Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

FadedReality posted:

This would be an awesome idea and after about an hour of playing I agree that this is everything I wanted. It does unfortunately keep the bombarding you with side missions, all of which sound super important. I really like the new stuff to build/research in the base and the ability to airlift in supplies for influence.

Also the vehicle storage is AWESOME. I was playing Breakdown last night and holy poo poo being able to toss a spare gun and some rucksacks into the trunk is a fantastic addition.

SO many times I've been both happy and annoyed that a building has more poo poo than I can drag away and call for pick up, now it just all gets loaded into the station wagon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Yeah, the vehicle storage is an absolute game changer. Instead of slowly dragging poo poo one bag at a time across half a town, you just back the station wagon up to the window and load 'er up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So how good/useful/easy is modding in this game? Because the Steam sale would let me get the game and all the DLC for the price of the base game, but I already own the game and Breakdown on my 360. Is mod capability worth getting the game again? Are the graphics or performance better on PC?

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
I'm thinking about getting this since it's on sale and I've had my eye on it for a while, how complete is the game now? And more importantly, how necessary is the DLC? Does it alter the base game, or just add separate modes? I'm not worried about getting it later if I like the game, as it will almost certainly be on sale again for the summer sale, but if it's important then I will probably pick it up now.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I'm thinking about getting this since it's on sale and I've had my eye on it for a while, how complete is the game now? And more importantly, how necessary is the DLC? Does it alter the base game, or just add separate modes? I'm not worried about getting it later if I like the game, as it will almost certainly be on sale again for the summer sale, but if it's important then I will probably pick it up now.

It's not an Early Release if that's what you're asking. The entire vanilla campaign can be completed in 10 hours easily. The Breakdown DLC will greatly increase the replayability of the base game though it's not necessary. Today's DLC, Lifeline, is a separate storyline from the base game and is not necessary at all.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

What do you mean "how complete is the game"? It's pretty complete? Like...it's a game?

I'd say the base game is a solid 15-20 hours of AWESOME, and after that making fun depends on how much you like open-world zombie-killing and resource gathering.

I've gotten about 40-50 hours of fun out of it, super worth it's price point. And Lifeline looks to add another 10-20 hours easy for $6.

I'd say if you get base + breakdown for <$15 total you're doing super. I think I got em for like $8 or $9 total, and consider it a steal to the point where I want to pay full price for the DLC to help undead labs keep going.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Main game's storyline is pretty weak honestly, I spent 99% of my time in Breakdown (got main game when it went on sale for Breakdown release). Breakdown is a steal for $3.50, you're already spending $10 on the main game, pick it up.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Lotish posted:

So how good/useful/easy is modding in this game? Because the Steam sale would let me get the game and all the DLC for the price of the base game, but I already own the game and Breakdown on my 360. Is mod capability worth getting the game again? Are the graphics or performance better on PC?

I don't know how good the mods are persay, but there seem to be a fair amount of them. The only one I've ever used was the one that messed with the collision so you could put rucksacks in the back of pickup trucks but that's not needed anymore.

e: I've seen a lot of people say that the story mode is basically a 10 hour tutorial for the much more intense Breakdown mode. Each level of it has you loading into the map in your RV with no home base. It's on you to go pick a base and start building it from scratch each time.

The way the DLC works in this game is you select it from the main menu. Each is a discrete component. Nothing from the story mode carries over to Breakdown at all.

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 30, 2014

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
The "story" is just an extended tutorial for Breakdown.

Just start with Breakdown.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So any PC people buy lifeline but have the menu say you still have to buy it?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Acquire Currency! posted:

So any PC people buy lifeline but have the menu say you still have to buy it?

Nope, mine just has the three menu options, it no longer has the BUY NOW button for Lifeline.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm going to be streaming on PC again shortly. Trying KB+M for the first time ever, the aiming on the guns is pretty unforgiving and you use guns a LOT in this.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I don't like guns generally because of the poor framerate on PC. It's hard to line up shots, lots easier to melee.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lifeline is very good Jesus

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just picked this up in the sale. Wondering why in game it looks kind of poo poo, like it's not set to a native resolution. Graphics are set to ultra and my resolution is my monitor's native. Am I missing something?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Lifeline is super punishing if you try to play it the same way as (early) Breakdown or vanilla. I got cocky having assault rifles and shotguns at my disposal from the get go and have lost 3 civilian survivors and an important asset due to running around without a silencer. The zombie density is way higher so firing a loud gun doesn't just bring a trickle two or three zombies at a time. It brings enough that having to reload will probably end with someone dead.

I started to get frustrated before realizing it was me that was loving up by not rolling around with a melee survivor until I could churn out silencers. I'm going to start over and get it right this time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Red_Fred posted:

I just picked this up in the sale. Wondering why in game it looks kind of poo poo, like it's not set to a native resolution. Graphics are set to ultra and my resolution is my monitor's native. Am I missing something?
It's one of those games that traded visual fidelity for scope. A big studio didn't make it. So it's got that sort of washed out quality and the textures and geometry are sometimes weird.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Also, the UI was made for the 360, with a target resolution of 720p. Looks like they never had a higher-res version, so just made do with what they had when they did the PC port later on.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

FadedReality posted:

Lifeline is super punishing if you try to play it the same way as (early) Breakdown or vanilla. I got cocky having assault rifles and shotguns at my disposal from the get go and have lost 3 civilian survivors and an important asset due to running around without a silencer. The zombie density is way higher so firing a loud gun doesn't just bring a trickle two or three zombies at a time. It brings enough that having to reload will probably end with someone dead.

I started to get frustrated before realizing it was me that was loving up by not rolling around with a melee survivor until I could churn out silencers. I'm going to start over and get it right this time.

Old habits die hard. At the start of the game, I took one look at that locker filled with guns and ignored it. Got two good melee weapons, a pistol (eventually silenced) with just enough ammo chambered, twinkies and trucker pills. I only picked up a rifle during the initial siege (or I guess the second, not counting the one right at the start of the game).

I will say this, I've encountered a lot more glitches in just two hours of Lifeline than in nearly 50 hours of vanilla/Breakdown, which is kind of disappointing.

The asset reuse is pretty heavy, but I can overlook all of that for vehicle storage, that is some wonderful stuff right there.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Welp, I didn't realize the story missions were timed and ended up getting my rear end chewed out by my commanding officer because I abandoned a high-value asset to the zombies while I spent time digging around in the buildings surrounding my base for twinkies and building materials.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
There is a woman on the radio who keeps broadcasting cries for help from civilians, but when I check the map there are no markers. I'm not on a mission or anything, I can't think of any reason why they aren't popping up. Any advice?

Edit: quit the game and brought it back up, markers were on the map

Tirius fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 31, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

FadedReality posted:

The zombie density is way higher so firing a loud gun doesn't just bring a trickle two or three zombies at a time. It brings enough that having to reload will probably end with someone dead.

Y'all need to realize that this dude ain't loving kidding, there's huge numbers of zeds, and I'm pretty sure the gun noise radius has been upped considerably. Plus the density of zombies is only ramping up as I go through the story. I've not lost anyone yet but there's been more than one close call and I'm pretty sure that my fears that this wouldn't be a challenging DLC were groundless.

e; ^^^ No idea what's going on there, they always show up for me.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Third house I check, two of the huge rear end zombies inside. :stare:

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

Mister Adequate posted:

Quit and loaded the game back up and they're on the map now, so fixed I guess!

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Mister Adequate posted:

Y'all need to realize that this dude ain't loving kidding, there's huge numbers of zeds, and I'm pretty sure the gun noise radius has been upped considerably. Plus the density of zombies is only ramping up as I go through the story. I've not lost anyone yet but there's been more than one close call and I'm pretty sure that my fears that this wouldn't be a challenging DLC were groundless.

Somehow I skimmed right over this line in the latest patch notes:

- Reduced survival rate to more accurately simulate the apocalypse.

I looked around on the forums and they're being coy about what exactly it means but that would explain survivors dying much more quickly when they've been knocked down.

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 31, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Not able to get this yet, but is sounds promising, if frustrating. And I think it probably should be frustrating. This is the loving apocalypse and it ought to be brutal. The world is going to hell. The question isn't "can you reverse the trend," but rather "how long can you stave off the inevitable?" I don't know if this will ultimately be fun or not, though.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Just bought SoD and breakdown, do I need to buy Lifelines to store stuff in pickups?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

ephex posted:

Just bought SoD and breakdown, do I need to buy Lifelines to store stuff in pickups?

No, that's part of the title update.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

girth brooks part 2 posted:

No, that's part of the title update.

..and it honestly makes Breakdown at least 50% more enjoyable for me, big quality of life improvement.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Is there a mod that forces you to play one survivor? That has always been my problem with this game: being forced to switch around who I'm playing as. I'd like to play as one survivor and just go to sleep when they're tired and so on.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I understand this is a small studio, but there's so much stuff that would give it extra value: Co-op play, character customization, extra maps, official modding tools. Even just being able to rename profiles so it's easier to switch around.

Nemo Iudex
Apr 1, 2014
drat it. Just bought this game in the steam sale, got up to the point where you meet the survivors in the church, went to ascend the tower to look around, couldn't figure out how to get down the ladder safely and ended up walking off to my death.

I like roguelikes and permadeath but this felt a bit bullshit. How do you get down ladders without flinging yourself off to your death?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, I thought Breakdown sounded real stupid, since I really just enjoyed the campaign stuff. Bought it anyway, have played it more then Lifeline so far.

They really need to make a Breakdown map of the Lifeline map.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Nemo Iudex posted:

drat it. Just bought this game in the steam sale, got up to the point where you meet the survivors in the church, went to ascend the tower to look around, couldn't figure out how to get down the ladder safely and ended up walking off to my death.

I like roguelikes and permadeath but this felt a bit bullshit. How do you get down ladders without flinging yourself off to your death?

If you just walk (not sprint) near a ladder, your character should automatically get on it. As far as I can recall, the only accidental falls I've had were if I was trying to sprint to the edge of something with a ladder. If anything, I get annoyed because I'll be walking around on a platform just to look around and the game automatically puts my character on the ladder when I get near it. That's really all there is to it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nemo Iudex posted:

In the 360 version at least, you just approach the ladder and will grab it automatically. If you're running and/or have too much velocity, though, you can miss grabbing the ladder and fly to your death. Perhaps that's what happened? I only got one guy killed missing a ladder like that.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the gently caress do you use the goddamn artillery assets. I used one nothing happened and the others just didn't work.
Oh, it's an item

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Wow. Just did a rescue the survivor mission, brought along a soldier pal, they both decide to beeline for the nearest fenced off area, get stuck and walk into each other for 5 minutes while i valiantly fend off horde upon horde of zombies and then randomly fall over and die. Glad they worked on the bugs D:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Man, Lifeline is absolutely handing my rear end to me in a little basket. :stare:

Seriously, gently caress the big guys.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
gently caress nearly everything in this game. But in the best possible way.

This is the original game zoomed in 100x and distilled to perfection. It's almost as if the developers opened their ears to the community and gave us exactly what we asked for. The 8$ I spent on this content is a legitimate steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Just picked up this game and the Breakdown DLC, can anyone link to a good general guide for people just starting out? I think I remember there being a number of counter-intuitive things about this game that the tutorial/early campaign doesn't really explain, like certain types of character traits being awful or the people in your base eating all your food even while the game is turned off.

• Locked thread