solo, it would follow that it would take maybe 10-15 without phantoms. So it's a viable option if you're having a ton of trouble.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Toadsmash posted:

That sure must be nice. I spent the tail end of NG pretty much getting dickwraithed every half hour or so from Amana straight through, sometimes more. 1-1.5M SM ish. Aaaand they've all but stopped again since I hit NG+. Irony!

Maybe I saved myself some headache by skipping out on the other two giant memories. Once I got the King's Ring, I went to Giant Lord, then straight to Nashandra. Completely by accident, of course, as I in no way spoiled myself on which giant memory was the mandatory one. I'm already regretting not finishing out the optional content before I made the plunge. I never found the NPC who lets you trade in boss souls for fun poo poo, either.

Perhaps if more people were committed to JUSTICE you could have been helped. :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Why defend the weak when you can bask in glorious incandescence together instead?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Everyone knows that the truest way to be grossly incandescent is via Blue Sentinel Rank 2/3 auras.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Thank you to whoever posted the memory watching trick for farming the mad warrior.

Works like a goddamn charm. :allears:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I wonder if Vendrick is a first name or a last name. I bet its his last name. I'd like to know the first.

Steve. Steve Vendrick.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

oldpainless posted:

I wonder if Vendrick is a first name or a last name. I bet its his last name. I'd like to know the first.

Steve. Steve Vendrick.

Maybe Rick. That was his wrestling name, Rick Vendrick. The best in all of Drangleic.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Everyone knows that the truest way to be grossly incandescent is via Blue Sentinel Rank 2/3 auras.

Rank 3 Bloodbro aura + Redeye Ring.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Kaldaris posted:

Thank you to whoever posted the memory watching trick for farming the mad warrior.

Works like a goddamn charm. :allears:

Memory chain?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Jamfrost posted:

Maybe Rick. That was his wrestling name, Rick Vendrick. The best in all of Drangleic.

That's why everyone has silly hats and masks, Drangleic is actually the secret ancient home of Lucha!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Jamfrost posted:

Tag team champions with Victor Velstadt.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

I ran a 'refresh' in goddamn windows 8 under the pretense that all my files would be preserved, but my ~70 hour character got wiped anyway.

if it's not in the save location (which the game would read if it was there) or backed up anywhere it's gone. there's no steam cloud support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Protagonist posted:

That has to suck, for the future:

http://www.gamesave-manager.com/ and link it to your dropbox.