Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The best part of that is his hand not actually holding the sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
The Free Comic Book Day book from Marvel this year featured the Guardians of the Galaxy on the cover and in the main story. No surprise, Marvel has the upcoming film. It's a good way to get a free promo out there, on a day when there are people in the stores that wouldn't be otherwise. So what does Marvel choose to show these casual fans that just MIGHT start picking up comics due to interest in the movie? Why, stuff like this of course:

Poor Starlord... I never knew he suffered from crotch-leg syndrome. I'm surprised Nick Bradshaw turned in something like that, I would think he had to be rushed. An editor letting that mess through is even worse.

Edit: It get's worse the longer I look at it. All I can picture is Ray Smuckels "What's... Where's... How do I even begin to describe your torso/legs situation!?"

Madrox fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 31, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As someone who knows next to nothing about GotG I'm assuming Drax's super power is electric jizz and Rocket has explosive farts. Do I have that right?

e: I'm trying to understand Rocket's position. His tail and right leg are behind Starlord who we assume is at the front of the group, but his left leg is in front of Starlord. In a 3D plane, Rocket's left leg is as long as his body.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 31, 2014

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
You know, from watching the trailers and knowing nothing about them, I can only agree with the cops/guards in it. The dude named himself "Starlord". He deserves everything he has coming for him. (The movie looks fun though, I'll be watching it maybe for just that reason).

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wow, that's gotta be the first time I've seen official art of a male having "Escher girl syndrome"!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Gamora's left polearm weapon looks to be coming out of Star Lord's knee. It creates a weird perspective/optical illusion where if you look at the picture, she looks normal size but if you focus in on that she looks like she's supposed to be tiny as poo poo.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I found some interesting covers from Detective Comics:

Great Art Deco skylines:

Love the expression on Batman's face

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Not really bad art, just unfortunate art.

(Daredevil 373)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Is that mouth turd supposed to be a cheeto?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Half a donut, I think.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Moon Knight #9

That Billy Sienkiewicz has got some chops.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Impressive panels. More impressive that Moony handsprung up onto a higher platform.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

Impressive panels. More impressive that Moony handsprung up onto a higher platform.

That's just science, man.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Is that meant to be a gang of people in capes, or just one guy turning as moon knight jumps around him?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
It's one guy turning (just look at how the smoke from the barrel connects each new shot, and how he lowers the gun after it goes click).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jack Kirby draws football for some reason.

Cleveland Browns

San Francisco 49ers

New York Giants

Green Bay Packers

Some sort of football Space God?

http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/blog/jack-kirbys-1973-nfl-artwork-fantastic-trippy-hell

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Clearly, this was Kirby's concept art for NFL Superpro. He always was ahead of his time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

a kitten posted:

Jack Kirby draws football for some reason.

I know I've given Kirby crap for some of his odder compositions over the years, but the pinkish dude holding his hands out like he just cost his team the Super Bowl is loving amazing physical storytelling.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
If I remember correctly that was actually some commissioned stuff for the NFL.
EDIT: I guess I could have just clicked the article.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

I found some interesting covers from Detective Comics:

Great Art Deco skylines:

Love the expression on Batman's face

Can somebody take the one where Bats is just swinging across the city remove the text, and turn it into a wallpaper?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Can somebody take the one where Bats is just swinging across the city remove the text, and turn it into a wallpaper?

Here's the biggest clean version I could find

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The 2014 She Hulk is not the best looking but #5 is absolutely awful looking, it looks like it was drawn with marker pens.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Anime_Otaku posted:

The 2014 She Hulk is not the best looking but #5 is absolutely awful looking, it looks like it was drawn with marker pens.

Sorry, but Ron Wimberly owns and Marvel is suuuuuper lucky to get him for an issue and some covers

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
poo poo I didn't realize that was the same guy. She Hulk was definitely a shock with how different it was, but I liked the art. Man that cover makes me sad because what if he was the permanent artist on Mighty Avengers :allears: :allears: :allears: :allears:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman Eternal 11 just came out today and it's crazy. Mainly because while the comic has had some decent stuff in it's rotating artists so far, it's mostly been your standard dreary Batmanny stuff, but this one...

Ian Bertram. Awesome.

Compare the bug head lady here to the same character on the cover by a previous interior artist on the series.

I think the issue is mostly stand-alone-readable if you wanna check it out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 18, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That kid is going to be a linebacker when she grows up.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I love pretty much everything about that except about half the faces and that weird granite kid.

e: also "Gonzolo" is not a name and "Dominguez" is not a Brazilian/Portuguese last name :colbert:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think the issue is mostly stand-alone-readable if you wanna check it out.

Oh comicbooks :allears:

Seriously you'd never see two male characters composed anything like that, aside from the spine breaking and all the mauve. Nice job DC! :thumbsup:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

To instill fear into their hearts, I became a fat.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've always liked Deodato despite his faults. He's put out some really awful, poser-esque stuff, and people's issues with his female characters are most often correct. But when he's on he puts out stuff like this:

At least in this case, his art also looks way better in black & white than it does coloured. The way he uses shadows is my favourite thing about him.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 18, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just picked that issue back up to see how I could have missed that Kirby Krackle, but it's clearly not in the issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SexyBlindfold posted:

e: also "Gonzolo" is not a name and "Dominguez" is not a Brazilian/Portuguese last name :colbert:

On Gonzolo, Google is asking me if I meant Gonzalo, but I'm getting mad Argentina Soccer player hits on Dominguez.
Maybe they're trying to smoosh 'Gonzo' into Gonzalo?

e:

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh comicbooks :allears:

Seriously you'd never see two male characters composed anything like that, aside from the spine breaking and all the mauve. Nice job DC! :thumbsup:

When Guillem March isn't drawing 'sexy', he does interesting stuff. I like his skies in a previous issue

and this shot of Alfred.

But he'll only be famous for Catwoman's boobs. Oh Well.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 18, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

IUG posted:

I just picked that issue back up to see how I could have missed that Kirby Krackle, but it's clearly not in the issue.

Marvel put out a digital-exclusive special edition of that issue with extra materials, which is where those came from. It's weird, because I don't think it's actually a poor colouring job, but it just looks so much loving better without colours.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I've always liked Deodato despite his faults. He's put out some really awful, poser-esque stuff, and people's issues with his female characters are most often correct. But when he's on he puts out stuff like this:

At least in this case, his art also looks way better in black & white than it does coloured. The way he uses shadows is my favourite thing about him.

Almost every panel is a miniature splash page with no coherence with the next one. The art is good, but there is no direction. I assume to blame the writer in such cases, though.

Teenage Fansub posted:

When Guillem March isn't drawing 'sexy', he does interesting stuff. I like his skies in a previous issue

But he'll only be famous for Catwoman's boobs. Oh Well.
The left dude has his arm coming out of his chest, and the other guy looks like a cheap mannequin. Not really great work.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

ryonguy posted:

Almost every panel is a miniature splash page with no coherence with the next one. The art is good, but there is no direction. I assume to blame the writer in such cases, though.

It's not actually in that order in the comic, there are pages in between. Also I agree with the OP the pages look better b&w.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It was completely legible in context, and you can't really judge the art direction without any.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Puntification posted:

It's not actually in that order in the comic, there are pages in between. Also I agree with the OP the pages look better b&w.

That's why I said panels.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It was completely legible in context, and you can't really judge the art direction without any.

There should be some sort of coherent narrative between panels on the same page. Almost none of those have any. At the end of the day, outside of avant garde stuff comics are a storytelling medium, and a visual one at that. When based solely on the visuals no discernible narrative structure can be seen, it is not being done properly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ryonguy posted:

That's why I said panels.

There should be some sort of coherent narrative between panels on the same page. Almost none of those have any. At the end of the day, outside of avant garde stuff comics are a storytelling medium, and a visual one at that. When based solely on the visuals no discernible narrative structure can be seen, it is not being done properly.

I don't really get you.

Page one: Close up character one talking to character two, close up character two talking to character one, two shot of character one and two establishing their spatial relationship, close up character two for more dialogue.

Page two: Character one speaking to character two over a body, Character two speaking to character one while doing magic with another character in the background, close up character two continuing magic with an image forming in front of him, jump cut to next scene with the character who's image he was conjuring.

Page three: Exterior ship flying from one location, interior ship three shot with all three characters speaking, shift to two shot with two characters continuing the conversation, exterior shot of ship heading to new location.

The direction seems fine.

I guess the second page might seem random if you hadn't just seen Punisher crouch over a body and Strange magic laso Wolverine in the previous scene and aren't seeing the dialogue and text boxes establishing the last panel, but luckily we do have that stuff!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 19, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Gene Ha's cover process on a gif

Is real pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fool_of_sound posted:

To instill fear into their hearts, I became a fat.
Hah!

I'm getting crazy Quitely vibes from this.