Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Helushune posted:

I'm exaggerating but it really is gridlock from about 6:30am - 9:30am and then again from about 2:45pm - 7:30pm on weekdays and that's all pretty typical. It may or may not be worse depending on what's broken on our toll bridge this week (TM) or one of our other increasingly aging and overworked highway roads.

I should probably have specified that "here" meant NYC, in reference to our traffic woes during the apocalypse(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Maintenance dude: "How should we handle a keyboard with a used condom on it?"
Me: "As a biohazard"

Maintenance dude removed the old keyboard and I replaced it with the crustiest used keyboard that I could find in my discard pile.

Remind me of a time a co-worker was working with a client to remove the optical drive from a Dell Latitude and the after taking it out the client went "Hey, there's a condom in here." Here being inside the system.

:smith:

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Ticket Severity: :supaburn:
Issue: COMPUTER IS hosed
Resolution: :dukedog:

Well, there is a hole!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Ticket Severity: :supaburn:
Issue: COMPUTER IS hosed
Resolution: :dukedog:

I think this thread has climaxed.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Stories like that are why I come to this thread.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

blackswordca posted:

So a two week notice was given in.

The owner I talked to actually swore pretty loudly and tried to match what I was making to keep me.

I didnt accept his offer.

I am staying for the two weeks, but I will be getting my vacation paid out so thats an extra 5 weeks of pay there. I start the new job June 16

I am going to Craft tonight to celebrate this. We collectively wish you the best :fuckoff: exit. If only you could get that animated and start sticking it on desks.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I am going to Craft tonight to celebrate this. We collectively wish you the best :fuckoff: exit. If only you could get that animated and start sticking it on desks.

Maybe ill talk to the goon that makes hard candy and get him to make up a batch of those.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
One of our corporate customers pushed a patch to live without doing internal testing and it destroyed their databases. Two of our guys have been working on the issue since 6am. Corporate home office woke up around noon and started literally sending an email every 5 minutes requesting an update on what had happened since the previous email. After an hour we get this email:

code:
Cesar,
Please escalate the issue. Their lack of response is reticules.
Thank you,
-B
That's the email, verbatim. Our guy responded with this:

code:
Hi B
We are still trying to fix the issue. Would you rather we spend our time looking at your email instead? 
That's the closest thing we've got to him putting his dick on the desk and being all :dealwithit:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:drat:

Certainly wanted to say something like that on many occasions.

That's one of the things I miss about doing 911: I was allowed (and expected) to be direct with shitheads.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Lightning Jim posted:

Remind me of a time a co-worker was working with a client to remove the optical drive from a Dell Latitude and the after taking it out the client went "Hey, there's a condom in here." Here being inside the system.

:smith:

Someone installed a Trojan.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

One of our corporate customers pushed a patch to live without doing internal testing and it destroyed their databases. Two of our guys have been working on the issue since 6am. Corporate home office woke up around noon and started literally sending an email every 5 minutes requesting an update on what had happened since the previous email. After an hour we get this email:

code:
Cesar,
Thank you,
-B

code:
Hi B
We are still trying to fix the issue. Would you rather we spend our time looking at your email instead? 
That's the closest thing we've got to him putting his dick on the desk and being all :dealwithit:

Although a lot of stuff is broken in my org, at least we have service and incident managers to run interference with the customers so actual problem solvers aren't saddled with that kind of poo poo.

Or is B internal and should drat well know better?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

code:
Cesar,
Thank you,
-B

code:
Hi B

When you say pushed a patch to live, was it a patch made by your company or are you providing support?

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

demonachizer posted:

When you say pushed a patch to live, was it a patch made by your company or are you providing support?

It's their software. We technically don't even support their software, just OS/Hardware/Network but mission creep had us doing "basic fixes" which snowballed in to this.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

It's their software. We technically don't even support their software, just OS/Hardware/Network but mission creep had us doing "basic fixes" which snowballed in to this.

Oh yeah. gently caress them then.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Someone installed a Trojan.

So good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There was a power problem in our building that took down half our floor but didn't hit the server room. Apparently the CEO was on a call to his wife when it happened and when he realized that his call wasn't disrupted by the outage got very excited because he thought this was a benefit of all the redundancy upgrades I was obliged to perform. He shouted to his assistant "THE UPGRADES WORKED!"

If I can't get credit for all the good work I've actually done I'll be happy to take credit for good work they only think I've done.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

2nd level support guy making way more money then me, I weep every time you get a ticket about printers and have to ask me what a print server is.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Lareous posted:

The random bursts of traffic outside of rush hour don't help either. I can get to Duluth from Marietta in 25~ minutes, or it might take 2 and a half hours.

Basically, the major roads in Atlanta are all more or less at or near capacity for most of the day every day, so if anything happens to interrupt traffic flow, no matter how minor, you end up with miles-long backups. People sitting in traffic for 30 hours or abandoned their cars for days during the snow this past winter wasn't "lol Southerners can't drive in snow" as much as it was an example of what happens when you take an inadequate road system, artificially create the worst possible rush hour imaginable (all of the area schools tried to stay open and then all closed at noon, as did most businesses and all government offices, so literally everyone in the metro area left work at the same minute), and then throw in a few impassable icy spots and a bunch of lane-blocking accidents.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hey look, it's two YOTJs in one year!

Last summer, I went from my cushy (but didn't pay well enough) non-profit healthcare IT job to a contract-to-hire at a ginormous retail chain.

Lots of great experience, but after 10 months, still no hire on the horizon.

So in March I started looking again.

Next monday I start a permanent position at a financial giant with better pay and massive fringe benefits.

I'll be sealing up my pod shortly.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'll be sealing up my pod shortly.

DT has taught us your pod can start leaking at any time. Always be looking to YOTJ

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

Oh, I plan on it. When I called her and told her I think she started crying she was so happy. There were days she told me she was going to come into the office, tell the owners to go gently caress themselves and drag me out.

You should still have her do this, on your last day.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Migishu posted:

You should still have her do this, on your last day.

I'd pay good money for someone to make a popsicle in the shape a cock-and-balls and a wrapper that says "Suck on this!" that you can give to soon-to-be-former bosses.

Also, I'm claiming the copyright on this, but I'm willing to share it for a small part of the proceeds.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I would chip in to get one of these. (Possibly NSFW)

less than three fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 31, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

less than three posted:

I would chip in to get one of these. (Possibly NSFW)

arrange by penis deployed internally via gpo

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

stubblyhead posted:

But what if they have auditing enabled! :haw:

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

less than three posted:

But what if they have auditing enabled! :haw:

Don't be silly, that would be entrapment.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

To keep the :yotj: train rolling I started a new job a couple weeks ago and it's pretty rad. No more user support of any kind, great pay and good benefits, working in a very well funded department with awesome coworkers. We get a couple training classes and conferences each year with all expenses paid for and cert tests paid for as well. Work-life balance is considered important and the workload is completely reasonable (working more than 40 hours a week is rare).

We had a team building exercise today which involved going out to BFE and shooting guns, fishing, and just hanging out.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

jim truds posted:

Yeah, Paladin is also now gainfully employeed. Congrats to all of the new working goons. I am going to miss your stories, they make me feel like I am not alone.

Yup, 5 ridiculous months of job searching ended with an offer letter yesterday. New position is contract but at a 45% raise over my last position, same benefits.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Did everyone just skip over "reticules" because poor spelling like that in an email is an everyday occurrence?

I mean, that's a pretty special mangling.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

stubblyhead posted:

You can't arrange my penis! But I can set it as your background picture.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

odiv posted:

Did everyone just skip over "reticules" because poor spelling like that in an email is an everyday occurrence?

Maybe he was trying to convey that they should be reticulating splines?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

odiv posted:

It's laughable just how many so-called professionals treat email like it's scratching a message on a bathroom wall, rather than an efficient business correspondence medium. One guy I worked with didn't even bother to separate his thoughts with punctuation when he sent emails and it was a chore to parse them.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Yup, 5 ridiculous months of job searching ended with an offer letter yesterday. New position is contract but at a 45% raise over my last position, same benefits.

I just counted resumes sent out from my log (required for unemployment :( ). Total: 559. 559 loving resumes at an average of 5.25 resumes sent out every working day for 5 months. That's enough to cover the "3 job contacts per week" requirement for unemployment for more than 3 and a half years.

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 31, 2014

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Che Delilas posted:

It's laughable just how many so-called professionals treat email like it's scratching a message on a bathroom wall, rather than an efficient business correspondence medium. One guy I worked with didn't even bother to separate his thoughts with punctuation when he sent emails and it was a chore to parse them.

I regularly have to deal with an engineer at a vendor who uses full stops instead of spaces.

Emails....come..in...looking...like...this

I guess because a normal full stop is smaller than a space he always puts more than one (of a random quantity) between each word.

I just can't understand it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zephirus posted:

I regularly have to deal with an engineer at a vendor who uses full stops instead of spaces.

Emails....come..in...looking...like...this

I guess because a normal full stop is smaller than a space he always puts more than one (of a random quantity) between each word.

I just can't understand it.

Overuse of ellipses infuriates me. What words are you leaving out you bastard????

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Reticules sounds like an autocorrect issue. Like they thought it was spelled "reticulous" and rely too heavily on spellcheck.

In true :yotj: fashion, my fiance has an upcoming interview. He currently works in EasyTech at Staples and is at the hourly wage cap. He's gunning for an internal Tier 1 tech support position at the bank where I work. I don't have any clout, I've only been here a year. But is there any advice that can help him hedge his bets? He knows his poo poo, but this would be his first helpdesk job.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
A ticket came in from Ops

"Everything is down!"

Being my pragmatic self, I doubt that. But he's right. The entire production VM cluster is down. Banking system, website, 4/6 DCs, Exchange, essentially everything.

So I start up the call chain, get infrastructure involved, network, management, etc.

Looks like one of the fabric switches died. Brought down an entire blade center.

So much for redundancy. I feel like tomorrow is going to be a very bad day full of questions from VPs and up.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

You didn't have two redundant fabric switches?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

orange sky posted:

You didn't have two redundant fabric switches?

Thought we did. Network team is in the DC right now trying to figure out what is going on. I'm sitting here with my thumb up my rear end waiting for my entire production system to come back up.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

martyrdumb posted:

Reticules sounds like an autocorrect issue. Like they thought it was spelled "reticulous" and rely too heavily on spellcheck.
Maybe he thinks it's pronounced like Hercules. If you squint your ears real hard it almost works.

I was confronted with a "It's perphatic!" once and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out they thought that was really how you spelled pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Anyone else feel like this is your job sometimes always?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

• Locked thread