Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Caconym posted:

Yes, space port with yards every 5 colonies or so, starbases with just med, rec and defenses on the rest.
I micro everything and have never tried a game with design automated, so no clue about the AI and research.

So then what do you do manually, how much research output do you shoot for early game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Coupla things that you might not notice, if you get the chance to colonise or capture Ketarov worlds do so. The Ketarov racial is up to 50% bonus to spying. This makes espionage much more likely to succeed. Great way to get racial techs from races who don't like you, or advanced techs from super pirates. If it goes well it snowballs like crazy. Current game has seven agents who can all steal tech every three months with somewhere in the region of 70-85% chance of success.

Second thing is, when you start a new game, reroll till you get a leader with the diplomacy skill. That slowly goes up once you have made contact with alien empires and it makes all races like you more. I literally have protectorate or mutual defence pacts with sixteen out of twenty races, not counting the mechanoids and the four bug races are all at friendly anyways.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is it worth it to colonize planets in the 40-50% quality range, or are the penalties too severe? I colonized one in a system that I already owned with a nice development bonus from ruins.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Phlegmish posted:

Is it worth it to colonize planets in the 40-50% quality range, or are the penalties too severe? I colonized one in a system that I already owned with a nice development bonus from ruins.

Basically anything under 50% will always cost more money than it makes.

However there are certain ruins that function like galactic wonders and can make it a worthwhile price to pay.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

50% is the break even for profit from the colony. I think development bonuses can push it over if you're in the 40% range though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The planet had a quality of 48% and the ruins gave a 17% development bonus so I'm assuming it was worth it, though I'm not sure how a development bonus works exactly.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

If you have an intergalactic empire full of diversity, are the racial bonuses proportional to each population?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
If a race represents 20% of your empires population then you get that races full racial bonus. Anything below that and the math gets a bit weird, but you do get small bonuses.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've finally got the hang of this game to the point where my empires don't immediately get devoured by scorpions after researching warp bubbles.

I've been putting the bare minimum of everything other than warp drive and fuel cells on my Green Woman's Burden colony ships. Will this bite me in the rear end somehow? I mean, I know they'll be worthless in a fight but I'm assuming they would be anyway.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
What's the math behind the resource percentages on planets?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

King Doom posted:

If a race represents 20% of your empires population then you get that races full racial bonus. Anything below that and the math gets a bit weird, but you do get small bonuses.

So it seems like the ideal set up is to ensure that no race gets above 20%?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

RPS Review: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/30/wot-i-think-distant-worlds-universe/

quote:

No tease before the jump here, let’s get straight to it. Distant Worlds: Universe is my favourite space strategy game. Not my favourite space strategy game released this week and not my favourite space strategy game released this year. It’s the definitive version of the best space strategy game I’ve ever played and I want to share the excitement with everyone.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Bouchacha posted:

So it seems like the ideal set up is to ensure that no race gets above 20%?

Without heavy use of the editor I can't think of how it'd be possible without hours of planning on a spreadsheet or something, but yeah, you theoretically get like six lots of bonuses (your own races plus four races at 20% and one at 19%).

This Only applies to the big empire wide bonuses though, like the ketarovs +50% spying bonus. The other stuff like shandar or securan happiness or boskaran war weariness reductions are all automatically applied since they only affect worlds with the relevant populations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phlegmish posted:

The planet had a quality of 48% and the ruins gave a 17% development bonus so I'm assuming it was worth it, though I'm not sure how a development bonus works exactly.

Just a straight addition, so 48 + 17 = 65%. I don't really know why they make it a percent unless it's indexed to the natural undeveloped value of the planet.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope a sequel keeps the core of the game, but runs on a completely new engine that isn't built in java or whatever the hell the dev used for this game.

I do like the game but I find myself constantly getting frustrated by how the AI acts and how some basic game mechanics are pretty dumb. It would be nice if the economy actually simulated supply and demand so that new colonies would import lots of raw resources to build themselves up and it wasn't just based on population. That way you could specialize planets and it would be especially cool if they moved away from how races are restricted by planet type. I mean really, what do lava lizards even grow and eat on those worlds?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I haven't played much with the new expansion, so vets - did they remove the old game customization options? How do I turn research speed down and put myself on the edge of the galaxy?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
How hard would it be to mod in government-specific events that gently caress the empire over when things aren't going hot?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I haven't played much with the new expansion, so vets - did they remove the old game customization options? How do I turn research speed down and put myself on the edge of the galaxy?

You used one of the quickstart games. If you want to go through about 6 screens of game options before starting the game then try one of the two "Custom Game as ..." options.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lowen posted:

If you want to go through about 6 screens of game options before starting the game

Hell yeah I do. Thanks!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The (somewhat horribly written) RPS "review" got me interested. Does the game have any sort of tutorial or manual, or do you need to watch Youtube video's to learn how to play?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Comstar posted:

The (somewhat horribly written) RPS "review" got me interested. Does the game have any sort of tutorial or manual, or do you need to watch Youtube video's to learn how to play?

It has a decent in-game encyclopedia and a tutorial I've never tried. Honestly, with the way AI automation is set up, just start on a game with easy settings, set AI management to maximum, and just mess around with it. You can turn the management down once you figure out what you want to focus on.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Travic posted:

What's the math behind the resource percentages on planets?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2966128&mpage=1&key=
This guide seems to say that it acts as a sort of multiplier for your mining engines and also a cap on how much you can mine per week. Hasn't been updated in a couple of years, though, so who knows how accurate it still is.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
Enjoying the game so far in most respects, and I took the advice of several other goons as regards grabbing Extended and GEM; things are rather more enjoyable to look at, now. Well, everything save a fair number of the replaced race portraits, at least. All of the old races are basically made to look like uglier humanoids; I don't mind the grittier aesthetic Extended goes for, but it's kind of exasperating when you have your space T-rexes turned into a slightly disgusted-looking guy with a skin rash or your fugly-rear end, tumourheaded scholar-warriors turned into a generic Grey alien variant.

I can't go back to the old portraits because they just look so bad in comparison, even acknowledging that the new portraits lack any of the charm held by their predecessors. :cripes:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Agree about the lack of charm, though a lot of the new pictures do look pretty sweet. I especially like the look of the Avian races now, and that machine reptile species that look like they've got tire treads for skin. There's also another reptilian race that looks like a dino, so maybe the modder thought one was enough? (one is not enough! :argh:)

I keep getting Babylon 5 vibes playing this game.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
What galaxy size are people playing on? I've been changing between 250 and 400 stars myself. It's nice that at least on 250 stars you can still keep relatively good control over things without having to automate everything.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The largest possible. With more than the recommended empires. And the max independent colonies. I want a living galaxy God damnit.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How do you capture abandoned ships? I have one floating around a moon near my base but all I can seem to do is attack it.

vv - thank you I didn't even think to try that for some reason.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 31, 2014

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Reason posted:

How do you capture abandoned ships? I have one floating around a moon near my base but all I can seem to do is attack it.

Can't you repair it with a constructor?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

DentedLamp posted:

Enjoying the game so far in most respects, and I took the advice of several other goons as regards grabbing Extended and GEM; things are rather more enjoyable to look at, now. Well, everything save a fair number of the replaced race portraits, at least. All of the old races are basically made to look like uglier humanoids; I don't mind the grittier aesthetic Extended goes for, but it's kind of exasperating when you have your space T-rexes turned into a slightly disgusted-looking guy with a skin rash or your fugly-rear end, tumourheaded scholar-warriors turned into a generic Grey alien variant.

I can't go back to the old portraits because they just look so bad in comparison, even acknowledging that the new portraits lack any of the charm held by their predecessors. :cripes:

It is weird how in extended basically all the aliens seemed to evolve without a nose.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I've finally got the hang of this game to the point where my empires don't immediately get devoured by scorpions after researching warp bubbles.

I've been putting the bare minimum of everything other than warp drive and fuel cells on my Green Woman's Burden colony ships. Will this bite me in the rear end somehow? I mean, I know they'll be worthless in a fight but I'm assuming they would be anyway.

If that bare minimum includes a single engine you might not have enough speed to match the orbital velocity of the planet or moon you want to colonize.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Is the a way to easily list locations that give either scenery or research bonus? I've noticed you can highlight them from the galaxy screen but it highlights the whole system, and then you have to click on everything seperately to find out what exactly there has the bonus.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zilkin posted:

Is the a way to easily list locations that give either scenery or research bonus? I've noticed you can highlight them from the galaxy screen but it highlights the whole system, and then you have to click on everything seperately to find out what exactly there has the bonus.

Some of the icons on the left of the screen are "potential x location" lists.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zilkin posted:

What galaxy size are people playing on? I've been changing between 250 and 400 stars myself. It's nice that at least on 250 stars you can still keep relatively good control over things without having to automate everything.

Right now, I'm playing a Classic game with everything on the standard setting (700 stars, 8x8). It's not that hard for me to micromanage a little, since I only have about twenty colonies. It's been an interesting game because the AI in general was so good at expanding and keeping each other in check that even with that low number of colonies I'm still one of the largest empires. My humanoid alliance is kind of poo poo and the brainy-guy race in particular has been reduced to two planets, but so far I'm holding my own right in the center of the galaxy.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Right now, I'm playing a Classic game with everything on the standard setting (700 stars, 8x8). It's not that hard for me to micromanage a little, since I only have about twenty colonies. It's been an interesting game because the AI in general was so good at expanding and keeping each other in check that even with that low number of colonies I'm still one of the largest empires. My humanoid alliance is kind of poo poo and the brainy-guy race in particular has been reduced to two planets, but so far I'm holding my own right in the center of the galaxy.

I'm also doing 700 stars but with a 10x10 square start, main changes is prewarp and pirate factions to few, made a huge difference from normal. I have gone from 'finding' 10 pirate factions to 4 before warp tech, has made it more smoother and not just 'which pirate I can't afford to pay will attack this month?'

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 31, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think pirate costs might be bugged for me at this point. The original pirate faction I allied 5 minutes into the game have expanded into a military juggernaut twice my size and yet they still only want the measly 400 credits per month we agreed upon to not attack me. They're selling me maps and attacking the other pirate factions who try to harass my trade routes. 400 for that is bargain since I'm swimming in cash.

I was originally going to cancel that treaty like the AI had been begging me to do until I found their planet and noticed just how many destroyers they had sitting at their homeplanet doing nothing. :stare:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Watching two fleets in-system constantly warping to each other's last position in a futile attempt to engage truly is a sight to behold . . .

Meanwhile, as if the regular pirate jerks weren't bad enough, I just encountered legendary pirates for the first time. Aside from their deathfleet mashing all my mining/gas stations, one of their frigates has been buzzing my core systems. It's got one of those ultra-tuned hyperdrives that engages in like 4 seconds or something, making it thus far impossible to bring enough firepower to bear on it before it jumps away to safety. Because it causes all the freighter traffic to poo poo themselves and run wherever it appears, a lone frigate has singlehandedly brought my economy to a grinding halt. :suicide:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

Watching two fleets in-system constantly warping to each other's last position in a futile attempt to engage truly is a sight to behold . . .

Meanwhile, as if the regular pirate jerks weren't bad enough, I just encountered legendary pirates for the first time. Aside from their deathfleet mashing all my mining/gas stations, one of their frigates has been buzzing my core systems. It's got one of those ultra-tuned hyperdrives that engages in like 4 seconds or something, making it thus far impossible to bring enough firepower to bear on it before it jumps away to safety. Because it causes all the freighter traffic to poo poo themselves and run wherever it appears, a lone frigate has singlehandedly brought my economy to a grinding halt. :suicide:

Yeah I really wish you could give a civy craft halt stance, or least retreat when it gets attacked, repairing directs is a pain as construction ships also want to get the gently caress out

speaking of my current game, my main ally found an incomplete death star, and is now lovingly restoring it, luckly they are egg heads. and I am best buds with a super pirate who has 11k military power spread across 150 ships. I have a colony orbiting their main base :allears:

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
I have literally no idea what I am doing. The pirates are being dicks and I have no money. I did, however, find a death star. I should probably start rebuilding it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I assume shoving an appropriate mining base on every world has no drawbacks? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Thyrork posted:

I assume shoving an appropriate mining base on every world has no drawbacks? :haw:
Civilians do the mining, so apparently it'll start to bog down their economy. From the forums it seems like you want to drop mines when the resources add up to 100 or more I think.

• Locked thread