Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

That factoid about the human body and the Sun angers me. There are a lot of ways to phrase and answer it so that is true (such as this). "Pound for pound, a human being actually generates more energy than the Sun!" is not one of them.

To keep things simple, one pound of Sun can be assumed to be one pound of hydrogen atoms. Four hydrogen atoms go into the p-p fusion chain that produces 26.22 MeV of energy at the end of it. 1 lb. is 0.453592 kg, which is ~453.592 mols of hydrogen, which is divided by four for the stoichiometry of the reaction to give 113.2847 mols of hydrogen which means there are 6.82 x 1025 fusion reactions in a pound of the Sun. This gives off 1.79 x 1027 MeV of energy, which converts to 2.86 x 1014 J of energy.

Using myself for the human, my basal metabolic rate is around 1979 food calories per day--meaning how much energy my body generates per day on average. Per pound that is 9.00 food calories, which is 37,000 J.

The sun produces 286,000,000,000,000 J per pound--in a few fractions of a second. The human body over an entire day produces around 37,000 J per pound. Do not believe Ripley's Believe it Or Not, it's full of poo poo.

(I grant you this is a Post-It Note calculation I did on my lunch break.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

:eng101:

The guy who has submitted the Finnish fact is a former writer in the Finland's most respected gaming magazines, an active politician who has been a parliamentary representative for two terms and generally one of the official nerds of Finland.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Valiantman posted:

:eng101:

The guy who has submitted the Finnish fact is a former writer in the Finland's most respected gaming magazines, an active politician who has been a parliamentary representative for two terms and generally one of the official nerds of Finland.

I just voted him in Euro parliament election a week ago. :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Eh, most of the sun isn't actively fusing. 3.85e26 W with a mass of 2e30kg isn't a great ratio in energy:mass.

A human body is about 100 W:70 kg, so significantly better.

edit - It depends on if you mean the pound being the mass being "used", or the mass of the object in question.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Scary Gary

Cow and Boy

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I maintain my theory that Jane's World is the dying lesbian fever-dream of Jane. I'll be vindicated when the characters start melding with their surroundings and the monsters show up. Let's get some Jacob's Ladder poo poo up ins already!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I like how Popeye has just given up and accepted that the sea hag lives in his toolshed now.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Never mind Ii, I've heard more snickering about Espoo.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

Midnight Moth posted:

Never heard that one before.

I am trying to figure out whether this is actually a comment about anti-vaxxers rather than about computers.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Kennel posted:

I just voted him in Euro parliament election a week ago. :v:

I was going to but forgot the whole election on Sunday. :negative:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Shugojin posted:

I like how Popeye has just given up and accepted that the sea hag lives in his toolshed now.

Popeye's thing is basically "well, this is happening," and I love it.

Nestorix
Aug 3, 2006

exotic particles

Vastakaiun posted:

I was going to but forgot the whole election on Sunday. :negative:

I voted, but alas...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Shugojin posted:

Here's a nice mental picture for you: the Sea Hag is naked in the shed right now.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

LtStorm posted:

That factoid about the human body and the Sun angers me. There are a lot of ways to phrase and answer it so that is true (such as this). "Pound for pound, a human being actually generates more energy than the Sun!" is not one of them.

To keep things simple, one pound of Sun can be assumed to be one pound of hydrogen atoms. Four hydrogen atoms go into the p-p fusion chain that produces 26.22 MeV of energy at the end of it. 1 lb. is 0.453592 kg, which is ~453.592 mols of hydrogen, which is divided by four for the stoichiometry of the reaction to give 113.2847 mols of hydrogen which means there are 6.82 x 1025 fusion reactions in a pound of the Sun. This gives off 1.79 x 1027 MeV of energy, which converts to 2.86 x 1014 J of energy.

Using myself for the human, my basal metabolic rate is around 1979 food calories per day--meaning how much energy my body generates per day on average. Per pound that is 9.00 food calories, which is 37,000 J.

The sun produces 286,000,000,000,000 J per pound--in a few fractions of a second. The human body over an entire day produces around 37,000 J per pound. Do not believe Ripley's Believe it Or Not, it's full of poo poo.

(I grant you this is a Post-It Note calculation I did on my lunch break.)

I knew there had to be some serious qualification going on in that "fact." Interesting they chose a form of qualification that makes it not true. :)

Luann

Horsing around with the kids by doing an overdramatic showy speech? THAT WORTHLESS BITCH.

Apartment 3-G

It's like her entire skull is trying to push its way out of her face.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh, gosh. I'm suddenly really interested in what Ock has planned. :allears:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh, gosh. I'm suddenly really interested in what Ock has planned. :allears:

He'll keep the other prisoners from escaping and will therefore be released as a hero.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

He'll keep the other prisoners from escaping and will therefore be released as a hero.

And Spider-man and/or MJ will be shocked and keep saying that the whole city has gone crazy. :allears:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

goatface posted:

Eh, most of the sun isn't actively fusing. 3.85e26 W with a mass of 2e30kg isn't a great ratio in energy:mass.

A human body is about 100 W:70 kg, so significantly better.

edit - It depends on if you mean the pound being the mass being "used", or the mass of the object in question.

Yeah, but one of the issues with the factoid in that Ripley's is that the Sun has structure. It isn't just a homogenous mass of incadescent gas where hydrogen is fused into helium, the fusion takes place in the core.

That 3.85e26 W (joules per second) the Sun generates specifically comes from 1,370,000,000,000 pounds of hydrogen fused per second. So based on that you have an efficiency of 2.81e14 W per pound. Which again comes back to the Sun, pound for pound, pumping out ludicrous amounts of energy compared to the human body giving off 0.64 W per pound.

So yeah, it depends on if you mean the pound being the mass used or just the mass of the object in question.

It's a question with a lot of very interesting answers, which is why Ripley's just tossing out the question is so lame past getting people to discuss whether they're right or not.

e: Hey cool, I got 2.86e14 J/s*lb in my first response and 2.81e14 J/s*lb in my second response. I just validated my method, and that is being a good scientist!

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 30, 2014

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Alibi's face in that third panel :allears:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't be surprised if it's been parroted around a lot by physics outreach people. It's one of those things like the old one of saying Saturn would float in a bath. You want to grab people's attention and make them go "What? That can't be right, that's dumb" in the hope they go and look it up.

A chunk of the comics page is too small to go into the details of stuff like nuclear fusion, but might be big enough to make someone go and learn something about just how stupidly large the sun is. They might even learn enough to have an intuitive understanding in situations with cubic vs square growth! We can dream.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Kennel posted:

And Spider-man and/or MJ will be shocked and keep saying that the whole city has gone crazy. :allears:

Oh man if JJJ starts hailing Doc Ock as a hero it'll be terrific.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

This is a lot funnier if you imagine Bob as Archer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I maintain my theory that Jane's World is the dying lesbian fever-dream of Jane. I'll be vindicated when the characters start melding with their surroundings and the monsters show up. Let's get some Jacob's Ladder poo poo up ins already!

There were already aliens and time travel...

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Giant rat person, use your skills of exposition to explain to the reader what the characters specialize in.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, Brother

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (April 27th 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam (March 24th 1983)

It's All Right Chief Dharma (October 23rd 2009)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Wanamingo posted:

Oh, Brother

drat, those are some fine kittens.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Giant rat person, use your skills of exposition to explain to the reader what the characters specialize in.

Well, he did that once already, so it's clearly his power. Guy's just tryin' to be useful!

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Aw, Phantom got friendzoned! And he always seemed like such an Alpha Male! :saddowns:

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Wanamingo posted:

Oh, Brother

Even the feral cats are suffering and yearn for the succor and plenty of the before-times :smith:

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
We've seen other people in Oh Brother! That joke isn't funny anymore.

This Geech isn't much either....

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LtStorm posted:

So yeah, it depends on if you mean the pound being the mass used or just the mass of the object in question.

It's obviously the mass of the entire object in question - the objects being compared are 'the human body' and 'the sun'.

If it were comparing the human stomach or the average human meal against the sun's fuel you'd have a valid nitpick.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

don Jaime posted:

We've seen other people in Oh Brother! That joke isn't funny anymore.

I disagree, it's the only way I can read it. If other people ever make regular appearances, I expect "Oh, Brother! With only Bud and Sis" edits.

infected penises optional

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cool Doc Rock's Puppy Playhouse

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 12, 1927)

Peanuts (June 3, 1967)

Funky WinkerOHCOMEON!

Popeye

Breezy: Avenging Ginger

Everything else later today, and this time I mean it...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Oh Scott :biotruths: Adams. There's this 140 page manifesto you might be interested in...

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Scary Gary

Geeze, Sweater Vest Dude, a mirror is right there.

Cow and Boy

Honestly? Not one of the betters arcs.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Non Sequitur

When I worked IT in the Biostatistics department of a major teaching hospital in Cleveland, I met plenty of brilliant surgeons who could not power on their computers, so just because he can't handle shoestrings doesn't mean he can't pilot a scalpel. I think... :v:

Heavenly Nostrils is 5/30's.

9 Chickweed Lane 5/31/2003

It's Belly Smacker, anyway, Brooke.

Zits

Depends on what time of day, I guess. I'd do that too if I started at say, 10pm.

Kevin & Kell

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma (October 23rd 2009)

This strip is better than any Dog Comix, and I actually like Dog Comix, so that's a genuine compliment. Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

I really like this one. Nice background details, and a classic Looney Tunes homage.

Ballard Street

I really like this one, too, but I really like every Ballard Street strip.

• Locked thread