Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I know that balancing all the out of whack overpowered stuff is for the greater good but I was having fun with all the out of whack overpowered stuff in my NG+ :(

I'll miss you, monastery scimitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Cowcaster posted:

I know that balancing all the out of whack overpowered stuff is for the greater good but I was having fun with all the out of whack overpowered stuff in my NG+ :(

Maybe in rebalancing a lot of the curved swords will be decent options if the monastery scimitar is only marginally better. :)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Dark Souls™ experience

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Control Volume posted:

The Dark Souls™ experience

You're about to make Gavlan very happy.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

if it's not in the save location (which the game would read if it was there) or backed up anywhere it's gone. there's no steam cloud support.

I have a bunch of copies of my own save through no particular effort from me, thanks to system restore checkpoints. If you have that enabled, check the folder's Previous Versions tab? (Assuming Win8 retained that functionality, which I could assume but there's a whole lot of assumptions that could be made of the OS that don't work out)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

You're about to make Gavlan very happy.

As much as they improved the interface from Dark Souls 1, selling poo poo to Gavlan and even just cramming it all in the bottomless box still feels like an abominable chore to me. And this is coming from someone who meticulously prepared an individual storage location for each category of item in Skyrim.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cowcaster posted:

Did a patch push? Is there a God, and did he turn VAC back on?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

As much as they improved the interface from Dark Souls 1, selling poo poo to Gavlan and even just cramming it all in the bottomless box still feels like an abominable chore to me. And this is coming from someone who meticulously prepared an individual storage location for each category of item in Skyrim.

the constant confirmations make it worse, I think. it would've been better if they just made a buyback in case you accidentally sold something you didn't want to.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

NeurosisHead posted:

Not yet, but the patch notes were posted in Japanese and translated into more or less English in the past couple pages of the thread.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Cowcaster posted:

Not yeah, but the patch notes were posted in Japanese and translated into more or less English in the past couple pages of the thread.

The rumored dating sim aspect is now coming into play. Nashandra, here I come!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cardboard Box posted:

the constant confirmations make it worse, I think. it would've been better if they just made a buyback in case you accidentally sold something you didn't want to.

Yeah, the interface is better but still really clunky. See also: So soft, so smooth.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Finally got around to doing some IK bridge fighting and I've realized why I hated pvp so much until now. Invaders always got to me at the worst loving time- retrieving my soul, Dark Chasms, while fighting a Guardian Dragon, trying to get items from the lava, spawning behind me in the turtle corridor etc. But on the bridge everything's cool. If I die my soul is right there, there's no long backtracking to where I was going, no enemies or death drops. Just me and some Dragonbro sparring for fun.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
If I had known that I did not need to close and start the game again with the crows while I was playing the console version I could've saved a couple of hours.

And a couple more on PC until I realized it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

NeurosisHead posted:

It will appear on Monday, possibly, and I doubt it because He probably finds the almighty Barrel Armor funny.

So, if anything, turning (a proper) VAC on would be the work of a Lucifer who hates fun. Lord knows that From probably needs to make deals with the denizens of Hell to program one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

God willing the patch will fix the washing pole's hitbox. I don't care if they leave all the other broken ones in, just fix that one From.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Luisfe posted:

If I had known that I did not need to close and start the game again with the crows while I was playing the console version I could've saved a couple of hours.

And a couple more on PC until I realized it.

It took me way too long to figure out you could drop more than one item at a time for the crows. Playing menu DDR to drop 20 smooth and silky stones gets really annoying.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

God drat it I keep on running into people who are hacking their stats to absurd levels, if you're going to do this please have the decency to be good and kill me so I'm not stuck getting 120k souls or whatever from kicking your rear end.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

kazil posted:

It took me way too long to figure out you could drop more than one item at a time for the crows. Playing menu DDR to drop 20 smooth and silky stones gets really annoying.

Is there some kind of limit on how many at a time you can do it with? I dropped a stack of like 11 earlier today and they gave their usual rejection dialogue and wouldn't trade.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Toadsmash posted:

Is there some kind of limit on how many at a time you can do it with? I dropped a stack of like 11 earlier today and they gave their usual rejection dialogue and wouldn't trade.

You can only leave one at a time, but you don't have to quit the menu after each one. So just repeatedly leave one stone and when you're done quit the menu and collect all the items.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 31, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RBA Starblade posted:

God willing the patch will fix the washing pole's hitbox. I don't care if they leave all the other broken ones in, just fix that one From.

Funny enough, they can. Hell, I think I can fix it.

A weapon's hitbox length is controlled by a few numbers in each individual weapon's parameters. It is not bound by the weapon model in any obvious way I can see so far.

So, if they wanted to they could shorten it a bit.

---

Toadsmash posted:

Maybe try 4 or 5? There's a limit on the number of different items you can pick up in one grab, I believe it's 5. That's why they don't let you do the group drop, the game can't handle dropping a big stack.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 31, 2014

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Jamfrost posted:

The rumored dating sim aspect is now coming into play. Nashandra, here I come!

Forget the bony bitch, that super cool soldier from the memory is way better.

Control Volume posted:

God drat it I keep on running into people who are hacking their stats to absurd levels, if you're going to do this please have the decency to be good and kill me so I'm not stuck getting 120k souls or whatever from kicking your rear end.

I thought Vac was on, when did it go down? I just thought that people had found a way to never ever ever run out of stamina while they spam dual great demon hammers.

Also, I just started PVPing as a bellfry friendly guy. Is it just me or does everyone in the entire freaking world wear Dranglec armor? Like 90% of the people I face are wearing that set.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got tired of the black and gold of the dragon armor and ruin/velstadt armor combos, so I inverted it.

I probably should have bought the Throne Defender set instead of just the Watcher's back in NG because in retrospect it looks more like the armored robes I want for a battlemage since there really aren't any, but oh well.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 31, 2014

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Finally got around to doing some IK bridge fighting and I've realized why I hated pvp so much until now. Invaders always got to me at the worst loving time- retrieving my soul, Dark Chasms, while fighting a Guardian Dragon, trying to get items from the lava, spawning behind me in the turtle corridor etc. But on the bridge everything's cool. If I die my soul is right there, there's no long backtracking to where I was going, no enemies or death drops. Just me and some Dragonbro sparring for fun.

Supposedly what a lot of people wind up doing is slapping on a ring of soul protection or whatever when they get invaded at a bad time, and even if they die before they grab their souls, it won't create a new bloodstain so all you have to do is get your ring repaired or slip on a spare and head on back again.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

RBA Starblade posted:

I got tired of the black and gold of the dragon armor and ruin/velstadt armor combos, so I inverted it.

I probably should have bought the Throne Defender set instead of just the Watcher's back in NG because in retrospect it looks more like the armored robes I want for a battlemage, but oh well.

Huh. That's actually a pretty sweet combo there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Oblivious posted:

Huh. That's actually a pretty sweet combo there.

It's the Faraam helm, Throne Watcher armor, Heide Knight Leggings, and Steel Gauntlets if you want to try it for yourself. Decent poise too!

e: With Moonlight, when I get it should I magic infuse it or enchant infuse it?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 31, 2014

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

nftyw posted:

Supposedly what a lot of people wind up doing is slapping on a ring of soul protection or whatever when they get invaded at a bad time, and even if they die before they grab their souls, it won't create a new bloodstain so all you have to do is get your ring repaired or slip on a spare and head on back again.

Cool, didn't know it worked that way.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cainer posted:

I thought Vac was on, when did it go down? I just thought that people had found a way to never ever ever run out of stamina while they spam dual great demon hammers.

they took it down like 2-3 weeks ago to tweak it and it hasn't gone back up yet. I'm not confident it ever will.

Cainer posted:

Also, I just started PVPing as a bellfry friendly guy. Is it just me or does everyone in the entire freaking world wear Dranglec armor? Like 90% of the people I face are wearing that set.

in NG it's stat-wise the best set available for a good while, until you realize that armor stats don't matter and Fashion Souls reigns supreme.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

RBA Starblade posted:

It's the Faraam helm, Throne Watcher armor, Heide Knight Leggings, and Steel Gauntlets if you want to try it for yourself. Decent poise too!

e: With Moonlight, when I get it should I magic infuse it or enchant infuse it?

I'm probably going to be very-special-case wrong here for some reason I can't think of but you should never enchant infuse anything.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cardboard Box posted:

they took it down like 2-3 weeks ago to tweak it and it hasn't gone back up yet. I'm not confident it ever will.=

It was never on in a proper form to begin with.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cardboard Box posted:

they took it down like 2-3 weeks ago to tweak it and it hasn't gone back up yet. I'm not confident it ever will.

in NG it's stat-wise the best set available for a good while, until you realize that armor stats don't matter and Fashion Souls reigns supreme.

To be fair though, Drangleic Armor is pretty good looking.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

With Moonlight, when I get it should I magic infuse it or enchant infuse it?

provided you have the INT to take advantage of the scaling, you magic infuse it. it increases the damage fairly significantly.

Tallgeese posted:

It was never on in a proper form to begin with.

yeah, I know, and that's why they took it down. I doubt they'll figure out how to use it properly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I'm probably going to be very-special-case wrong here for some reason I can't think of but you should never enchant infuse anything.

Cardboard Box posted:

provided you have the INT to take advantage of the scaling, you magic infuse it. it increases the damage fairly significantly.

54 int. I recall hearing though that the one time you should use enchant over magic is if you have 50 and over, though. Is enchant just useless for everything then?

It never occured to me to ask before: what's that statue in the back of the pic I posted of my char in Majula? The one in the middle of the fortress there?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

RBA Starblade posted:

54 int. I recall hearing though that the one time you should use enchant over magic is if you have 50 and over, though. Is enchant just useless for everything then?

Basically yes. Magic infusion out-damages Enchant infusion in every constellation I've tried yet. DESPITE being a split damage type which has to go through two resistances.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

It never occured to me to ask before: what's that statue in the back of the pic I posted of my char in Majula? The one in the middle of the fortress there?

Enchant makes it so the physical damage of a weapon scales with Int. In the case of the MLGS is turns it from pure magic damage to pure physical damage as well. The issue is the scaling is so bad that it's never better than leaving it normal or making it Raw (and in MLGS's case it makes the r2s worthless because the magic beams will do no damage, since they need magic damage on the sword to work).

For MLGS you want Raw unless you have very high Int (~50). I also suggest dropping your Int to 50 and just spicing down the few spells above it. Those points are better put elsewhere.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Enchanted MLGS projectile does 0 damage, according to the wiki.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh, I didn't know enchant turned magic damage to physical. Thanks for the info, I'll make the MLGS magic then and just ignore my enchant stones forever.

Genocyber posted:

For MLGS you want Raw unless you have very high Int (~50). I also suggest dropping your Int to 50 and just spicing down the few spells above it. Those points are better put elsewhere.

The only reason it's still at 54 is I ran out of spices messing around. I'm at SL 190 though so whatever. :v:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

nftyw posted:

This really changes the mentality you need to be a maximum dickwraith too, because the most you can hope for against some people is wasting their time. Thus, killing them isn't always the goal, wasting their time is. Keep them from making progress on the earthen peak catwalks! Trigger all the traps on Iron Keep! Kill Lucatiel in No Man's Wharf and then black crystal out, forcing them to walk all the way back to the bonfire! Have them aggro and kill all the stone soldiers near the first Drangleic bonfire so they can't open any doors! Kill every single sunbro and blue cop you see with extreme prejudice!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Control Volume posted:

This really changes the mentality you need to be a maximum dickwraith too, because the most you can hope for against some people is wasting their time. Thus, killing them isn't always the goal, wasting their time is. Keep them from making progress on the earthen peak catwalks! Trigger all the traps on Iron Keep! Kill Lucatiel in No Man's Wharf and then black crystal out, forcing them to walk all the way back to the bonfire! Have them aggro and kill all the stone soldiers near the first Drangleic bonfire so they can't open any doors! Kill every single sunbro and blue cop you see with extreme prejudice!

Man, that's pretty cold. :gonk:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Another fun time is waiting outside the door to the poison room in Drangleic, and every time they try opening the door, attack them and prompt them to roll backwards, then close the door again. I once managed to hold that door against a group of 3 for around 5 minutes before they finally just ate the poison and spammed magic at me, forcing me back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There is a ring effect that allows you to disguise yourself as any flavor of phantom you wish.

It even lets you choose the timer gradation.

I have no idea if it transfers online. Further testing is needed.

EDIT: Oooh. Purple phantom.