Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

... but No. 6 and Gargantia go on the "legitimate" list? :psyduck:

Anyways, looking at those lists tells me you'd probably enjoy Death Note and Mirai Nikki. Death Note is not a good show, but it's theatrical and overwrought in the same ways as the stuff you mentioned. Mirai Nikki is also theatrical and overwrought, but is secretly a good show. And it has Norio Wakamoto playing God.

I think you have that backwards. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why you like Mirai Nikki, having given it two chances and ending up criticizing it vehemently both times. The characters suck, the plot sucks, and there's nothing else of interest despite how hard it tries to impress.

Death Note is a decent show and each segmennt is really well thought out, even the ending, but the problem I have with it is that it's very obvious that they attempted to extend the story multiple times. But like Catfish said, it is theatrical and melodramatic as hell. I think it works for the tone of the show though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ViggyNash posted:

I think you have that backwards. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why you like Mirai Nikki, having given it two chances and ending up criticizing it vehemently both times. The characters suck, the plot sucks, and there's nothing else of interest despite how hard it tries to impress.

It's actually very well-plotted; every twist is foreshadowed, every arc contributes to a coherent theme about love and trust, and it integrates humor and horror more deftly than any other anime I can think of except maybe Psycho-Pass.

Death Note is an ugly mess of super-powered teenagers as teenagers like to think of themselves; tragic, eccentric, smarter than everyone else. Mirai Nikki is about a borderline-autistic fuckup and his stalker/girlfriend messing up every aspect of their lives and only pulling through because love conquers all. It's far more human and interesting than the former could ever hope to be, despite effectively being an anime exploitation flick. Or maybe because it is.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 30, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would never never never recommend Mirai Nikki but that is entirely because I have a reputation to maintain, it really is a lot of fun if you don't take it too seriously and the jokey post credit sequences are perfect.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's all anime, there's no reputation to be ruined unless literally all you did before was recommend Masaaki Yuasa and Satoshi Kon stuff.

I did that for a while. It's not wrong, but it's not as much fun. :v:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Mirai Nikki is braindead, exploitative nonsense, but it has a mastery of atmosphere and tone. The amusement park bit in episode 3, where dread hangs over every silly anime romcom beat knowing that Yuno could turn the place into a bloodbath at any moment, is legitimately good screenwriting.

Tetsuro Araki is a hack who wouldn't know how to do subtlety and nuance if someone had a gun to his head.

I think they're both kinda bad, but Mirai Nikki is definitely more interesting.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just looked up who directed Mirai Nikki and it's the same person who did The Devil is a Part-Timer (Naoto Hosoda), and wow that kind of explains everything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mirai Nikki has some bad arcs where the edginess overwhelms the loveable trash, but it generally makes up for it later. Besides the scene that Redcrimson mentions there's the mock wedding and the final confrontation with Seventh, both of which are hysterically funny and even kind of sweet.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Just looked up who directed Mirai Nikki and it's the same person who did The Devil is a Part-Timer (Naoto Hosoda), and wow that kind of explains everything.

I guess I need to watch Devil is a Part-Timer then.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 30, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I guess I need to watch Devil is a Part-Timer then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRO3JypdZXs

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Devil is a Part-Timer! was probably one of my favorite shows from last year and I think the only thing that had it beat was JoJo's Bizarre Tomokazu Sugita's Excellent Adventure. But seriously, watch The Devil is a Part-Timer.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, Devil Is A Part-Timer is really good. (Except for the thankfully brief bits where the show creeps on the underage coworker.)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Skip episode 10.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, Devil Is A Part-Timer is really good. (Except for the thankfully brief bits where the show creeps on the underage coworker.)

The Devil Tesla posted:

Skip episode 10.

Yeah, these posts are related. Episode 10 is creepy filler, skip it. Other than that one episode, The Devil is a Part Timer is basically a flawless comedy show.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is the only thing I know about Mirai Nikki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI_fgwbmJg0

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Not a big fan of Death Note, and i tried watching Mirai Nikki, did not like it at all.

Also i wasnt aware that No 6 and Gargantia were questionable. Again, i may have poor taste.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

gnome7 posted:

Yeah, these posts are related. Episode 10 is creepy filler, skip it. Other than that one episode, The Devil is a Part Timer is basically a flawless comedy show.

Flawless except for the minor flaw of an entire episode. Also there's only one joke (satan takes working at mcdonalds really seriously lol). Also it's essentially a show about satan's harem.

What I'm trying to say is that it's a very flawed, unfunny show.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Talkc posted:

Also i wasnt aware that No 6 and Gargantia were questionable. Again, i may have poor taste.

It's really not a big deal. Different people like different things and thus total uniformity would be boring.

I have no clue about No. 6, one way or the other. The fact is some folks expected more out of Gargantia due to Gen Urobuchi being involved. Certain issues weren't fully addressed and the tone was also less dark and gloomy than in his other works. That said, he only directly wrote two episodes but still oversaw the structure of the story. I think the series was generally decent and remained true to its intended theme. Also, Chamber rocks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In fairness the two episodes Urobuchi wrote for Gargantia are pretty okay. It's just everything in between is awful in so many different ways it's like they were trying to make Bad Anime Bingo.

No. 6 wasn't offensive or anything, just dull.

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
So I am just getting back into anime after a long hiatus from it of a couple of years. I need some good recommendations. I have all the usual suspects for streaming (Crunchyroll premium which I got for Sailor Moon Crystal, Netflix, Hulu Plus)
My favorites include:
Sailor Moon
Skip Beat
Lovely Complex
Fate/Stay Night
Hellsing
Full Metal Panic
Shukagan no Shana

I enjoy comedy, action, romance and anything that has an interesting story. I really love dark humor. I am a girl I dunno if that helps with recommendations.

Thank you :)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Have you seen Durarara or Baccano? If not, see those. Also, Princess Tutu.

But getting into less universal suggestions...

Tiger and Bunny might be up your alley. It's a Japanese take on superheroes and corporate sponsorship, pretty funny but also serious. You'd probably like Black Lagoon.

Since you're a fan of Sailor Moon, I'm gonna suggest Pretear, which is a pretty short but pretty great series in the same genre. You may also enjoy Utena. (It's not my personal bag but it's a very good show.)

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
I have seen Pretear and Princess Tutu. I loved them both. The other ones you recommended I haven't seen so I am going to have to check them out.

From the trailer I just watched Tiger and Bunny looks like the perfect anime to suit my tastes. I will start it tonight after work.

Thanks!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I personally don't like the Fate stuff but if you enjoyed Fate/Stay Night you'll probably enjoy the prequel, Fate Zero.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Try Princess Jellyfish on Netflix, it's a great show that's a little bit a romance but mostly just funny. I don't know if it's still on Netflix but check it out.

On Crunchyroll there's Chihayafuru, which is a mix of romance and a sports show. The sport is a weird as hell card game that the show doesn't actually expect you to know anything about, so don't worry about that. But yea, great characters and really fun matches.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Srice posted:

I personally don't like the Fate stuff but if you enjoyed Fate/Stay Night you'll probably enjoy the prequel, Fate Zero.

Fate/Zero is really good. There's also going to be a Fate/Stay Night remake coming out soon, which should probably do a better job of adapting the VN than the DEEN anime did.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

twistedbutterfly posted:

So I am just getting back into anime after a long hiatus from it of a couple of years. I need some good recommendations. I have all the usual suspects for streaming (Crunchyroll premium which I got for Sailor Moon Crystal, Netflix, Hulu Plus)
My favorites include:
Sailor Moon
Skip Beat
Lovely Complex
Fate/Stay Night
Hellsing
Full Metal Panic
Shukagan no Shana

I enjoy comedy, action, romance and anything that has an interesting story. I really love dark humor. I am a girl I dunno if that helps with recommendations.

Try out A Certain Magical Index/Certain Scientific Railgun, Index is decent for worldbuilding into the terrific series that is Railgun.

Silver2195 posted:

Fate/Zero is really good. There's also going to be a Fate/Stay Night remake coming out soon, which should probably do a better job of adapting the VN than the DEEN anime did.

It's less of a remake and more the adaptation of the final route, Heaven's Feel. The original series did the Fate route and there's a movie for Unlimited Blade Works. Both of those are alright, but the Unlimited Blade Works movie (obviously) has better animation than the series.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Did they explicitly confirm that it's Heaven's Feel? If so, show me the link.

Because unless they did I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Did they explicitly confirm that it's Heaven's Feel? If so, show me the link.

Because unless they did I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Not that I've heard, just people assuming poo poo. If it does wind up being HF, they'll probably overhaul it in some ways.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, I was honestly assuming it was Heaven's Feel since it's the only route that hasn't been adapted.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Neither the existing F/SN TV anime nor the UBW movie is very good, really, and the point about the details of what the new anime will cover being unknown is fair enough. I'd recommend just reading the VN instead, although some caveats apply (lots of :words: and some bad but easy to skip sex scenes).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

twistedbutterfly posted:

My favorites include:
Sailor Moon
Skip Beat
Lovely Complex
Fate/Stay Night
Hellsing
Full Metal Panic
Shukagan no Shana

It's not as funny as LoveCom, but you might like Kimi ni Todoke, which is on Crunchyroll. Super fluffy and sweet high school romance.

And adding another suggestion for both Chihayafuru and Jellyfish Princess.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In fairness the two episodes Urobuchi wrote for Gargantia are pretty okay. It's just everything in between is awful in so many different ways it's like they were trying to make Bad Anime Bingo.

No. 6 wasn't offensive or anything, just dull.

Gargantia is fine. The fish out of water stuff is fun, and it's biggest flaw is that it's not actually all that exciting, frankly.

Silver2195 posted:

F/SN Z is really impressive in the first part and slightly less so in the second but overall is pretty great. As a stand alone, I think it's awesome, as a prequel it dilutes the Vn a bit, but the VN is also loving long as poo poo and doesn't have the impact of the anime unless you are used to VN pacing and can accept the format.

Talkc posted:

Not a big fan of Death Note, and i tried watching Mirai Nikki, did not like it at all.

Man you have really do have some weird like / dislike vibes. Give deadman wonderland a shot. There's a pretty good chance you'll hate it if you didn't like mirrai nikki, but it's 12 eps and couldn't hurt given your likes list. (spoiler: it has no ending, so if you do like it jump on the manga at some point, which is finished IIRC.)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I somewhat enjoy VN's as a genre and I could not stand Fate/Stay Night. Like, maybe it gets more interesting later, but I slogged through at least five hours of boring anime tripe and saw little of interest. Especially disappointing considering how amazing Fate/Zero was.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm still pissed that Netflix dropped the first season and only has the second now, because I keep wanting to show it to my friends because of how hilariously over-the-top it is. I might have to buy it at some point.

I wasn't thinking about this, but if you're still interested in knowing a couple days later, Funimation has the entire first season (subbed) up on youtube for free

https://www.youtube.com/show/sengokubasara/videos

They're shown in kinda a wonky order in that list but they should all be there. If you wanted the dubbed version some of the early episodes of that are thrown in too.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

twistedbutterfly posted:

My favorites include:
Sailor Moon
Skip Beat
Lovely Complex
Fate/Stay Night
Hellsing
Full Metal Panic
Shukagan no Shana

I just started watching Lovely Complex but if you like that, check out Toradora. It's a fun romance/comedy/slice of life thing that manages to stay rather endearing despite some moments of abject stupidity. I guess what I mean is, when it's stupid, it's stupid in ways that make sense for high school kids to be stupid.

Also watch Chihayafuru since it's literally the best thing in the last few years. Both of these are on Crunchyroll in their entirety.

And yeah, watch Fate/Zero (also on Crunchyroll).

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 31, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

Neither the existing F/SN TV anime nor the UBW movie is very good, really, and the point about the details of what the new anime will cover being unknown is fair enough. I'd recommend just reading the VN instead, although some caveats apply (lots of :words: and some bad but easy to skip sex scenes).
Even the latter doesn't have to be a problem anymore; the PC version of Réalta Nua has had a translation for a few months. I think there are some bugs with the way it plays the openings at the beginning but otherwise it seemed pretty much done.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Even the latter doesn't have to be a problem anymore; the PC version of Réalta Nua has had a translation for a few months. I think there are some bugs with the way it plays the openings at the beginning but otherwise it seemed pretty much done.

Huh, good to know. All the other Type-Moon translations have stalled for a year or so.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fenrir posted:

Also watch Chihayafuru since it's literally the best thing in the last few years. Both of these are on Crunchyroll in their entirety.

Hey you reading this, this ain't hyperbole, get on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24GoHwX5uQg

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

twistedbutterfly posted:

My favorites include:
Sailor Moon
Skip Beat
Lovely Complex
Fate/Stay Night
Hellsing
Full Metal Panic
Shukagan no Shana

Watch Ping Pong the Animation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

Huh, good to know. All the other Type-Moon translations have stalled for a year or so.
Well they didn't really have to translate much, just the replacement scenes. Most of the work was in adapting takaJun's work to fit into RN PC with I believe a little bit of extra editing that some routes desperately needed. They also added in the Vita OPs, which is nice in theory because they're pretty great but for some reason are buggy as hell (wrong aspect ratios, wrong display size, they'll play upside down if the game isn't fullscreened, etc.).

Even so there are so many little tweaks and fixes in RN PC that it has to be considered the version to get at this point.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I bookmarked read or die sometime somewhere and am curious as if I should watch/read the series and/or its other spin offs. A quick reason why would be nice too as I don't want to accidentally spoil it from reading wikipedia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chillyrabbit posted:

I bookmarked read or die sometime somewhere and am curious as if I should watch/read the series and/or its other spin offs. A quick reason why would be nice too as I don't want to accidentally spoil it from reading wikipedia

The original OVA is very action-heavy, sort of an anime James Bond Does Metal Gear Solid sort of deal.

The show that followed is largely about other characters and somewhat darker.

Both have issues with fanservice at times.

• Locked thread