Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I watched the OVA of Baoh, Araki's most notable pre-JJBA work, the other day and within two minutes a dog was shot. 12 minutes after that a dog was slaughtered by a tiger only to come back to life and then get shot, decapitated, and set aflame.

darealkooky posted:

Is it hatred, or does he love dogs SO MUCH that showing someone murder them is the best way he knows to say "this dude is an rear end in a top hat"?

Kars saved one, solidifying that he's utterly monstrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

WickedHate posted:

I watched the OVA of Baoh, Araki's most notable pre-JJBA work, the other day and within two minutes a dog was shot. 12 minutes after that a dog was slaughtered by a tiger only to come back to life and then get shot, decapitated, and set aflame.

Holy poo poo, Araki. :stare:

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

WickedHate posted:

Kars saved one, solidifying that he's utterly monstrous.

Yeah, with one exception, Araki seems to not really like dogs at all. The first season had Danny being hit in the face and burned and a cat eating a puppy in the first two episodes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Exercu posted:

he first season had Danny being hit in the face and burned.

Apparently, in the manga, Dio tied him up with steel wire and put him into a wooden box before burning him alive.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Apparently, in the manga, Dio tied him up with steel wire and put him into a wooden box before burning him alive.

Yeah, and there's a page showing him leaping out of the furnace engulfed in flames, making it clear that Danny burned alive.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That was just to show how lazy the common English lower class is. Oh, that's an odd bundle in the incinerator. I could check out this odd item that I'm talking to my self about because it's so out of place. Naaaaaaaaaaaah, lets just light this poo poo on fire.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Araki hates all animals. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Araki hates all animals. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!

I dunno, he seems okay about frogs.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So why couldn't Rubber Soul just defend with Yellow Temperance in the water? I kind of missed the rationale for that, and it's been a while since I read the manga.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So why couldn't Rubber Soul just defend with Yellow Temperance in the water? I kind of missed the rationale for that, and it's been a while since I read the manga.

Because Jotaro would drown him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yellow Temperance seems to digest slowly and can't stretch out too much without exposing Rubber Soul to the water.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rubber Soul would drown underwater pretty much. There was nothing stopping Jotaro from choking him out underwater as Yellow a Temperance can stop all of your punches, but it can't you from being unable to breathe. The second Jotaro got him into the water he was dead to rights.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah and it's fights like these early on that really sort of demonstrate how Jotaro maintains that similar quick-thinking Joestar family style of fighting but he's a hell of a lot more ruthless and tends not to waste time loving around.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
http://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/O9MOmaN.gif&v=wcEfmPlvfbI

I forgot how creepy Rubber Soul's PS1 theme sounded.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also the leadup to the actual beatdown at the end was nothing short of fantastic. The presentation in this show is pretty much all you could ask for.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jotaro had a hard time dealing with almost-drowning and needed to pull a power out of his rear end to get out of it.

He probably figured there was no such thing as a Yellow Finger, at least not in this context, so might as well pay the drownings forward.

RERORERO was pretty great, too.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm impressed by how consistently good the episodes are so far

Also Jotaro face of disgust at the end at real Kakyoin RERORERORERO

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

frajaq posted:

I'm impressed by how consistently good the episodes are so far

Also Jotaro face of disgust at the end at real Kakyoin RERORERORERO

You think you know a guy, but then RERORERO

What I'm trying to say is that Rubber Soul did some thorough research.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if Kakyoin ever broke a guy's back for stealing his wallet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You think you know a guy, but then RERORERO

What I'm trying to say is that Rubber Soul did some thorough research.

That or they just happen to have the same tic.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
"Jojo must be suspecting me, time to do the weird thing with the cherry so he'll be sure that I'm still the same guy he knows!"

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

I'll always love how Rubber Soul acts super creepy for no reason at all.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
So, Rubber Soul formed itself to look like Kakyoin, but how did it use his stand at the beginning?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Batmasterson posted:

So, Rubber Soul formed itself to look like Kakyoin, but how did it use his stand at the beginning?

A Yellow Temperance blob shaped like Hierophant Green?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Batmasterson posted:

Probably a long piece of Yellow Temperance made to look like Hierophant

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Batmasterson posted:

Yellow Temperance changed to look like Hierophant Green.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
So the Runaway Girl actually has a name now. Given how many chapters she appeared in, the fact that she was never named in the original manga was somewhat astonishing.

Baron O Beefdip posted:

I'll always love how Rubber Soul acts super creepy for no reason at all.

I always figured he thought it was safer to let Jotaro punch "Kakyoin" and get Temperance on him that way rather than trying to attack directly.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'd just like to say that the "fade to black, cut to Star Platinum beating the poo poo out of someone" gag is probably never going to get old.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
At this point, why don't they hire a private plane to Egypt?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phobophilia posted:

Would you at this point really want to get on the same plane as Joseph Joestar?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Phobophilia posted:

Because hiring the private boat worked so well.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I think that fake-Kakyoin's "ora ora ora" was better than JoJo's :colbert:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

MelvinBison posted:

That fight was everything I thought it was going to be. I lost it when Joesph popped up while Jotaro talked about running away.

It's kinda weird they showed off Hanged Man during the preview, but Hol Horse was nowhere to be seen.
e: Wow I'm unobservant.

Kurtofan posted:

There was a shot of Hol Horse with Nena in the previews

Would you guys please cut this out? It's really irritating trying to guess which character you're talking about and I'd rather the episode introduce them proper. This has happened a couple times now.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

CodfishCartographer posted:

Because hiring the private boat worked so well.

Yeah but that needs more crew members and there's more time in transit for things to go wrong. A train to India: now you're not even trying.

Then again, getting on a plane is probably asking to get USS Vincenne'd.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah but that needs more crew members and there's more time in transit for things to go wrong. A train to India: now you're not even trying.

Then again, getting on a plane is probably asking to get USS Vincenne'd.

I think the problem is that surviving a plane crash is pretty dang hard, and they were extremely lucky to survive the last one. Yellow Temperance disguised as the pilot cold easily just fly the plane full-speed into a mountain and instantly kill them all, using his stand to protect himself from (most of) the damage and the gang wouldn't really be able to see it coming if they weren't in the cockpit.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Pretty much their only choice is risk civilians getting caught in the crossfire or risk themselves being stranded and die from just being stranded in the environment (middle of the ocean, 30k feet in the air).

It's a tough decision, and any other show would have emphasised Joseph's decision, but that's not what Jojos is about. Dio Must Die.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Even if they had a small plane with Joseph piloting it and nobody else on board, they would still run the risk of encountering somebody with a stand capable of flight. None of them are capable to doing anything from within a plane except possibly Kakyoin.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean they just might even meet a stand plane.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

http://tsugumiseishirou.tumblr.com/post/87346896397/stop-me

god drat I can't stop laughing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Beef Waifu posted:

I mean they just might even meet a stand plane.

A Stand that's a plane? I can't see that ever happening.

• Locked thread