Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

M42 posted:

Did you use the gun in addition to the carb sync tool/homemade vacuum bottles, or just the gun by itself?

I sync with gauges first and the mess with the screws.
I bench synced the last three sets of carbs I rebuilt and they were super close when I hooked up the gauges so you might be able to get away with just using the gun if it's running ok already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Phy posted:

Would you say the position you were in was... tiring?

I'm sure he was happy to retire.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

With that kind of a payload strapped to the back I'm sure he had the prudence to tread lightly.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
nothing on this gay earth i like doing better than repairing flats on a rare sunny day in seattle

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Installed the correct clutch cable, which was a complete bitch. The stop-gab cable I had was a generic clutch cable that was easy to bend. For my bike, Yamaha decided it would be a great idea to use a cable with opposing 90 degree bends in the sleeve. At the bottom end of the cable, the bend is metal, not just a plastic/rubber cover. This made the install especially fun.
What took me 10 minutes with the other cable took me over an hour, as I had to remove the air box, battery and battery tray in order to feed the cable through properly. Goddamn.
At least I have the correct clutch cable now. Kind of freaky having smooth operation again.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I took the battery out to trickle charge it since I stupidly left the headlights on a few days ago for a few hours and it wouldn't start this morning.

Good news, between 1992 (the model year of my last BMW) and 2007, they figured out that batteries come out sometimes, and you shouldn't place them underneath the fuel injection computer!

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I ended up changing the oil + oil filter out of my 93' Nighthawk 750 today. It was supposed to be pretty simple except for when the Oil Filter refused to come out. I went out and bought an oil filter remover tool and it still would not budge. I ended up taking a screwdriver, punctured the oil filter, and then got it to budge through hammering the screwdriver counter clockwise. It was really messy and a pain in the rear end.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Mcqueen posted:

nothing on this gay earth i like doing better than repairing flats on a rare sunny day in seattle

I'm still trying to get new tires for my Nighthawk 750. I ordered some tires from a store but they still haven't came in yet. No store in Seattle stocks my default tire size so I haven't had a chance to ride this season yet.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Rabid Snake posted:

I'm still trying to get new tires for my Nighthawk 750. I ordered some tires from a store but they still haven't came in yet. No store in Seattle stocks my default tire size so I haven't had a chance to ride this season yet.

Revzilla.com (or comparable internet tire store) + local motorcycle mechanic = riding a lot sooner.

If you invest into a simple set of stands and are able to remove both wheels, you can have the tires mounted as fast as they do it with car wheels. When I called the shops to tell them I was bringing just a set of wheels and tires in, most were happy to help because it's a simple operation that nets them a few bucks for little effort on their part.

Also, unless things have changed greatly since I had my Nighthawk, the Michelin Pilot Road series work really well on that bike and should be readily available from any online retailer in that size.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I put the side covers back on, the problem now is that after reattaching the clutch cable, I can't get it tight enough. Before, the adjustment at the lever was as loose as it would go and the adjuster by the clutch cover was as tight as it could be and this was fine, it would start to engage the clutch only having to pull it in a little. Now with both the lever and adjuster as tight as they can be, I have to pull the clutch all the way to the grip to get it to engage enough that it won't pull forwards, most of the movement of the lever is just floppy and loose. I don't think the clutch is ever fully engaged as it will jolt quite violently when putting it in gear from neutral.

What can I do? The only idea I have is that when putting the clutch cover back on, the "pin", which is pulled out when you pull the clutch lever, wasn't all the way out, so now it has further to travel before having any affect.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is the little arm that turns the release shaft splined? You may have repositioned it a spline off. Alternatively the shaft itself is incorrectly positioned with regards to the return spring.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So after around 58000 miles my VFRs oem rotors were a bit warped and bent (possibly from my last tire change) and needed a new set since there was significant drag on a certain part of the wheel rotation and significant pulsing from the brake lever and you could actually feel the front end dive a bit at walking pace. I was looking at the inexpensive options on ebay that look like wave rotors and they're from China. I was curious and did some googling of them and basically found a lot of threads with China bashing, and people saying that you shouldn't skimp on brakes (people that never tried the rotors from china) and found a few reviews of people actually trying them and having great success.

So I said what the heck and ordered a front set off ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151239908625?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Guy had plenty of positive reviews regarding the brake rotors.

The rotors came SUPER fast with the free shipping, 3 days straight from China, They looked and felt right when I opened the package and with the dial caliper measured 5mm thick.

Mounted up with no issues, all the bolts lined up perfectly with the wheel, sprayed a bit of brake cleaner on both rotors.

Rode about 100 miles yesterday on them, after a few quick short stops to bed the brake pads in, I can report the brakes feel FANTASTIC, strong initial bite, better progressive braking power, and plenty of feedback at the lever. They're perfectly straight and my brakes were no longer dragging.

So if anyone is sceptical of buying brake rotors from China I can say my experience with them so far has been great.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Those are pretty nice looking too. Is there a brand on them?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The problem with chinese stuff isn't quality, it's quality control. PB did a test on them awhile back, and reported significantly longer stopping distances - but I'd imagine that china is coming up to speed over time as well, so things are likely to change.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I had those exact discs on my NC30 and I got a retarded amount of vibration through the lever when braking from above 100-odd :shrug:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

The problem with chinese stuff isn't quality, it's quality control. PB did a test on them awhile back, and reported significantly longer stopping distances - but I'd imagine that china is coming up to speed over time as well, so things are likely to change.

Did they go into why that would be? I thought of all the voodoo in braking systems the disk would be the hardest one to gently caress up, it's just a big lump of cast iron after all.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I don't recall exactly, it was a while back. I think they mentioned they had significant problems with consistency in performance - it was hard to modulate as they reached threshold braking. Given how carefully brake pads are constructed these days, it wouldn't surprise me if a lack of quality control on the raw rotor materials causes weird behavior when everything gets hot and starts expanding and poo poo.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Razzled posted:

Those are pretty nice looking too. Is there a brand on them?

Theyre branded as "Arashi" rotors, people have mentioned using the rotors in the track with no issues. I havent experienced any vibrations at speed.

I was initially caught off guard by the amount of initial bite I got out of the brakes it's actually pretty confidence inspiring when you get used to it.

For 179$ a set im very pleased with the performance, the cheapest ebc front rotors I found were about 400-420$ a pair and buying used rotors seemed dubious to me.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Sw-Motech quick lock rails showed up today so I mounted them on the bike. Five minute job right? It took nearly four hours. What a pain in the rear end! They are on super solid though!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Very nice looking.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqcHw_t3QlU that a guy made about cleaning your rotor buttons to get your rotors to quit vibrating.
I did pretty much the same thing on my completely stuck buttons on my EBC rotors and got them to move pretty freely which reduced the vibration I was getting significantly. Mine were super stuck from rust and/or brake dust and took a ton of force to get to move so if yours are just stuck a bit you'll probably be able to clean them up pretty easily. The biggest thing I did that was different was to use penetrating oil first, then brake clean then a spritz of dry silicone.

You already got new rotors but it's worth cleaning up your old ones if possible and keeping them on the side.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Crayvex posted:

Five minute job right? It took nearly four hours. What a pain in the rear end! They are on super solid though!

Same story with my Happy-Trail rack. After much huffing and puffing, I finally decided to take the peg mount off, bolt the rack to the mount, and then bolt the mount back onto the frame.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Made the shift light come on :allears:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's just taking a nap, right?

Right?

:smith:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Slavvy posted:

He's just taking a nap, right?

Right?

:smith:

holy poo poo :saddowns:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Is that a hummingbird? That is still sad even if it's just a plain bird :(

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Looks like a yellowhammer. :saddowns:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not sure what it was but I didn't even notice until I looked down at my mirror and happened to see some feathers by my killswitch. I literally don't know when I killed him :(

I also took 3 pictures because I'm a future serial killer I guess but I at least want to know what sort of bird it was. I buried him in gravel by the side of the road.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Could you still brake like that?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Looks like you hit a silvereye.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Poor little guy. :( On the bright side, it's not endangered, and you didn't smoke a kakapo or something like that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally got the Bandit back from the shop :3:
Man, it's been forever, but at least I know it's in top shape and up to spec on the routine maintenance chores. Plus my folks were really happy to see me. :)

Took some back roads to scrub in and check the PR4s I got installed, and remembered I hadn't gone up to check out the Forks Of The Credit road, something the PO of the Bandit had mentioned when I picked it up.

http://goo.gl/maps/52Rzr

That hairpin in the middle drops a meter or so as you go east, so lotsa fun. There's a big café right before you get onto the road proper, tonnes of bikes parked and riders grabbing an ice cream or w/e. Deffo worth a visit again, but before the traffic hits. Dude ahead of me in a red car was puttering along 10 kmh under the limit, annoying.

And then at the outlet of the road there was a RIDE checkpoint, guess people like to have a few before they hit the forest.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I decided after a couple of long rides last weekend that I wanted to get a Crampbuster or throttle lock or something, but gently caress paying 8 dollars for some dumb little piece of plastic. So I 3D printed some instead for a grand total of $1.65 of plastic for both. Also they're blue and match the bike. Haven't tried them out yet but this PLA is surprisingly strong stuff, so I imagine it'll work just fine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

Could you still brake like that?

Yeah his little neck was so small that even with the brake pulled back it didn't interfere with operation. I think I must have ridden for a good few minutes before even realising he was there and I felt nothing different despite donging it up. After that I just turned around and went home because it really derailed me psychologically for some reason.

Ephphatha posted:

Looks like you hit a silvereye.

poo poo, middle of breeding season too. :(

Chris Knight posted:

Finally got the Bandit back from the shop :3:
Man, it's been forever, but at least I know it's in top shape and up to spec on the routine maintenance chores. Plus my folks were really happy to see me. :)

Took some back roads to scrub in and check the PR4s I got installed, and remembered I hadn't gone up to check out the Forks Of The Credit road, something the PO of the Bandit had mentioned when I picked it up.

http://goo.gl/maps/52Rzr

That hairpin in the middle drops a meter or so as you go east, so lotsa fun. There's a big café right before you get onto the road proper, tonnes of bikes parked and riders grabbing an ice cream or w/e. Deffo worth a visit again, but before the traffic hits. Dude ahead of me in a red car was puttering along 10 kmh under the limit, annoying.

And then at the outlet of the road there was a RIDE checkpoint, guess people like to have a few before they hit the forest.

This always blows my mind. Lets go to the pub and load up on a few relaxing beers before hitting them twisties bro!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

this PLA is surprisingly strong stuff

*crampbuster shatters instantly*

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Today I saw that sedici tank bags were on sale at cyclegear while exchanging my gloves so I picked up one with straps because I couldn't remember if I had a metal tank or not and the guy at the shop who had a DRZ right there seemed to think they all came with plastic tanks even though his was aftermarket.

Welp, turns out SMs have metal tanks due to street legal regulations or something or other, so I'm gonna go back tomorrow and get this:
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Accessories/Luggage/Tank-Bags/Strap-Mount/brand/SEDICI/Como-Tank-Bag/p/41276_00000

It's perfect for me since it has that little cell phone pocket so I can have GPS nav from my phone :toot:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I stuck my iPhone in the clear pocket of my tank bag to use for navi and the thing overheated in about 10 minutes. It was only about 60 degrees out too so you need to keep an eye on it. I've never had it overheat before or since but the thing was hot when I pulled over and took it out of there.

Also watch that you don't pick metal things up when you put the bag down. I put mine down on an open case of sockets and didn't notice that half of them came with the bag when I picked it up. I slapped it on my tank and got the CLANG! that you would expect from hitting your tank with about 10 torx sockets.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Bugdrvr posted:

I stuck my iPhone in the clear pocket of my tank bag to use for navi and the thing overheated in about 10 minutes. It was only about 60 degrees out too so you need to keep an eye on it. I've never had it overheat before or since but the thing was hot when I pulled over and took it out of there.

Also watch that you don't pick metal things up when you put the bag down. I put mine down on an open case of sockets and didn't notice that half of them came with the bag when I picked it up. I slapped it on my tank and got the CLANG! that you would expect from hitting your tank with about 10 torx sockets.

Oh dang I didn't even think of that. Hmm.. Maybe cut some vent holes into it or something? And yeah that reminder will be handy, gotta make sure to put the magnets on with care for sure

e: Actually my dad just bought a roll of carbon fiber adhesive or something like that for his bike's tank. I bet the magnets are strong enough to go through that but it'll be just thick enough to protect the clearcoat.

Razzled fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 1, 2014

tjones
May 13, 2005
I've considered a tank bag for shorter rides so that I don't always have to lug around my backpack. How much does it damage the paint coating on your tanks? That is the only reason why I haven't decided to do it. I've already started noticing small scuffs from where I've been unconsciously brushing my hand against the tank and the plastic finger sliders on my gloves are nicking at the clear coat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Razzled posted:

Oh dang I didn't even think of that. Hmm.. Maybe cut some vent holes into it or something? And yeah that reminder will be handy, gotta make sure to put the magnets on with care for sure

It's the sun. Vents aren't gonna help.