Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
So I start tailing some guy. He's on foot, I spawn in a fancy sports car. I drive up, make it look like I'm stopped at the lights, and start the tail. He jumps onto some crappy car, drives past me, and comes to a screeching halt. Naturally, I think he's sussed me out and I'm about to eat a bullet. Nope, he just jacks my fancy car from me and drives off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I've lost access to half my guns on the PS4 version! Any fixes out there?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Broken Cog posted:

Wow, yeah that's incredibly stupid indeed. Thanks for the heads up!

Actually I don't think it's the phone it's Heat. I can't do a lot of things with even one bar of heat but as soon as it runs out I can do Cash Runs no problem.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Fans posted:

Actually I don't think it's the phone it's Heat. I can't do a lot of things with even one bar of heat but as soon as it runs out I can do Cash Runs no problem.

Maybe that as well, but I've been testing it out now, and unequipping your profiler lets you do cash runs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Christ I can finally play now. I bought this on the 28th (my birthday) on impulse while on vacation up in the Detroit area, and I only just got home to start playing. I've been poring over this thread in the intervening days to try and not be terrible when I start off.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Palpek posted:

Are physics in this game really so bad that you can't dick around like you would in other open world games because you just drop through the map?

http://a.pomf.se/epwhqo.webm

http://a.pomf.se/cawqpj.webm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqNgA5MJSYs

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Palpek posted:

Are physics in this game really so bad that you can't dick around like you would in other open world games because you just drop through the map?

http://a.pomf.se/epwhqo.webm

http://a.pomf.se/cawqpj.webm

I've never managed to do any of these things ever in the retail version. It seems to show up in videos of the pirated copy a lot though

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

VarXX posted:

I've never managed to do any of these things ever in the retail version. It seems to show up in videos of the pirated copy a lot though

There isn't anything even interesting happening in the second video, it's just got collision that is flattened on the train tracks so that you can drive up there without bumping on every single railroad tie?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

There isn't anything even interesting happening in the second video, it's just got collision that is flattened on the train tracks so that you can drive up there without bumping on every single railroad tie?

He's stopping the trains on a dime whenever he gets in their line of sight. Whenever I try that they just run me over.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Snuffman posted:

Hey, its what you wanted!

Actually, I think its kinda cool too, but I'd never drop the cash on it.

It'd be fun to go to a comicon as Aiden: you could just stare at your iphone the whole time and be antisocial and you wouldn't be breaking character. :haw:

It is a nice coat, when worn properly. I guess Aiden just wears it like a twat, only connecting at that band at chest level.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 31, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hm. Go to do some MP for the first time today and it tells me "Cannot connect to public sessions, please check your NAT type". Except its never told me anything like this before and my NAT type is always open. Anyone had similar problems?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Orv posted:

Hm. Go to do some MP for the first time today and it tells me "Cannot connect to public sessions, please check your NAT type". Except its never told me anything like this before and my NAT type is always open. Anyone had similar problems?

I had this problem earlier, and a simple computer restart fixed it. It might have been a coincidence, but it's worth a shot.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
So I managed to hack a guy out in Pawnee in the middle of loving nowhere, with not a single npc anywhere in sight. Spent most of the time behind a 2'x2' concrete block, changing sides when he checked it :haw:

It was super tense and hilarious, I was right in the guys line of sight at least 3 or 4 times when he had his back turned, and for the last 10% I started setting off lures nearby. Poor dude just started shooting randomly until I won :D

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I had this problem earlier, and a simple computer restart fixed it. It might have been a coincidence, but it's worth a shot.

I disabled "EnableNATTraversal=" in the config file. Works, though I'll have to switch it back to join private games.

Which lead to me hacking Piers Morgan, who plug pulled at 98%, which is... poetic.

E: People who have been reporting tailing targets running directly to them and shooting them in the face are onto something...

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 31, 2014

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

ghostwritingduck posted:

I've lost access to half my guns on the PS4 version! Any fixes out there?

What did you do prior to that? Did you die while tailing/hacking someone ?

Feel free to pm me.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Is there any real difference in how the story plays out with Aiden's family depending on whether you chose to shoot guards and such in the face all the time or just incapacitate them? I would've done my usual no killing kind of play through but blowing guys up with transformers and fuse boxes or crushing them with shipping containers was too fun.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Orv posted:

E: People who have been reporting tailing targets running directly to them and shooting them in the face are onto something...

People have definitely cottoned on to the tailing, it just makes it a bit harder, so you have to respond by being sneakier. Provided they don't just boost off and leave you in the dust anyway. Getting yourself involved in a car pileup is usually a pretty good spot to hide :D

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Is there any real difference in how the story plays out with Aiden's family depending on whether you chose to shoot guards and such in the face all the time or just incapacitate them? I would've done my usual no killing kind of play through but blowing guys up with transformers and fuse boxes or crushing them with shipping containers was too fun.

Not as far as I know, and it's pretty much impossible to go through the story from Act 2 and onward without breaking some eggs anyway.

Basically: Go hog wild!

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Hard posted:

What did you do prior to that? Did you die while tailing/hacking someone ?

Feel free to pm me.

I'm not sure... It definitely happened after playing lots of tailing/hacking and I probably died a time or do during that. I started over since I didn't even have the option of buying the guns again. Luckily, I hadn't gotten pretty far.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

People have definitely cottoned on to the tailing, it just makes it a bit harder, so you have to respond by being sneakier. Provided they don't just boost off and leave you in the dust anyway. Getting yourself involved in a car pileup is usually a pretty good spot to hide :D

I mean I spawned in, and the walked immediately to that exact spot and shot me in the back as I moved away. Which I would think is not how that's supposed to work. :shrug:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So how does the stupid Mayor thing work in check in? I'm at spot I go by frequently and have 7 check ins, but the mayor is the same as it was yesterday listed with 3 check ins.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Orv posted:

I mean I spawned in, and the walked immediately to that exact spot and shot me in the back as I moved away. Which I would think is not how that's supposed to work. :shrug:

You can pause the game to see if you're being invaded or not. Once you know you are, it's pretty drat simple to figure out who the person responsible is.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

So I managed to hack a guy out in Pawnee in the middle of loving nowhere, with not a single npc anywhere in sight. Spent most of the time behind a 2'x2' concrete block, changing sides when he checked it :haw:

It was super tense and hilarious, I was right in the guys line of sight at least 3 or 4 times when he had his back turned, and for the last 10% I started setting off lures nearby. Poor dude just started shooting randomly until I won :D

My brother was in a sparse parking lot hiding in a dumpster. At the last moment where there is a super narrow search circle there was literally no where else he could be and the guy is just running in circles around it. I felt bad for how dumb he was.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Beat the game and restarted at Realistic difficulty. Just noticed in the opening cut screen. The woman you bump into is Poppy

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
I've installed the app on a Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (the first one). The app starts, I can do the tutorial but I can never connect to another player.
Is this a general issue right now, or probably just bad luck?

I've also noticed that when I'm in the game on PC and I try a mobile challenge it will always (except the very first one I tried a couple of days ago) disconnect after a while. I've never been able to finish the mobile challenge, after the very first time I tried, because the other player gets disconnected.

All other online MP work just fine.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Not sure if anyone's run across this particular bug, but it sure is interesting. Had no idea what happened the first time, trying to respond to the crime that happens here. I was on a motorcycle then, and it turns out they aren't very blast resistant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_UIUHwMqWU

tardhat
Jan 2, 2006

Ah Skeet! Skeet! Skeet! Skeet! Skeet! Skeet!
Do cars ever get better, or is this stealth uPlay car really as good as it's gonna get? I'm in act II currently.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

A Lamer posted:

Not sure if anyone's run across this particular bug, but it sure is interesting. Had no idea what happened the first time, trying to respond to the crime that happens here. I was on a motorcycle then, and it turns out they aren't very blast resistant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_UIUHwMqWU

Sounds like you had an explosively good time.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

tardhat posted:

Do cars ever get better, or is this stealth uPlay car really as good as it's gonna get? I'm in act II currently.

The lambo you unlock for 25k is probably the best of the "performance" cars, it has 4 bars in the handling stat. I haven't unlocked the two LE editions you get as progression award though.

Otherwise, the most expensive truck is actually surprisingly good, especially in PvP. It has good handling, good speed and acceleration, and much better durability than most cars so you can win ramming fights easily. Plus it has the offroad stat.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
As much as I love the multiplayer, they have some kinks to work out.

Like on an hack mission, where he's supposed to be worried about finding ME, I get into the world and am spawned on foot and he's already 400 meters and climbing away from me in what I would have to assume is a Sports Car. I lost serious points because time ran out before I even got within 400 meters of him.

That is bullshit.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

As long as you haven't started hacking the dude you can quit with no reprecussions to yourself

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
The cleanest table in Chicago.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Once I started constantly doing tailing missions it was pretty funny, as when I was done with mine I was immediately invaded. Every time I found the guy within about 30 seconds because a lot of people like to just sit in parked cars.

Which is actually really noticeable because the parked cars always have their engines still running.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

As long as you haven't started hacking the dude you can quit with no reprecussions to yourself

See you say that, but you are wrong.

Because I lost points...

And I never started hacking him...

Or even got within 1200 feet of him.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Once I started constantly doing tailing missions it was pretty funny, as when I was done with mine I was immediately invaded. Every time I found the guy within about 30 seconds because a lot of people like to just sit in parked cars.

Which is actually really noticeable because the parked cars always have their engines still running.

Which is dumb as poo poo because you can cut the engine and hide in a car decently.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Feenix posted:

Because I lost points...

Which is dumb as poo poo because you can cut the engine and hide in a car decently.

Did you hack something in the environment? Because you're able to opt to abandon a contract if you haven't given yourself away and engaged in some fashion.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Feenix posted:

Because I lost points...

I've definitely quit out without losing points once when I was in the same situation you describe. Maybe you lose points if the timer runs out, although that would be a strange design choice. Pretty easy to get around just by quitting the mission just before the timer expires, though.

Also, I just successfully hacked someone that definitely knew I was coming by jumping from camera to camera until I managed to get a lock on him.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Feenix posted:

Because I lost points...

From what you said it sounds like you didn't leave but ran out of time, which counts as a loss. If you invade someone and it's in a lovely position you can go to the menu and hit quit mission to end the invasion without losing anything.

If they have noticed you (they don't even have to have scanned you I guess, if you've done something to make them look at you even if they're out of scanning range) you will lose points for quitting.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Tailings are getting to be so much fun. There's no circle to stay in, there's no way to fail other than dying or failing to escape once profiled. I just infiltrated some guy who's just starting out around the first CTOS base you have to unlock probably right after he unlocked it. He figured out someone was there and was driving around and I raised blockers which he could not yet unraise. I blew a transformer in his view and blacked out the city from a few cam jumps as I hid behind a big building and he searched for me. At 98% I chased him down in the car he was in and smashed into the back of it, knocking him over a steam pipe which I blew up to disable his car just as I disappeared.

The paranoia is just as much fun to induce as it is to experience.

Feenix posted:

Because I lost points...

If someone gets the "you're being invaded" message I don't know if you can quit out or not without losing points, and you can get that message by doing things like trying to join matchmaking for online contracts yourself or by trying to interact with a mission of any kind, even side quests. I do know that if someone tries to start an invasion of their own and can't because you've invaded them that they get that big purple circle that updates slowly showing where you are. I check pretty consistently running around doing things and I've gotten notified of hacker invaders before they actually got close enough to profile and hack me and killed them.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 1, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

hopterque posted:

From what you said it sounds like you didn't leave but ran out of time, which counts as a loss. If you invade someone and it's in a lovely position you can go to the menu and hit quit mission to end the invasion without losing anything.

If they have noticed you (they don't even have to have scanned you I guess, if you've done something to make them look at you even if they're out of scanning range) you will lose points for quitting.

No I left with 2 minutes to spare. Best guess is it was just a bug. But I watched my bar drop.

I just hacked a high profile bounty by hiding in a dumpster and chasing him around with cameras. I would blow poo poo up and gently caress with him. It was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Also you'll only ever lose like 10-40 points. I'm nearing in on the last tier of notoriety upgrades right now, and almost all my hacks are "Gain 40/Lose 2000"ish because I'm so much higher level then everyone else. I've never quit out of a match, and even when I get kicked out by the timer I'll still only lose like 20 points. When the gains/losses are that large, 20 points doesn't really matter much.

And yeah, for those pissed off about the last notoriety reward, that thing is a real rough ride. You basically need to win a good 30-40 hacks without losing ( because you'll drop so much notoriety ) to get it that if you do it's probably not even very useful for you.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Tailings are getting to be so much fun. There's no circle to stay in, there's no way to fail other than dying or failing to escape once profiled. I just infiltrated some guy who's just starting out around the first CTOS base you have to unlock probably right after he unlocked it. He figured out someone was there and was driving around and I raised blockers which he could not yet unraise. I blew a transformer in his view and blacked out the city from a few cam jumps as I hid behind a big building and he searched for me. At 98% I chased him down in the car he was in and smashed into the back of it, knocking him over a steam pipe which I blew up to disable his car just as I disappeared.

The paranoia is just as much fun to induce as it is to experience.

I've started playing the unnamed gunman. I'll stand in a crowd of civvies and as soon as the host turns his back and starts running away, will start shooting near him. By the time he's turned around, I'm running away with all the other civvies in various directions. As long as I follow the smaller group of runners, the host will always go for the bigger group to check it and miss me ( because the bigger group = bigger chance to find him! ).

It also causes some hosts to just start gunning down civilians trying to flee, which brings in the cops.

• Locked thread