Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

pacerhimself posted:

Do NOT read the comments. I've never seen such a failure to understand that they're getting hosed over by the people they so aggressively defend.

"My company dropped everybody's hours and gave the CEO a huge bonus. THANKS OBAMA!"

Yeah I have to deal with this stuff in my personal life.

"The government decided to contract out a service to the private sector which preceded to fire half the employees and slash the benefits of the survivors. See the government is terrible for workers!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
In fairness Obama privately asserted that it's his job to stand between the looters and "the pitchforks."

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

SedanChair posted:

In fairness Obama privately asserted that it's his job to stand between the looters and "the pitchforks."

Yeah, the president seems like more or less a national scapegoat than anything else.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Buzkashi posted:

Yeah, the president seems like more or less a national scapegoat than anything else.

That's kind of a hallmark of Democracy as long as it's existed, I'm afraid. Sometimes it's collectively getting together and deciding who gets the power. Other times it's collectively getting together and deciding who gets the blame.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Someone posted this on their facebook wall
https://wausaunews.wordpress.com/2014/01/18/big-hospital-finally-telling-the-truth-about-cancer-johns-hopkins/

quote:

LATEST CANCER INFORMATION
from Johns Hopkins

AFTER YEARS OF TELLING PEOPLE CHEMOTHERAPY IS THE ONLY WAY TO TRY AND ELIMINATE CANCER, JOHNS HOPKINS IS FINALLY STARTING TO TELL YOU THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE WAY …

1. Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer cells do not show up in the standard tests until they have multiplied to a few billion. When doctors tell cancer patients that there are no more cancer cells in their bodies after treatment, it just means the tests are unable to detect the cancer cells because they have not reached the detectable size.

2. Cancer cells occur between 6 to more than 10 times in a person’s lifetime.

3. When the person’s immune system is strong the cancer cells will be destroyed and prevented from multiplying and forming tumors.

4. When a person has cancer it indicates the person has multiple nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic, environmental, food and lifestyle factors.

5. To overcome the multiple nutritional deficiencies, changing diet and including supplements will strengthen the immune system.

6. Chemotherapy involves poisoning the rapidly-growing cancer cells and also destroys rapidly-growing healthy cells in the bone marrow, gastro-intestinal tract etc, and can cause organ damage, like liver, kidneys, heart, lungs etc.

7. Radiation while destroying cancer cells also burns, scars and damages healthy cells, tissues and organs.

8. Initial treatment with chemotherapy and radiation will often reduce tumor size. However prolonged use of chemotherapy and radiation do not result in more tumor destruction.

9. When the body has too much toxic burden from chemotherapy and radiation the immune system is either compromised or destroyed, hence the person can succumb to various kinds of infections and complications.

10. Chemotherapy and radiation can cause cancer cells to mutate and become resistant and difficult to destroy. Surgery can also cause cancer cells to spread to other sites.

11. An effective way to battle cancer is to STARVE the cancer cells by not feeding it with foods it needs to multiple.

widget

What cancer cells feed on:

a. Sugar is a cancer-feeder. By cutting off sugar it cuts off one important food supply to the cancer cells. Note:Sugar substitutes like NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc are made with Aspartame and it is harmful. A better natural substitute would be Manuka honey or molasses but only in very small amounts. Table salt has a chemical added to make it white in colour. Better alternative is Bragg’s aminos or sea salt.

b. Milk causes the body to produce mucus, especially in the gastro-intestinal tract. Cancer feeds on mucus. By cutting off milk and substituting with unsweetened soy milk, cancer cells will starved.

c. Cancer cells thrive in an acid environment. A meat-based diet is acidic and it is best to eat fish, and a little chicken rather than beef or pork. Meat also contains livestock antibiotics, growth hormones and parasites, which are all harmful, especially to people with cancer.

d. A diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and juice, whole grains, seeds, nuts and a little fruits help put the body into an alkaline environment. About 20% can be from cooked food including beans. Fresh vegetable juices provide live enzymes that are easily absorbed and reach down to cellular levels within 15 minutes t o nourish and enhance growth of healthy cells.

To obtain live enzymes for building healthy cells try and drink fresh vegetable juice (most vegetables including bean sprouts) and eat some raw vegetables 2 or 3 times a day. Enzymes are destroyed at temperatures of 104 degrees F (40 degrees C).

e. Avoid coffee, tea, and chocolate, which have high caffeine. Green tea is a better alternative and has cancer-fighting properties. Water–best to drink purified water, or filtered, to avoid known toxins and heavy metals in tap water. Distilled water is acidic, avoid it.

12. Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the intestines will become putrified and leads to more toxic buildup.

13. Cancer cell walls have a tough protein covering. By refraining from or eating less meat it frees more enzymes to attack the protein walls of cancer cells and allows the body’s killer cells to destroy the cancer cells.

14. Some supplements build up the immune system (IP6, Flor-ssence, Essiac, anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, EFAs etc.) to enable the body’s own killer cells to destroy cancer cells. Other supplements like vitamin E are known to cause apoptosis, or programmed cell death, the body’s normal method of disposing of damaged, unwanted, or unneeded cells.

15. Cancer is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit. A proactive and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior be a survivor.

Anger, unforgiving and bitterness put the body into a stressful and acidic environment. Learn to have a loving and forgiving spirit. Learn to relax and enjoy life.

16. Cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygenated environment. Exercising daily, and deep breathing help to get more oxygen down to the cellular level. Oxygen therapy is another means employed to destroy cancer cells.

The sad part is people will believe this and die as a result :(

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

https://wausaunews.wordpress.com/2014/01/18/big-hospital-finally-telling-the-truth-about-cancer-johns-hopkins/

So stupid that Johns Hopkins addressed it themselves: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/kimmel_cancer_center/news_events/featured/cancer_update_email_it_is_a_hoax.html

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Raw foodists are really weird.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Laranzu posted:

Thanks for the sources and quotes. His normally lively debate is strangely quiet.

I like to think that he's on a bizarro version of this thread looking for a proper come back.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Raw foodists are really weird.

Did you know that processed food has chemicals??!? And has been changed? If we were meant to eat processed food God would have put blenders in apple trees.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Timett posted:

I like to think that he's on a bizarro version of this thread looking for a proper come back.

You mean Freep.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Did you know that processed food has chemicals??!? And has been changed? If we were meant to eat processed food God would have put blenders in apple trees.

I can only imagine these people are the descendants of the humans who looked at other tribes bringing in fire and go "that's a bad idea, we shouldn't do that". Did you know that holding your hand in a fire for only an hour will destroy it?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Timett posted:

Got a reasonable and fact-based response to the stuff we got you to post? Post them here.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Did you know that fruit is now made of chemicals? It's a setup! Who is responsible for this??

Dirt
May 26, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Someone posted the same thing the other day, I was pretty shocked when the Snopes article for debunking it showed up as a "related article" right under it.

It would be pretty sweet if this becomes a regular thing on facebook.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's kind of a hallmark of Democracy as long as it's existed, I'm afraid. Sometimes it's collectively getting together and deciding who gets the power. Other times it's collectively getting together and deciding who gets the blame.

That's an argument for splitting the head of government and the head of state, like in Britain and other constitutional monarchies. You can have a king or queen be a figurehead to draw attention while the Prime Minister is charged with practical duties. It doesn't always work out, but ideally a powerless monarch can draw the attention of the fringe and the tabloids away from the important parts of government.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dirt posted:

Someone posted the same thing the other day, I was pretty shocked when the Snopes article for debunking it showed up as a "related article" right under it.

It would be pretty sweet if this becomes a regular thing on facebook.

I think a couple people have actually posted screenshots of the same thing happening to them.

It'd be nice if when you went to post something patently false or stupid on facebook, Clippy would pop up all, "Looks like you're about you make yourself look like an idiot, would you like to check out this Snopes link?"

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

bango skank posted:

I think a couple people have actually posted screenshots of the same thing happening to them.

It'd be nice if when you went to post something patently false or stupid on facebook, Clippy would pop up all, "Looks like you're about you make yourself look like an idiot, would you like to check out this Snopes link?"

that would be the best thing. "Want to turn off clippy for facebook? Stop posting dumb poo poo." I can only imagine how fast people would start talking about big pharma or some other conspiracy forcing facebook to stop you from posting "The truth"

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

pacerhimself posted:

Do NOT read the comments. I've never seen such a failure to understand that they're getting hosed over by the people they so aggressively defend.

"My company dropped everybody's hours and gave the CEO a huge bonus. THANKS OBAMA!"

What are you talking about? The comments are hilarious- for instance:

" Totally Disgusted posted:

IS EVERYBODY READY TO SIGN A PETITION TO IMPEACH OBAMA - OR IS THIS JUST A BUNCH OF CRY BABIES MAKING THEMSELVES FEEL BETTER????

The later sums it up quite succinctly, good job T.S.

Allen posted:

I say these things with the UTMOST seriousness. Because America has accepted homosexuality...

I got that far and then started laughing my rear end off.

Plus the assorted use of "obummer" and "dumbocrats"- come on, a few of you guys went on there and posted some Poe stuff, right??

Also: ah yes John Hopkins the institution that releases official documents that include the phrase "cancer cells will starved."

Lemma fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 31, 2014

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Lemma posted:

Plus the assorted use of "obummer" and "dumbocrats"- come on, a few of you guys went on there and posted some Poe stuff, right??

:getin:

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

God bless you, Eugene, keep fighting the good fight. :911:
I'd just like to point out that in addition to being a crazy bigoted gently caress, Eugene Delgaudio also wears that stupid orange hat everywhere.
I work in his district (but don't vote there, sadly) and the guy is batshit.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Masonic Youth posted:

I'd just like to point out that in addition to being a crazy bigoted gently caress, Eugene Delgaudio also wears that stupid orange hat everywhere.
I work in his district (but don't vote there, sadly) and the guy is batshit.

In that picture it makes his skin color look weird, to the point I thought for a moment he was that colloidal silver guy.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

RagnarokAngel posted:

Man this whole thing is solid gold. some of my favorites included recommending trying to eat alkaline foods which are somehow magically suppose to get through the vat of acid that is the human stomach, then recommending a diet with lots of acidic fresh fruits within the same sentence. Recommending to avoid foods high in caffeine, then advocating green tea, which is high in caffeine. Talking about trying to encourage apoptosis when cancer is basically defined as cells that don't undergo apoptosis. And advocating trying to promote an oxygen rich environment right after they finish telling you to take more anti oxidants.

I mean could you at least keep your argument consistent from line to line and put enough effort into your bullshit to not be disproven by the definition of the works you are using?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

That's a great parody. It feels so real. I know if I saw that online, authored by someone who meant it sincerely, I might be driven to harm myself.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

They managed to win a lot more than 8 wars.

I'd say "but all of those things were smaller, available to a smaller portion of the population, and rail monopolies had a stranglehold on the economy" but that would be seen as a feature, not a bug.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of states had income taxes at that point in history.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Soviet Commubot posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of states had income taxes at that point in history.

The concept of income tax sprang fully formed from the fly-blown demon-womb of the federal government. STATES RIGHTS.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Soviet Commubot posted:

I looked it up out of curiosity and apparently the first income tax was imposed in 1861, and another in 1862 to pay for the Civil War. It was raised in 1864 and abolished in 1872. There was another in 1894, but a Supreme Court case, Pollock v. Farmers' Loan & Trust Co, basically ruled in such a way that it was made impractical, until the Sixteenth Amendment in 1913.

This is all federal though. For state, apparently many states (most of them in the south) did have income taxes, Alabama had an income tax from 1843-1884 for example. A few others (Massachusetts for one) didn't have an income tax exactly, but something similar enough to it.

So yeah even a skimming of Wikipedia provides enough information to disprove that image.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Twelve by Pies posted:

I looked it up out of curiosity and apparently the first income tax was imposed in 1861, and another in 1862 to pay for the Civil War. It was raised in 1864 and abolished in 1872. There was another in 1894, but a Supreme Court case, Pollock v. Farmers' Loan & Trust Co, basically ruled in such a way that it was made impractical, until the Sixteenth Amendment in 1913.

This is all federal though. For state, apparently many states (most of them in the south) did have income taxes, Alabama had an income tax from 1843-1884 for example. A few others (Massachusetts for one) didn't have an income tax exactly, but something similar enough to it.

So yeah even a skimming of Wikipedia provides enough information to disprove that image.

Presenting actual facts in this sort of case is superfluous. The person who made that image, and anybody who believes it actually makes any kind of point, has a fundamentally broken view of how anything gets done in any society anywhere on the planet. "There were no federal income taxes from year x to year y. Obviously the rear end-kicking army and navy of those years operated for free. Requiring me to contribute anything to the communal resources is EXTORTION."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Why is it being presented as extortion if schools, roads, railroads, a military, etc etc etc are all things that people would be willing to have and pay for anyway?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
When they say our military won 8 wars, are they counting the Civil War? Because that should have an asterisk beside its W.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Leospeare posted:

When they say our military won 8 wars, are they counting the Civil War? Because that should have an asterisk beside its W.
Yes the Washington government was very against the idea that it was fighting an actual war against a belligerent foreign nation and not just putting down a glorified riot.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Leospeare posted:

Given how incredibly bloody it was, it's really more like the Union didn't lose (at astoundingly great cost).

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
You really just need to post a picture of a one room school house with no electricity to be done with that meme.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why is it being presented as extortion if schools, roads, railroads, a military, etc etc etc are all things that people would be willing to have and pay for anyway?

"I don't have kids, why should I pay taxes for schools?"

This is a thing libertarians actually say.

They'll also say private companies will build roads/railroads better than the government and if they don't want to pay for it they won't have to.

Military seems to be the one thing most libertarians will grudgingly admit need government for but the libertarians I've talked to said there are other ways to fund it than taxes, such as lottery tickets or charity.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Yeah, when they present the idea that others will be willing to pay, what they are actually saying is 'I don't want to pay anything but hopefully everyone else will pick it up".

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

To add to this, since I've had to actually deal with this same lovely image, before the income tax and after the income tax there were - shockingly - still taxes. The US was funded by gigantic loving excise taxes that basically just shifted all the burden onto the poorest people. Not that the kind of people that post this kind of image think that's a bad thing.

Also all the poo poo we had funded by excise tax was largely that, poo poo. Whipping the national army into shape was an issue at the start of the Civil War.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
Steve walks warily down the street,
with the brim pulled way down low
Ain't no sound but the sound of his feet,
LIBERAL LOGIC ready to go

Gay Football

ICY HOT STUNTAZ

Obamacare States

Manure

Reverse Racism

Gun Stabbings

Tommy Flanagan

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sir Rolo posted:

Obamacare States

No? I mean yes I'm sure every state had a "plan" of sorts (even if it was "Good luck") but this doesn't make any sense. Massachusetts plan was fundamentally the same so Obamacare didnt really harm it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
People have to work together to rake the manure to create a fertile garden that can produce something new. Some people are petulant and don't want to work with the smelly doodoo. A good LL.