Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

pokeyman posted:

Is there some trick to getting a specific scene into a highlight reel? I tried all the options under "edit highlight reel" but the only one that showed what I wanted to get was Full. There's no way to say "just make a 30s clip from here to here" that I missed?

If you have the bandwidth and patience, just upload the whole race and use YouTube's on-site video editor to grab the clips you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

OldSenileGuy posted:

Wondering this too.

Also, what weight class is Hank Hill

I'm pretty sure he is heavy. I'm also going to pretend the Steel Driver is a Propane grill converted into a kart.

edit: are people racing in the goon room atm? Whenever I check it's empty.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 30, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

CGH posted:

Yeah, I know, but I was just messing around with the Wiimote simulating playing the game, and having the wheel might be more comfortable in this case. I'd actually have to try it I guess.

Either way, I've re-decided to buy the game. Too many good things are being said about it to resist. I did alright in Super Mario Kart and 64 back in the day. From what I was hearing I just thought drifting would be more important now. Maybe for multiplayer it is.
The main things the wheel does is essentially make a bigger B button which makes it easier/nicer to press, and the shape makes it easier to steer with for whatever reason. I guess cause it gives you a better sense of a rotational axis, like it feels like...turning a wheel (albeit in mid air) vs tilting a stick. Either way I think the main key is having a good feel for where the "center" is, until you have that you'll have a tendency to swerve around constantly and have a hell of a time just on straightaways.

One more thing that might negate the need for alternate controls, does the left shoulder button give you any issues? I don't know about MK8 but you could hop with the left button in previous games I thought.

japtor fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 30, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

japtor posted:

One more thing that might negate the need for alternate controls, does the left shoulder button give you any issues? I don't know about MK8 but you could hop with the left button in previous games I thought.

You can't in 8. Both L and ZL are "use/equip item / honk horn". Unfortunately.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

You can't in 8. Both L and ZL are "use/equip item / honk horn". Unfortunately.
drat kids not being able to just chord face buttons.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I always scratch my head when modern games don't allow for remappable controls. I'm sure Nintendo thinks it's helping kids keep things simple by not including it, but Smash had control configs out the rear end.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Electromax posted:

Smash had control configs out the rear end.

That's a Sakurai thing, not a general Nintendo practice. It's dumb.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

I'm pretty sure he is heavy. I'm also going to pretend the Steel Driver is a Propane grill converted into a kart.

edit: are people racing in the goon room atm? Whenever I check it's empty.

How do you find the goon room?

edit: nevermind, read the OP

Squallege fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 30, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How do I do the flippy tricks?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

What's the deal with the unlockable stamps? Are those just for Miiverse purposes or something?

Picked this up earlier today and managed to squeeze in the first four cups on 50cc before work -- I can't wait to spend more time with it tonight. I got a pro controller specifically for this game, but it took forever to charge and so I was forced to use the gamepad instead. It actually controls far, far better than I thought it would -- it feels almost exactly like you're playing Mario Kart 7, except your hands aren't as cramped. I'll probably still use the pro controller more often than not, but it's nice to know the gamepad is a more than viable option.

Beef Waifu posted:

Hit ZR going off any kind of ramp. It works pretty much anytime you go airborne off of something, though it's not quite as generous/easy to exploit as it was in MKWii. You can do 'em on the moguls in the Star Cup snow course, too.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 30, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Electromax posted:

I always scratch my head when modern games don't allow for remappable controls. I'm sure Nintendo thinks it's helping kids keep things simple by not including it, but Smash had control configs out the rear end.

Its not just Nintendo, its almost all console games. A few FPS are the only ones that let you remap.

Thing is, remapping controls is that much more to implement and QA test. The implementation may not be thaaat costly, maybe you only need a teensy bit of art, but the QA alone is enough to make some devs say "gently caress it".

It really loving sucks though and people need to raise a stink about it so we can change :colbert:

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Add me guys!
NNID: Forbin5

I'll be racing in a couple hours!

CGH
Mar 31, 2010
That I can't just change one of the redundant L buttons to hop is what bothers me. Then the gamepad would work great.

I do bring this issue up in Club Nintendo surveys, for whatever that accomplishes.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So there's a bug in the game. Hit a dude with a shell of any kind and watch the replays, keep rewinding where the dude gets hit by the shell and the shell will keep spawning broken pieces until the screen is filled with shell parts.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This game is loving fantastic and kept me up until 3 last night. I wish I knew beforehand that playing 150cc also earns cups and stars on the lower classes. Mirror Mode doesn't apply to those rules, if anyone was wondering.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Move aside Mario, this is Waluigi Kart now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZeA0YmeBo

Lovin this game so far. I had to set the DNS on my Wii U to Google's free DNS in order to connect to Youtube for some reason though.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Slightly annoying that you can't send messages to the other players between races before you've picked your track, OR after everyone has picked. Doesn't give you much of a window to communicate if there aren't many players.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Beef Waifu posted:

As RumbleFish said, ZR. They also give a small speed boost, so its useful to try and get 'em.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Stopped by gamestop after work and picked up the bundle. I couldn't resist. See you bitches on the track.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Is there any way (other then waiting for july) to buy this digitally and redeem the coins for next year?

x239marine
Jun 20, 2009

'Thank you, I'm here till Duke's Day!
Is there any way to get the map displayed on the TV screen, I play multiplayer with a couple of pro controller's, but having all the rankings and map on the gamepad is annoying to glance at during a race.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hackan Slash posted:

Is there any way (other then waiting for july) to buy this digitally and redeem the coins for next year?

You can wait to do the survey. It doesn't give you the coins until you complete it.

x239marine posted:

Is there any way to get the map displayed on the TV screen, I play multiplayer with a couple of pro controller's, but having all the rankings and map on the gamepad is annoying to glance at during a race.

Nope.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Astro Nut posted:

Beef Waifu posted:

As RumbleFish said, ZR. They also give a small speed boost, so its useful to try and get 'em.

You can also give the GamePad a little flick up.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DoctorWhat posted:

If you have the bandwidth and patience, just upload the whole race and use YouTube's on-site video editor to grab the clips you need.

Seems like the only option. It was such a good red shell evasion...

x239marine
Jun 20, 2009

'Thank you, I'm here till Duke's Day!

drat :negative:

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Does the game actually get challenging on the higher difficulties? I just warmed myself up by playing the Mushroom Cup on 50cc and stayed in first pretty much the whole time.

Also, for those who want to know the character weight classes, there's a full list here.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

DoctorWhat posted:

Is there a way to do that? I just tried and the game told me I had to cut it down to 60 seconds or less before uploading.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
Just picked this up. Can me and another player on my console connect up to an Internet match?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
One more question: I know you unlock a single character by getting three stars on each cup. Do these stack? In other words, would playing a cup on 150cc for the first time and winning it get me three characters, or would I still have to go back and beat it on the lower classes?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Behonkiss posted:

Does the game actually get challenging on the higher difficulties? I just warmed myself up by playing the Mushroom Cup on 50cc and stayed in first pretty much the whole time.

Also, for those who want to know the character weight classes, there's a full list here.

That's how 50cc is, though, anyone who's touched mariokart before won't have too much issue getting gold in the 50cc cups.

Also, wow!
Stuff unlocks the same way in Multiplayer as Singleplayer now!
Was playing through with my sister, and we got new characters + unlocking the cups without issue in multiplayer.

Plus the game keeps the 1-3 star scoring as well.

It's nice, it might be a bit easier to get some of the 3-star things with some buddies helping.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Behonkiss posted:

Anyone with 2 functioning hands can get all 1st on 50cc. 150cc is where the real challenge lies.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

njsykora posted:

Anyone with 2 functioning hands can get all 1st on 50cc. 150cc is where the real challenge lies.

That's what I was hoping. Just wondering at this point if I can skip to the higher difficulties, or force myself through everything at 50cc if it's the only way to unlock all the drivers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You get a new character when you beat a grand prix you haven't beaten before, right? You should be able to just do 150CC and mirror cup for everyone.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Having a blast so far:

Done 2 circuits, got 3 stars in each. 50 CC.

What is the +/- thing that shows up at the top left after each race? I can't find it in the manual.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Waltzing Along posted:

Having a blast so far:

Done 2 circuits, got 3 stars in each. 50 CC.

What is the +/- thing that shows up at the top left after each race? I can't find it in the manual.

You can Favorite up to 6 races so that you can easily find them to make highlights in MarioKartTV later. That's what the + 0/6 is up there.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

insomne posted:

Just picked this up. Can me and another player on my console connect up to an Internet match?

Sure can just choose 2 player for online.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Shy Guy Falls is fantastic. What a lot of fun. Instant classic. Twisted Mansion is amazing, too.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Ending all the races with 10 coins is a lovely goal when you can only hold 10 coins and get blue shelled right before the end of lap 3 :sigh:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

GaylordButts posted:

Ending all the races with 10 coins is a lovely goal when you can only hold 10 coins and get blue shelled right before the end of lap 3 :sigh:

You don't need to have all 10 when the race ends, I got three stars when poo poo like that happened as well. I think you just need to aquire 10 at some point during the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Shy Guy Falls is fantastic. What a lot of fun. Instant classic. Twisted Mansion is amazing, too.

I loving love Shy Guy Falls. I think it's my favorite track. I really like the new Bowser's Castle and the Cloud track.

Also, my NNID is PBandAwesome.

I wanna race some fools!

• Locked thread