Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I think there's a bit of hyperbole when it comes to talking about the original cut of DBZ and how slow/stretched out it is. A lot of people make jokes about characters screaming for five episodes, but unless I'm forgetting one, the longest power-up sequence (barring gathering energy for a spirit bomb, which is supposed to take an unwieldy amount of time) is Super Saiyan 3, which clocks in at just over 5 minutes. It's definitely slower than the manga or Kai but it's not nearly as bad as some people like to think.

That said, while I enjoy Goku vs 50% Frieza a fair amount, once he goes SSJ and Frieza powers up to 100% the fight becomes unbearable and I can't watch. I even had to skim it in Kai. It's the one part of DBZ I just cannot handle anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kild posted:

For an example: DBZ had Goku charge up the spirit bomb for something like 10 episodes when it was only 2 in Kai.

I have no idea how Child Me had the patience for that. I really don't. It's a little mind blowing in retrospect.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have no idea how Child Me had the patience for that. I really don't. It's a little mind blowing in retrospect.

I don't know how child anybody put up with the series being restarted every 10 episodes until the Android/Cell saga.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Schubalts posted:

I don't know how child anybody put up with the series being restarted every 10 episodes until the Android/Cell saga.

Truly a testament to how DBZ is the coolest series ever :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Holy poo poo you're right! I...I think I blocked that out :negative:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Welp Guldo's dead time to restart from the beginning for the thirtieth time

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I think people need to get off the circle-jerk abridged bandwagon a bit.

Yes, it's a funny take on DBZ, but pick it over the actual product? Are you kidding me?

I like abridged but I recognize what it is; a fun side venture, but definitely not a replacement over the bread-and-butter original.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Yes, it's a funny take on DBZ, but pick it over the actual product? Are you kidding me?

I like abridged but I recognize what it is; a fun side venture, but definitely not a replacement over the bread-and-butter original.

IMO it's hands-down better, but not a replacement since you do need to understand the original events and characterizations for it to be really good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Parrotine posted:

Oh no someone disagreed with you, they must be wrong. :ohdear:

I actually do like Abriged over the official poo poo, because I don't think the official (anime) poo poo is very good.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Genocyber posted:

IMO it's hands-down better, but not a replacement since you do need to understand the original events and characterizations for it to be really good.

Agreed. Half the fun of DBZ:A is knowing the things they are referencing and making fun of. It's by no means a standalone replacement for the original - it assumes you've seen the original run so you get the jokes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Parrotine posted:

The original series is brainless fun. Abridged has all the fun, and the stupid, but is aware of the stupid and is clever about it.

Ergo I find it to be better! Not being ironic in the slightest :)

I'd definitely agree that you need to have seen the original for the full effect but yeah, it's still better.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WhiffleballDude posted:

I think there's a bit of hyperbole when it comes to talking about the original cut of DBZ and how slow/stretched out it is. A lot of people make jokes about characters screaming for five episodes, but unless I'm forgetting one, the longest power-up sequence (barring gathering energy for a spirit bomb, which is supposed to take an unwieldy amount of time) is Super Saiyan 3, which clocks in at just over 5 minutes. It's definitely slower than the manga or Kai but it's not nearly as bad as some people like to think.

That said, while I enjoy Goku vs 50% Frieza a fair amount, once he goes SSJ and Frieza powers up to 100% the fight becomes unbearable and I can't watch. I even had to skim it in Kai. It's the one part of DBZ I just cannot handle anymore.

I might be wrong but didn't Cell take an entire episode to turn perfect after absorbing 18? I only remember because I had a huge nerd crush on Perfect Cell as a kid and seem to remember expecting him to show up in the episode after 18 got absorbed and being sorely disappointed when the narrator came on at the end of it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

crankdatbatman posted:

I might be wrong but didn't Cell take an entire episode to turn perfect after absorbing 18? I only remember because I had a huge nerd crush on Perfect Cell as a kid and seem to remember expecting him to show up in the episode after 18 got absorbed and being sorely disappointed when the narrator came on at the end of it.

I definitely remember that transformation taking forever. I was really surprised a few years later when the transformation was basically instantaneous in the manga.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

dbz abridged is fun, but I still think that people should watch kai.

I also can't understand the hate that kai gets around some other forums. I've seen other comments online about how the original is so much better, which just makes me confused every time I read them.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
The orignal DBZ is the one true DBZ

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

The orignal DBZ is the one true DBZ

I agree, the manga is superior

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Some Numbers posted:

I definitely remember that transformation taking forever. I was really surprised a few years later when the transformation was basically instantaneous in the manga.

Just went and checked, it looks like it pretty much takes the first half of the episode, but then immediately cuts away to Gohan's own transformation scene which takes the other half, with about 3 minutes of Perfect Cell thrown in at the end. Actually kind of an interesting parallel, but yeah, almost nothing of Perfect Cell until NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Monaghan posted:

dbz abridged is fun, but I still think that people should watch kai.

I also can't understand the hate that kai gets around some other forums. I've seen other comments online about how the original is so much better, which just makes me confused every time I read them.

Probably due to preferring the original dub or music score. They're why I prefer the original cut, even if it is worse in most other ways. I've tried watching fight clips from Kai and I can't stand it; the music does not fit DBZ at all.

The Kenster
Jun 21, 2013

First of all, that Clocktown could really use a floating celestial object of doom... With a face!
The best way to experience Dragon Ball is to go read the manga, look up all of the spectacular dub lines (all of them, sad for you, etc.), and go watch Abridged.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

How did I not know this existed? This is amazing.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
DBZA is definitely just better in a lot of ways, even taken seriously, but one thing that it does do is cut out a really massive amount of action. If you're looking for fights Kai is just way better. DBZA often just cuts down a fight into like 3 or 4 quick cut shots that take about 2-3 seconds and then has someone laying beat up on the ground for comedic effect.

I'm not even saying that's a bad thing but if you're looking for guys punching eachother DBZA isn't gonna be very filling.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 31, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Kai is really good, please watch it. Then, watch DBZA. The end. That's all there really is to it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

After that, register a Something Awful forum account and come here to complain about power levels.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Terper posted:

After that, register a Something Awful forum account and come here to complain about power levels.

They're bullshit.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

How did I not know this existed? This is amazing.

You think that is amazing? You clearly haven't seen the Malaysian DBZ dub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG84efH4sw

"Saiya people!"

"Take your hand off from Gohan!"

"Kaio-ken! Up to ten times!"

And of course.

"Now you've shown your real poo poo Saiya people."

Caros fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 31, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite line from Malaysian DBZ:

"WE CAN WANDA SELFISHLY IN UNIVERSE, DESTROY WHATEVAH WE LIKE! EAT DELICIOUS FOOD... AND DRINK DELICIOUS LIKKKAAAA!"

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Kai is really good, please watch it. Then, watch DBZA. The end. That's all there really is to it.

This would be a solid plan if Kai used Falcouner's music. Someday, someone will edit in the one true soundtrack to Kai and it'll be pretty much the perfect DBZ anime.

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why do people complain about the music in kai? It sounded a lot like the music from dragonball to me. A lot more fitting for the series than over the top rock music.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The music to Kai was made by Kenji Yamamoto and I love it because of course that dude did the same thing he did with Budokai music and straight up ripped off rock and metal songs.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

The only experience I have with the Kai soundtrack is the post-plagerism one where there are only three tracks that are played over everything. It's awful.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Caros posted:

You think that is amazing? You clearly haven't seen the Malaysian DBZ dub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG84efH4sw

"Saiya people!"

"Take your hand off from Gohan!"

"Kaio-ken! Up to ten times!"

And of course.

"Now you've shown your real poo poo Saiya people."

In the Bojack movie Krillin is called "Infinite Hands"

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Free Headcrab posted:

Why do people complain about the music in kai? It sounded a lot like the music from dragonball to me. A lot more fitting for the series than over the top rock music.

That's exactly the issue. It works in Dragonball, does not work at all in Dragonball Z.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Genocyber posted:

That's exactly the issue. It works in Dragonball, does not work at all in Dragonball Z.

If you don't love the Falcouner music then GTFO

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Before they had to change the music for because of the plagiarism, Kai had some great soundtracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQGY1MxtjWw

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Genocyber posted:

Also very few people have even seen Dragonball, and certainly not before they saw DBZ and learned that as the norm.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Also very few people have even seen Dragonball, and certainly not before they saw DBZ and learned that as the norm.

This is a real shame. When I finally sat down and read Dragonball, I found that I like it a lot better than DBZ.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
As DBZA said.

NOBODY watched DRAGONBALL.

As for the music yeah, kinda grew up with the falconer music. The orginal music sorta feels weird in DBZ.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
5min take a long time in DBZ because we are seeing it the through the characters' POV :v:
They move really fast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLlf235XyGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pmxxf-Bps8

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The manga of Dragonball/DBZ is so far beyond the anime that it's very hard for me to have a prefrence of whatever bad anime music is slapped on over it. Head cha la is cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Monaghan posted:

Before they had to change the music for because of the plagiarism, Kai had some great soundtracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQGY1MxtjWw

This is pretty good, but it doesn't make me think of DragonBall Z at all. When I think of DBZ, I think of planets shaking, I think of fights that can tear down mountains, I think of a huge, serpentine dragon weaving through a pitch black sky. The Falcouner soundtrack fits that mood to a T.

• Locked thread