Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

There isn't, it's poo poo.

Jamie McDonnell "two time world champion" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Got a soft spot for McDonnell because he trains in the lovely town I live in sometimes, but he's not close to being one of the best there'll ever be in his weight class.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.
That was a peach of a hook, though.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

the crowd reactions so far have been mixed which surprises me. groves must've really cocked up the build up

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
When does the main fight start?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

willie_dee posted:

When does the main fight start?

9:45 walk out, but a lot of boxing walk outs are 15 minutes long so any time from 10:00 I'd say.

thehappyprince posted:

the crowd reactions so far have been mixed which surprises me. groves must've really cocked up the build up

He's been acting like a cocky little poo poo who wouldn't give Froch any credit despite the bad stoppage probably saving him from a worse knockout in the next round. He's not come across as remotely intelligent either. He's not likeable at all.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
DeGale looked good in the first round against Gonzales. It's taken him longer than expected to reach the world level, but here he is. The winner of this fight is the mandatory to the Froch/Groves winner.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

And the second round has gone exactly how you'd expect James DeGale vs a Virgil Hunter fighter to go.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Cigar Aficionado posted:

DeGale looked good in the first round against Gonzales. It's taken him longer than expected to reach the world level, but here he is. The winner of this fight is the mandatory to the Froch/Groves winner.

degale is a great advertisement for every promoter who isn't mick hennessy

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

peak british reffing. first he let degale back in after the first knockdown without making him go back to the corner and then that. foreign fighters need to start protesting or some poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That was a bad stoppage for a #1 contenders fight. It's the kind of stoppage you see in a journeyman squash match. We've had some pretty quick stoppages all night here, though the others were arguably good ones.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

They've really learned nothing from the debacle last time, have they. Worst refs in the world.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
lmbo Robin Leach as a ring announcer? Way to be with the times Top Rank

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

I'm normally someone who will defend referees to the end because they've got a lot of responsibility for fighter safety.

But THAT was a terrible stoppage. He took the shot and put his guard up!

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

of all the cards to be your usually lovely british ref self tho

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Robin Leach is cracking me up.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

thehappyprince posted:

of all the cards to be your usually lovely british ref self tho

The stoppages, watching a morbidly obese Terry O'Connor waddling around the ring... it's all just really embarrassing

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

'one word, loyalty and trust'

haye looks like a cruiser weight again

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

Now this makes me actually sort of want Groves to win now, because I'd love to see Degale rematch with him and smash him up.

Good point from Haye about Andre Ward's conspicuous absence.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

ward doesn't have a passport

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

New Found Power posted:

Now this makes me actually sort of want Groves to win now, because I'd love to see Degale rematch with him and smash him up.

Good point from Haye about Andre Ward's conspicuous absence.

I would not be surprised if Froch called it quits after this fight even after a victory. If he does, Hearn will be setting up Groves vs Degale 2 for Froch's gold or doing his best to do so.

Not convinced DeGale would beat Groves this time either though.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The Mitchell stoppage was pretty bad too. These British refs are just shameless.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I had DeGale beating Groves tbh. It always seems to get overlooked that it was a poo poo fight though, I wouldn't be paying to watch it again.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The Mitchell stoppage was pretty bad too. These British refs are just shameless.

It's nothing to do with Shameless, it's all about the British Boxing Board of Control and policy of referee responsibility and fighter protection.

Don't blame these refs, blame the refs who let Gerald McClellan and Michael Watson get beaten into states of permanent disability on prime-time telly in the 90s.

E: loving hell, speak of the devil.

New Found Power fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 31, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

New Found Power posted:

Yeah, seriously. He seems to be doing quite well, which is fantastic.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

New Found Power posted:

It's nothing to do with Shameless, it's all about the British Boxing Board of Control and policy of referee responsibility and fighter protection.

Don't blame these refs, blame the refs who let Gerald McClellan and Michael Watson get beaten into states of permanent disability on prime-time telly in the 90s.

It's not that, it was for a while, but nowadays it's endemic. Ian John Lewis allowed Shannon Briggs to get beat into intensive care; they're just bad refs.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

always bad in favour of the british or hyped fighter coincidentally.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Howard Foster has an uncanny ability to not only be a poo poo referee but block the best possible camera angle at any given time.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

New Found Power posted:

Pffft. There's been a history of terrible, terrible stoppages in Britain, where a guy was barely even hurt.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

last minute pick is still froch. i want groves to win tho i just think he had his best chance last time. hope he proves me wrong tho!!

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I've had 10 big ones on Froch (plus a pound on the draw). I really want Groves to win so I'm seeing all outcomes as win/win.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm still thinking Froch, and I want him to win too. Like you say, I have the feeling that Groves' best chance was the first fight.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Lol double decker bus

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
George Groves looks like he's going to park the bus

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

willie_dee posted:

Lol double decker bus

and he doesn't even drive it to the ring. That'll cost him £1.60 either way

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

For gently caress's sake.

I'm never complaining about a Broner entrance again.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Jim Lampley ain't down for this bullshit :colbert:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I figure UKIP worked on Groves' entrance.

Definitely want Froch to win now.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
why were his entourage putting their hands up to stop the crowd getting at him when they were three feet away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

WastedJoker posted:

I figure UKIP worked on Groves' entrance.

Definitely want Froch to win now.

froch does have polish heritage so you could be onto something

• Locked thread