Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
While some seasons were better than others, I enjoyed the whole run of Big Love. It just had such a great cast and very good characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Paradox Personified posted:

Titus slowly (since the airing of his first special) either hid it well and it started to leak, or he did indeed begin to turn into a baby version of what apparently is now Bizarro Tim Allen, going by his old quantum-physics-obsessed Home Improvement days. Of course he would like Titus. Peas in a pod.

There are a lot of words here but I don't understand any of them in this particular arrangement.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

There are a lot of words here but I don't understand any of them in this particular arrangement.

I feel like I had a stroke partway through reading it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

No Eastbound and Down thread as far as I can tell so I'll just post about it here. Just started watching the other day since HBO is on Prime now and I'm loving it. Finished up the first season last night and what I really appreciate about it is how beautifully it manages to flow between drama and comedy. The moment where Kenny receives the call from the talent agent (played beautifully by Adam Scott) telling him how he wasn't actually supposed to offer him the job and goes on to describe in detail how his life is in a downward spiral really blew me away. Kenny's face while listening to this as his "fans" cheer him on managed to be simultaneously completely hilarious and completely tragic.

I just blew through season one last weekend and loved it. Never before on a show have I been completely indifferent to the love interest (first episode: Meh, homely teacher) to madly in love with her by the end of the season (titties).

Then she showed up in a random episode of Psych I watched the other night, as a psychotic parole officer! Small world.

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 30, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

She has the sexiest voice on TV.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The Midniter posted:

I just blew through season one last weekend and loved it. Never before on a show have I been completely indifferent to the love interest (first episode: Meh, homely teacher) to madly in love with her by the end of the season (titties).

Then she showed up in a random episode of Psych I watched the other night, as a psychotic parole officer! Small world.

One of my favorite moments from Season 2 is Kenny having a "deep" moment where he has to decide if he is an rear end man or a tit man. He's basically trying to choose between two women he cares about but goes about it in the most crass, disgusting way ever. It's a perfect Kenny Powers moment.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I started watching The Rockford Files because it replaced Hawaii Five-O in the noon spot on MeTV, and... it's a pretty good show, much more entertaining than Five-O was. I've never been terribly familiar with 70's TV dramas, anyone know any others I should try looking up? Judging by most of MeTV's afternoon lineup and an almost identical lineup on TVLand, it was a huge time for Westerns.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 30, 2014

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Anybody watch In the Flesh? I just finished the first season and am caught up on the current one. I liked season 1 a lot but the overarching season 2 plot is a little too crazy for me. Tried finding a thread for the show but didn't see one.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

raditts posted:

Titus sad, titus angry, titus no like women or minorities. Tim allen sad, angry, no like women or minorities. Tim used to read books. Tim no like books no more. Tim and Titus besssssst friends now.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

bamhand posted:

Anybody watch In the Flesh? I just finished the first season and am caught up on the current one. I liked season 1 a lot but the overarching season 2 plot is a little too crazy for me. Tried finding a thread for the show but didn't see one.

I love how now the zombies are metaphors for basically everything now. The mentally ill, immigrants, unemployed, religious (including religious extremists!)...

I also feel like this series is getting a bit too crazy, but then again this is a show where people literally did rise from their graves. The evil MP is a great villain.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Not a Twat posted:

I love how now the zombies are metaphors for basically everything now. The mentally ill, immigrants, unemployed, religious (including religious extremists!)...

I also feel like this series is getting a bit too crazy, but then again this is a show where people literally did rise from their graves. The evil MP is a great villain.

I found myself caring a lot more about the family drama stuff and the whole treating zombies as people thing that they had in the first season. The last couple seasons in the season finale were really, really moving.

I just can't bring myself to care about the whole 2nd rising and finding the first risen that they have going on for this season. It feels like the show has gone from a family drama that happens to have zombies to a zombie show that also has drama in it.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

bamhand posted:

I found myself caring a lot more about the family drama stuff and the whole treating zombies as people thing that they had in the first season. The last couple seasons in the season finale were really, really moving.

I just can't bring myself to care about the whole 2nd rising and finding the first risen that they have going on for this season. It feels like the show has gone from a family drama that happens to have zombies to a zombie show that also has drama in it.

I totally agree. That brilliantly awkward dinner scene and Kieren's big rant about rising from his grave were completely undermined by all that first-risen stuff. Because it was no longer about the characters, just a plot twist.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Is there a thread for season 2 of Maron? I really like it so far. I love that the show is more grounded in Marc's life (compared to Louie) and that he has no problem with making fun of himself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Last night I listened to one of Maron's podcasts where he tries to interview Gallagher, who storms off halfway through. It's pretty fuckin' weird, especially since my grandparents owned all of Gallagher's 80s comedy specials and I remember him as a mellow dope-smoking flamboyant hippie with very left-wing politics.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

precision posted:

Last night I listened to one of Maron's podcasts where he tries to interview Gallagher, who storms off halfway through. It's pretty fuckin' weird, especially since my grandparents owned all of Gallagher's 80s comedy specials and I remember him as a mellow dope-smoking flamboyant hippie with very left-wing politics.

Apparently Gallagher is the exact opposite of that nowadays.

If you're listening to Maron's podcasts, you in particular should probably check out the one with J Mascis. Maybe I misjudged and you're not a Dinosaur Jr. fan, but it's a really great interview. J usually just blows off interviewers with one word answers but him and Maron have a great conversation.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

This is a must-read if you haven't read it already.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Epi Lepi posted:

Apparently Gallagher is the exact opposite of that nowadays.

If you're listening to Maron's podcasts, you in particular should probably check out the one with J Mascis. Maybe I misjudged and you're not a Dinosaur Jr. fan, but it's a really great interview. J usually just blows off interviewers with one word answers but him and Maron have a great conversation.

Yeah that's pretty much the only good interview I've ever seen with Mascis.

Jesus. :catstare:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What the gently caress.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Don't forget to check out her "Bonus Jokes" companion piece if you feel like you haven't lost enough of your childhood.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

raditts posted:

I started watching The Rockford Files because it replaced Hawaii Five-O in the noon spot on MeTV, and... it's a pretty good show, much more entertaining than Five-O was. I've never been terribly familiar with 70's TV dramas, anyone know any others I should try looking up? Judging by most of MeTV's afternoon lineup and an almost identical lineup on TVLand, it was a huge time for Westerns.

It's a 50's western, but Maverick was updated to create the Rockford Files. Jim Garner is in the better half of the show and it's basically the same character he usually plays.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

Judging from a couple interviews I read a year or two ago, he's a humongous dick now, if he wasn't before.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Don't forget to check out her "Bonus Jokes" companion piece if you feel like you haven't lost enough of your childhood.

“You know why there’s not a 6 Flags in Mexico City? Because you have to be this tall to ride the rides.”

There's like 7 Six Flags on earth and one is in mexico city. That joke is statistically improbably dumb.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I can't wait for Gallagher's cameo on Last Man Standing.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

raditts posted:

There's a ton of outstanding British stuff from the 1970s. They were particularly good at costume/historical drama, the caveat being that you have to have some background knowledge to get the full scope of it.

Westerns were on the outs, really, in the early 1970s as every network tried to find the young and socially conscious audience. The fallout of that is referred to as the rural purge as shows like Green Acres, Gunsmoke, Petticoat Junction, etc. were canceled. I don't know how many folks are familiar with Hee Haw, but it was originally a CBS show. It instead went into syndication (so did Lawrence Welk, which was so hip as to offer us a sincere rendition of One Toke Over the Line).

Variety shows were the big thing of the decade. And cartoons attempting to cash in on any trend. The Osmonds fell into both categories. Just about everybody was given a variety show at some point, including the Starland Vocal Band.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There's a ton of outstanding British stuff from the 1970s. They were particularly good at costume/historical drama, the caveat being that you have to have some background knowledge to get the full scope of it.

Westerns were on the outs, really, in the early 1970s as every network tried to find the young and socially conscious audience. The fallout of that is referred to as the rural purge as shows like Green Acres, Gunsmoke, Petticoat Junction, etc. were canceled. I don't know how many folks are familiar with Hee Haw, but it was originally a CBS show. It instead went into syndication (so did Lawrence Welk, which was so hip as to offer us a sincere rendition of One Toke Over the Line).

Variety shows were the big thing of the decade. And cartoons attempting to cash in on any trend. The Osmonds fell into both categories. Just about everybody was given a variety show at some point, including the Starland Vocal Band.

If we're talking variety shows, the Smother Brothers were usually pretty funny, and had some great musical guests. (Keith Moon blew up his drumset on the set of the Smothers Brothers, and simultaneously marked himself as a Rock and roll Madman, and the reason you should wear ear plugs at concert.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm still mad that Histeria! was not only cancelled but basically scrubbed from existence.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
New season of Derek is on Netflix. Anybody watching it?

The departure of Dougie is terrible. Dougie was the best thing on the show, and his replacement is clearly intended to be the absolute loving worst. Since this new guy is not even awful in a funny way, this forces the burden of comic relief further on Kev, whose grime is beginning to tire me.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Really? Hit me with it, with season one ending on an outing and a "he was jealous of a child who was totally destined to run our cult" implications I can't see what's left.
It's basically a big coming out party (Big Love HBO Spoilers)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm still mad that Histeria! was not only cancelled but basically scrubbed from existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZbho6AsBOc

Histeria! was the best.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Histeria was that show that you were pissed to see when you turned over to The WB because you were hoping Batman/Superman or Animaniacs or literally anything else was on.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Histeria's premiere date might as well be considered the official time of death of the 90's animation renaissance. It was only produced to meet the stupid E/I requirement the FCC imposed on the broadcast networks which quickly finished off whatever was left of quality Saturday morning and weekday programming for children outside of cable. Of course it didn't help that Histeria had the most unappealing cast of one-note characters imaginable. If they had just produced more shorts of the Warner Brothers going back in time to harass historical figures they could have actually made an educational cartoon people would watch.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I loved Histeria, even more than the rest of the WB Cartoons, it is the reason I'm a history geek now and seeing clips on youtube makes me surprised at how much terrible stuff they managed to teach (the Spanish Inquisition, Stalin, lots and lots of wars)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Big Fat Baby is literally the height of comedy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Did we ever have a 30 for 30 thread? The Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding case was fascinating, mainly because it's not clear just how much Harding knew. And figure skaters largely seem to be dicks in general.

Personally I don't think she had a hand in the planning, but she certainly learned about it afterwards. She seems like someone who would've much rathered beat Kerrigan out on the Ice than have her get hobbled like that.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I think SAS had a 30 for 30 thread at one point but I'm not 100%. The Netflix thread in CD does discuss them occasionally since a lot of them are on Instant Watch.

And yeah, if you've never watched any of the 30 for 30 docs, you should check them out, even if you're not a sports fan. They're probably the best thing to ever come out of ESPN.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hcreight posted:

I think SAS had a 30 for 30 thread at one point but I'm not 100%. The Netflix thread in CD does discuss them occasionally since a lot of them are on Instant Watch.

And yeah, if you've never watched any of the 30 for 30 docs, you should check them out, even if you're not a sports fan. They're probably the best thing to ever come out of ESPN.

A great place to start is June 17, 1994, which is about the day OJ Simpson was supposed to turn himself in to the police and how it intersected with a million other sports stories on that day. It's a kinetic, bracing documentary about what amounted to America's biggest media snow day.

The Two Escobars is another hard hitter about the odd parallels between the lives of drug kingpin Pablo Escobar and soccer superstar Andres Escobar. There's also The U and one more, can't remember the name, about the Little League World Series.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

DivisionPost posted:

A great place to start is June 17, 1994, which is about the day OJ Simpson was supposed to turn himself in to the police and how it intersected with a million other sports stories on that day. It's a kinetic, bracing documentary about what amounted to America's biggest media snow day.

The Two Escobars is another hard hitter about the odd parallels between the lives of drug kingpin Pablo Escobar and soccer superstar Andres Escobar. There's also The U and one more, can't remember the name, about the Little League World Series.

That OJ one was another eye-opener. You forget so many things, like the fact that OJ wasn't actually driving the Bronco, and that he was actually on his way to kill himself.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We can put this rumor to rest. He's not Marilyn Manson.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

The one I've seen that I really liked was Broke where they go over how exactly professional athletes go bankrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

raditts posted:

Histeria was that show that you were pissed to see when you turned over to The WB because you were hoping Batman/Superman or Animaniacs or literally anything else was on.

So, you wanna watch some reruns of Road Rovers over Histeria?

I never really liked Histeria and I can't put my figure on why. There were likely a few good bits, but I think I may have only seen one or two. Sadly, Animaniacs REALLY did the educational and comedy musical numbers a hell of a lot better.

Slappy Squirrel at Woodstock, the various musical numbers about history, geography and science, etc. Maybe because the edutainment content in that show was a lot more limited that it could be more focused on a single thing every so often and left at that.

• Locked thread