Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Every time I've been tailed or hacked I've gotten a popup telling me you guys are crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fateo McMurray posted:

Every time I've been tailed or hacked I've gotten a popup telling me you guys are crazy

I wonder if it's a Uplay thing. I get popups when I'm invaded by a hacker, but not for tails. I used to get popups for tails as well, but it stopped after Act 1. My friend has never seen a popup for either, he just never knows he's being invaded. You say you always see popups.

Are you sure you are getting popups for tails? You should see "YOU ARE BEING INVADED" for hacks, but tails are specifically supposed to be stealthy.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I get that for both, but with tails it doesn't show the % complete like when I'm being hacked.

And why does it always happen right after I spend 10min trying to follow those white lines across creation to unlock a door or something? Never when I'm just loving around, always when I'm trying to do something.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Fateo McMurray posted:

I get that for both, but with tails it doesn't show the % complete like when I'm being hacked.

And why does it always happen right after I spend 10min trying to follow those white lines across creation to unlock a door or something? Never when I'm just loving around, always when I'm trying to do something.

Can you screenshot the tailing warning the next time it happens?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Ataru13 posted:

Do some of the side missions only unlock after a certain point in the story? I'm partway through Act 2, and I've unlocked all the CTOS towers but I seem to be missing some of the serial killer missions, I can't find them anywhere on my map.
Yes.
Basically you unlock unmarked "abandoned" ctos towers through the story line which have investigations & hideouts linked to them

thepaladin4488
Oct 28, 2010
Well, it turns out you can stand on top of the train stations. Of course it was at like 95% before I figured that one out :argh:
Good job that guy.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
you only get warned you picked up a trail when you go to do something that would interrupt a multiplayer session. If you're sandboxing or otherwise unoccupied you don't.

That's why you only notice tails while doing something.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a trick to when you can use Cash Runs? It seems somewhat random when they work and when they're "Not available".

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Also when they hit X to actually initialize a hack and the circle starts you are alerted. Of course by that point the person has potentially been inside your world for ~5 minutes.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So I just spent some time walking slowly around, chilling, and I don't know what people expected, but this is the best looking, most realistic, convincing free roam city I've been in. There's loads of nice little touches and details if you look out for them. The crowds in particular are great, all the different activities you see groups getting up to, dirty men perving on passersby, the way people without umbrellas put their hands in their pockest, heads down and walk faster in the rain, it's great. The downside is that it's all pretty superficial and 'static'. You can't cause emergent pedestrian chaos like in GTAV.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Junkenstein posted:

So I just spent some time walking slowly around, chilling, and I don't know what people expected, but this is the best looking, most realistic, convincing free roam city I've been in. There's loads of nice little touches and details if you look out for them. The crowds in particular are great, all the different activities you see groups getting up to, dirty men perving on passersby, the way people without umbrellas put their hands in their pockest, heads down and walk faster in the rain, it's great. The downside is that it's all pretty superficial and 'static'. You can't cause emergent pedestrian chaos like in GTAV.

ah but you see the game doesn't literally suck you off while you play it, so obviously it didn't meet expectations and also E3 footage and uplay! Didn't you hear about the 90 degree train turn that they fixed before release? This game is literally unplayable because of that :byodood:

Senturion
Jul 29, 2013

leidend posted:

Do the mobile challenges help your at-home character progression at all? (when you're the one on your phone, that is)

The companion app and regular game have no connection past both being Watch Dogs. No benefits for either one.

I actually read something about not needing the game for the companion app either, not sure if true, but that could be why they left out a connection. Source

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Senturion posted:

I actually read something about not needing the game for the companion app either, not sure if true

It's true. All you need is a uplay account, PSN/Live are required if you want to play with console players though.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Motherfucker posted:

you only get warned you picked up a trail when you go to do something that would interrupt a multiplayer session. If you're sandboxing or otherwise unoccupied you don't.

That's why you only notice tails while doing something.

Well that makes sense

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is there any coincidence to the fact that i only ever get invaded right before i do somthing that would cut me off from multiplayer? ALWAYS right when i reach a mission marker, or go to start any of fixer jobs/do a side activity. Almost never am i just walking down the street or in a car going somewhere when i get invaded. At least thisluck means i'm never in the middle of messing with the QR codes or the Privacy Invasions when the happen.

Speaking of invasions,had one where the dude was trying to get up a scissor lift to a CTos tower, but i'd keep sending the lift back down before he could jump off, repeat a few times until he took out a group of civilans with his grenade launcher i guess thinking the guy with his phone out was me. Cops were called, he had to run away and i got a free win! Also it put me in front of that tower he was trying to climb which was onei hadent gotten before either.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is there any coincidence to the fact that i only ever get invaded right before i do somthing that would cut me off from multiplayer? ALWAYS right when i reach a mission marker, or go to start any of fixer jobs/do a side activity. Almost never am i just walking down the street or in a car going somewhere when i get invaded. At least thisluck means i'm never in the middle of messing with the QR codes or the Privacy Invasions when the happen.

You get the message if you try to start an activity while being invaded. they might already have been in your world for some time.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's for regular invasions though, i see the " not available" come up in purple and then i get the "you have been invaded" message a bit afterwards. sometimes it des a little "getting Fixer location" message which i always assumed is fancy game talk for the person loading into my game

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's for regular invasions though, i see the " not available" come up in purple and then i get the "you have been invaded" message a bit afterwards. sometimes it des a little "getting Fixer location" message which i always assumed is fancy game talk for the person loading into my game

Even for normal hacking invasions, you don't get notified that there's someone in your game before they actually initialize the hack. Unless you try to initiate an activity it seems.
For tailing missions, you don't get a notification at all normally.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Speaking of invasions,had one where the dude was trying to get up a scissor lift to a CTos tower, but i'd keep sending the lift back down before he could jump off, repeat a few times until he took out a group of civilans with his grenade launcher i guess thinking the guy with his phone out was me. Cops were called, he had to run away and i got a free win! Also it put me in front of that tower he was trying to climb which was onei hadent gotten before either.
It's almost like clockwork for me - if I fast-travel to a safehouse, it's usually a 50-50 if I can ENTER the safehouse because it tells me someone is now in my world (don't think you can fast-travel if there's a player in already, that would seem unbalanced as gently caress although I may be mistaken). If I go near a ctOS server area, when I'm finished I will usually have someone show up shortly after. If I'm working on a ctOS tower puzzle, they'll show up when I'm halfway through it (which is either laughably easy or infuriating, based on whether they're smart enough to use cameras or not.)

It does seem that failing to initiate a mission/safehouse/etc is a gauranteed warning system. I haven't actually gotten the Pause thing to work, probably because I wasn't very careful to use it constantly, and/or because I wasn't getting invaded.. Usually when I'm fishing for invaders I just fast-travel to safehouess a couple times.

When I win an invasion I usually seem to get invaded within a couple minutes. When I lose, it's pretty much a safe-passage gaurantee for half an hour or so before I need to start watching my back, again.

Phoix posted:

There are a few easy ways to quickly check if you're being invaded. If you try to pause while being invaded the game keeps going and Focus doesn't actually slow down time. Some people just tap pause every so often and it makes them near impossible to successfully tail.
I've invaded people who seemed to spend the whole time in focus because it changed my screen to the wooooosh-sound with green edges. Was a PITA to do/see anything. When people go into FULL EVASIVE MODE for no reason (most speeding cars are just some guy trying to reach a mission or something in my experience, and if you can keep up they'll stop and you can ping them sooner or later,) it seems that they're generally trying to PvP and running around tapping pause or hiding on a hilltop with a sniper rifle, just begging for someone to come invade them.

Whenever I spawn out of my game near a camping spot that someone else was using when I invaded them, I admit I'll usually climb up there and scope out the cameras and wait for a couple minutes in hopes of some idiot running across a field toward me.. ;)

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
As far as I know you have a not insignificant chance to invade somebody in revenge after they successfully invade you, so that would probably explain that.

Remf
Jun 28, 2008

REALLY NOT FEELIN UP TO IT RIGHT NOW. SORRY.
One of the devs spoke a bit about how invasions work in an interview before the release.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/28/watch-dogs-multiplayer-invasions-wont-disrupt-your-play-designer-explains/

quote:

“We try to make sure it’s when you’re available and during your free-roaming and you’re not doing something else that could be disrupted. That’s when we turn it on and allow players to come in and invade you.”

Belanger added that Watch Dogs will learn your preferences as you go, to better tailor when you’re susceptible to invasion or not. “We have a shield,” he continued. “So if someone comes into your game and hacks you, you’re protected. It can’t happen. The less you partake in the multiplayer, the longer the shield.

“If you’re not hacking people and you’re not into that gameplay, the game will recognize and acknowledge that you’re not into that. That’s fine. The shield will slowly become many hours because we’re trying to adapt. There are so many different players and we’re trying to adapt to all of them and make an experience that works for them.”

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Even for normal hacking invasions, you don't get notified that there's someone in your game before they actually initialize the hack. Unless you try to initiate an activity it seems.
For tailing missions, you don't get a notification at all normally.

You also get notified if the invader uses a hackable item (like blockers).

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I love it when hacking targets just give up looking after they think they checked every possible location. :allears:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Junkenstein posted:

It looks really good in ultra quality for everything. Unfortunately it runs like utter dogshit too, even on a 280X with updated drivers. I turned pretty much everything down to high and temporal SMAA just to get it to not stutter constantly and lag for 1-2 full seconds at a time at night.

The keyboard+mouse controls are really loving irritating too. The mouse sensitivity fix posted all over the internet helps, but it's still not great. You can get used to the car handling, I guess, but the acceleration from 0-20 seems ridiculously good, even in cheap lovely cars. Also I just tried the psychedelic city trip thing and the strafing sensitivity is incredibly high, like you tap left or right once, lightly, and you go flying off way to the side.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
What the hell? Since it's come out I haven't had any performance issues but now suddenly today I can't play more that 10 minutes without it crashing on me. :sigh:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

eXXon posted:

It looks really good in ultra quality for everything. Unfortunately it runs like utter dogshit too, even on a 280X with updated drivers. I turned pretty much everything down to high and temporal SMAA just to get it to not stutter constantly and lag for 1-2 full seconds at a time at night.

The keyboard+mouse controls are really loving irritating too. The mouse sensitivity fix posted all over the internet helps, but it's still not great. You can get used to the car handling, I guess, but the acceleration from 0-20 seems ridiculously good, even in cheap lovely cars. Also I just tried the psychedelic city trip thing and the strafing sensitivity is incredibly high, like you tap left or right once, lightly, and you go flying off way to the side.

Ultra runs poorly because you need a 4GB video card to run it (Having two 2GB cards running in SLI/Crossfire won't cut it either because only the VRAM on one card actually gets utilized) without stuttering due to the game using 3.5GB of VRAM at that point, otherwise the game starts to dip into your much slower system memory.

rootphreak
May 16, 2008

HO HO HO
SPREAD EM FOR SANTA
I've been ignoring the bad story and the game has gotten a little more fun. I've got it running on i7 4770k, 2x GTX 770 in SLI, 16GB RAM so everything is maxed out. I noticed the autodetected settings seem to be for one GTX 770 (my guess) as I was able to max out all the settings instead of staying with the suggested one.

A few issues that's probably not new to anyone here - once in a while the frame rate drops to 1-2 fps for a few seconds for no reason at all - probably once every 20 minutes or so, so it's not that annoying. Also - there's no way I can hack those electronic signs without the game crashing on me. I found out I wasn't alone on this. Anyone else have issues like this as well with SLI? I prefer not to have to disable it in order to play the game. Hopefully Ubi fixes this soon.

One thing I found hilarious and just had to open up fraps and record it is a number of ladies around this CTOS Control Center were floating heads or floating bodies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dgj9hpgHPk

edit: Seems like SLI is causing the frame rate drop once in a while as well. Did Ubisoft not test this stuff?

rootphreak fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 31, 2014

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

eXXon posted:

What about vsync? My 7950 can run ultra detail, high textures fine with no vsync, but turn it on and I get the horrible stutter. Measured FPS hardly drops, but it makes a BIG difference.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

Broken Cog posted:

Is there a trick to when you can use Cash Runs? It seems somewhat random when they work and when they're "Not available".

You can't have your phone out to start the run. Took me a while to figure that one out, incredibly stupid, I know.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

tardhat posted:

Am I the only one who wants Aiden's coat? I actually love it, especially in white.

Hey, its what you wanted!

Actually, I think its kinda cool too, but I'd never drop the cash on it.

It'd be fun to go to a comicon as Aiden: you could just stare at your iphone the whole time and be antisocial and you wouldn't be breaking character. :haw:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Man, I just can't get people to hack me.

My notoriety is around 2k, I've got a bounty on me, I've hacked a ton of people, and I never get any invaders.

And yes I checked to make sure the invasions option is set to on, and I can connect to other players just fine.

I just want to shoot sneaky nerds in the face is that too much to ask.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Faltion posted:

You can't have your phone out to start the run. Took me a while to figure that one out, incredibly stupid, I know.

Wow, yeah that's incredibly stupid indeed. Thanks for the heads up!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Junkenstein posted:

What about vsync? My 7950 can run ultra detail, high textures fine with no vsync, but turn it on and I get the horrible stutter. Measured FPS hardly drops, but it makes a BIG difference.

I kept vsync off, but I get obvious screen tearing so I'm considering turning it on.

And actually, I get passable performance with ultra textures, shaders on medium, AO off and everything else high. Possibly something other than just the ultra textures is pushing over 3GB VRAM usage.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Royal Hammer posted:

So far, I have very little a good deal to complain about in Watch_Dogs. Oh wait. WHY am I stuck wearing the most retarded coat design ever made? Do people's lower torsos not get cold in the future?

People actually from Chicago aren't pussies about the cold.

It is a dumb design though. I'd have liked more variety in clothing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
For the guy who asked if the 'copter in the app actually follows people in game, I got the game and ran a test. My friend tried to join my game and it requests a job (comes up on the watch dogs players screen). If they accept, the game places you somewhere, the helicopter spawns and literally everything he put down came at me from the right angles.

I lost after he spawned 3 interceptors and used road spikes. The police AI is loving brutal.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I really have enjoyed the asymmetric ctOS challenge where one guy sets everything off while the other races through checkpoints without a GPS. I wish the cash rewards were larger though - I just hit an ATM for almost $150k, and those checkpoints matches give like $2k reward purse..

One thing I'm not clear on yet regarding Blume employees: when you hack them and they have recently been hacked, I get that it usually tosses you into a bounty lobby (I like being able to choose for the ones with better risk/reward, that's a great touch,) however... When I hack a random Blume employee and then take away their phone before they finish their call - does that prevent me from being invaded by bounty-seekers? Or do I still get a chance for a bounty regardless?

I also noticed someone who's "phone was provided by Blume" or something like that, but it didn't call them an employee - when I hacked *that* NPC no purple marker showed up BUT I immediately afterward got a bad reputation newsreel and had to slap around a half-dozen pedestrians who kept calling 911 on me over the news. It may have been a coincidence but it was the first time I noticed someone with Blume in their description NOT calling in and starting the purple triangle countdown within 10-20 seconds..

My reputation would be higher but I really have too much fun blowing everything up in multiplayer matches.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I really have enjoyed the asymmetric ctOS challenge where one guy sets everything off while the other races through checkpoints without a GPS. I wish the cash rewards were larger though - I just hit an ATM for almost $150k, and those checkpoints matches give like $2k reward purse..

One thing I'm not clear on yet regarding Blume employees: when you hack them and they have recently been hacked, I get that it usually tosses you into a bounty lobby (I like being able to choose for the ones with better risk/reward, that's a great touch,) however... When I hack a random Blume employee and then take away their phone before they finish their call - does that prevent me from being invaded by bounty-seekers? Or do I still get a chance for a bounty regardless?

I also noticed someone who's "phone was provided by Blume" or something like that, but it didn't call them an employee - when I hacked *that* NPC no purple marker showed up BUT I immediately afterward got a bad reputation newsreel and had to slap around a half-dozen pedestrians who kept calling 911 on me over the news. It may have been a coincidence but it was the first time I noticed someone with Blume in their description NOT calling in and starting the purple triangle countdown within 10-20 seconds..

My reputation would be higher but I really have too much fun blowing everything up in multiplayer matches.

Are you at negative rep? I had that happen in my mass murderer game/criminal game.

In my pure good rep game, people are giving me their cars and cheering. Chicago apparently has some REAL bad crime problems.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
God drat the piledriver shotgun is something :catstare:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Broken Cog posted:

Aiden won't start a Cash Run or similar city game if there's a news alert, which is occasionally not audible depending on where you are. That might be what you're running into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Answered part of my own question RE Blume bounties: if you don't take their phone it adds to your standing bounty. If you beat the hacker it removes your bounty completely from what I've seen - although mayb e if you have a BIG one it'd take more than one win (or loss, presumably).

So you can basically farm bounty hunters by hacking blume employees and then standing around a train track or somewhere noisy and hitting pause on and off for about 90 seconds tops. Most people seem to grab any bounty immediately - although now that I've got like 2400 notoriety I assume their risk/reward spread is pretty appealing as well, compared to the "+48/-287" ones I get offered a lot of the time. :unsmith:

Rookersh posted:

Are you at negative rep? I had that happen in my mass murderer game/criminal game.

In my pure good rep game, people are giving me their cars and cheering. Chicago apparently has some REAL bad crime problems.
Yeah, I was at like -75% rep for a while but it got to be obnoxious having random civilians recognize me for walking around with my phone out, or calling 911 for running somebody over or stealing some parked car. I've been slowly working on it but mainly working on gang hideouts so it's not going up terribly quickly. I'm almost back to neutral though!

edit: good lord some guy just got 700 exp off hacking me. My notoriety was at 2450 for reference and I lost 150.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 31, 2014

• Locked thread